Sign in to follow this  
Forgedrake

Rain Catcher - Idea

ok so here is the idea in a nut shell and things I know are already in game

(I'm sure there maybe another better looking item or model but going with small barrel)

a small barrel that will slowly gain water say 2-3kg's 2 RL hours - this would allow for camps or new players to gain water without the need for pendulums and learning how to use them as well as travel inland or long term survival as well as being both a nice immersive element without being cheat styled wells placed anywhere - giving players time to set up longer without running carts with barrels to water and such

the small barrels already in game and moveable (large barrel also would work)

gm's get a auto fill function that lets wells be placed anywhere

I know there is also a filter on time to fill as a well has a different timer then a source spring set to auto fill which only fills 0.1KG a every day

so that is the idea

I recall more than once travelling around a new server and accidentally getting lost in a vast inland area. Too newbie to use fog spiders for water, so I just completely ran out. This kind of mod would have been awesome to have in those places!

On one hand you have the 'water' tiles for well/fountains but a portable device I could see and support.

Example would be you throw your tent down in a random place in the wilderness and a water catcher, you go to bed in the morning you have a fresh supply of water. Another might be you setup camp roam around come back to camp might have been lucky to collect some water.

Swap small barrel to large, and make it trigger on actual weather (would obviously need to be able to detect said weather)? not nearly as useful for random travelers, but makes it very useful and realistic for inland homesteaders who haven't gone well-hunting.

• Like 1

Why not have both small and large barrel work, as well as a bucket?  Maybe a pottery bowl? 

I once spawned on a world where there was no water anywhere nearby, and no resources with which to make a bucket or barrel. Just sand everywhere, and mountains way off in the distance. I set off toward the trees, hoping there would be water there, but when I got there I found that the water was so far down the cliff face that it would be impossible to climb back up. So I kept walking and walking for over 3 hours, getting slower and slower because I couldn't regain stamina while at 0% water. 

It would have been great if there had been some way to collect water with just the starter tools - perhaps setting a pottery bowl next to a tent and waiting for morning "dew" to drip off the tent into the bowl?