Sign in to follow this  
Malena

My new project: "Ultima Nostalgia" server based on UO map

1 minute ago, bdew said:

Oops you're right it doesn't work with manual digging. i could have sworn it used to but i checked right now and it doesn't, so either i'm crazy or it was changed at some point.

Leveling with auxdata=1 still does that (not produce/consume dirt), but manually digging seems to ignore it.

Aaah right! Well thank you regardless! Kind of cool to know that these types of mechanisms are hidden in there somewhere anyhow. 

I also remember auxdata=1 was working with digging to dont produce or consume dirt. Maybe its the betterdigging mod that make dirtpiles and ignore the setting?

Eject

just tested, you get alwas dirt while digging

Edited by Eject

14 hours ago, bdew said:

0. shutdown server and backup everything

1. get sqlite browser and run it

2. open yourserverfolder/sqlite/wurmitems.db

3. go to execute sql tab

4. paste this: delete from ITEMS where TEMPLATEID=26;

5. press run button

6. it will say something like "Query executed successfully: delete from ITEMS where TEMPLATEID=26; (took XXXms, XXXXX rows affected)" in the bottom window.

7. click write changes button

This will remove all the dirt piles from the server (including in your inventory, on the ground, etc. but not in BSBs or crates).

Just to let you know, this worked like a charm and was so quick to do, thank you!

Oh my gosh guys, this last episode was so exhausting. It didn't help that during all these months that I've been working on it, I was bed ridden for weeks, my computer broke down and we world wide launch South Park Phone Destroyer. Then Christmas preparations. But... it's finally here! Thanks again for the help @Retrogradeand @bdew! <3 <3 <3

• Like 2

Thanks so much for these videos. I stumbled upon them just before Christmas and have now caught up, including the one from last week. Good to hear you're feeling better after the latter part of last year.

UO clearly holds a special place in your heart, as it does for many. Though enjoyable, the 10 years I spent playing WoW (following brief escapades in AC2 and Shadowbane) after UO left me with far fewer standout memories. Looking back at that time now, after producing spawn a few years ago myself, the feelings elicited aren't just nostaliga. I think the combination of realism and risk in the game world & the newness of the internet and MMOs (little in the way of received wisdom for developers to follow, and few (none initially!) MMOs of similar reach/quality) pushed together a set of differing types of player which made the experience of early UO (for me, mainly on Chesapeake with a little Great Lakes, from 1997 to 2003-ish) so much fun and beyond that - looking back with the benefit of hindsight - a time which was both extraordinary & impossible to repeat.

I think something like what I tried to describe there is part of what makes your project here so great; your love for UO shines through in the attention to detail you've clearly poured in to recreating the world here in Wurm. I'm glad to see it even got Runesabre and Designer Dragon's attention! You have also tempted me to have a look at both Wurm, and UO, whether footling on servUO, having a look at an official shard or trying a free shard.

Thanks again, and looking forward to your next episode.

Shen

• Like 2

Hey there Shen and welcome to the Wurm forums! Hopefully you'll become a regular around here *smiles*.

As far as memories go, yes it's the same for me. I also played WoW for quite many years after my UO days (with some DaoC and Anarchy Online in between). And while WoW was a fun "game" to play, it never felt like home or a place I virtually lived in. In WoW I might have special memories of finally getting that rare pet, or of some nice roleplaying sessions, but UO was all about memories of my friends "coming to my place and us playing backgammon" or entering a RP town and being stopped by players roleplaying guards, or getting revenge on a player killer who had killed me by chopping his head off and taking it to the bank to get bounty money. And who could forget all the amazing events that players organized. Stuff you could never do in WoW. In WoW, you were merely running along a set path that the game designers had designed for you and you were consuming the content they gave you, where as in UO (just like Wurm), you created your own content and decided your own path. Of course that would be more memorable. 

I've often analyzed why I love UO so much as well. How much does my nostalgia for UO revolve around the fact that UO was just such a darned good game and how much was it the newness of having an MMO experience, interacting with people from all over the world etc. And for sure, those things "enhanced" that feeling. But then I consider the fact that even to this day, whenever playing a new MMO, I still find myself comparing it to UO and thinking to myself "This and this and that, UO did better" or "Why doesn't this game have X, that UO had already 20 years ago. So it still holds it's own, which proves that it was certainly so much more than just about it being new and exciting. 

Oh and speaking of UO dev attention, I was delighted to see Lord British himself subscribe to my channel last fall <3. I'm sure it must make them feel warm and fuzzy inside to see how their MMO baby still stirs so many emotions in people today. 

If you decide to play UO, did you know that UO is going free to play this spring? So this would allow you to dip in, see if it still inspires you or not. I know I will certainly be going to "go visit" in the very least. I'm a little bit sceptical however, as all of the expansions since those early days with so many devs that have come and gone, might have just turned UO into a game I don't recognise anymore. We'll see. Here's the official webpage about this:

https://uo.com/endless-journey/

As for Wurm, if you try it, definitely start off with the MMO version "Wurm Online", it's free to play and gives a proper Wurm experience. Wurm Unlimited on the other hand is made up of player created servers in which server owners have adjusted the balance of the game to their own liking. And there is also the insecurity of not knowing the fate of the hard work you put in, as that player could decide to take down their server at any time. 

In this video I describe what Wurm Online is all about and very often dip into the similarities to UO. So if you're considering playing Wurm, you might want to give it a spin. :)

• Like 2

Great job on the last video, love your work on the dungeon. Some comments as i'm watching it...

Regarding monsters bashing walls... that could probably be modded out but i haven't found the right spot in the code in a cursory examination (there are 347 places in the code that damage wall-like stuff :blink:). I'll look more into it when i get the time.

You could also set all the walls as indestructible using the GM wand ("No Destroy/Bash" under Manage Restrictions), but it would have to be done manually per wall so might be a bit of a pain :P

Treasure chests do spawn in WO on Elevation server, and were also on Challenge (RIP). In WU they are automatically spawned when "Random treasure chests" feature is enabled on the server. They and their content will sadly decay over time and despawn. Also at least the server-spawned ones when fully looted by a player they despawn right away, not sure if that applies to GM-spawned chests.

You could maybe use normal chests and have the "loot" be awarded by a ruler mission to players... I'm not really all that familiar with how it works but i know WO GMs used that in some events (like the maze on xanadu a few years ago). 

Decorative skeletons does sound like a fun idea for a mod and shouldn't be too hard to do either :P

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bdew said:

You could also set all the walls as indestructible using the GM wand ("No Destroy/Bash" under Manage Restrictions), but it would have to be done manually per wall so might be a bit of a pain :P

Treasure chests do spawn in WO on Elevation server, and were also on Challenge (RIP). In WU they are automatically spawned when "Random treasure chests" feature is enabled on the server. They and their content will sadly decay over time and despawn. Also at least the server-spawned ones when fully looted by a player they despawn right away, not sure if that applies to GM-spawned chests.

You could maybe use normal chests and have the "loot" be awarded by a ruler mission to players... I'm not really all that familiar with how it works but i know WO GMs used that in some events (like the maze on xanadu a few years ago). 

Decorative skeletons does sound like a fun idea for a mod and shouldn't be too hard to do either :P

Thanks for taking the time to check the wall bashing thing bdew, sounds like it is no simple thing indeed. I was hoping it was be just some single option somewhere haha. But I'm not scared of hard work as we've seen from these videos, so actually being able to set walls to be no destroy/bash is perfect! That already helps a lot! I was really disheartened when I couldn't use any of the humanoids for the dungeon and what was left felt a bit limp. 

About treasure chests, ahaa! Nice to know. I'll have to most definitely enable that feature for this server, although of course the loot inside is nothing much to write home about haha. And I'll have to look into that ruler mission option, thank you. 

Oh that skeleton thing would be SOOOO nice to have! I can imagine a lot of players having fun with those. 

Hi Malena.

Same with the skeletons, you can use the GM wand and set them to no take, no decay etc....the only bad thing is that people can still bury them as they are a corpse.

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wulfrock said:

Hi Malena.

Same with the skeletons, you can use the GM wand and set them to no take, no decay etc....the only bad thing is that people can still bury them as they are a corpse.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Oh cool! Yeah I've never used that tool before. Well guys, I just finished the Nujel'm cemetary and set the bashing restrictions for all the fences and walls and skeletons, then spawned some scorpions in there. So we shall see what happens!

• Like 1

Sounds great, looking forward to seeing it :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

8 hours ago, Malena said:

Oh that skeleton thing would be SOOOO nice to have! I can imagine a lot of players having fun with those

Ok so i was thinking about it, and why limit it to skeletons?.... *a few hours laters* and this was made :P

You can skip the crafting part and just spawn whatever decorative corpses you need, read the spoiler in the link for instructions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bdew said:

Ok so i was thinking about it, and why limit it to skeletons?.... *a few hours laters* and this was made :P

You can skip the crafting part and just spawn whatever decorative corpses you need, read the spoiler in the link for instructions.

Amazing! That offer of sending you some Finnish chocolate still stands! :)

Now that I'm making use of bdews mods that allows making decorations out of creatures/corpses and allows putting stuff on tables...

(see these both in action in this post)

This means that my weekend is going to be FULLY devoted to going over all the areas I already built in Nostalgia and going a decoration spree. I'm in pure euphoria even now thinking about it and planning! 

Buuuuuuuuttttttt.... this also arouses some worries and concerns about DECAY. After all of the hundreds of hours I've put into this project, what is the absolute best way to protect everything from decaying over time? I mean the entire server is deeded of course, but still stuff decays a little bit. Upon creating new items I give them 99 QL, but that will only hinder the process. Then like in the case of the way I decorated the tables with foods etc in the post above, this will all decay away super fast right? 

nujelm_butcher02.jpg

Is there any way at all to simply turn decay off for a server? 

On 1/12/2018 at 0:58 PM, Malena said:

Is there any way at all to simply turn decay off for a server? 

Now there is :D

Also what we discussed about NPCs... WIP, but should be already usable:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bdew said:

Now there is :D

Also what we discussed about NPCs... WIP, but should be already usable:

I woke up this saturday morning all set and prepared to continue work. (Nujel'm is almost completed btw) Then I read this and my jaw dropped on the floor :-o. Do you have any idea Bdew how much this no damage mod will help me and others wishing to decorate their servers?

By the time we reach April, I will have worked on this project for already a year. This means countless hours of work and thousands upon thousands of decorations and items that I've lovingly placed within the world to get everything just right. I knew that "decay" was a looming problem that was inevitable to face at some point, and so I've been pondering how I will handle it. Would I have to go through each place I created and hand repair everything? Or would I find a way to go into the database and set decay values to 0.0 somehow, but even that would be a horrendous, time consuming, daunting task and something that would have to be done repeatedly over time. It was an issue I preferred to not even think about yet...

With this one mod, do you realize just how much worry and stress you've dropped off my shoulders, how much of the work I've already done will be salvaged and how much time you've saved me for the future? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

As for the NPC mod, YEEEESSSSSS!!! 

Believe it or not, but this mod could have a much more impactful effect on Wurm than you know.

Rewinding way way way back to the days where I had played Wurm Online only a few months and had set up my first little home and first deed and built my first boat, acquired enough skill to ride a horse etc. It was at this point that I set out to truly go exploring for the first time. I encountered so many amazing towns and villages, so many cute little farms and so many grand castles. But there was one thing missing from all of these places, and the game in general: LIFE

Sure, I'd sometimes see a name or two in the local chat or even bump into some people, but even then, within the space of a huge town filled with smithy shops, cookeries, taverns etc, I'd only find the owner puttering around crafting something. The penned horses, pigs and cows brought "some" life to a village, but even they would "moo silently". All the animals were completely silent. 

So this really made a negative impact on me as a new player. I loved the game, I loved the landscape and I loved the building possibilities, but the game lacked LIFE. So I thought feverishly about this issue and how to solve it. Of course I understood that in "the perfect world", Wurm would just have hoardes of players, in fact so many players that villages were literally overflowing with inhabitants. But we all know that with a sandbox MMO of this size, that is just never going to happen. 

So what could be the SECOND BEST thing? NPCs. Give the players the possibility to "populate" their deeds with NPCs. Plant a blacksmith standing in front a forge, place a bartender in the tavern, put a cook into the kitchen. I even made a suggestion about this back in March of 2014:

The response was mixed. Some were all for it, others strongly against it and I understand their reasons. But being a realist, I knew that we would never reach "the perfect world" they were striving for: populating villages with real players instead. 

So, since those times, this has been something that has bothered me, and it breaks my heart every time I read or hear about someone who "tried wurm" but "there was no-one around". 

So bdew! Do you realize that with this mod, I will be able to finally TEST my THEORY on giving some life to Wurm. With your mod I will populate these towns in Ultima Nostalgia and as we explore these places in my videos, we will see the vast difference! And what if it actually works? What if it actually gives a completely different impression of the game? What if we could convince the devs and the players that we need this? I mean, we already have merchants and traders.... And if we could convince them and the world of Wurm started to have some more life to it, complete with the impression you get in videos on YouTube as well as player's first impressions.... what impact that could have on Wurm as a whole. Probably not a drastic one, but every little bit helps! You're a life changer bdew! Do you realize this? :)

Edited by Malena
  • Like 5

Mobs bashing dungeon things. I would recommend just making new custom mobs that don't have wall bashing tagged. That is what we did on my server for dungeon mobs. I  also use a  mod to allow mission ruler to spawn anything. So you can spawn your dungeons when player arrives and examines something.  So players would not enter empty dungeons, and GMS won't have to restock them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jerone0601 said:

Mobs bashing dungeon things. I would recommend just making new custom mobs that don't have wall bashing tagged. That is what we did on my server for dungeon mobs. I  also use a  mod to allow mission ruler to spawn anything. So you can spawn your dungeons when player arrives and examines something.  So players would not enter empty dungeons, and GMS won't have to restock them.

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually bdew made a mod that literally protects everything on a server, so I don't have to worry about that anymore thankfully! 

The mission ruler thingie sounds cool though, I'll definitely have to poke my nose into that mission ruler stuff once we get nearer to the "launch". ;-)

Just finished editing the Nujel'm video and uploading to YouTube as we speak. 

Good grief, I think the video editing is the most tedious and time consuming part of this whole project! 

editingNujelm.jpg

Edited by Malena

And here it is! Thanks to bdews new mods, probably the most interesting of them all so far! 

• Like 3

Great job on the video and Nujel'm... looks awesome! And thanks for all the kind words :)

I do like how the town ended up with all the NPCs standing/wandering around. Would probably look even better if they could do some animations *shuffles around a mountain of paper titled "todo list"*

I think rift plants could fit well as decorations on sand tiles. Especially those brown/orange fern things. They are named extremely descriptively as "plant" in the wand and there are 4 different ones, one being the fern... The other three look like weird trees and have some particle effects attached that may be too overwhelming.

Also rift stones could fit as well.

You can see them on this image: (ignore the voucher part, that's just something i did for my server)

ROUYAss.png

Added: Oh yeah, and you can put tools or weapons on NPCs by dragging them into their hand slots in manage equipment, same place as the gloves.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Great job on the video and Nujel'm... looks awesome! And thanks for all the kind words :)

Thank you :) I'm actually really pleased with how this one turned out because I think the goal to make wurm feel like a really hot and dry desert kind of place, worked out well!

We already have sand in the game, all we'd need is for the devs to add is a few things here and there like some dry shrubs, cactuses, dry grass etc to plant on sand tiles.

Also as can be seen, the rendered wall type is really beautiful in this modified cream colored version. If I remember correctly, all I did was adjust the "levels" and "color balance" a little in Photoshop. Having such a "sun baked" feel to the walls + a few shrubs would be all wurm would need to inspire players to build desert cities like that. Landscape variation is something the game seems to sorely need. One of the reasons I don't explore the world more than I do in Wurm Online is because - other than the player constructed stuff - the landscapes are pretty much "same old same old". 

1 hour ago, bdew said:

I do like how the town ended up with all the NPCs standing/wandering around. Would probably look even better if they could do some animations *shuffles around a mountain of paper titled "todo list"*

Yep! I think even without adding the random animations, even tweaking the existing features a bit could do wonders. As you can see in the video, they seem to stand about perhaps a tad too much, so maybe increasing their rate at which they will start walking about a bit more. 

Also you might have noticed when we started the daytime tour at the cemetery, that there were a whole party of them skinny dipping along the shorelines. Perhaps the fact that the entire server is a "deed" in the case of my particular server, messes up their logic :-D. I don't mind them going swimming a bit, but they do seem to sort of end up in the water and stay there. 

But yeah obviously some random animating once in a while would be amazing. Even if it just randomized something from a pool of animations to start off with.

1 hour ago, bdew said:

I think rift plants could fit well as decorations on sand tiles. Especially those brown/orange fern things. They are named extremely descriptively as "plant" in the wand and there are 4 different ones, one being the fern... The other three look like weird trees and have some particle effects attached that may be too overwhelming.

Ooooooooooo!!! Great idea! I hadn't even thought of rift plants, since I've never been to one. Thanks! I'll most definitely use these at some point!

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Added: Oh yeah, and you can put tools or weapons on NPCs by dragging them into their hand slots in manage equipment, same place as the gloves.

Aaaahh ok! Good to know! 

By the way bdew, I've been meaning to ask: what's your history with UO anyhow?

Thanks again, Malena, for an awesome episode. I know this may seem a bit wierd as a youtube-comment, but i really enjoy watching your videos in bed before sleeping (not the dirty way). Your voice and videos are somewhat soothing and relaxing. :D 

And i have to say that im really impressed by the effort and time you put into this - never stop doing what you do! :) 

Cheers all the way to Finland.

Im almost asleep now. In a good way. -_-

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Thanks again, Malena, for an awesome episode. I know this may seem a bit wierd as a youtube-comment, but i really enjoy watching your videos in bed before sleeping (not the dirty way). Your voice and videos are somewhat soothing and relaxing. :D 

Im almost asleep now. In a good way. -_-

*grins* No worries, I know what you mean :). When I make these videos, I intentionally try to find music that will be soothing because I want the video to have that feeling of exploration and travel. So put together with my monotonous scripted dialogue will definitely do the trick haha!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malena said:

Yep! I think even without adding the random animations, even tweaking the existing features a bit could do wonders. As you can see in the video, they seem to stand about perhaps a tad too much, so maybe increasing their rate at which they will start walking about a bit more. 

Did you try changing the movement chance in NPC settings? It should help with that.

Also you might have noticed when we started the daytime tour at the cemetery, that there were a whole party of them skinny dipping along the shorelines.

Hmm yeah... Skinny dipping is generally a favorite past-time of wurm NPCs, especially tower guards :D

In the last version i made my NPCs be able to path through water (before that they would just get stuck on the shore), but maybe i should add something that prevents them from choosing underwater tiles as a final destination...

I got distracted with a different ambitious modding project in the last few days, but i'll be getting back to work on the NPC stuff soon

what's your history with UO anyhow?

I've heard about the game back in 97 when it just launched from one of my D&D buddies... Just getting the game involved quite a bit of crazy logistics since it wasn't sold in our country, and to pay the subscription i would give cash to an older brother of a friend that had a real credit card and he would pay for me. Started playing on one of the american shards (which was hardly playable with 33.6kbps modem dialup internet and the distances involved) and then moved to europa when it became a thing.

I've played on and off for a few years, more focused on the combat, and at times PVP, side of things than the social aspects - which looking back is a darn shame... I really enjoy hearing and reading stories from players that were involved in that stuff, and feel like i missed out on a lot... But i was a silly 13-ish old person back then that didn't know better :P

I did quit around 2000 as i was finding less and less time to play between pulling crazy hours at school and real-life activities (mostly partying, drugs and alcohol :rolleyes:), and then in 2002 went to do my mandatory military service until 2005.

After getting out of the army i tried getting back into the game but it was a very different, and significantly less populated, game now... so i never really got back into it. By then i found WOW and GW and moved on to greener pastures. Also never managed to recover my old account (*shakes fist at EA support*) which probably didn't help things either.

I did mess around a bit on private servers too from time to time, i think i even contributed some minor pieces of code to RunUO back in the day (I think you are using it for some of your UO sections in the videos?)

======

Edit: Also regarding the NPCs being derpy in village wandering mode... Now that i think of it, yeah having your whole server as a one big deed is probably messing that up. It works by selecting a random tile anywhere in the village, then calculating a path to it and following it. In your case that target tile likely ends up being halfway across the server which means the pathfinding likely fails and the NPC goes nowhere. Or it succeeds and he goes on a nice cross-continent swim :D

Edited by bdew