Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Allow merchants to remain idle for as long as the deed is paid

I took a few months off, but with deeds paid out for a year, then come back to find nearly all my merchants went on vacation, dumping all my goods into the mail, where they were at risk of expiring.  Now I have a huge task of pulling it all from mail and replacing on merchants - or just selling the merchants and using a bunch of alts for storage, which is far less convenient.

Suggestion:  Remove the silly timer on merchants, so they don't quit and stuff it all in the mail, so long as the merchants remain on a paid deed.

• Like 4

I agree with that as long as it's the merchant's owner's deed. That way merchants would be pulled from public markets after a while but on their own deeds they'd be safe... where they obviously wouldn't bother anyone.

• Like 4

or maybe don't use merchants for storage

storage alts, lmc's come to mind, locked lmc is good till it decays

Or maybe use them for storage, tho - since they dont decay as lmc does.

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Or maybe use them for storage, tho - since they dont decay as lmc does.

a new lmc will last for years 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nordlys said:

So will merchs. :P

well you are wrong there

a merchant if left idle long enough will close up shop

when it does that it will mail all your goods back to you, if you happen to not be on for that 2 week time frame your stuff is sitting in the mail box, kiss it all good bye

a locked lmc will not do that to you

• Like 1

I know that very well. They still doesnt decay - which means that if you just trade with them once every 3 months they never disappear. And if you should go on holiday they will end up in your inventory. LMC decays.

Edit: and to stay on-topic; yea, i cant see why they shouldnt be on deed as long as the deed has money in coffers.

Edited by Nordlys

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I know that very well. They still doesnt decay - which means that if you just trade with them once every 3 months they never disappear. And if you should go on holiday they will end up in your inventory. LMC decays.

you are missing the point, the lmc will last years, maybe more than 5 or more, no idea about that, one slip up with the merchant and your stuff is gone

so many people i see missprice stuff, plop it on the merchant then cry when it is traded away for a few iron coins

I think youre missing the point. Should merchants go on holiday on deed or not? :P

And no, merchants still doesnt decay. Yes, they despawn, or leaves the location tho.

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

when it does that it will mail all your goods back to you, if you happen to not be on for that 2 week time frame your stuff is sitting in the mail box, kiss it all good bye

Actually, it is 6 months for items mailed back to the owner via an inactive merchant :P

Also, this would make marketplaces pretty hard to work with, merchants of inactive players not leaving would mean all spots taken up by a merchant with 1 overpriced item

• Like 1

Maybe have it only for the deed owners merchants?

• Like 2

Merchants aren't designed for long time decay free storage of items, there are items that do allow storage, and thus the price difference.

• Like 2

LMC don't decay as most think... unsure the methods for decay checking or what not on them but I bought my large magic chest 4 years ago and even after moving it to 4 different deeds, it's still just over 10dmg.   At that rate I have maybe another 5+ years left on it lol.  Even my small magic chest is 4 years old, 25dmg, hwoever it gets drug into a cart for trips and is occasionally offdeed.

I have multiple merchants but personally prefer the inventory sorting capabilities of storage alts.  Then again, I have a good PC and logging alts on/off is very easy for me.  in less then 1min I can log an alt on, grab items i want, log it off.  Granted on chaos it's a bit different.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Merchants aren't designed for long time decay free storage of items

Well, they tend to work as that since nobody travels to my remote part of Wurm to buy from them. I didnt think of the marketplace issue tho, but as suggested above; will it be possible to only have the deed owners merchants get influenced by the suggestion in OP?

9 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Actually, it is 6 months for items mailed back to the owner via an inactive merchant :P

Merchant items mailed back sit in the mailbox for 6 months?

I still know people that quit and come back and exceeded even that time frame. ;)

LMC still a better choice, or prem'd once storage alts

• Like 1

10 merchants for 100 euros.  10 LMCs for 500 euros.  No thanks.  No, I'll be making a bunch of alts, premming and selling referals.  Sell my merch contracts to someone else.  Let's see, roughly 200 rare+ shards, divided by 5 per free alt = 40 more alts CC has to keep in their databases.  Or, just 4 merchants to keep active.  My other 6 merchants aren't loaded down as heavily, so I can probably get by with 6-10 more free alts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

10 merchants for 100 euros.  10 LMCs for 500 euros.  No thanks.  No, I'll be making a bunch of alts, premming and selling referals.  Sell my merch contracts to someone else.  Let's see, roughly 200 rare+ shards, divided by 5 per free alt = 40 more alts CC has to keep in their databases.  Or, just 4 merchants to keep active.  My other 6 merchants aren't loaded down as heavily, so I can probably get by with 6-10 more free alts.

Well you want to use something that was never intended for long term storage rather than use the items created for long term storage, maybe you should just realize your request is pointless and have it closed now due to your own reason being is you are too cheap to put out the silver for a large magic chest.

@JakeRiversyou can't argue with math, he had a problem and a solution.. with current mechanics and gone for the efficient "long-term solution", except merchants pulled a prank on him and bailed.

Did he already lose 100e from the merchants.. or they get mailed back for 6months also?

It is a bit weird to keep around 200 rare rocks tho:ph34r:, but.. besides that... IMO there should be better storage for longer vacations.

I didn't know they had a timer, they sure didn't have a timer at horsedog.. i had to fund an alt for a month to get rid of them. (gladly, i can't remember the details)
-edit- i remembered the details.. deeding over them failed so the code had to be modified.

Maybe it would be possible to receive an email notification when you have in-game mail. (with the option of turning it off)
that'd be a near-perfect fix. 

but yeah, no fix needed if no problem presented, remove timer for on-deed merchants +1

Edited by Steveleeb
italic

20 hours ago, Finnn said:

@JakeRiversyou can't argue with math, he had a problem and a solution.. with current mechanics and gone for the efficient "long-term solution", except merchants pulled a prank on him and bailed.

Did he already lose 100e from the merchants.. or they get mailed back for 6months also?

It is a bit weird to keep around 200 rare rocks tho:ph34r:, but.. besides that... IMO there should be better storage for longer vacations.

At first, when I saw all my goods in the mail, I was panicking.  There were just large signs saying the merchants packed their bags and left.  THen an ally member was kind enough to tell me to look in my pack for the merch contracts and they were all there.  So NO real loss of goods or $$, unless I let it grow too much mold in my mail box.  However, the time to replace merchants and reload them is inconvenient to say the least.

WHy so many rare rocks?  By golly, they are rare!  I use them to refresh my alts that stand around starving, when I have big trips planned for them, or when I get new alts that aren't in the green.  I mined enough rock shards on Xan, in my canal, to build a tall stone wall around Xanadu - 2.5 times around. That is where most came from.

• Like 1

+1.   I don't use merchants for storage, but if someone plants a merchant on their deed that merchant should not leave until AFTER upkeep has run out.

• Like 1