Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Amateur Gardeners

Hi all,

Was wondering if there were any other amateur gardeners out there. It's spring time here so last month I planted a bunch of seeds and this is what I have so far.

Show me what ya gots.

:)

garden5.jpg

From right to left... Legend tomatoes, the small green pots are Moon Flowers, then some Plum Tomatoes, Peas, Cherry Tomatoes, and some Black Diamond Watermelons in the yellow pots. In the back row, some mini yellow Pear Tomatoes and Spring Onions. Not made an appearance yet are some green beans, yellow peppers, and parsnips. Oh and think my Walla Walla onion seeds may have been too old or something, cuz tried twice for them and not even a single sprout.

• Like 3

put a foil under the plants to make light come back up at them will help them grow and make the more full.

• Like 3

Ah ya.. good idea. Will save that trick for next year.

;)

Itching to get a few things planted outside. Almost warm enough for it, I think.

What climate do you live in? I always find direct sowing of peas prefferable personally although they can do well in pots or transplanted. Depending on your parsnip variety make sure your soil is light, well dug and drains easy. The results are drastic. They like deep beds just like carrots and i always put them in raised beds. Older seeds can often sprout but will not have the vigiorous and healthy growth that newer seeds will. Something i often disregarded early on in gardening, but learned how important those first few weeks are. Also lights are good but there is no substitute for the sun so always try to get any and all natural light you can. After moving plants to the garden mulch can be one of your best friends! It cuts down tremendously on weeding and helps soil moisture retention. One of the first books ever given to me on gardening is still to this day my favorite. The Vegetable Gardeners Bible by Edward C. Smith. I particularly like the section on symbiotic plant relationships. Its helpful for knowing what you should and should not plant next to one another, especially in small compact gardens. Its amazing how well some plants thrive next to others and some are really hindered by their neighboring plants. Good luck!

Mulch as in straw mulch btw. Make sure its seedless. For tomatos and peppers as well as some other plants i gave up years ago and finally started using black plastic mulch. I always try to not bring any un natural aspects into my garden, but there really is no comparable substitute to the benefits black plastic brings. You can regulate the water which for tomatos is EXTREMELY important and the heat factor it generates from the sun is well received by both tomatos and peppers. Also i tend to never put tomatos and peppers near each other in the garden. They like opposite ends of the pH scale for their soil. That is often a mistake people make and will find their tomatos do great but their peppers do not. Or vise versa. I always keep a few tomato and pepper plants in big containers as close to my kitchen as possible. It makes picking a couple a day easy and i can perfectly control their soil. On the down side ive hurt or killed several over the years by forgetting to water them. Half a day too late can be the difference of a wrecked plant.

Am in southern Ontario. So all 4 seasons, bit of snow in the winter. Rule of thumb around here was always May 24 be planting week. Chance of frost at night has just recently passed. I will be taking some plants outside for the day, bring back in at night. Was doing 16 - 18 hrs under the lights ,  6 - 8 hrs dark.

Seeds were from a few years ago when my eyes were bigger than my belly, so to speak.  ;)

Had an ok garden last year, small but crammed tight.. hehe.. Will be expanding the size this season.

For my tomatoes last year I tossed a handful of sheep manure in the hole before planting each one. Seemed to work really well.

I'll def. look for that book, thx for the recommendation.

• Like 1

The author of that book is from Vermont. While it is a good read for any gardener it is especially good for people in our area! Enjoy!

Aye some plants don't do well planted together, and then others do very well. Such as tomatoes and carrots.

So an even shorter growing season than in Oregon, heh thank gawd for greenhouses. :D

Far longer periods of sun and heat in Las Vegas; though, haven't done any gardening in over two years. Not much space for it; though, I suppose I could do some plastic 5 gallon buckets on the patio the new apt has. If I can find any foodgrade ones.

Tomatoes really love water, and have seen some people use old tires as planters and/or crumbled newpaper below the roots to help create reservoirs.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

What's Gumbo been up to? Gardening real life style. This year planted about 3 dozen tomato plants of various kinds. The white tomatoes seem to be a hit with everyone. Low acidic or something they say. But my pride and joy (oh good song to play) tho is this solo pumpkin that I had to self polinate. It has been the only pumpkin in the patch. It's def. bigger than my head now.

Spoiler

pumpkin2.jpg

Also new this year I tried some Black Diamond watermelons. They are coming along nicely. At least a dozen baby watermelons growing. Now if I can only figure out how to make home made vodka, like the stuff Koruk makes for me in game, I'm all set. 

:)

Spoiler

Watermelon1.jpg

I'm an amateur gardener my gardening skill is only 30

• Like 1

Have had so many tomatoes this year that I"ve resorted to putting out a table and giving them away to anyone passing by my place.

Tomatoes5.jpg

Edited by Gumbo

Harvest day today, again. Lots of yellow beans and tear drop tomatoes. The short & sweet carrots are especially good, but late. And was recently informed that I've been growing Italian Roma tomatoes (the ones with the little "nobs" on the bottom), thems my faves. Hardly any seeds in em, all meat inside. Also, on the right are some "white tomatoes". First time for them. They were ok. low acid, like the yellow teardrops ones.

Harvest2.jpg

I have carrots, lettuce, cabbage, tomato, onion, broadbeans and swede growing at the moment.  I used to have a good hydroponic setup but haven't set it up again since moving almost a decade ago (broke a critical component on the pump and just never got around to finding a new pump).  Now that spring is almost upon us (yes, your seasons are backwards) I need to get the next round planted.  I will add in some chilli varieties (mostly naga and birdseye).

On the "not for eating" front, I found some Xanthorrhoea seeds at our local hardware, which I am keen to try.  It's iconically Australian and has the advantage of not trying to kill you if you get near it.