Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

4 Years - 1 Spell

Hopefully a few folks will take theirs to suggestions ;)

The more new spells suggested; the more likely the Devs are to give us some!

I struggle to see the actual aim here

Is it to make priests more worthwhile, or to have little things to help priests play? 

A mixture of both; at the moment there are less than 10 (I only counted 4) priest mains on Xanadu.  The rest are alts.

Some additional useful things to do (both high and low end), as well as some magic orientated QoL (little things to make the travel heavy lives of priests better), would go a long way to encouraging someone to play a priest, rather than use them as alts.

The ramifications of this are widespread and quite positive.

I am of the opinion that the way priests are now, they have no use other than an alt. You can't do 80% of the tasks a normal player does, and in return you get a list of spells of which most are pretty useless. Damage spells such as Ice Shard are completely worthless both in PVP and PVE and the same goes for many other spells, leaving priests to do very specific tasks, and unable to have a real role as main characters. Any player who decides to play only a priest is locked away from most of what Wurm has to offer.

Priest spells definetely need a rework. Adding spells that help alleviate these shortcomings, or provide them with an edge that allows for them to be useable as a main class would go a long way towards making them viable characters.

• Like 1

I can't say there's been any suggested that accomplish that, most are either basic cantrips (no one will have a priest just to make a boat go a fraction faster) or are different versions of existing spells.

What are some actual ideas of spells that make maining a priest easier? 

The single biggest thing crippling priests is they are a Character Class, the only Character Class, in an otherwise classless game. There's nothing to counter-balance them except very heavy restrictions. Without those restrictions, everyone would be a priest.

No amount of new spells is going to give priesthood any significant new life as long as that is true.

If you want to lift those restrictions, it's going to take new Character Classes that are equally attractive (Knights, Druids, etc.) to prevent everyone from being the same thing, and thus negate the need for the restrictions in the first place.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

The only thing that, as it stands, would make priest able to be a main class, is spells or abilities that allows a priest to do things they can't do otherwise.

For example, a player with a Priest as a main cannot make his own house. This means they can't have a bed to recover favor, without help from another player. A priest without an alt is completely reliant on others for their comfort as they cannot do the most basic, mundane things. 

-A priest can't build shelter for himself. 

-A priest can't build their own storage to secure his possessions.

-A priest can't build transportation of any kind. They can lead and ride a horse, but a horse isn't even mildly effecting to haul goods.

-A priest can't cross to another server or sail without someone else building/selling them a boat. 

Some priests can't even light a fire since they can't dig fuel nor cut down a tree to make kindling, which means they can't cook their own food.

and more...

Sure, you can always go unfaithful and do these actions, but that would mean you would no longer be a priest. 

Now, as an example, this can be addressed by magic. Spells that create temporary housing, god given missions for priests that reward them with basic, low value items to assist with their daily activities, such as a medium sized chest, or the ability to create very simple, crude, and unenchantable tool, or even a spell that allows them to fill up a forge or an oven with fuel without actually providing the fuel themselves.

There are many issues on a priest that should be addressed before someone decides to use them exclusively as their only character. A friend of mine suggested that priests should be able to perform all of the gathering professions. This would go a very long way to making them more useful than a simple enchanter or "tile dropper" or an exclusive pvp character that gets logged off when there is no fight to be had. I for one use my Nahjo a lot for mining and have even been working its Mining skill so I can have her mine while I craft, something I cannot do with my Vynora. To be honest, I can't see a reason why all priests wouldn't be able to do all gathering professions. I can't see it really breaking anything.

• Like 1

While i'd probably enjoy all restrictions lifted from priests as i heard they have in WU on some servers,

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I am of the opinion that the way priests are now, they have no use other than an alt.

why is this a problem?

13 minutes ago, zigozag said:

While i'd probably enjoy all restrictions lifted from priests as i heard they have in WU on some servers,

why is this a problem?

Because a priest is an account, and accounts are meant to be played, not to log in so often to cast a couple of spells and then log out. Devs, correct me if I am wrong, but I really doubt that when the Priests where created, the devs intended them to be used this way.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with having an alt priest. All I am saying is that someone who can't afford to have 2 accounts, cannot reliably choose to play a priest. Thus, the priest class is locked out to most people.

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

(no one will have a priest just to make a boat go a fraction faster)

And yet they'll grind FC and SD up and go to rifts so they can make their boat/cart go a fraction faster.

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

What are some actual ideas of spells that make maining a priest easier? 

You'd be surprised at just how much some minor cantrips (having to log on a free alt to remove a freshly sprouted tree from one's lawn is both immersion breaking and generally annoying), along with a few extra fireworks (anything suggested here would have a heavy impact on balance and a lot of the useful effects that could have been new enchantments or spells are now firmly in the realm of runes), would help.

A few useful spells: Create Water Source, Newbie Low Aggro Buff as a spell, Imbue Altar (praying at the altar grants a certain buff spell if the player would have gotten a faith tick), Transmute Ores (turns one ore type into another with a loss of QL and adjustment of mass), Deed Enchants (prevent flowers being spread over by trees, increase harvest QL average (not cap), faster forage/botanise spot refresh)

Hmmm... spells to simulate crafting/harvesting actions would be nice. It wouldnt compete with regular crafters/harvesters because of the favour pool limit, and would allow priests to do all types of actions, at a cost of favour per action.  So they could chop down one tree to get fuel, in order to cook, but woulnt be able to clear cut an area, might be able to grow some vegetables for sustenance, but not enough to replace a farmer, etc.

So you could at least satisfy all the basic needs.  The skill used for the action could be tied to faith or channeling, and capped at something reasonable like 50, to keep priets out of the competitive pool of crafters. They would still need crafters and harvesters for quality items, big houses, to fill stores of food, etc. But at least a main, solo priest, wouldnt be absolutely helpless.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Hmmm... spells to simulate crafting/harvesting actions would be nice. It wouldnt compete with regular crafters/harvesters because of the favour pool limit, and would allow priests to do all types of actions, at a cost of favour per action.  So they could chop down one tree to get fuel, in order to cook, but woulnt be able to clear cut an area, might be able to grow some vegetables for sustenance, but not enough to replace a farmer, etc.

So you could at least satisfy all the basic needs.  The skill used for the action could be tied to faith or channeling, and capped at something reasonable like 50, to keep priets out of the competitive pool of crafters. They would still need crafters and harvesters for quality items, big houses, to fill stores of food, etc. But at least a main, solo priest, wouldnt be absolutely helpless.

I can get on board with this. On the surface it looks like allowing a priest to achieve simple tasks without actually lifting restrictions, but it might have unwanted side effects. Would require testing and adjusting.

For one I wouldnt think proper for priests to create permanent or long lasting items that replace crafted versions: using the examples above, produce obtained from a spell should not be storable and have a higher, faster decay so it can only be used for cooking. Or a water source spell creates a water tile, not water, requiring someone to make the actual well (priests can always walk to the water to get some himself) or create a very miniscule amount of water, enough to fill your bar once at the cost of favor.

Spells should always add to existing mechanics or compensate for restrictions without rendering other existing mechanics useless.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I can get on board with this. On the surface it looks like allowing a priest to achieve simple tasks without actually lifting restrictions, but it might have unwanted side effects. Would require testing and adjusting.

For one I wouldnt think proper for priests to create permanent or long lasting items that replace crafted versions: using the examples above, produce obtained from a spell should not be storable and have a higher, faster decay so it can only be used for cooking. Or a water source spell creates a water tile, not water, requiring someone to make the actual well (priests can always walk to the water to get some himself) or create a very miniscule amount of water, enough to fill your bar once at the cost of favor.

Spells should always add to existing mechanics or compensate for restrictions without rendering other existing mechanics useless.

There was a suggestion about spell.. to make watersource tiles some time go... and another for new decorative fountains indoors.. that could be reviewed again with new walls/floors... 

There's some balance issues with generating resources.. water/food/fuel/items.. (again F2 ingame.. many skills.. why should 1 get to mimic several, it already interferes in several skill's everyday business).

Crafters cant go far w/o enchanted tools - fact.. why should priests have it easy with spells and compensate their own cons? Where and what is wrong here with this?

If you want to get a few of your annoyances from everyday life ingame.. list a few.. see what devs think.. reasonable thing are going to change, 2017 roadmap already mentioned future rebalancing of spells for deities. Things are going to get better, but you could help by digging up some of the problems.. or create a few more imbalances to be worked on.. later.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

There was a suggestion about spell.. to make watersource tiles some time go... and another for new decorative fountains indoors.. that could be reviewed again with new walls/floors... 

There's some balance issues with generating resources.. water/food/fuel/items.. (again F2 ingame.. many skills.. why should 1 get to mimic several, it already interferes in several skill's everyday business).

Crafters cant go far w/o enchanted tools - fact.. why should priests have it easy with spells and compensate their own cons? Where and what is wrong here with this?

If you want to get a few of your annoyances from everyday life ingame.. list a few.. see what devs think.. reasonable thing are going to change, 2017 roadmap already mentioned future rebalancing of spells for deities. Things are going to get better, but you could help by digging up some of the problems.. or create a few more imbalances to be worked on.. later.

You are missing the point completely, when you press F2 and you are a priests, thats the list of all the things you CANT do, down to basic survival.  When it comes to catering the basic needs, a priest is below a free account, and it shouldnt.    Imagine if suddenly, Shipbuilders couldnt do any type of farming/cooking/forestry action, because "they are supposed to be part of a community, if you want to build ships, you have to be in a village".

Rebalancing is good and all, but it does not adress any of the issues, and to be honest, I have no hope that the devs will make a rebalancing that is both sound, and not f*cking over PvE priests.

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

You are missing the point completely, when you press F2 and you are a priests, thats the list of all the things you CANT do, down to basic survival.  When it comes to catering the basic needs, a priest is below a free account, and it shouldnt.    Imagine if suddenly, Shipbuilders couldnt do any type of farming/cooking/forestry action, because "they are supposed to be part of a community, if you want to build ships, you have to be in a village".

Rebalancing is good and all, but it does not adress any of the issues, and to be honest, I have no hope that the devs will make a rebalancing that is both sound, and not f*cking over PvE priests.

That is a bit different tho... shipbuilders have spent their time to grind that shipbuilding... and that farming and that cooking and that forestry skill..
IF.. I was a dumb shipbuilder with 99 skill.. and I wanted a 50 or 100WOA saw/hatchet/etc... what do I do? whine on forums how I can't do it alone, or go to  a priest for enchant?(oh wait... i need to buy that saw/hatchet/etc.. from a blacksmith..)
You're complaining how you can not build a boat.. well that boat-maker.. have a similar problem, you could be drinking and cursing together..over the same 'issue' in the nearest inn.

List your inconveniences, let devs decide what worths to be changed..

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

Crafters cant go far w/o enchanted tools - fact.. why should priests have it easy with spells and compensate their own cons?
Where and what is wrong here with this?

54 minutes ago, Finnn said:

That is a bit different tho... shipbuilders have spent their time to grind that shipbuilding... and that farming and that cooking and that forestry skill..
IF.. I was a dumb shipbuilder with 99 skill.. and I wanted a 50 or 100WOA saw/hatchet/etc... what do I do? whine on forums how I can't do it alone, or go to  a priest for enchant?(oh wait... i need to buy that saw/hatchet/etc.. from a blacksmith..)
You're complaining how you can not build a boat.. well that boat-maker.. have a similar problem, you could be drinking and cursing together..over the same 'issue' in the nearest inn.

List your inconveniences, let devs decide what worths to be changed..

Dude....  70 botanise, 70+ forestry, 70+ HFC here.  Trust me, priests grind too, we just get a lot less for it and tend to have to work harder since the grind is tougher.  ;)

• Like 1

Priests should be able to build altars, if nothing else. Also, praying on water/rock/tree tiles - why does it not give faith like an altar does?

I am a main priest and have always been, but it is not really possible to play alone or without the use of a secondary account, currently making priests mostly a side business that becomes unattainable for more casual folks who do not desire to run more than one character. As for playing with a friend, your friend will grow tired of you, really fast, because you will be constantly needing help with everything.

On a given day, this is what priests will run into:

- A tree grew on my farm overnight, between harvests, and I couldn't cut it down to re-sow my corn.

- My lantern went out, but I cannot dig a new piece of tar to relight it.

- I want to make a grooming brush to tend to my horses, but I cannot harvest wemp. (could be suggested to botanize a few hours)

- I helped plan a house and added an opening instead of a floor in the wrong spot, but deity forbid me from removing the unfinished floorplan (this one really boggles my mind, why can I plan it but not remove it).

- The colour of the paint on my boat isn't as nice as I hoped, but I cannot make a wire brush to remove it, because I cannot mine a piece of iron.

I do not believe more varied spells will help this problem, unless the spells specifically are aimed at problems like these. I am also not opposed to more, interesting spells, but I do not think they alone would solve the issue.

It's not the overall restrictions like you cannot build your house, or you cannot improve items - you know that when you priest. Its the minor annoyances that happen along the way that make it so difficult. I believe this is the reason people are not willing to play as a priest. These are things to consider for the devs. Perhaps there should be some lenience to simple single actions against your god, and not the very harsh penalty of doing one single thing. Fo obviously wont be thrilled to see me going on a woodcutting spree, but he may understand that I need a piece of wood, to make a spindle with - to make the cloth he wants me to sacrifice.

Or, mayhaps, at a very slow pace, priests can use spells to create these items they cannot gather - much like the dirt spell, which oddly enough, is available to the priest that can actually dig dirt. Otherwise, simply using the hand, instead of the desired tool, to make it that much more tedious, will not be penalized. Digging tar by hand, mining some iron just by clawing at it. Breaking a tree down one branch at a time. Time consuming, and likely to be miserable ql products, but could make the difference in above examples.

• Like 1

You started good.. and I was like :o, I'll +1 this.. and than I read ...

22 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

On a given day, this is what priests will run into:

- A tree grew on my farm overnight, between harvests, and I couldn't cut it down to re-sow my corn.

- My lantern went out, but I cannot dig a new piece of tar to relight it.

- I want to make a grooming brush to tend to my horses, but I cannot harvest wemp. (could be suggested to botanize a few hours)

- I helped plan a house and added an opening instead of a floor in the wrong spot, but deity forbid me from removing the unfinished floorplan (this one really boggles my mind, why can I plan it but not remove it).

- The colour of the paint on my boat isn't as nice as I hoped, but I cannot make a wire brush to remove it, because I cannot mine a piece of iron.

How much time does a priest need between harvesting and replanting *

There's more than 'one' way to get lamp/lantern fuel now *

Can't botanize? it's not a limitation.. it's called being lazy *

ok.. you got me here.. deities forbidding floor plans..( not really that much of a problem.. as you'll need another char to build the structure tho

You could forage/botanize for iron lump or ask somebody *

What does that * mean? Nothing special.. like the limitation you list.. do not apply for every priest.. and they vary.. Fo priests are the worst when it comes to limitations.. fact, but taboos for others are not as bad.

~+1.. until the part where you need no tools to gather things... everybody needs them.. and you just want to be able to do things with hands - gather tar, claw iron veins, removing a tree by 10,000 branch snaps?

You want to be able to craft or gather, followers probably want to cast small spells also.. po-ta-to... po-tah-to, nothing new... I don't think it's balanced to let somebody grind a skill with no tools, skills.. or gathering mats in bulk.. for the obvious reasons.

Changes to deity spell tables were promised.. hopefully.. the nonsense with balance around gathering mats and basic needs is going to be also addressed.

But I can't see ignoring basic requirements.. to kill 1 problem.. creating 2/+ more.. as a solution to these small issues.

9 minutes ago, Finnn said:

You started good.. and I was like :o, I'll +1 this.. and than I read ...

How much time does a priest need between harvesting and replanting *

There's more than 'one' way to get lamp/lantern fuel now *

Can't botanize? it's not a limitation.. it's called being lazy *

ok.. you got me here.. deities forbidding floor plans..( not really that much of a problem.. as you'll need another char to build the structure tho

You could forage/botanize for iron lump or ask somebody *

What does that * mean? Nothing special.. like the limitation you list.. do not apply for every priest.. and they vary.. Fo priests are the worst when it comes to limitations.. fact, but taboos for others are not as bad.

~+1.. until the part where you need no tools to gather things... everybody needs them.. and you just want to be able to do things with hands - gather tar, claw iron veins, removing a tree by 10,000 branch snaps?

You want to be able to craft or gather, followers probably want to cast small spells also.. po-ta-to... po-tah-to, nothing new... I don't think it's balanced to let somebody grind a skill with no tools, skills.. or gathering mats in bulk.. for the obvious reasons.

Changes to deity spell tables were promised.. hopefully.. the nonsense with balance around gathering mats and basic needs is going to be also addressed.

But I can't see ignoring basic requirements.. to kill 1 problem.. creating 2/+ more.. as a solution to these small issues.

When I harvest, I usually take two or three days since not all my crops are ripe at the same time, plenty of time for a tree to pop up. They've also have overtaken the flowers I planted around my beehives before, but I believe that is a different issue that could be adressed. I've had it happen countless times. Infact, it happened yesterday. My farm is only 60 tiles total and it still happened.

Iron lump sure you can botanize for. What about the other materials that exist -  a few pieces of gold to make a crap ql statuette, so I can bless a lamp. You nailed the key issue - YOU COULD ASK SOMEBODY. You could also login your alt, and that's what I'm getting at. You could ask somebody for all these things. You will be asking somebody for things a dozen times a day - little things that make no sense. Try playing a priest for a while. Even if completely okay with the no build no imp no (gathering) - you'll run into so many small problems. that you wouldn't even have thought of beforehand. You cannot create your own altar when you want to pray. You have to find another person with the same religion or a skilled jewelsmith to make your altar for you. This seems strange to someone who dedicates their life to the gods.

I'm okay with asking - or paying - someone to imp my tools and armour, when I need a thousand rocks mined, and when I need to build a house and bed. Im fine with not being able to build a ship, improve my horse gear or terraform a deed. It's the smaller stuff that is plain frustrating.  These are just examples that spring to mind on a day to day basis. I'm not capable of producing any kindling to light my oven without somehow obtaining wood, yet somehow its well accepted that priests are pretty much always assigned cooking tasks. What about making a clay bowl to cook that food in - or a frying pan? How often do I stand here, with ample skill in natural substances, a fine hide, yet no ability to make leather, because I cannot produce ash without wood. I can go on forever. I'm not going to because I've already highlighted the issue enough.

Followers / non priest want to be able to cast small spells in return - and guess what we have ingame. Runes, a karma system, and imbue potions, which I consider the equivalent of spells - infact, some are full blown spells, like charm, mend, mole senses, locate soul,  sunder, reveal creatures and I think a few more.  This is already in game, regular followers being able to imbue magic potions, attach runes, and even cast spells and summon creatures.  

Anyone would be able to slowly gather with just their hands, but it would, much like crude tools, be simply far worse of a way to do it. Slower, worse ql, less skill and all that. If the complete lack of tools is the issue. Make them crude hatchets with a very quickly declining spell on them. Crude shovels with magranons shields with only a single use in them, just like magranons demise on a weapon will shatter the shield spell in a single blow. Come up with something, these are examples.

My point was that a very slow, very ineffecient, and very undesirable way of gathering minor amounts of materials to help get past asking somebody each time you run into one of these issues could help a lot to encourage people to play priests. It's not a way to grind bulk without tools. It a way to gather low ql and low amounts of something that the god frowns upon in a situation where there is a need, not a want.  

This is a call out to the devs, not to forum users so I'm not going to bother responding with more examples. I believe the underlying intention of this forum thread, albeit slightly differently called out was to address some way to help encourage priest mains - this is my belief as a main priest player.. The dev team may do what this as they see fit, but this is the reason I do play more than one account. Which maybe is exactly how they want it to be. $$$

As far as spells - convert rock tile to ore vein with 50 hits - move a water source spring - charming allows wild boars and spiders to be tamed - dominating allows lava spiders to be dominated - fungus cast on a field tile will yield a crop of mushrooms in a few days - light token castable on items such as ships makes the item act like a lightsource, rather than the holder - interesting ideas I have read in the past but on their own wouldn't encourage more priests.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alyeska said:

When I harvest, I usually take two or three days since not all my crops are ripe at the same time, plenty of time for a tree to pop up. They've also have overtaken the flowers I planted around my beehives before, but I believe that is a different issue that could be adressed. I've had it happen countless times. Infact, it happened yesterday. My farm is only 60 tiles total and it still happened.

Iron lump sure you can botanize for. What about the other materials that exist -  a few pieces of gold to make a crap ql statuette, so I can bless a lamp. You nailed the key issue - YOU COULD ASK SOMEBODY. You could also login your alt, and that's what I'm getting at. You could ask somebody for all these things. You will be asking somebody for things a dozen times a day - little things that make no sense. Try playing a priest for a while. Even if completely okay with the no build no imp no (gathering) - you'll run into so many small problems. that you wouldn't even have thought of beforehand. You cannot create your own altar when you want to pray. You have to find another person with the same religion or a skilled jewelsmith to make your altar for you. This seems strange to someone who dedicates their life to the gods.

I'm okay with asking - or paying - someone to imp my tools and armour, when I need a thousand rocks mined, and when I need to build a house and bed. Im fine with not being able to build a ship, improve my horse gear or terraform a deed. It's the smaller stuff that is plain frustrating.  These are just examples that spring to mind on a day to day basis. I'm not capable of producing any kindling to light my oven without somehow obtaining wood, yet somehow its well accepted that priests are pretty much always assigned cooking tasks. What about making a clay bowl to cook that food in - or a frying pan? How often do I stand here, with ample skill in natural substances, a fine hide, yet no ability to make leather, because I cannot produce ash without wood. I can go on forever. I'm not going to because I've already highlighted the issue enough.

Followers / non priest want to be able to cast small spells in return - and guess what we have ingame. Runes, a karma system, and imbue potions, which I consider the equivalent of spells - infact, some are full blown spells, like charm, mend, mole senses, locate soul,  sunder, reveal creatures and I think a few more.  This is already in game, regular followers being able to imbue magic potions, attach runes, and even cast spells and summon creatures.  

Anyone would be able to slowly gather with just their hands, but it would, much like crude tools, be simply far worse of a way to do it. Slower, worse ql, less skill and all that. If the complete lack of tools is the issue. Make them crude hatchets with a very quickly declining spell on them. Crude shovels with magranons shields with only a single use in them, just like magranons demise on a weapon will shatter the shield spell in a single blow. Come up with something, these are examples.

My point was that a very slow, very ineffecient, and very undesirable way of gathering minor amounts of materials to help get past asking somebody each time you run into one of these issues could help a lot to encourage people to play priests. It's not a way to grind bulk without tools. It a way to gather low ql and low amounts of something that the god frowns upon in a situation where there is a need, not a want.  

This is a call out to the devs, not to forum users so I'm not going to bother responding with more examples. I believe the underlying intention of this forum thread, albeit slightly differently called out was to address some way to help encourage priest mains - this is my belief as a main priest player.. The dev team may do what this as they see fit, but this is the reason I do play more than one account. Which maybe is exactly how they want it to be. $$$

As far as spells - convert rock tile to ore vein with 50 hits - move a water source spring - charming allows wild boars and spiders to be tamed - dominating allows lava spiders to be dominated - fungus cast on a field tile will yield a crop of mushrooms in a few days - light token castable on items such as ships makes the item act like a lightsource, rather than the holder - interesting ideas I have read in the past but on their own wouldn't encourage more priests.

Straight from the mouth of a priest main.

I didn't even think about the altars . As a Fo priest, you have no way to make your own altar. This is ludricous. Marg and Libila you can argue they can mine gold and make statuettes until your eyes bleed in order to creation-level jewelry high enough to make your own altar. But Fo and Vynora? Nope.

And yes, you could ask someone. Sure. My friend started his deed about a week or so ago. He borrowed my Nahjo priest to drop some tiles. But he had no altar. We hawked Trade for 3 days straight looking for a Jewelsmith to make that altar for him to no avail. I had to level Jewelsmithing myself to 25 to make it happen.

Now lets assume I am new to Wurm. I fiddle around as a  new player for a bit, join a village, then decide I want to be a Vynora priest. I make my own boat, travel to Chaos, hit the white light, and come back. All great. 

Then my Village major stops playing, and I am forced to strike it out on my own. I plant a deed, ask a friend to make a house for me, and get set up.... Now its time to make my altar... ######. I cant mine my own gold. Game over.

Pleas explain to me how a priest is unable to make his own altar. Its like making a boatmaker unable to make keels...

Priests can make altars if they have jewelrysmithing skill.  However, their diety may not allow mining.

Well, things have currently reached an interesting point so I'll just leave an additional thought here.

Group summons:  Link spells for each of the gods allowing them to create a temporarily summoned creature from a natural feature.  The idea is that each of these spells costs 150 favor to cast and lasts as long as existing summons (wargs), summons follow the caster as if led.  A caster may only have Channeling/30 summons active at once.

Fo - Turns a tree into an ent; the strength of the ent is based on the age of the tree.  Oaks and willows are slightly tougher.  Weak vs cutting and fire

Mag/Lib - Animates a statue as a golem; the strength of the golem depends on its QL.  Marble statues are slightly tougher than stone.  Weak vs crushing wounds

Vyn - Calls forth a monster from the deep.  Strength depends on the depth of water it was called from.  Slightly tougher if called from a kelp tile.  Weak vs ice

Such spells would have to be carefully balanced for PvP, or just disallowed on PvP clusters if within enemy territory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Well, things have currently reached an interesting point so I'll just leave an additional thought here.

Group summons:  Link spells for each of the gods allowing them to create a temporarily summoned creature from a natural feature.  The idea is that each of these spells costs 150 favor to cast and lasts as long as existing summons (wargs), summons follow the caster as if led.  A caster may only have Channeling/30 summons active at once.

Fo - Turns a tree into an ent; the strength of the ent is based on the age of the tree.  Oaks and willows are slightly tougher.  Weak vs cutting and fire

Mag/Lib - Animates a statue as a golem; the strength of the golem depends on its QL.  Marble statues are slightly tougher than stone.  Weak vs crushing wounds

Vyn - Calls forth a monster from the deep.  Strength depends on the depth of water it was called from.  Slightly tougher if called from a kelp tile.  Weak vs ice

Such spells would have to be carefully balanced for PvP, or just disallowed on PvP clusters if within enemy territory.

an interesting example. Can you identify any possible issues that might be encountered? 

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Worgs are green tome feature tho<_< (favor cost is redic.. not hard to get, ez to find 2 priests and cast that..), you also want to have up to 3 of these out at a time? for pve? really?:huh::wacko:

Living trees are a thing... as a model.. deers and something else were using an animated tree model, instead of making trees alive.. I'd rather make it so .. they are copies.. else it's easy to go and grief people.. taking their oaks for a walk:ph34r:

Pet.. sure... what bothers me or starts a few thoughts in my head is the part where.. your pet could be buffed, healed and be used to tank things.. turning you into a summoner class, w/o much need for fighting skills.. just enough favor to keep it all going. Which partially.. was only a thing for people with animal taming/dominated creatures and tome-sorcery spawns.

vynora random pvp buff.. ok..(fight or take bribes by pvpers.. I don't mind), just curious about pve application of this..

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

wut:blink:

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Straight from the mouth of a priest main.

I didn't even think about the altars . As a Fo priest, you have no way to make your own altar. This is ludricous. Marg and Libila you can argue they can mine gold and make statuettes until your eyes bleed in order to creation-level jewelry high enough to make your own altar. But Fo and Vynora? Nope.

And yes, you could ask someone. Sure. My friend started his deed about a week or so ago. He borrowed my Nahjo priest to drop some tiles. But he had no altar. We hawked Trade for 3 days straight looking for a Jewelsmith to make that altar for him to no avail. I had to level Jewelsmithing myself to 25 to make it happen.

Now lets assume I am new to Wurm. I fiddle around as a  new player for a bit, join a village, then decide I want to be a Vynora priest. I make my own boat, travel to Chaos, hit the white light, and come back. All great. 

Then my Village major stops playing, and I am forced to strike it out on my own. I plant a deed, ask a friend to make a house for me, and get set up.... Now its time to make my altar... ######. I cant mine my own gold. Game over.

Pleas explain to me how a priest is unable to make his own altar. Its like making a boatmaker unable to make keels..

Some priests level that with CoC small anvil + making rings,etc(anything with tiny weight).., ~25-30 was ~barely enough with ql70 or better large anvil to make an altar w/o failing the weight of the altar(failed attempt costs ~0.5kg gold/silver)..

Once you skilled up js, you're now happy you have that tho, right? Another problem for followers is their inability to 'bless' or make a useful metal altar on their own:unsure:.

Your friend builds you a house, etc and you can't get an altar? It's 20-30 js... not that hard to get.. it's a game for grinding skill.. which allows you to take things further(balanced? within game's idea? yea..) it is slightly.. annoying? kind of.. 

I admit... that at least 1 of the types of altars should be allowed for the priests to make on their own, allowing them to grind for their own rare/sup... altar if they want to..

Not all priests are unable to mine, you signed to be that way since 30/+ faith, what is the problem now?