lol, okay I did not see anything about getting the old beam back then

seems like you came up with a different simple solution to the change that I did not think of ;)

I shall pour me another rum and coke and contemplate the meaning of life and wurm

• Like 1

That is the current implementation to avoid issues.

The theories about "paving" the walls might prove useful, provided we can resolve the potential coding issues that raise from it, but it'll ultimately be the same, each wall will simply require a new material and no walls will be able to have reinforcement simply removed. 

I will speak with the devs about it though and see what can come from it

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

This has been covered to death and back and to death again. It'll take some time to get this done as we've hit a limitation here. That limitation does not apply to cave walls. Completely different systems. Bumping this in each news will not get it done any faster, but only serve to annoy the people who have to do it. Please be patient. People work terribly when annoyed. ;)

But Keenaaaan (read in nagging voice), what about new fence models?!

:P

• Like 1

They need to build bigger bytes for the servers so we can have more fences!

when do we get models for rose hedges?

but... i love those new brick designs, all of them ! 

• Like 5

Not even 20 hours since the OP and already there's been drama, outrage, questions asked, answers given, strange objects identified (cats eyes?), reading comprehension arguments, and etc. :D

Also those wagon pics are getting dangerously close to van art

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Retrograde said:

CA Help Merging
following some back end changes for us, we'll be merging CA help across all freedom servers next update. once it's done we'll monitor it over the next week or so to ensure that it still flows smoothly and will be able to revert it if it proves to be too chaotic.

With this done we'll also begin looking at options for addressing CA help on Epic servers, and will be working towards a resolution that improves new player experiences on Epic servers while still meeting our conduct requirements.

I made a suggestion about this a couple of times about CA help, concerning Epic offcourse. But it seems Epic seems just to be looked at again lol. We will look at it, we will work at it, why in the world does it happen on freedom in no time and epic is always just to be looked at?

4 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

I made a suggestion about this a couple of times about CA help, concerning Epic offcourse. But it seems Epic seems just to be looked at again lol. We will look at it, we will work at it, why in the world does it happen on freedom in no time and epic is always just to be looked at?

Merging two CA help channels is simple, It's litterally some settings on GV, we're only coordinating it with the update to include it as a patch note that makes sense.

Epic on the other hand is a lot more difficult, and I've already passed plans on to the devs to begin looking at with feedback from GM's and such. It will require coding and testing and more ack end changes than a simple toggle.

We're also looking at other things to work on, I'll be discussing a few later this week with the various department leads but if you'd like to help, there's a way you can!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roysta said:

when do we get models for rose hedges?

You're such a romantic Roysta! :D

Retro, didn't know that was you yesterday when you asked about the wagon. :) If I had to guess the server, redneck solutions.

20 hours ago, Retrograde said:

walls.jpg

`The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. When the tram-lines were removed in the nearby suburb of Ambler Thorn, he realised that he had been using the polished strips of steel to navigate.[1] The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the eyeshine reflecting from the eyes of a cat. In 1934, he patented his invention (patent No. 436,290 and 457,536)`

Apparently they're not used in the states, long dark highways over there. 
I was surprised to see them in a screenie.

• Like 2

I presume  them to be a helpful way of sorting out no tile borders in caves?

At any rate thanks for the clarification on how the reinforcements will work Retro, sounds reasonable to be able to remove one at a time and modify it like that.

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

So just to clarify, the steps will be as follows:

1. Make 1 support beam
  2. Create the wall type you want with the beam
  3. Activate beam and right click reinforced wall > replace
  4. Wall receives wall texture, you receive regular support beam.

rinse and repeat steps 2 - 4

it is NOT:

1. Remove wall reinforcement
  2. Add new beam

Walls will remain reinforced at all times and do not require removing them first.

Adding new mechanics to change walls on reinforced walls open up potential issues and delays, this is simply adding new recipes that result in different types that use the base reinforcement beam as the starter.

this is separate to house and fence types

will this only work for old style reinforcements or will you be able to replace new reinforcements with new reinforcements too?

so many possibilities to tick off peoples ocd by randomly replacing walls in tunnels :-]

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

So just to clarify, the steps will be as follows:

1. Make 1 support beam
  2. Create the wall type you want with the beam
  3. Activate beam and right click reinforced wall > replace
  4. Wall receives wall texture, you receive regular support beam.

rinse and repeat steps 2 - 4

Did you think about reinforcing walls using priests? Please make this possible for strongwalled walls too.

24 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Did you think about reinforcing walls using priests? Please make this possible for strongwalled walls too.

This would completely cover priests as well, but i dont see a dozen different strongwall options appearing just so priests can strongwall a type they want 

Just now, Retrograde said:

This would completely cover priests as well, but i dont see a dozen different strongwall options appearing just so priests can strongwall a type they want 

Wait, so you'll be able to re-reinforce a whole tunnel with just 1 support beam made, right? Still though, if it's possible to just apply material to a reinforced wall, it would be much better.

2 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

Apparently they're not used in the states, long dark highways over there

I have seen them used in quite a few western southern states, you know places that don't have snowplows that rip anything that is glued down to the highway, in some area's though that suffer wintery conditions I have seen another method used where the cats eye is inserted in a trough indent in the pavement, they are handy.

5 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Wait, so you'll be able to re-reinforce a whole tunnel with just 1 support beam made, right? Still though, if it's possible to just apply material to a reinforced wall, it would be much better.

It wouldn't really be that much better.  There's little difference.  You either apply the brick to the wall, or to the free reinforcement beam you get after the first one.

All anyone has to do is build one single support beam.  Just one.  That's it.

1. Build One Single support beam.
  2. Add desired effect to support beam (ex. pottery brick)
  3. step up to the reinforced wall you wish to amend.
  4. stop just short, or you will see dark dungeons.
  5. Use the pottery brick support beam on the reinforced wall.
  6. The still-reinforced wall will now have the pottery brick look to it.
  7. Check your inventory.
  8. Notice the support beam in it.  No, seriously look... at... it.
  9. Do a little dance of joy. (Do not attempt to skip this step.)
  10. GOTO Step 2.

You're not really re-reinforcing as the reinforcement itself is never removed.  It never ceases to be.  The wall will spend 0.000(repeating) seconds not reinforced.  It is continually reinforced, without interruption.

The devs foresaw the issue people would have with the introduction of this new awesome feature people wanted.  They came up with a solution to the issue (people would have) before even implementing the awesome new feature people wanted.

• Like 2

I think the only issue there Reylaark is that it took several posts and questions to get that explained properly xD

But yes it does appear to be a decent method of implementation and i'm certainly happy with it over my original assumption of what the OP meant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

I think the only issue there Reylaark is that it took several posts and questions to get that explained properly xD

Yeah, but they were being so patient and polite in explaining it to everyone, I kinda felt like someone should jump up and down about it. :lol:

• Like 3

I do really like the way the new reinforcements will work - this will allow the strongwalls work with the new walls, just will need a single support beam to rework the strongwalled walls.

I would really be excited to see the floors with different textures - as an idea could we have the ceilings turn to the same texture if we change the floor? That would give us amazing cellars....

14 hours ago, Keenan said:

Finally got you on the test server I see. ;)

I was hoping this cateye is a way to allow fences in caves...

• Like 1

Ahhh so the catseye device was an English thing. Interesting.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:51 PM, Retrograde said:

header.png

Elentari is a monster

Hi Everyone!
I hope you all had a good Easter break, I know I did! We're still in the follow up phase to our latest update, addressing a few bugs that have arisen as well as the usual post-live tweaks,  but that doesn't mean we haven't been hard at work, but first...

Patch Notes

Reveal hidden contents
  • Oleander can now be used as a herb in cooking
  • Siege Weapons Bugs and Fixes Post-Live
    • Fixed up the message for what buildings you hit.
    • Added fail message on cata/treb.
    • Lowered the damage variance for battering rams, a fail will now deal 1/5th damage instead of none.
    • Capped damage given to projectiles when they land – should now be the same as whats dealt to whatever you hit.
    • Fixed cata/treb projectiles not hitting fences sometimes.
    • Lowered difficulty for using the battering ram – fences are also now lower difficulty than walls.
    • Planned floors/walls should now be properly ignored by cata/treb.
    • Rewrote how the checks worked for roofs and floors
    • A projectile that clearly passes through a roof now should hit it and land there.
    • The box it uses for this isn’t exact to the model, so if the projectile is going over the roof, try lowering your angle or power slightly
    • landing closer to the bottom of the roof than the top of it will be more accurate.
    • Lowered damage of archery towers and turrets
    • Turrets should now be able to fire from the top of a house or bridge
    • Archery towers now have a damage falloff, the further they fire, the less damage will be dealt
  • Gates and doors that both players can move through will no longer block attacks
  • Bugfix: Corrected text when prospecting sandstone veins
  • Bugfix: Sandstone slab floors can now be built

Reinforcing in style
Reinforced walls are quite boring, and with the introduction of new house walls, our devs got to thinking....

Coming soon to a cave near you, we'll be introducing stylish reinforcements! These will be created with improved reinforcement beams and really decorate your cave! We're also looking at cave floors as well, but no confirmation on that yet.

Reveal hidden contents

walls.jpg

CA Help Merging
following some back end changes for us, we'll be merging CA help across all freedom servers next update. once it's done we'll monitor it over the next week or so to ensure that it still flows smoothly and will be able to revert it if it proves to be too chaotic.

With this done we'll also begin looking at options for addressing CA help on Epic servers, and will be working towards a resolution that improves new player experiences on Epic servers while still meeting our conduct requirements.

WU beta
We're still in the process of ironing out some bugs appearing within the new housing update, and once theyre done we'll have a beta up for WU, we expect that to be available within the week, with the live version following shortly after

Gloomshade revamp
Excited to play with the new walls, Enki and I had our turn updating the starter deeds, and this time it was Gloomshades turn! The HotS Elevation starter deed has been given a bit of a revamp, and I'm totally biased)

Reveal hidden contents

gloomshade.png

Community Content
This weeks community content I found while looking through the huge collection of WU screenshots, and it has to be the most amazing wagon design I've ever seen. I don't know what server it's from, but if it's yours, let me know so I can update this!

Future PMK's, take note!

wagon.jpg

That's it for this weekend, I hope you all have a good weekend, and as always, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

Hi thanks for the kind words everyone.  This is actually my and my girlfriend's server, Sanctuary of Solace.  It's not quite open for the public yet but we're in beta testing and hope to be open by next month.  I was taking the screenshot to put up on our website that I was creating.  She's the one who designed it and our friend WesncIsMe is the one who coded it into the game for us.  We have a bunch of custom wagons, banners, flags, tall banners, and meditation rugs.  We're working on some tents and tabards at the moment.  

• Like 3