Sign in to follow this  
Malena

My new project: "Ultima Nostalgia" server based on UO map

Wow, ten episodes, half way. Thought it might be time to make something like this as a "index" of what's done so far. 

VideoCatalogPart1-10.jpg

Edited by Malena
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, bdew said:

Did you try changing the movement chance in NPC settings? It should help with that.

Ooooohhh... I only see gender and name change in the Custom NPC settings. Is what you're talking about set when first summoning, or where can I set that?

12 hours ago, bdew said:

In the last version i made my NPCs be able to path through water (before that they would just get stuck on the shore), but maybe i should add something that prevents them from choosing underwater tiles as a final destination...

Oh yes, that sounds like the perfect solution! And yeah, poor NPCs, all they wanted was to go see Britain or Trinsic. No chance buddy!

12 hours ago, bdew said:

I got distracted with a different ambitious modding project in the last few days, but i'll be getting back to work on the NPC stuff soon

No hurries or worries! I'm honestly just hugely grateful for everything already! Sometimes I think back to when I first began this project. How would I have ever been able to do all the stuff I've done in this time frame without all of these amazing mods. Mind blowing!

12 hours ago, bdew said:

I've heard about the game back in 97 when it just launched from one of my D&D buddies... Just getting the game involved quite a bit of crazy logistics since it wasn't sold in our country, and to pay the subscription i would give cash to an older brother of a friend that had a real credit card and he would pay for me. Started playing on one of the american shards (which was hardly playable with 33.6kbps modem dialup internet and the distances involved) and then moved to europa when it became a thing.

I've played on and off for a few years, more focused on the combat, and at times PVP, side of things than the social aspects - which looking back is a darn shame... I really enjoy hearing and reading stories from players that were involved in that stuff, and feel like i missed out on a lot... But i was a silly 13-ish old person back then that didn't know better :P

I did quit around 2000 as i was finding less and less time to play between pulling crazy hours at school and real-life activities (mostly partying, drugs and alcohol :rolleyes:), and then in 2002 went to do my mandatory military service until 2005.

After getting out of the army i tried getting back into the game but it was a very different, and significantly less populated, game now... so i never really got back into it. By then i found WOW and GW and moved on to greener pastures. Also never managed to recover my old account (*shakes fist at EA support*) which probably didn't help things either.

I did mess around a bit on private servers too from time to time, i think i even contributed some minor pieces of code to RunUO back in the day (I think you are using it for some of your UO sections in the videos?)

So interesting to hear your story! I've wondered many times. Yeah I sure do remember all the challenges of even getting to that point that you could play the game back then! Then the university + student apartments we were living in got the fastest Ethernet connections in all of Finland and I was able to finally get into UO. I remember how hilarious it was playing my thief. She could "outrun" her victims by simply walking normally while they were trying to catch her on horseback and still couldn't keep up. Such funny times :). 

I totally get the allure of the PvP side of UO. Both my sons were heavily into that in UO and I sometimes watched them. Like you say, a whole different side of the game! 

The way I finally quit after 13 years was when I "broke the game" kinda and lost 99% of all of my belongings that I had been keeping in my castle for all those years. All my rares (including several server birth rares), my memories like player written books, treasure maps, mibs and all the other treasures you might find in a veteran's castle.

I'm not sure if you ever got the chance to try out the customizing tool in UO, but it had this feature, that when you went into customization mode any items sitting in the house which were not locked down, would "teleport/drop" outside of the house to a tile under the sign.

I found that you could use this "feature" to your advantage, as it was a handy way to get stuff out of the house, especially if you needed to quickly get heavy things from the top floor down and out of the house. 

I had recently demolished the castle and moved all my stuff into a large customizable house just in front of it, the traditional way, pack horses, carrying etc. But a few days later, I found myself regretting it and decided that I miss my castle after all, and since the castle spot was still free I decided I'd demolish the customizable house and rebuild the castle. 

So I had allllllllllll my castle stuff still packed in dozens of chests, crates etc filling up the many floors of the customizable, then to quickly get them all out I decided to do the old "unlock items" > "go into customization mode" > "have everything drop under the house sign" trick. I mean I'd used it many many times before with the other customizable houses I had on other accounts, so it didn't even pop into my head that there could be any issue. But apparently it was an "overload" of stuff for the code, that apparently had some upper limit as to how many items it would stack on that tile, and once the house was demolished and the castle was up and standing again, I was ready to start carrying the chests in, only to realize that there were only like 3 chests stacked on the tile. I was utterly devastated. Called a GM, they came to see if they could "see" the items hidden in the geometry or something, but couldn't, and UO's policy at the time was that they don't return lost items. 

So, that was the end for me. Once it goes free to play this spring, I'll go sniff around, but I think my feelings are too bitter sweet to actually play anymore. 

And yes, that's RunUO I'm using. Don't know how I could do this project without it! So again you've helped me years before you knew it! :-D

32 minutes ago, Malena said:

I only see gender and name change in the Custom NPC settings. Is what you're talking about set when first summoning, or where can I set that?

Once you set the NPC to village/house it should appear in that window there under the "Movement: ..." section.

34 minutes ago, Malena said:

Yeah I sure do remember all the challenges of even getting to that point that you could play the game back then! Then the university + student apartments we were living in got the fastest Ethernet connections in all of Finland and I was able to finally get into UO. I remember how hilarious it was playing my thief. She could "outrun" her victims by simply walking normally while they were trying to catch her on horseback and still couldn't keep up. Such funny times :). 

Oh dear you reminded me how infuriating that lockstep system was... staring at your character stuck halfway through the walking animation for half a minute while the server/client talked out whatever disagreements they had about your position... just to rubberband you half a screen back in the end. Making me appreciate much more wurm just politely asking you to slow down and let the server catch up :D

37 minutes ago, Malena said:

I found that you could use this "feature" to your advantage, as it was a handy way to get stuff out of the house, especially if you needed to quickly get heavy things from the top floor down and out of the house. 

I had recently demolished the castle and moved all my stuff into a large customizable house just in front of it, the traditional way, pack horses, carrying etc. But a few days later, I found myself regretting it and decided that I miss my castle after all, and since the castle spot was still free I decided I'd demolish the customizable house and rebuild the castle. 

So I had allllllllllll my castle stuff still packed in dozens of chests, crates etc filling up the many floors of the customizable, then to quickly get them all out I decided to do the old "unlock items" > "go into customization mode" > "have everything drop under the house sign" trick. I mean I'd used it many many times before with the other customizable houses I had on other accounts, so it didn't even pop into my head that there could be any issue. But apparently it was an "overload" of stuff for the code, that apparently had some upper limit as to how many items it would stack on that tile, and once the house was demolished and the castle was up and standing again, I was ready to start carrying the chests in, only to realize that there were only like 3 chests stacked on the tile. I was utterly devastated. Called a GM, they came to see if they could "see" the items hidden in the geometry or something, but couldn't, and UO's policy at the time was that they don't return lost items. 

Ouch! Sad to hear about all that stuff being lost... And to such a silly bug. I would probably rage quit on the spot if something like that happened to me :(

• Like 1

Alrighty, busy as a bee working on Yew and yet again, was faced with new challenges. The problem with Yew is that pretty much the entire town is composed of LOG CABINS. And what wall types do we NOT have in Wurm? You guessed it: log walls. At first I tried the "ausfacades" log cabin mod by Ausimus and the release ago made, but it wasn't working properly. But Yew ain't Yew if it ain't got log cabins! So in my desperation, I replaced the brick wall texture with a log version. Not perfect without a nice 3d mesh, but it serves the purpose well enough for now:

terxture-comparison_log.png

logwalls.jpg

Maybe the suggestion I made in the suggestion forums will inspire them to finally get around to making these. 

Another texture I replaced (and made a suggestion for) was the enchanted tree texture.:

enchantedgrass.jpg

And while we're at it, let's have a look at the other texture craziness that has been going on.

In both the Trinsic and Nujel'm video, you guys might have noticed how the rendered walls have a beautiful light creamy color. A little level and color balance adjusting and voila!

terxture-comparison_rendered.png

In the Nujel'm video you might have also noticed that the marble walls look different. That's because I replaced them with the marble texture being used in marble bridges:

terxture-comparison_marble.png

And if anyone spotted the sandy boardwalks in the Nujel'm video, that's because I took the winter version of the wooden floorboard textures and replaced the snowy bits with sand:

terxture-comparison_sandyboards.png

Lastly, you might have noticed wooden benches. Since benches are wooden in UO, had to change those as well:

terxture-comparison_bench.png

This texture replacing business is getting a bit out of hand... and I'm only half way into the project so far! I'm gonna have to use that mod at some point, that bdew spoke of earlier.

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

Here you can see the faux log walls in action as I decorated a troll fort near Yew. Also bdews threedee and Taxidermy mods in action as I've placed trolls, wild cat, wolf and skeletons all over: 

• Like 1

Great job on the textures, you should make all your edits into a texture pack one day, i'm sure there will be people interested in playing with it even outside the UO project :)

Also i've replied to your problems with wall facades in the other thread.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bdew said:

Great job on the textures, you should make all your edits into a texture pack one day, i'm sure there will be people interested in playing with it even outside the UO project :)

Yes, I will most definitely be releasing a texture pack once the server is made public. :) 

• Like 1

i'm so impressed with this, wow you must be keen lol,.. looking amazing from what I've seen so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozmods said:

i'm so impressed with this, wow you must be keen lol,.. looking amazing from what I've seen so far.

Aw thank you so much Oz :) It might be worth someone checking my sanity at times though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malena said:

Aw thank you so much Oz :) It might be worth someone checking my sanity at times though!

it takes commitment lol, and being "normal" is boring, lol

• Like 1

Awww, Massively OP did a whole article on the 10th part (Nujel'm)! @Wulfrockdon't be surprised if you guys get a whole bunch of new residents for your server through this hehe. Not sure if you noticed, but I did a little thing on your server in the last episode. <3

http://massivelyop.com/2018/02/19/catching-up-with-the-ultima-nostalgia-project-thats-rebuilding-ultima-online-in-wurm/

How's this going, Malena?  I've been watching it with much excitement!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackBinimbul said:

How's this going, Malena?  I've been watching it with much excitement!

Hey Jack :) It's been a while, but it's coming along. Working on the town of Yew right now that looks completely different than any other area due to log cabins.

I've been busy with some other things lately, for instance creating the Wurm website and moving the item list over there so I could fully flesh it out as to aide me in decorating Yew. 

Then at work my role has switched to 3d, so I've spent a lot of my time doing Blender tutorials in my free time to get up to speed.

As for Yew, the area has been terraformed, all the buildings have been built and right now I'm in the process of furnishing the buildings and populating the town with NPCs. Once that's done, it's finished and then I will still need to edit the video footage and put it together. So slowly but surely! Thanks for chiming in, it always gives me a boost of inspiration when people show their interest! 

• Like 1

Good to know there's a site now!  I can keep a look out there.

I was wondering, when it's finished, are you just going to open it up as a public server or do you intend to make it available for people to download the whole kit and caboodle for their own servers? Either way, I'm very interested.  My only concern with the former is that (since it's based on UO) it's likely to be PVP.  Playing original UO back in the day is where my deep-seated hatred for PVP began.

2 hours ago, JackBinimbul said:

I was wondering, when it's finished, are you just going to open it up as a public server or do you intend to make it available for people to download the whole kit and caboodle for their own servers? Either way, I'm very interested.  My only concern with the former is that (since it's based on UO) it's likely to be PVP.  Playing original UO back in the day is where my deep-seated hatred for PVP began.

My rough estimate is by the end of this year, but it all depends on what's going on in my life as that can always bring unexpected delays. But not to worry, after all the work I've put into this, I'm determined to finish it :)

At this point in time, I highly doubt I will be providing the server to download "as is". If I ever decide to quit wurm for good some day, then I'd probably do differently so at least someone could enjoy it. 

The texture pack I will be sharing though once it goes public.

Fear not, it will most definitely not be PvP because the main purpose of the server is exploration, so making it PvP would not be helpful. That doesn't mean there will not be challenges to explore however, as the server will most definitely be populated with monsters to fight as you venture forth. But I will also balance this with providing players with enough skills and gear to take them down. 

• Like 1

That's greats news!  I will definitely be playing then.  The texture pack will also be an awesome addition to my offline server.  Thanks for taking the time to keep me updated!

A little sneaky peak of what's to come for Yew. I've almost finished decorating the entire town. All the interiors are done, just need to decorate the environment a bit still. 

"Great Oak Bowyer" where the local bowyers craft their bows from the finest woods

yew_woodworker.jpg

"The Tanned Hide" providing Yew residents with furs and hides

yew_butcher.jpg

• Like 5

This makes me fairly certain we need log cabins in WO, now where's that suggestion thread..

Amazing work Malena, well done.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

It's been months since the last episode, but the new one is finally here! The town of Yew is complete, with faux log cabins to boot! 

• Like 1

So tonight I was streaming as I was working on moonglow, and I saved the stream to YouTube as well. In the stream you see me battling with the fact that I need to be able to build a hedge fence inside a building (moonglow zoo)

Me realizing I can't build a hedge fence inside a building...

Sooooooo a friendly member of the Wurm community who had watched the video later on, sent me a private message and was trying to help me figure out how to solve this issue. And in that conversation we realized that hey, I could replace a normal fence type (say for instance the crude fence) with the hedge assets. So I copied over the hedge wom file and texture from the hedges folder to the one that holds the fences (yes they're in completely different locations), then renamed the wom file to that of the crude fence and voila! It worked like a charm! 

Of course, when the server opens up, 99.99% people are not going to change their graphics to the ultima nostalgia pack and will just see crude fences, but at least these are pretty for the video! Now I'm just wondering how dangerous this kind of business is. Can it mess up my server?

hedge_inside_building.jpg

• Like 2

How is this going? It's fascinating to read and watch!

• Like 2

Hey Nappy! Although it's been a long time since I touched this project, I have not given up on it. I'll probably continue working on it once we get the next Wurm Unlimited update, which I guess should be coming soon!

Hello ! I only know by name the game you're inspired but ... It's a really amazing job, I enjoyed reading this post see your videos.

I just have a curiosity, how long do you think you have spent on this project to achieve such a result ?

Edited by Muffinman
  • Like 1

Hey there Muffinman :)

Wow, thank you so much! Really tickles the heart that does!

Each "location" has completely different challenges, so some are faster to do than others. I guess if I were to think about the amount of hours I've put into this, it's probably in the hundreds by now.