Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

List of highways that won't be highways in the new update

From this week's Valrei International: 

What will change with this is the redefining of what consists of a highway, In the past single paved roads bordered by sand (gravel is okay!) have also been included, with the release of this it will be strictly 2 or 3 tile wide paved roads, so if you wish to update any single tile paths in your area in anticipation of this new system please do log a support ticket.

So there are quite a few long standing highways which do not meet this definition, and will need to be rebuilt/fixed.  If it's helpful, I think we should list them here.  I'll start:

• East Crystal Highway - from the Grand Steppe to Oak Harbor - single tile path with sand on each border.
  • Crystal Mtn Highway - south of Lakes End all the way up the hill to the tunnel
Edited by Finndar
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Finndar said:

So there are quite a few long standing highways which do not meet this definition, and will need to be rebuilt/fixed.  If it's helpful, I think we should list them here.  I'll start:

• East Crystal Highway - from the Grand Steppe to Oak Harbor - single tile path with sand on each border.
  • Crystal Mtn Highway - south of Lakes End all the way up the hill to the tunnel

Hell Hound Trail in Xan.  It's one lane and runs most of the coast west to east.

Made a very little bit of hh trails on xan 2 tiles wide already a month ago but just because it's a nice road and deserved it for a long time :)

• Like 4

BTW, this post is in the Independence server forum.

The road along Bearshark Bay needs help and I will give it some love soon as I finish my current road project. I have the dirt, just need to do the leveling.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 5:57 PM, Kelody said:

BTW, this post is in the Independence server forum.

The road along Bearshark Bay needs help and I will give it some love soon as I finish my current road project. I have the dirt, just need to do the leveling.

Ya saw that later.  Just jumped on posting from seeing this post on Activity tab then later realized for Inde.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 4:56 AM, Finndar said:

I have long wanted (before bridges were introduced) to modify Oak Harbour so that the "entrance" to my deed was a boat cave, but doing so would have required messing up the highway, so I never bothered. Now that we have bridges... if I could wrangle some assistants to help with a large-ish bridge in the Oak Harbour section of the road, we could widen that section of highway in prep for the new highway system, and enable me to go ahead with my dream of making my deed a pain to get into. ;-)

I'm up for modifying my deed borders slightly to make room for wider highway, although there is a neighboring deed that would be in the way up the road.

• Like 2

After reading the Design Doc for highways, It's gonna be really time consuming for most highways to get finished. Might need some temporary deeds until deed owners connect. I know many of the deeds East of me are mostly hermits, that either won't want to connect, or aren't on a lot to show them how.

• Like 1

I can definitely help in rebuilding these highways since I used them a lot, though I live at the south end of the Silver Mountain Highway and Elysian Bay. 

P.S. Just realized, Silver Mountain Highway do not meet the highway standards as well~

• Like 2

I know @HughMongushas started doing some tile counts on what it will take to make some of the highways conform. The numbers are daunting and are going to take a significant community effort.

• Like 2

I have to say, I don't really like the looks of highway eyes, especially since they are currently offset from the center if putting them on a 3 tile highway :( 
besides that I think that graphically they generally don't fit wurm very well, because they look too modern and their coloring seems "off" from wurms normal/natural colors. I would have preferred them looking more like the light token spell from priests with maybe little changes....or like a smaller more simplified version of turrets or something that looks more like glowing gems than eyes.

• Like 1

Can anyone planning to do highway work post where they're willing to work? Also, if you don't want to help on distance highways but willing to offer waypoint connections, please post your deed locations. I am looking for connections in the Silver Mountain area and the Elysian Bay area. Once my current road projects are done, and I get caught up at home. I will be willing to help on further projects.

I am at Q19, and will have connections over most of the southern Crystal Lake and East Bearshark Bay. A future project is northern Bearshark Bay, assuming current deed holder is willing and SW Crystal Lake if I can find a path.

Well, what I call the Freedom Market Road, the path I take from where Ultimarus used to be to Freedom Market, is in many places only 1 tile wide.  Fixing that would be a whole lot of work and in places not doable unless a deed owner was doing it.

Getting deed owners involved is exactly what I was asking for. And it's not my requirement that roads be 2 wide, it's part of the new highway system. The new highway system will require deed owners to be involved anyway to place catseyes and waystones on their property. Otherwise, roads will need to be rerouted around the deeds.

5 hours ago, Minobu Tetsuhara said:

where Ultimarus used to be

Not being an Indy historical expert, this means nothing to me. Please use current map landmarks or simply coordinates. The Albia map has a "Freedom Market Highway" on it as well as south, east, and west spurs. Roads like the East Crystal Highway and the Great South Mountain Road are going to need community support covering them in catseyes. Both from local deed owners and people willing to make or install them.