Sign in to follow this  
Hippiedruid

Is there a way to freeze a server so it doesn't update?

My friends and I like where our server is at mod-wise and I don't want to have to do any more updating of mods. Is there any way to freeze our server version and client version?

From the February devblog: " While we do not have the resources to provide active support for self-managed updates, we do provide an in-built option to disable the automated ones as well as documentation on how they are performed. "

Where is this in-built option?

That's in relation to database updates when running an update, not entire game updates, It's more about choosing when and how it updates not stopping it from updating completely.

Copy the entire Wurm Unlimited directory (C:\Program Files x86\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited) and paste it to another location.

Place a text file in the newly pasted directory under the Wurm Launcher directory name this file steam_appid.

Inside that text file write 366220 and save.

Run the WurmLauncher.exe from this directory and never run it from steam again, the version inside the pasted folder will never be updated, if in the future you wish to connect to a newer server you will need to run the updated version from steam.

This does not circumvent the DRM in any way, it only prevents steam from updating the other copy.

Edit: this also allows you to run as many instances of the game that you wish (alts).

Edit Again: for the server do the same thing, - the appid step, you should be doing that anyway instead of running the server from the steam directory.

Edited by ausimus
  • Like 1

I would just disable the automatic update in the steam library for the game/server

fail, i see now its not realy possible via steam

Edited by Eject

@Retrograde ah.

@ausimus Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

@Eject  Yeah, its a shame automatic updates only have those 3 options. ("Always keep this game up to date, only update this game when I launch it, and High priority - update this game before others.) That's what I tried looking through before posting.

I will say, Updates are fairly important, as not only do we continually produce new content, we also address old bugs and improve upon mechanics and code from the past as well. 

Disabling updates entirely also means if someones client updates, they wont be able to connect to your server, and neither will new people.

I understand not wanting to fiddle with updating mods, but I think it's quite important to realise that you're missing out on a lot that comes out every update as well.

• Like 1

I've had my stuff in a different drive since day one to prevent my side from updating till I update my own modding on my side.

Like Retrograde said you will want the updates to address fixes and new content. I'd recommend to start dabbing in coding and learn something new so you can mod your own server like I do, then you never have to worry about will this mod continue or will it stop at some point. Some people might think I'm odd why I don't use mods others use yet I do some of them on my own server but by my means and not the mod system. 

I don't want to one day wake up and my altered content be gone cause someone who made a mod decides I'm done with wurm, or they screw up so bad it corrupts my server files breaking my server, or modlauncher/server at some point if Ago decides hes done or RL takes him away I'm up a tree with out a paddle. Regardless someone saying well someone else will take up the project your question will be how long? Is he any good? etc...

I'd say mod your own server hard coding  on the side commenting every thing you change until the API is complete then move it all over when the API is complete. Then you never have to worry about a mod not getting updated if you are the one modding it. This is my soul reason why I never use mods other than what I do on my own server.