Sign in to follow this  
Mavv

Unicorns

Very simple. Get rid of the taming requirements for unicorns. Keep the 26 body control and allow everyone to ride them once they get that.

I have the taming and skill required to ride them before anyone comments about that, it just opens it up for all players to ride them sooner.

Mavv

• Like 1

I like that unicorns are tough to get. There is very little reason to grind animal skills past a certain point and it's nice to see that it at least has some sort of application in the game. 

• Like 3

Do you mean tough to get as in tame and ride. Or tough to get to find them as they are pretty much extinct on indy. I don't see anyone ride them as they are a pain to tame. People would still need the 26 body control to ride anyhow.

Mavv

25 minutes ago, Mavv said:

Do you mean tough to get as in tame and ride. Or tough to get to find them as they are pretty much extinct on indy. I don't see anyone ride them as they are a pain to tame. People would still need the 26 body control to ride anyhow.

Mavv

I mean that I enjoy having taming skill actually be useful for something besides breeding hostiles.

Taming Skill:

Horse => 7

Unicorn => 35

Hell Horse => 70

Body Control:

Horse -> 21

Unicorn -> 26

Hell Horse -> 31

It's a well balanced system. You need twice the taming skill for a hell horse as you do for a unicorn. There is a good relation between all of them if you look at the details for these cretaures - for instance, a horse has 20 Body Strength and a Unicorn has 30. Now that unicorns can be equipped with stuff, their speed and usefulness can be boosted even more.

35 taming skill is not that difficult to achieve. All you need is some seeds and harvest, cows to get started with, horses and bison to continue and you'll be at 35 in no time. For an animal that has 10 points more body strength than a regular horse, that is not too much to ask of someone to obtain one.

As conclusion: I like the way this is right now, that you can't just run across a unicorn and take it with you right when you begin - but instead you will have to prepare for obtaining and breeding unicorns. This is consistent with the general system of Wurm in which everything takes effort and everything is rewarding due to that.

The change itself would not benefit anyone except for those who don't want to put even a couple days' effort (at regular play times) into the possibility of owning a unicorn, and honestly, I personally think that in Wurm if you want something enough, you will put the required effort into it.

Additionally, the breeding system in this game is very unrewarding in general - you can spend a few weeks breeding and you'll achieve the same results with your horses as someone who's been at it for years. This taming requirement adds a little bit of balance to the system by allowing someone who is dedicated to handling their animals to do so with a creature that others can't. :) 

Due to the above, my personal opinion here is that the change would not be beneficial but rather outrageous for those who rely on the little balance with breeding that we currently have. A friendly and inoffensive -1 from me. :) 

• Like 1

Actually grinding taming isn't that bad, you'll need roughly 36 levels (and yes, you can get this one up fast if you just spam taming skill with good ql food to low taming skills required animals, like pigs) and you are able after few tries to tame a unicorn. However, what I'm more curious about that does unicorns still need to be tamed in order to ride them since you can put gear on them. That was the thing that made unicorns useless in my eyes, since tamed animals got attacked by other hostile mobs.

33 minutes ago, Kadmint said:

Actually grinding taming isn't that bad, you'll need roughly 36 levels (and yes, you can get this one up fast if you just spam taming skill with good ql food to low taming skills required animals, like pigs) and you are able after few tries to tame a unicorn. However, what I'm more curious about that does unicorns still need to be tamed in order to ride them since you can put gear on them. That was the thing that made unicorns useless in my eyes, since tamed animals got attacked by other hostile mobs.

Yeah, allowing equipped not tamed to be hitched and ridable will make them much less useless.

If you hit 26 body control even 50 taming is easy in comparison.

43 minutes ago, Kadmint said:

That was the thing that made unicorns useless in my eyes, since tamed animals got attacked by other hostile mobs.

its the same chance that I've experienced since forever for a mount to get attacked tamed or not.  the only time that tamed definitively will get attacked over untamed is if you are not mounted and leading it which is a completely different story anyway

Maybe we could tweak the taming levels needed for unicorns with different conditions? It's already much harder to tame champion unicorns. Perhaps we could lower the taming for scared or lurking unicorns while leaving the normal ones the same? If there are going to be changes to unicorns, let's bring back different colours for different conditions as well!

Worth noting that although it's possible to tame a (basic non-traited) unicorn at 35 taming, it's painful; for reliable results, you wand rather higher than that.  Greenish / champ monohorns need more.