Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

4 Years - 1 Spell

It just struck me, I've been playing wurm for over 4 years now and during that time I haven't seen a single new PvE spell (and even with PvP, I have only seen one spell added).  Seems like a bit of an oversight given how many other new features have come into the game!

So...  What spells would you like to see added to wurm?  Let's give the devs a little material to work with here!

• Like 3

A spell that lets you revive someome would be great. As long as the person is in the red tunnel, have a priest cast the spell on their corpse allowing them to choose being revived or not (allowing them to respawn at corpse). This would also have the bonus of slashing their skill loss by half (PvE only). Good spell to enable PMKs to revive their fallen mates after winning an encounter, or to allow Freedomers the ability to send a rescue to a friend in need or an alt.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 9

I don't even care what spells there could be, but the one thing that really bugs me is how the key spells of our original gods are now shared with player gods. Each god should have their own key spell, and I'd love to have that change made that these spells that make or break a god are only available for one deity.

A good example would be Genesis for Fo... Fo is essentially useless compared to Nahjo now, however if Nahjo had their own key spell, Fo would be back to its original use. 

IMHO the player god spell system is just exceptionally incomplete and needs a rework. New god should mean new spells, not some seemingly random combination of existing ones.

• Like 19

Priests need a overhaul for sure, I don't even prem mine anymore since I don't find any usefulness with them anymore.

I must agree with the Yldrania. If we are going to have player gods, they should have unique spells. Of course, that's a monumental task, I realize that. But while taking nothing away from the players who have achieved god status, this system needs a serious look into. Religion - once fun and thematic - is now a dilluted gizmo, that's all.

• Like 5

What a pleasure premming four chars just to do basic deeds chores. Player gods' spell lists should have helped you realise that original gods' spell lists were ######, at least from typical pve perspective, but no.

Edited by zigozag

Question is : what new spells would add to the game? One could say the same about shields, weapons, armors (despite drake / scale / plate color changes) nothing new was added. In a matter of overall balance, what would make priests interesting (overhaul needed?!) to play and which new spells could be added without being stupidly OP (heck, remember the nahjo fiasco).

Priests need to be thought again in term of key spells / features, maybe even allowing the player gods to design their(s).

Runes add a layer of 'spells' for all to the items, so are vehicle speed affecting spells a good idea? Probably not sadly.

I'd like to see a rework around strongwall done though, currently it does the same thing as the support beams reinforcment. a geode, more crystaline look would be great appearance wise, it would be perfect for magical atmospheres and dyed light work. Exactly in the same vein, we could use a strongfloor one (or runic floor) which would act like the reinforced floor but with a new graphic style.

So my new spells :

Crystal aspect - Geode / Crystal appearance - behave exactly like strongwall

Strongfloor - Reinforce floor and cave walls alike (no collapsing)

Runic floor - Cheap floor reinforcment only, maybe extra glow (light) effect, for all your underground highways need.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 1

Anti Lag.  Spell that lets you play for 1 hour with no lag.  I know, not possible while connected to the server, but still, I want it.

• Like 4

Voyager (WL) / Dark Passenger (BL) - Adds a shadow passenger to a boat. Same effect as turning a boat Rare, but for a period of time (15m -30m?) Up to the max amount of passengers. Vynora/Libila + Nahjo/Nathan.

• Like 1

What about a little household magic?

Simple spells for all priests like lighting a fire, filling a waterskin, removing a young tree or lesser mendings (fixing clay jars, flasks and bowls).  Maybe even push the boat out enchant a pen with unlimited ink for a short duration.

Things useful but not world changing.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

What about a little household magic?

Simple spells for all priests like lighting a fire, filling a waterskin, removing a young tree or lesser mendings (fixing clay jars, flasks and bowls).  Maybe even push the boat out enchant a pen with unlimited ink for a short duration.

Things useful but not world changing.

Some of these things would have undesired side effects, so have to be careful about it. For example being able to make water would potentially make the hydration system useless, or it may not.  Regardless, simple 'cantrips' are not a bad idea and should be considered.

I am more interested in perhaps more item enchants or combat spells that give otherwise pvp useless priests an edge on Chaos. As it stands, its just Sme Sme and more Sme. Clear indication that a rebalance is in order.

Edited by Angelklaine

How about go read the suggestion forum for the 20 other posts like this one?

4 hours ago, Wargasm said:

How about go read the suggestion forum for the 20 other posts like this one?

Because I am interested in seeing what the current player base thinks?

• Like 1

I dont think that number of spells added is a metric of how fast or slow the game advances.  Particularly when there are so many issues concerning the distribution of those spells amongst the different followers.

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

I dont think that number of spells added is a metric of how fast or slow the game advances.  Particularly when there are so many issues concerning the distribution of those spells amongst the different followers.

I, also, wouldn't call it a metric to measure how fast the game has "advanced", but I would say that it is a good metric on how far the "priest class" has advanced ;)

8 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I, also, wouldn't call it a metric to measure how fast the game has "advanced", but I would say that it is a good metric on how far the "priest class" has advanced ;)

Conversely, you could say that a lot of work has been put into it, since, look at how many new deities have been made available in the last 4 years. That is exclusive content for the priest class! (I hate the player gods system, but Im playing devils advocate)

While Im not oposed to new possible spells, (Like an AD&D cantrip spell) with how f ucked up the current system is, its like adding fuel to an already burning turd.

The reason I mentioned cantrip, is because its a spell with no real consecuences or alignment and could be just given to every priest regardless of what deity the follow.  But any spell more specific than that, seems to me, would just make the system harder to fix, IF a fix is going to come at some point.

• Like 1

To say work has been put into the priest class due to player gods is an overstatement given their charasteristics are randomly generated. The lack of input is the reason the priests are such a mess.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 3:48 AM, Angelklaine said:

Voyager (WL) / Dark Passenger (BL) - Adds a shadow passenger to a boat. Same effect as turning a boat Rare, but for a period of time (15m -30m?) Up to the max amount of passengers. Vynora/Libila + Nahjo/Nathan.

lul.. how are you going to balance that wind power? favor regenerates on it's own.. and even with high favor cost to cast the spell.. some people have bunch of alts to use.. or gems to get where they are headed in short time, questionably... reasonable to allow for pvp or pve with rifts.. going to several rifts with faster sailing like that(hurting other server's event by 'stealing' their resources).. Even if you link the speed boost to cooldown or fatigue deduction in hours vs mins of boosted speed... a few alt hoarders are still going to abuse the else... possibly good feature.:wacko:

Runes are pretty pve in focus; though, tbh anything that helps pve will end up helping pvp. Cannot say the reverse is true though.

Was the major overhaul to enchants really so long ago? Sheesh time flies... :P

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

lul.. how are you going to balance that wind power? favor regenerates on it's own.. and even with high favor cost to cast the spell.. some people have bunch of alts to use.. or gems to get where they are headed in short time, questionably... reasonable to allow for pvp or pve with rifts.. going to several rifts with faster sailing like that(hurting other server's event by 'stealing' their resources).. Even if you link the speed boost to cooldown or fatigue deduction in hours vs mins of boosted speed... a few alt hoarders are still going to abuse the else... possibly good feature.:wacko:

What are you even talking about?! Adding a slight boost to sailing speed is going to end up with events being stolen from people from other servers?  That is the most nonsensical reason Ive ever heard to oppose a suggestion.

Why not vouch to abolish food boosts, because, you know, people from other servers will grind more effectively with it, and craft better boats wich will be faster, wich will obviously end up in them going to another server to steal stuff.
/repeat with every single game mechanic

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

What are you even talking about?! Adding a slight boost to sailing speed is going to end up with events being stolen from people from other servers?  That is the most nonsensical reason Ive ever heard to oppose a suggestion.

Why not vouch to abolish food boosts, because, you know, people from other servers will grind more effectively with it, and craft better boats wich will be faster, wich will obviously end up in them going to another server to steal stuff.

M8 pls

Going 11 instead of 10 for 15 mins a pop will surely screw over all the rifts! Gosh

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Finnn said:

You're right! I didnt think of that! We should petition GMs to outlaw all rare boats! And those supreme ones!? Use them under thread of IP ban! That permanent speed increase! Let alone for 15 minutes! What was I thinking!

11 hours ago, Rathgar said:

You don't say... than .. how about mocking shipbuilding and the only mechanic that ever made use of the skill by adding a speed boost.. with a spell.. (faith/channeling.. both are having their own top-tier use, where SB have what?)

Plus.. in their initial start.. rift seemed to be server-events.. but with independent respawn times.. they turned into something farmable... traveling fo 2 or 3.. gets you much more rewards.

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

You're right! I didnt think of that! We should petition GMs to outlaw all rare boats! And those supreme ones!? Use them under thread of IP ban! That permanent speed increase! Let alone for 15 minutes! What was I thinking!

I almost laughed.. but ehh...

On 5/3/2017 at 10:10 PM, Yldrania said:

I don't even care what spells there could be, but the one thing that really bugs me is how the key spells of our original gods are now shared with player gods. Each god should have their own key spell, and I'd love to have that change made that these spells that make or break a god are only available for one deity.

A good example would be Genesis for Fo... Fo is essentially useless compared to Nahjo now, however if Nahjo had their own key spell, Fo would be back to its original use. 

IMHO the player god spell system is just exceptionally incomplete and needs a rework. New god should mean new spells, not some seemingly random combination of existing ones.

I think the player gods should be for epic cluster only, considering that's how they're made!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Finnn said:

You don't say... than .. how about mocking shipbuilding and the only mechanic that ever made use of the skill by adding a speed boost.. with a spell.. (faith/channeling.. both are having their own top-tier use, where SB have what?)

Plus.. in their initial start.. rift seemed to be server-events.. but with independent respawn times.. they turned into something farmable... traveling fo 2 or 3.. gets you much more rewards.

I almost laughed.. but ehh...

Im not mocking shipbuliders, Im mocking you personally.

Shipbuilders would be unaffected by a 15min speed boost, since it would, as I understand the suggestion, accumulate with other modifiers.  So a good ship would still be valuable.

And while I initially -1 this suggestion, I think that if spells are added across the board with identical specifications, it wouldnt affect the balance between deities even further. However, if the effect or implementation varies depending on white/black, cluster, gender, deity of choice or overlaps with meditation skills, then it would just make things even worse, particularly in the forums where rivers of tears have been cried already over this.

• Like 3