Sign in to follow this  
CmdrZin

Still no /loc command and no player map position?

Well, back after a year or so break and I see there is still no way to find your location coordinates or see your location on the map or is it that I can't find the right commands and settings?

Can anyone offer a reason why these simple things aren't in the game? If it allows you to annotate the map where your mouse pointer is, how hard can it be to use the player's location to annotate?

This has to be the most frustrating part of wandering around in this game.

There are plenty for and plenty against such a thing. I would hazard to guess it's not something the Devs plan on implementing otherwise such a way to find your exact map position would've already been implemented. I will also say it isn't hard to figure out your location ingame, just check your surroundings, use a compass, check wind direction ect.

Or a limited idea is to have a /loc command that would tell you how far away you are from a starter town.

/loc

[01:02:03] Linton is extremely far away a head of you.

lol :P

The fact that you don't see map pointer of your location but that you have to turn your brain on in order find your way is what won me over with this game. It was so exciting back in the days, a real adventure :D and i would never like to see such option implemented. Using dioptra on Sol to give you back ingame coordinates(like G geografic latitude and 8 geografic longitude not uselles north west regions :D) with accuracy based on ql and some your skill would  be logical though :) 

• Like 7

Oh well, seems the sentiments haven't changed. Back to counting tiles/steps.

Think I'll go back to placing road markers every km or 1000 paces once I find a nice spot to settle. The Romans at least had those.

Lots of development, roads, and the new bridges. Left just as they were introduced.

One favorite is staues or towers with grid numbers created by the locals. There is plenty of options that very few people use.

• Like 3

The map dumps work very well to pinpoint an exact location, though they aren't updated often.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, kochinac said:

The fact that you don't see map pointer of your location but that you have to turn your brain on in order find your way is what won me over with this game. It was so exciting back in the days, a real adventure :D and i would never like to see such option implemented. Using dioptra on Sol to give you back ingame coordinates(like G geografic latitude and 8 geografic longitude not uselles north west regions :D) with accuracy based on ql and some your skill would  be logical though :) 

About sums up my thoughts to.

Yea road markers are helpful, i use lamps and dog statues usually to mark places of interest. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:11 AM, CmdrZin said:

Well, back after a year or so break and I see there is still no way to find your location coordinates or see your location on the map or is it that I can't find the right commands and settings?

Can anyone offer a reason why these simple things aren't in the game? If it allows you to annotate the map where your mouse pointer is, how hard can it be to use the player's location to annotate?

This has to be the most frustrating part of wandering around in this game.

I had mentioned this in some other threads but when I first started playing the game back on GV I got so lost that I logged out that character and just created another new one. This time I just stuck to the roads and eventually made it to Glitterdale, where I would start to further learn and enjoy the game. A week or so later I did relog the *lost* guy and then was able to figure out how to return him to the new place I had built.

So it just takes some time and a cautious approach at first to learn your way around the not too distant areas. As for long journeys through the woods, all bets are off. Even on WU servers with those mini-maps in game they only display a limited range on front of you. As for WO, this extended period of no in-game locator indicates a firm resistance against it; therefore, "all hope is lost" is a good motto to adopt in these instances.

Happy (lost) Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1