Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

4 Years - 1 Spell

@Rathgaryou're taking/adding to shipbuilder's ONLY perk to their craft, making it less useful.. if you want speed you just get a cast.. or it turns into a luxury that only people with main or alt priests could use because it's useful for only few minutes/hours.

How do you balance that.. 

Also I'm aware that you're a troll, almost none of your posts I've seen around ever aims for other than "tickling" people for the lulz. I'm unable to take you seriously.

What about...

- a spell that has a long cool-down, but allows the caster to discover a random, previously unknown (to the caster) cooking recipe.

- a spell that allows you to change the name of a bred animal.

- a spell that removes one random affinity from a target player.  The target player would have to accept the spell via dialog box.  This would work exactly as if an affinity was lost to PvP death.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

@Rathgaryou're taking/adding to shipbuilder's ONLY perk to their craft, making it less useful.. if you want speed you just get a cast.. or it turns into a luxury that only people with main or alt priests could use because it's useful for only few minutes/hours.

Also I'm aware that you're a troll, almost none of your posts I've seen around ever aims for other than "tickling" people for the lulz. I'm unable to take you seriously.

The way it works is rare boats add a shadow passenger per level of rarity up to the maximum passenger capacity of the boat, if I understand it correctly. It would allow you to fill empty seats with a "passenger" until that spot is occupied. A ship builder has the ability to increase the speed by improving quality, something the spell would not do.

For example, a rare sailboat with a dark passenger would get the same effect of having 3 people on board. The spell would be negated as soon as the capacity of the boat is exceeded. Only one spell is allowed to be cast on the boat at a time, just like any other spell enchant.

And yes, this would make it so only priests can make reliable use of the spell. Thats the whole point of a priest. If everyone could do it then it wouldnt be a spell. Same as WoA. Same as light of fo. Same as Courier. Same as any other priest spell there. Its priest only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Pot meet kettle

I back my points.. not just yapping.. different? different.. ok

@Angelklaine cool idea.. but if it's possible to use one or the other.. to get the same speed boost effect.. than... why bother going to a shipbuilder if the nearest priest(which probably helps you with a whole lot of other things..already) could boost your boat? No need to mention rare boats.. not that many of them around.

It's once again only making the shipbuilding only less useful if it's perks could be replaced with another cast. 

If you want new things.. come up with new content.. instead of chewing on existing one. Crafters could cast spells? where, now? runes? rift materials aren't exacly.. piling up on their own while a player afks, right? Not to mention.. that rift times aren't convenient for many players and there's few usual faces at rifts every time. Shipbuilding is a niche craft with 1 perk.. that took years to get it.. and ~year later it's about to be taken away:rolleyes:, in favor of one of the two things that sell the most in the game.. casts and bulk building materials.

Blending existing mechanics is only blurring the borders of whatever balance crafts/casts had.:mellow:

If this sounds crazy... press F2 ingame.. look at all that skills... your idea is to mix them all into 1.. and just cast spells to get things done, channeling is only 1 skill and it's far from being useless or niche.. some priest tables have really terrible monetizing opportunities on the other hand.. when compared to others..

Only that its not making a rare boat nor ship builders useless. I dont know where you are getting that. It adds to the already rare boat. Rare boat + captain = 2 people + spell 3 people. It effectively makes the boat as fast as having 3 people on it instead of the 2 you would get without the spell. And what if the boat is up to capacity? Then you already have max speed, for the whole trip, without having to recast. In that situation, the rare boat makes the spell useless, not the other way around.

Read on how rarity works on boats so you can understand what I mean. It looks to me like you are confused about it. No offense intended.

Edited by Angelklaine

Basicly the spell turns a normal boat into a rare, or a rare into a supreme, or a supreme into a fantastic... For 15 min.

@Angelklaine:rolleyes:, I have a rare knarr(made on my own), I know how all that works... my point is... by creating interchangeable mechanics.. you could just ignore one of the other, and still get the any boost with the skills at hand.

Spoiler

15min buff for a person without a priest is almost useless, while this perk for a priest is rockstar poseidon experience showing middle fingers at shipbuilders and rarity luck. Balance to this could be fatigue ticks in the amount of hours... for a small speed boost.. to make that priest nearly useless for the current/next day, but nobody wants that right.. it takes something useful.. to get a tiny advantage and get somewhere sooner. When it's a talk about balance... heads turn the other way, nobody wants that.. "let's just keep messing up the skills, and combine them all mix it up and bake a cake...".

Not to put a spanner in the argument here but...

*Logs in free alt and places on boat*

Did I just make a joke of shipmaking?  Would I be making a joke of priests?

Seriously, I personally think that, given how easy it is to get the extra rower effect, such a spell would do no harm.

Also some more food for magical thought : compass enchants (pointing to specific (non-unique) animals, a pre-set deed, a particular type of plant etc).

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Seriously, I personally think that, given how easy it is to get the extra rower effect, such a spell would do no harm.

Wurm is fond of alts tho, and lag that comes with them.. you want to skip the lag and performance issues?

You want balance? Let shipbuilders cast BOTD and so on.. for only 15minutes, there's no harm in that..a full 104BOTD cast for only 15minutes, how could that affect priests?

All comes down to .. " I want what s/he does, but make no mistake.. I do not want them to mess with my bussiness... "

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Not to put a spanner in the argument here but...

Also some more food for magical thought : compass enchants (pointing to specific (non-unique) animals, a pre-set deed, a particular type of plant etc).

Free alts do not count towards extra passengers for speed. Otherwise you would be seeing boats full to capacity to make them go faster. They have to be premium.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Wurm is fond of alts tho, and lag that comes with them.. you want to skip the lag and performance issues?

You want balance? Let shipbuilders cast BOTD and so on.. for only 15minutes, there's no harm in that..a full 104BOTD cast for only 15minutes, how could that affect priests?

All comes down to .. " I want what s/he does, but make no mistake.. I do not want them to mess with my bussiness... "

I can't see how that counters the point?

Also, you do realise, that I am arguing for a spell for another god here right?  One that I am never going to get to use (assuming this would a be a vyn/lib spell) XD

I only suggested it for Vyn, since she is the water goddess. Makes the most sense to me, but people my differ. Its a theoretical spell anyways, something for us to talk about XD

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

I only suggested it for Vyn, since she is the water goddess. Makes the most sense to me, but people my differ. Its a theoretical spell anyways, something for us to talk about XD

I like the sound of it; it sounds like a reason for folks to take their vyn priests out for a walk ^_^

On 6/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, Finnn said:

1- I take offense to being called a Troll, I dont argue to get a reaction, I argue because I honestly disagree with you and because I know you apreciate the attention.

2- Its not the only perk, Id rate the speed and success rate as far more important, since it can take forever for a low skilled player to make a ship.

3- I think this thread should respawn at the suggestions forum.

• Like 1

Why not give shipbuilders rune-like craftables... ql50-70-90-100 to be craftable and attachable to boats and give boats speed boosts that way.. instead of 'sprinkling life' into something that never died.. but only flourishes and have been.. for years:rolleyes:

One time crafted item(no need to repair etc).. once attached, it binds to the boat like runes.. can't be taken and reused.. only upgraded or replaced by other 'pseudo-runes'. Does that preserve shipbuilder's skill, niche and make everyone happy?

27 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Why not give shipbuilders rune-like craftables... ql50-70-90-100 to be craftable and attachable to boats and give boats speed boosts that way.. instead of 'sprinkling life' into something that never died.. but only flourishes and have been.. for years:rolleyes:

One time crafted item(no need to repair etc).. once attached, it binds to the boat like runes.. can't be taken and reused.. only upgraded or replaced by other 'pseudo-runes'. Does that preserve shipbuilder's skill, niche and make everyone happy?

Nope, because the addition of extra properties to existing items would be priest territory ;)

Runes/Imbues already trampled on that a fair bit, but just because the devs chose to cut into priest's "only perk" as you say, doesn't mean that all future updates should ^_^

18 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Nope, because the addition of extra properties to existing items would be priest territory ;)

Runes/Imbues already trampled on that a fair bit, but just because the devs chose to cut into priest's "only perk" as you say, doesn't mean that all future updates should ^_^

that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on forums...

you're asking to ruin niche with 1 solo perk..

ether... to use runes.. you need rift materials and other (moon )metals/etc.. also one of the 3 less often used skills stonecutting/fine carpentry/jewelry smithing.. that not everybody have........

you want to sit on your ass.. and get a new spell ruining the market of somebody with ONE perk rewarding their efforts..

Press F2 ingame... and cross reference the skills that mess with priest business and the priest spells that do something that other skills do(or cant.. and require priest's assistance).

for the 1000th time.. runes aren't crafter's perk... they are open to use for everyone.. and rifts are the source of the materials.. to get involved in that business... 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on forums...

You've evidently never read your own posts ;)

We get it, you're the self entitled crafter who'll do his darnedest to block any priest unique content/advantages.  Even though you've never played a priest you assume you know how well balanced they are, and believe they are op (which explains why there are so many priest players in wo at the moment).

I can be condescending too ;)

• Like 3

Priests sacrifice a lot with the ability to cast spellls. They cant continue tasks, the cant do all gathering professions, they cant imp, they cant even work on about 80% of the skills anyone else can. For example, if a priest needs a boat they cant craft it, nor can they even imp it to increase its speed. 

By comparison, a crafter has no penalties whatsoever. They can do anything they want. They can raise any skill to max they choose, or do any action they want.

The only perk a priest gets for its trouble is the ability to cast spells.

As a boat builder you have access to the ability to create your own boat, imp it, rare it and with the carpentry you get from it you can make your own runes and attach them. I think your view on what a shipbuilder can or cannot do is myopic. 

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

You've evidently never read your own posts ;) you 'evidently' have no clue what unique means...

We get it, you're the self entitled crafter who'll do his darnedest to block any priest unique content/advantages. random nonsense, could you even back your words?

Even though you've never played a priest you assume you know how well balanced they are, and believe they are op (which explains why there are so many priest players in wo at the moment). completely offtopic, and I sadly... probably know more about priesting than you do.. even tho have been one.. for years

I can be condescending too ;) you just lack any argument or fresh ideas, you just want to burn something because you're mad after the runes update, and you cant care less who gets the punch

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Priests sacrifice a lot with the ability to cast spellls. They cant continue tasks, the cant do all gathering professions, they cant imp, they cant even work on about 80% of the skills anyone else can. For example, if a priest needs a boat they cant craft it, nor can they even imp it to increase its speed. 
Costs you pay for being a priest.. crafters cant cast any spells, at all..:rolleyes:

By comparison, a crafter has no penalties whatsoever. They can do anything they want. They can raise any skill to max they choose, or do any action they want. Takes time.. every single skill,  and not every character have 2 or more skills leveled high, also it takes enchanted tools(where these come from), sleep bonus and work to get the numbers there.. Are you saying... that.. 1 skill should rule them all? Why?

The only perk a priest gets for its trouble is the ability to cast spells. And the two things that sell the most are enchanted tools and raw materials for building houses/etc.. or dirt... whoever could cast dirt.. does skill up with that for a decent period of time.. and it pays back very well.

As a boat builder you have access to the ability to create your own boat, imp it, rare it and with the carpentry you get from it you can make your own runes and attach them. I think your view over what a shipbuilder can or cannot do is missing something. Not everyone skills up shipbuilding high, small % are going to get rng roll to rare it.. and than... carpentry isn't fine carpentry.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Runes#Creation

Depending on the type of rune created, the skills used will be jewelry smithingstonecutting, or fine carpentry.

Skilled shipbuilder needs 30-60minutes to build simplest boats if not more.. with prepared materials, I should not tell you how much time skilled priest needs to cast something of equal value to buy a rowing/sailing boat valued at 50c-1s.

Edited by Finnn
typo

Hmm, a new spell...want to make a priest popular, give one of them a spell to change marsh to dirt or sand.  They would be one of the most popular in all of Wurm! :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorian said:

Hmm, a new spell...want to make a priest popular, give one of them a spell to change marsh to dirt or sand.  They would be one of the most popular in all of Wurm! :P

Should make a separate thread for that.