Sign in to follow this  
yemini

New Server Soon?

Pretty sure it'd be a horrible decision for absolutely anyone and everyone.

• Like 2

I read AVERAGE 3,000,, with 4k cap.. of prems only, 

and not everyone playing is prem all the time, some % fluctuates between premmed and not..

Summer vacations aren't a thing yet.. wait and see.. you'll have nubs pruning your hedges whole summer.. free of charge.. and stress inducing once they are able to remodel the roads around your place.:wacko:

To the people wanting higher population density...

Instead of closing down servers, why not just all choose a server and move there?

It has the exact same outcome if enough people just voluntarily decide to re-settle Celebration or something.

Everyone wants active locals...but also everyone decided to move out and away from each other...can't have both :D

Ive been wanting to return to the game for two years now, and I keep putting this off because I want fresh new land to settle while not having to compete with already claimed or past claimed, mined out used areas. I also would like a large player base, while not having servers so scattered out where it takes so long to travel to trade with other players; But... I dont want such a large player base where its hard to find a spot to settle, no do I want to have to travel over an hour between locations lol...  As I have put in hard work in the past on the years I did play into my land, I totally understand where other players are coming from on not wanting to leave settled areas where the server production is lower then intended by the developers, and forcing them to move or reset is just not a fair deal for them while its not fair for us who are waiting to return until our ideal conditions are met. It would be nice if the developers found an in between solution, maybe one larger map with many options for easy access to open sea, and some way to port over players belongings through some sort of a point system, and then delete all the other maps. I say this because When I check server standings, I dont see a whole lot of people on them theres only like 600 people on at any given time, and Im sure some have alts in the over all total. We dont need as many servers as there are now for our current population. When wurm came out the engine required to design this game had its limitations on server size / map size.... Im sure this can be changed today, since I have myself made maps in game engines as large as North America where it took 14 hours to travel across from coast to coast.. This might be a good time to update the engine, or even get a new engine that can do this, and make a wurm 2 version with new graphics, one really large world, and allow those who desire this to just leave and start new. This would also open up the possibilities of attracting new players.

8 minutes ago, xxwoofxx said:

since I have myself made maps in game engines as large as North America where it took 14 hours to travel across from coast to coast.. 

It only takes 14 hours to cross North America?

(sorry, I couldnt resist)

xanadu is your best bet!   join us around glasshollow  :D

I would like a new small map where you can only build log cabins and are not allowed to deed. Have it loaded with wildlife and new creatures that only spawn here.

My idea of a hunting server.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, griper said:

It only takes 14 hours to cross North America?

(sorry, I couldnt resist)

To be fair, he didnt say what coast! Maybe he meant from the coast of LA. to the coast of FL!

Onto the discussion of wether we need another server or not, I'll provide some interesting statistics.

Independence settlements the last year: Clearly there's very little to no decline in the villages if we believe in the data.

villages-year.png

Independence paying customers the last year: LIttle to no decline whatsoever.

paying-year.png

Independence August 17 - December 17 mapdump diff + hue photshop filters : There's barelly any teraforming being done in the server.

https://ibb.co/csHi0x

independence_timelapse.png

So there's deeds, there's people paying for them, but nobody's active at all. I find that very strange to explain ...

Edited by Psychelock
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Niki said:

I would like a new small map where you can only build log cabins and are not allowed to deed. Have it loaded with wildlife and new creatures that only spawn here.

Come to Desertion. It's name is very fitting right now.

Server is almost empty, tons of creatures spawned couse none is killing them.

Nature claim lands back, ruins of fallen deeds everywhere.

You can hunt, explore, even go full survival by starting with nothing and excavate for basic gear in ruins.

No people, no enemies, no threat.

"Almost" like a hunting server.

All your stats will be copied from freedom and back.

He were here and barely survived!

Bear-Grylls.jpeg

Instead of new server, we should have a game mechanic that turns or reverts terraformed land back after years of neglect.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Psychelock said:

So there's deeds, there's people paying for them, but nobody's active at all. I find that very strange to explain ...

Its very easy to explain. People want to keep their deeds because they have put so much time and energy into building them. But they dont log in and play reguraly, for various reasons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wilczan said:

All your stats will be copied from freedom and back.

This is not true. Your stats will be copied from Freedom to Epic, but not vice versa. So using Epic as a hunting ground is pointless. This is the reason why the mob population on Epic servers is so high. No one is hunting them. No point.

I would rather see a new small/medium server in the wild cluster if a new server was to be made.

That gives ppl a chanse to try out pvp on a server that they can help form from the begining and not loose the time grinding as on Epic becaus of the non skilltransfer bak to freedom.

A new server that doesn't start fresh (aka everyone starts at 0 skill wise) will achieve nothing but to dilute the population even further. I'd rather see nature reclaim old land by de-terraforming (smoothing of the landscape after a certain time of being unused). Or something truely innovative like a cluster where you have to choose a primary vocation (smith, carpenter, mason...) and cannot train other skills fully to encourage... you know... communities and interdependency.

If someone wants to be a hermit on untouched land I really wonder why he doesn't just create a local WU server for himself...

Edited by Eltaran

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

This is not true. Your stats will be copied from Freedom to Epic, but not vice versa. So using Epic as a hunting ground is pointless. This is the reason why the mob population on Epic servers is so high. No one is hunting them. No point.

My bad. Playing just on Epic so does not checked mechanism by myself.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, Artisan said:

I agree.

Off-deed decay should be greatly increased after 30/60 days not logged in. I think that currently happens but not by enough.

It works very well. Every time stuff comes up IRL and I am too busy for 2-3 months I have almost 90ql off deed  buildings go poof. We don't need anymore decay. The ones you see that take forever to decay away are usually caused by the person not playing on the server but still logging in on a different one. If there is still items left in a area you want to deed then just bash them after you deed it. With the mayor bonus pretty much everything goes down fast.

• Like 1

There's no point to adding another server, WU fills that niche just fine and there's no advantage to further diluting the WO player base.

• Like 2

A new concept for a server would be one where there are no aggressive types of mobs on it. Only non-aggro types so if players wanted to kill them for meat and such there would be little fighting skill benefits. Or just prevent the ability to attack anything there and they could import animal products for use. This way players who had no interest in fighting mobs for whatever reasons could have a peaceful place to live. It should be added to the Freedom cluster as available to reach by sailing or even starting on the server as normal.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Do some PvP challenge servers that reset once a year or 6 months or something like that.  Then get an award you can bring to Freedom servers.  Skills get transferred to the server or maybe a cool idea is everyone starts at 80 for all skills.  There's an idea for new server.

9 hours ago, Evilvision said:

It works very well. Every time stuff comes up IRL and I am too busy for 2-3 months I have almost 90ql off deed  buildings go poof. We don't need anymore decay. The ones you see that take forever to decay away are usually caused by the person not playing on the server but still logging in on a different one. If there is still items left in a area you want to deed then just bash them after you deed it. With the mayor bonus pretty much everything goes down fast.

You cant deed over buildings that do not belong to you.

There are certain off deed buildings that simply do not decay. These buildings are bugged for one reason or another. I had two buildings on the perimeter of a deed I had for 3 months (including one on a broken bridge) and they wouldnt melt even with the perimeter building decay acceleration. During all these time they took maybe 2-3 pts of decay. 

I contacted a GM and was told they couldnt help, so my only option ended up being picking up my stuff and disbanding. 

Be careful with buildings that dont belong to you. You never know what is going on with them.

In most cases the person who owns that building is still playing.  The extra decay in perimeter  only kicks in if that player does not log into the server for a extended time.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:02 PM, Niki said:

https://www.strawpoll.me/15144121

Edited by Niki

What's the point?

There are so many servers and world jumping now.

If somebody wants to hunt, could do that at any time.

Difficulties exist only on chaos for the fresh visitors.

Rifts could drop something new, corrupted... part of the lore.. like the key to valrei...

Or a mirror of it, loaded with traps, mobs and bloodthirsty 'friendly' creatures and players...

What's allowed to bring home from there?

What's at stake to lose once you cross over to the other map?