Malena

My new project: "Ultima Nostalgia" server based on UO map

Recommended Posts

Crap... went to make the other house. Then came back and...

 

crap.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That house seems appropriately cursed.

 

This is an amazing thread, by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chakron said:

That house seems appropriately cursed.

 

This is an amazing thread, by the way!

 

Hahah indeed! And that demonic spike of rock piercing violently through the floor, it was like facing a "Ye shall not pass" message from the house!

 

I decided to collapse the whole mine and start again. This time I mined one more time "down" before starting the flat even floors. So far, so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you by chance #setheight that tile near the house? Because that looks like a house that got it's terrain changed from under it :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bdew said:

Did you by chance #setheight that tile near the house? Because that looks like a house that got it's terrain changed from under it :P

 

 

Yeah. Silly me, it was one of my desperate measures to try when I was stuck at the entrance to the tunnel. (seen in the second half of this picture) 

 

troubles.jpg

 

At that point I was sure I had totally messed up my server. However when I logged back in after the database fix, the entrance looked "fine" and I didn't see any weirdness going on, so I just assumed it had somehow fixed itself haha. 

 

The sharp fang of rock seen in the prior pics was not on the same tile, so I didn't connect it to that desperate measure, as I had done it exactly at the entrance to the tunnel (where I was stuck). 

 

Right now everything looks ok again after I collapsed the mine tiles and started fresh. But perhaps it's possible that the setheight command I did in desperation is still "lurking" about somewhere in the geometry although it's not outwardly visible in any way.

 

If I still have problems, perhaps I should try collapsing all the mine tiles and setting the height of all the tiles in the immediate area. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think weird outcomes can happen from when the server "finds" the cave height higher than the surface height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jaz said:

I think weird outcomes can happen from when the server "finds" the cave height higher than the surface height.

 

Yep! That was probably it. Now that I mined one more tile "downward" before the actual passageway started beneath the houses, it seemed to help. No more issues. *whew!*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annnnnnddd the third video - the Hedge Maze!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure epic portals are safe to place, if the server is not connected to an epic server it'll just say that the portal is shut when a player tries to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bdew said:

I'm pretty sure epic portals are safe to place, if the server is not connected to an epic server it'll just say that the portal is shut when a player tries to use it.

 

Ok, good to know! I was so chicken I didn't dare testing it myself heheh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my god Malena!

I'm so impressed right now! I can't wait to see your progress on Vesper, my -hands down- favourite city in UO. I used to bankstand there sooooooooooooooo much.

 

have you maybe considered opening up your server already (including all the rules so we can only explore) while you are actually still working on your project?

I for one would DEFINITELY want to pay you a visit :-).

 

This thread has been so nostalgic for me :-) Thanks for this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hamster said:

Oh my god Malena!

I'm so impressed right now! I can't wait to see your progress on Vesper, my -hands down- favourite city in UO. I used to bankstand there sooooooooooooooo much.

 

have you maybe considered opening up your server already (including all the rules so we can only explore) while you are actually still working on your project?

I for one would DEFINITELY want to pay you a visit :-).

 

This thread has been so nostalgic for me :-) Thanks for this!

 

Aww! Well thank you so much for chiming in and sharing your thoughts! Getting comments like yours really give me inspiration to keep continuing this crazy lunatic project heheh. I think I will open it up once I get all the main cities built and move on to building things like dungeons and little tidbits scattered across the lands. Things like the crossroads and little peculiarities etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, we got the new wall types to Wurm Unlimited right? I can see the new wall types in the graphics.jar, however when I try to use the ebony wand or trowel to build something like that, I don't see any of the new options. Just the old stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok it seemed that I needed to update the server. Thanks to bdew's instructions here, I got the server updated and now the ebony wand works with the new wall options. 

 

However now I have an even bigger problem: the game has suddenly become so laggy after the update that it's barely playable. Is this a known issue of the new update? Or should this not be happening? 

 

Update: I was forced to simmer down the graphics settings to be able to play. I started off by doing simply one thing, and that was shaving down Shadow Detail from "Everything" to "Objects and Structures". That fixed the lag issue completely. But still, there must be something different now regardless, as I didn't have to do that before the update. So not sure what new thing has made the difference.

Edited by Malena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh, I'm so happy that we have these new house textures and the larger arched wall types! Nice work devs! 

 

This is exactly what I needed to be able to build the sandstone building as seen below in the UO screenshot. Note how it has both wider arched walls too. So this update couldn't have come at a better time! 

 

To get the Ultima colors just right, I did have to modify the textures a wee bit though: 

 

terxture-comparison_potteryroof.png

 

terxture-comparison_sandstone.png

 

 

sandstone.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the latest episode, this time building Vesper. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is incredible Malena, honestly, we am dumbfounded at how amazing this looks, we are itching to get in and run around and take in old memories from a different view !

 

Oh and your floor tiles thing....

 

Next to all the different floors is a number, if you right click your wand and goto item and then set data......change the Auxdata to the corresponding tile number you want, and you can paint with it without keep changing.

 

Also if you change the Data1 and Data2 in the same "item data" screen. Lets say to 3 and 3, you will paint a 3x3 area in the tile number you chose. I think you can go upto a huge 9x9 area ! Or just leave them at 1x1 and its a single tile.

 

we hope this helps :) Makes things SUPER fast !

 

Valiance and Kaylie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wulfrock said:

This is incredible Malena, honestly, we am dumbfounded at how amazing this looks, we are itching to get in and run around and take in old memories from a different view !

 

Oh and your floor tiles thing....

 

Next to all the different floors is a number, if you right click your wand and goto item and then set data......change the Auxdata to the corresponding tile number you want, and you can paint with it without keep changing.

 

Also if you change the Data1 and Data2 in the same "item data" screen. Lets say to 3 and 3, you will paint a 3x3 area in the tile number you chose. I think you can go upto a huge 9x9 area ! Or just leave them at 1x1 and its a single tile.

 

we hope this helps :) Makes things SUPER fast !

 

Valiance and Kaylie.

 

Aw thanks guys :) I have to admit I'm very pleased and surprised myself as well how this is turning out. UO just happens to be a very good match with the Wurm stuff.

 

Any time I've tried to build a real life castle or medieval house design, I've failed miserably because Wurm's style is so low and squashed and square and there is nothing organic about it whatsover. I've never succeeded in making a nice authentic looking medieval village like this for instance:

 P9300923.JPG

 

Let alone an authentic looking castle. But UO shares all of those same "problems", so it's a good match :). 

 

Oh and thank you so much for those tips! They sound super handy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im loving this thread!  I started playing Wurm as an alternative when the UO shard I was playing at closed, and I found the skills list to be suspiciously similar, so I stayed.

 

Watching all those UO familiar places come to live in 3D and in an engine I grew so familiar with is incredible!

I hope it all goes well, and that you eventually open the server for people to play in, with a UO ruleset. (750 skill points, no terraform, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 6:06 PM, Rathgar said:

Im loving this thread!  I started playing Wurm as an alternative when the UO shard I was playing at closed, and I found the skills list to be suspiciously similar, so I stayed.

 

Hullo Rathgar, yet another UO oldie. *high five!*
 

So far things are going brilliantly and I'm still having fun! I was on my summer holiday when the project started, so I got a lot done at that time. Now I'm back at work and we've got a big deadline coming up with late work nights, so not so much time right now. But it's getting there, slowly but surely!

 

And for sure I'll open it up! I might even figure out a way to let people live there if they want to. No promises, but I'm pondering the options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, to live on this amazing server would be a dream.  I would be interested in that if you ever allow for it.  I can't wait to see you work on Trinsic; that was my original home on UO and it has a special place in my heart :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Karbonyl said:

Wow, to live on this amazing server would be a dream.  I would be interested in that if you ever allow for it.  I can't wait to see you work on Trinsic; that was my original home on UO and it has a special place in my heart :)

 

Aww! Well if we were to get this through, I probably would allow it. So go and vote for this suggestion :). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aannnnd the next part is up on YouTube. The goal being to recreate the UO classic player houses in Wurm. Some turned out super well, others not so much. But it was certainly fun to try!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the new episode, we're building the island of Occlo. Pure lunacy!

 

 

 

Edit: I wonder if all those lawn tiles are edible by creatures, turning them into packed tiles eventually *scratches head*. I would hope not!

Edited by Malena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Malena said:

Edit: I wonder if all those lawn tiles are edible by creatures, turning them into packed tiles eventually *scratches head*. I would hope not!

 

Lawn is non-graze-able. Only grass, steppe and fields can be grazed down.

 

Added: And by the way about horses not following GMs... by default you are invisible so it can't follow you (wogic :P), if you go out of invisibility (#invis) you should be able to lead animals.

Edited by bdew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now