Sign in to follow this  
_Teal_

Remove BC checks to chance spot stealthed players

This is a weird one, but what i believe is body control checks[?] to spot other players around that are in stealth, this can sometimes range up to 30+ tiles.
You spend time stealth walking at a slower pace then somebody spots you because you left a mine or cause for some reason they were just able to spot you from 30 tiles out.
part of me isn't sure if this should be in the bug section or it's an intended feature, but imo it should be removed, fixed or tonne down to 10 tiles max.

I think moving whilst stealth has an increased chance of them seeing you also - but lately it's been crazy with how easy it is to spot players. 

With pillars/locates/pendlums/running over tiles, unstealthing or hunting down a stealthed player is pretty easy and since they can't lead horses it's normally going one direction if they're caught out early. Stealth rewards you with the power of suprise but does have a lot of set backs for the gain, the spotting players from 30+ tiles out isn't a set back that's fair or balances, it just destroys the purpose of stealth.

One for discussion/debating change. Effects pvp mostly.

15 minutes ago, Worksock said:

I tested stealth a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy but I think it was based mostly on body control and mind logic

99 in both lets you spot stealth players from miles away

So basically ^ - can this be changed to limit 10 tiles away or removed totally. 

Edited by _Teal_
  • Like 3

+1 only real true way to sneak up on people. 

Spend 15 minutes walking into local, then get caught last second because of a weird stealthing system.. 

• Like 2

Even allowing rift jewelry or jewelry you can craft/cast to fill BOTH ring slots to give you a 90-100% boost to not being spotted, but giving up your nolo [if you aren't a priest]

Edited by _Teal_

Also, there is suppose to be a back stab bonus/attack bonus for the first hit you do when coming out of stealth behind a player, I forget the ingame message,

but is this actually in or was it removed [saw in code]

This should be added back/made sure it's there also. 

• Like 1

Stealth is too broken to even warrant using in most cases.

Is only even somewhat reliable if you remain completely still 

Although I'd like to see the stealth mechanic overhauled, I believe there are more critical PvP mechanics to be looked into first.

+1 to stealth overhaul but not to be prioritized over more pressing matters 

21 minutes ago, _Teal_ said:

Also, there is suppose to be a back stab bonus/attack bonus for the first hit you do when coming out of stealth behind a player, I forget the ingame message,

but is this actually in or was it removed [saw in code]

This should be added back/made sure it's there also. 

I tested this extensively and could not get it to happen.  I think it uses the methods that check if the person is visible to based on gm power, rather than stealthedness, so the check never passes.  I believe it also checks that the attacker is in combat and the victim is not, but this can never happen bc combat for the victim starts as soon as you target them, and this check is performed afterwards during combat for both of them.  It's been a long time since I looked into it so I could be wrong but we tried all sorts of stuff to try and trigger the damage effect and event message but nothing worked.

24 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

+1 to stealth overhaul but not to be prioritized over more pressing matters 

Don't really need an overhaul nor was i asking for that, I was asking for the BC check to spot stealthed players [if its related] to be removed, as we think it's related, but you're actually the best person to ask, is it related or just broken bug?

12 minutes ago, _Teal_ said:

Don't really need an overhaul nor was i asking for that, I was asking for the BC check to spot stealthed players [if its related] to be removed, as we think it's related, but you're actually the best person to ask, is it related or just broken bug?

I tested stealth a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy but I think it was based mostly on body control and mind logic

99 in both lets you spot stealth players from miles away

Edited by Worksock
  • Like 1

Ty Worksock, I've added that to the first post because thats basically the skill check we want removed

Wurm ninjas.. scary :ph34r:

So you want a super powerful stealth skill that could make you really OP.. and nobody to be able to see you until it's too late for that?

There should be a counter to that much power to keep the balance tho :unsure:

50 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Wurm ninjas.. scary :ph34r:

So you want a super powerful stealth skill that could make you really OP.. and nobody to be able to see you until it's too late for that?

There should be a counter to that much power to keep the balance tho :unsure:

If i remember correctly its like the smallest combat boost for the first hit - also getting behind somebody, avoiding mobs, it's tamed horse, gaurds, pavement, any self-interaction, all which causes you to unstealth to then proceed in combat without a horse, it's probably worth giving that small 'suprise' boost considering the trouble you go to to even get there. lol

I actually do stealth a lot, and I wouldn't consider it OP unless there is a well planned long awaited gank on somebody, but even then the chances of being unstealthed outside of them simply seeing you is pretty high unless you know what the hell your doing and plan accordingly your route etc. Nothing really OP about 'stealth' itself, but I can see the worry of the 'back stab bonus' but eh, it's in the code, could be working already and nobody knows, but just wanted confirmation, if its something that is gonna do 20-30% damage against sotg, i'd say no to it. 

It's not OP at all, but currently, with BC/Logic checks, you will fail 99% of the time moving whilst stealthed, you will simply be spotted and show up in local, even tho you aren't aware you've been spotted, because you don't unstealth or anything to indicate it. 

I think simply removing the mind logic check/stealth check or reducing the effectiveness/range will be enough to bring it into line and 'balance'

Edited by _Teal_

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, _Teal_ said:

Even allowing rift jewelry or jewelry you can craft/cast to fill BOTH ring slots to give you a 90-100% boost to not being spotted, but giving up your nolo [if you aren't a priest]

Nolo works on necklaces too, and if its not currently then its a bug.

Was involved in the testing with Rolf when he added the nolo-on-jewelry feature.

Also all for making stealth less brutal, also more ingame feedback on ur stealth status would be lovely.

Edited by Klaa