Sign in to follow this  
Anarres

Change 'secure' to 'plant'

Please change 'secure' to 'plant'. A few reasons:

- it is confusing to use different words to denote the same thing;

- 'secure' is supposed to exist for things not in inventory and 'plant' for those in inventory, but why would that be necessary? I plant a bsb when it's in my inventory or I plant it when it is on the ground. The result is the same, so why use different words?

- 'secure' is an overloaded term, in this game and in English. You 'secure' things when you lock them. You secure things when you set permissions. You 'secure' some others by placing them on deeds, in houses, or locked containers. You can 'secure' a bsb by using the 'secure' action or you say 'secure' but mean locking it. It has too many meanings, it shouldn't be used for a single action, particularly when we already have in game a word for that action, it's actually plant.

[21:16:51] You start to plant the food storage bin.

[21:16:52] You plant the food storage bin.

[21:16:53] A storage bin made from planks and strengthened with iron ribbons. The food storage bin has been firmly secured to the ground by Amath. Ql: 10.9127865, Dam: 0.0.

Or I could have done...

[21:33:58] You start to secure the food storage bin.

[21:33:59] You secure the food storage bin.

[21:34:01] A storage bin made from planks and strengthened with iron ribbons. The food storage bin has been firmly secured to the ground by Amath. Ql: 10.9127865, Dam: 0.0.

If for some reason it is important for the developers to have different names for the same action, then can you please at least use a different word than 'secure', one not so overloaded in wurm. Like 'stabilize', or 'immobilize' or 'bind' or 'tie down'.

I suggest just 'plant', though. Consistency is a good thing...

• Like 1

Thank you. I've been trying to figure out what "Securing" an item was.  Now I understand.

I thought securing was for items you placed after you picked the perfect spot, while plant is just to plant straight from a wagon etc?