Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Sandbox games

The sandbox type genre seems to be popular.  I am wondering if anyone has discovered another game similar to Wurm?  A lot of games don't come up in searches, so perhaps someone is playing/trying something that is up and coming (or an oldie but a goodie), please share it here.

As a start, has anyone tried these below?

1. Rising World https://www.rising-world.net/

2. Shroud of the Avatar https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/ 

Personally I played a lot of Star Wars Galaxies a long time ago, tried it out on the emulator and it's quite fun if you're a fan of the older star wars movies.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

The sandbox type genre seems to be popular.  I am wondering if anyone has discovered another game similar to Wurm?  A lot of games don't come up in searches, so perhaps someone is playing/trying something that is up and coming (or an oldie but a goodie), please share it here.

As a start, has anyone tried these below?

1. Rising World https://www.rising-world.net/

2. Shroud of the Avatar https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/ 

yes both, rising world is a modular based game, something similar to wurm but instead of being conformed to a design set, this game lets you design whatever you want really. it's still very earliy access though at this stage

SOTA I've played a little bit of, but still very early in the learning on this one.

edit, I meant voxel not modular my bad

Edited by ozmods
  • Like 1

I play Rising World enough to keep up with its updates.  I enjoy its terraforming mechanics.  Has a ways to go.  However, I think they are aiming to go beyond medieval and into modern tech within the game.  Not sure that will be for me.

SotA is something im playing right now and liking it.  However, its no sandbox the way wurm is.  you can do pretty much what you want without following quests and there is a pretty decent economy developing for raw materials.  There is no ability to change the land or claim land.  it is much less theme park than ESO or WoW, but its no where near wurm.  Having said all that, Im having a blast over there   : )

Im all about graphics - if someone knows of a game like wurm with graphics like say Life Is Feudal, im interested  : )

Edited by newman330
  • Like 1

Everquest next! :o

https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/daybreak-president-community-letter-everquest-next-2016

R.i.p. -had to.. it's so fun... so much hype, gg engine and such future... and they buried it-

IDK.. depends what you like to do or wish to be able to do, there are so many games...:wacko:

'sandbox' is slapped to almost every next game, as survival/sandbox became popular or gamers were starved for that kind of gameplay.

Have you seen http://www.sandbox-games.net/games/ bunch of 'sandbox' games.

Probably closest thing to wurm is life is feudal and mortal online(wild-ish.. guess here), Xsyon, minecraft(with it's cubes).

Life is Feudal is the only game I've found that is almost exactly like Wurm Online.  It's still new and has a lot of bugs in beta though.  I've played the "your own" version and it's pretty damn good, but I stick with Wurm for now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/

At the moment, apart from Wurm I play a bit with other sandbox games.

The already mentioned Rising World, which is turning out to be a reasonable survival game, with features I find both excellent and annoying, the crafting side is reasonably accessible, the terraforming side suffers from aa few irritating glitches, especially where water is concerned, but it's developing quite nicely, the dungeons are fun, the mining and caves are alternately fun and annoying, due mainly to the terrain deformation system, which I think needs some fixes, (personal opinion, others will disagree).

Empyrion: A more futuristic sandbox game, again, Early Access, and under heavy, and sometimes crazy, development, as a sandbox game goes though, it's worth a look, I certainly have a lot of fun, especially when testing out the newer features on the experimental branch, (Opt In).

Astroneer: Fun, in a desperate and barren small and frankly unrealistic solar system, but the terraforming is top notch, when you figure out it's quirks, the crafting side is quite restricted at the moment, mostly vital installations needed to even begin exploring the world, and the rest of the solar system, for resources to make ... more installations. Suffers from running out of things to do quite quickly, but it is under development, and features are released reasonably often to make me return for a little bit of playtime.

Wurm beats them all though, the other games are just a bit of fun, not something I can spend hours a day playing, mostly because they lack the additional social dimension that Wurm has, the other players to interact with, it's the community that make Wurm so unique, not the bells and whistles that other games have, though bells and whistles are appreciated too.

Not out yet but looks interesting if you are not into Zombies and Guns:

https://2gamesstudios.tumblr.com/

""  LIFE: A Lighthearted Survival Game, coming soon to Steam Greenlight!  ""

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

PS: I actually enjoy 7 Days To Die once I figured out how to disable zombies, ignore guns and cities, and just make a custom outdoorsy map and use bow & arrow for deer hunting.

There is a big update coming "anytime now" that should give  a ton more freedom in building designs. Right now they have bears deer pigs and I think they are about to add more wildlife (wolves, buzzards, some other stuff)

There are also new updates this week in Rising World

ECO Survival has some intriguing elements, it's meant for Co-op play (so that you can battle environmental issues as a team) but can also be played singleplayer (early stages still)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/

ss_c961c6f52ee4c92d36947e6ae48322d8c41f3

I started tooling around a little this week in Eve Online again, my first time back in many years. They have a new "alpha clones" free to play option though like Wurm, there is a cap on how far you can get without either putting in money or working pretty hard for ingame ways to buy gametime, Not sure how long I will stay with it this time -- I don't think i am committed enough to work my way up to "omega clone" ie premium status, but kinda fun again trying out all the tutorial missions (Exploration, Industry, Military) from the NPC agents for now. Yes, I am a carebear so yes, I stay mostly in pve solo friendly high sec areas. SO SHOOT ME. 

I enjoyed early builds of Subnautica which can be fun if you like the idea of building an underwater station while gathering  crafting resources. There is a bit of a storyline though like all true sandboxes, you can kind of ignore it to wander around on your own. 

If you are not a stickler for modern graphics, Unreal World (iron age finland). every so often I jump back in for a few weeks of huntging reindeer with bow and arrow, avoiding death by frostbite or starvation, and trying to put together a nice homestead before winter sets in hardcore.

I also tinkereed around a bit in Creativerse which is kind of a prettified minecraft. Steam has a free to play version you can try out.

For some reason I enjoy plunking around in the "beginner" stages of these games more than racing to get the the so-called "endgame," which means I enjoy ones with replayability in the early stages (new map, slightly different challenges, but slower paced exploration rather than action-combat oriented) 

I always end up back in Wurm, though.

• Like 1

I think what I need is someone who I can trust to follow all the early access / alpha / beta status games, summarise when they bring out major changes, and give them a new rating each time. That way I wouldn't have to check each one occasionally to see if it's in a state I'm willing to try it :P

41 minutes ago, Wraithglow said:

I think what I need is someone who I can trust to follow all the early access / alpha / beta status games, summarise when they bring out major changes, and give them a new rating each time. That way I wouldn't have to check each one occasionally to see if it's in a state I'm willing to try it :P

Check out sandboxer.org

Ylands is made by Bohemia Interactive, the company that did Arma & DayZ, but a totally different style of game from those. Reminds me a bit of the original Stranded or a bit like SALT.  It's a little demanding for my really old computer but should play nice on new systems: I am rather fond of procedurally generated voxel building games and this one has some interesting elements: Instead of using square cubes for everything there is a much nicer "artsy" prism style to the world.  I died a few times the first time I played, from not paying enough attention to being cold or hungry (yes you can die from cold, so put some clothes on and build a fire!) It is one of those games you can jump into not really understanding how it works, and just enjoy figuring things out bit by bit.  It's coming to Steam Early Access this coming summer but you can get in early through their website, getting in during alpha costs $9.99 and I think will cost more when it gets released to Steam (you'll get a steam key too). There is a fair amount of content for a pre-pre-early-access-alpha, but its not yet a completed game. Still enough to putter around with for hours! There is a Scenarios editor and I think they are hoping to make this an active modding game.

This is a lets play by Christonian who I used to follow for his indie game early looks:

• Like 1

Waiting for Camelot Unchained. Sandbox pvp with open world, 3 kingdoms and many races and classes.

I played around on ARK for quite a while and enjoyed it. I did miss the terraforming but the depth and complexity of the crafting / building system was good+. Even went to renting a private server with a few minor adjustments to the skills. After a while though, the game did get frustrating with the deluge of too much new content. Imho, the game was wrecked for PvE with the advent of the new Tech Tier. Tbh, once you've played a character long enough, environment becomes inconsequential, most of the smaller denizens you feared would become simple annoyances.

All that said, it was an enjoyable game for better than a year. If you do try it, I would strongly recommend using a public server long enough to learn the basics then abandon that for a private server with an active playerbase. The game does take animal husbandry to a whole new level.

Edited by Calisthra
typos

Just a followup -- I have been playing YLANDS a little more, and it's actually a nice little game especially for those who enjoy exploration/crafting/building more than action/achievement. If you buy it now before it comes to Early Access Steam in summer, you can get it for half the price ($9.99) and still get a free steam key when it is released on steam. There is a one hour timed demo you can test out if you have an older computer or simply want to make sure you enjoy the game world (system reqs are a little higher than I expected BUT lucky for me, I just this week upgraded my ten year old computer's cpu, ram + gpu ... so i finally have a modern computer again!)  

Most of the game is pretty intuitive BUT you are not given detailed information and you need to experiment and play around with things. This actually is much of the game's charm so i would not rush into trying to look up wikis, guides and powerplay walkthroughs.  One easy to overlook hint: On the crafting page select the KEY ITEMS icon to select items that will help unlock recipes of other items.  However I do suggest  Gracekain's series  if you need some youtube guidance on getting started, or to get a feeling of what the game is about.  This game will NOT appeal to those interested in heavy combat/action (there is combat but it is pretty minor part of the game), or those who want to rush through content as fast as possible, or want to compete with other people (there is 4-person multiplayer however)

Besides a tutorial world and a sandbox "random procedural generated"  world (my fav), there are also "Themed Worlds" you can explore esp if you enjoy story roleplay on pirates, castle sieges, westerns, mad scientists etc, but everything in those can also be made in sandbox "Explore" mode. In EXPLORE/sandbox, you start on a smaller island but can eventually make rafts, boats and large sailing ships to explore other islands and biomes. Some resources will require you to explore other islands.I have not tried the Multiplayer at all so no idea how that works as I prefer singleplayer for these types of games, but multiplayer does exist. I believe however it is limited to 4 players. 

buy.jpg

Of course it is no substitute for WURM but then, nothing really is, but it does make for a nice temporary diversion

It might be a little lightweight or "cartoony" for people who are into "hardcore" gaming -- but you will die and die often if you are not careful ^_^ If not from Bears and Wolves, then from weather and starvation.

TRAILER

WEBSITE
STEAM PAGE

YOUTUBE OFFICIAL CHAN

PS: it is PRE- Early Access so do not buy if you want to wait for a completed game, however there is more content than some early access games have (and less than others). I have been playing about 10 hours so far but then i enjoy restarting on a fresh world every so often, which may seem weird to some but very familiar to others...

• Like 2

Curious whether anyone has tried the Early Access release of Steam Hammer

It's billed as a "hardcore sandbox game" that reportedly is based off the Life is Feudal: Your Own engine but by different developers and set in a steam punk  universe instead of medieval setting. 

Supposedly can be played singleplayer or Coop/multiplayer, has terraforming, farming, crafting  and ... airships.

I have not tried it, the reviews are "Mixed,"  am hoping someone else takes the $26.99 (sale) bait ^_^  It's supposedly still a little rough at the moment so consider it a "high risk investment"

Website

Steam

Kickstarter Page (already funded)

i believe it is one of those games where, in multiplayer, at default settings no one person can do all tasks (ie skill caps) so I am not really sure how this works in singleplayer, which i imagine is less PVP WARFARE and more care bearish ...

edit: when I was googling more on singleplayer, sounds like people running a server can set whatever settings they like to remove skill caps, speed up actions etc.

See also this youtube video, billed as a LetsPlay Tutorial

• Like 1

i've added this to my wishlist, it's basically life is feudal on speed by the looks lol. sounds interesting.

THE LONG JOURNEY HOME 

This "space survival sandbox" game looks pretty interesting and I might decide to give it a try! It unlocks on may 30.  it's a smidgen pricey at $39.99 so I will probably watch more reviews and youtube videos on it before deciding whether to invest in it. However, i love procedurally generated worlds, and Gamereactor gave it a 9 out of 10. Hopefully it is not another No Man's Sky ...

Steam Page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/366910/The_Long_Journey_Home/

Here's a "First Look" by Quill18:

KINGDOMS

Another procedurally generated game I have not tried, in a more medieval setting, is Kingdoms. It's been out longer so maybe some people here can comment. From what I hear, it started out a little shaky but got much better over time & updates. Cheaper at $9.99 -- and rougher for those able to handle a little lack of polish & some bugs in an early access game. 

MAIN FEATURES
>>DYNAMIC WORLD
During the game, the world changes constantly: settlements appear, new houses, taverns, and shops are built. NPCs decide for themselves what to build next and how their settlement should be developed; and of course this living world reacts to any players' actions.
>>LIVING AI
Each npc has his own life goal and acts depending on this goal. Every NPC is unique - temper, motivation, reputation, skills and many other parameters affect NPC behavior. Even when NPCs have the same goal, this goal can be reached in different ways depending on situation.
>>FREEDOM
You can do anything you want, you can go anywhere you want. Explore caves and ruins, fight wild animals and bandits, trade with other characters, open shops, taverns or manufactories, create settlements or even whole kingdoms and manage them or just help other people. It’s up to you!
>>DYNAMIC COMBAT
As with all other aspects of KINGDOMS, we want to make combat as realistic as possible. The movement of your sword depends on mouse movement. Our goal is to make combat intuitive and give you a challenge. One perfect strike can be the final one.
>>K-EDITOR
Our mods editor, K-Editor, allows you to make any kind of modifications from new items to global mods. World, quests, AI, items, creatures - All can be changed or modified.

Steam Page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/409590/KINGDOMS/

Let's Play (GameEdged) 

CROSSWORLDS ESCAPE

another early access and still "rough: is Crossworlds Escape, which I have been following a little as it's a little more "hardcore survival" -- I tend to prefer "survival" games that pit you against nature & the elements instead of combat-zombies-guns \, and this looks like it fits into there though very clearly an indy one-dev game.  Another one where you might want to check more reviews and youtubes before investing in ($14.99 early access) 

Steam page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/511430/CrossWorlds_Escape/

YouTube Lets Play: 

OSIRIS NEW DAWN

Another interesting looking space survival sandbox, early access with some recent updates:

STEAM page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/Osiris_New_Dawn/

LetsPlay:

WORLDS ADRIFT  has finally come out in CLOSED BETA which means you can finally get some early gameplay videos on YouTube and hear some early reviews.  This is an MMO with PvP. and reportedly no singleplayer or "safe zones" (which means I will be passing it by as I am too much a carebear, but might very much appeal more as a result to some others)

STEAM:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/322780/Worlds_Adrift/

• Like 1

Osiris looks like Arc... Worlds Adrift is quite laggy, freezes whenever you are rendering new places.