Sign in to follow this  
Malena

My new project: "Ultima Nostalgia" server based on UO map

As you guys know, I'm a complete noob with this "making your own server" stuff. So I need some feedback on whether this particular paragraph is described correctly. I'm going to be explaining this is my next video as I'll be showing how I change textures.

"Something to make clear is that when dealing with Wurm Unlimited, the client and the server files are different and located in different folders. They also have their own sets of mods. The client is the main meat and gravy of the game, and any changes you make to it - for instance changing the textures - affect any server you log into, regardless of whether it's your own server or someone else's. The server files however, control only the stuff directly related to that particular server. For instance the files that affect the shape of the land, or settings that control how skills are balanced. In this case we're talking about the Ultima Nostalgia server, but I have other private servers as well that I do experiments on. And while you can have an endless amount of servers, you can only be logged on and run one server at a time."

1 hour ago, Malena said:

And while you can have an endless amount of servers, you can only be logged on and run one server at a time

Everything is about right except this part. You can run multiple servers (as long as you assign them different ports), and if you have multiple clients running you can be logged into multiple servers at once (or multiple characters on the same server).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Everything is about right except this part. You can run multiple servers (as long as you assign them different ports), and if you have multiple clients running you can be logged into multiple servers at once (or multiple characters on the same server).

Thank you Bdew! <3 

*pant pant pant* 

*wipes sweat off brow*

Just finished editing the Trinsic video and it's up online. Another BEAST of a video. 

In the video I show the edits I did to some of the textures like the sandstone (which I've mentioned before actually as well), but I forgot to mention the changes I did to the rendered walls, converting them into creamy white washed walls, as well as how I darkened the wooden bridges. I would looooooove if we could have white walls like that in WO. *sniff*

terxture-comparison_sandstone.png

rendered.jpg

• Like 1

Those white walls are awesome. Great work Malena, that city is really nice - I've never played UO but these places really rock being rebuilt in WU.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Those white walls are awesome. Great work Malena, that city is really nice - I've never played UO but these places really rock being rebuilt in WU.

Thanks Jaz! Yes they really give a cozy atmosphere! I hope some day they could make something like that for WO. 

Regarding what you said in the last video about people visiting the server using default textures... When you get to that stage you could make a pack with your textures and have people with modded clients automatically download them and activate for your server only without affecting their game on other servers. It's really easy to do with serverpacks mod (comes with the modlauncher).

Added: Also you should probably mention to your viewers to back up their changes to graphics.jar so that they won't be wiped next time steam updates.

Added 2: Regarding changing the database while the server is running... It shouldn't break anything but the server likely won't pick up any changes until next restart since it loads most of the data to memory on startup. Some things changes also get overwritten when it shuts down. So yeah it's best not to touch the DB while running. For focus zones specifically you can create and delete them ingame using the GM wand.

Edited by bdew

Awesome work malena, I love the sandstone parapets! 

Focus zones can be done via ingame with an arch+ account (I assume you have an implementor)

aj5qjrL.png

Focus zones are found by activating the ebony wand and right clicking on it, then server > Create focus zone.

hyfryuz.png

this has some pretty powerful options, so take care and make sure to get used to some of them before using them.

Name - This is the one you want, a little green text pops up onscreen and the event bar

Name with popup - This provides the same with a confirmation window that the player has to click to go away

NonPvP - disallows pvp actions

Hota - Creates a Hunt of the Ancients zone

Battlecamp - dunno, never used it

Flatten [DIRT] - Flattens the zone to grass and sets the rock layer to be 10 dirts deep

Flatten [ROCK] - flattens and sets the area to rock

House Wood/Stone - creates a house the given dimensions size, it ignores slopes and other limitations, so looks wonky

Prem Spawn only - Not a WU feature, since all count as prem

No Build - Disallows building (duh)

Tall walls - Fences the entire area in tall stone walls

Fog - creates fog

75GGhpp.png

The dimensions are how many tiles in a radius from where you are standing, like how deeds used to work, 10 would set it 10 east and 10 west, and likewise with north south, so make sure to stand in the center of the zone you want

Name to identify the zone is the popup that comes up, so you would name this Tinsic.

Then click send ,and it should be setup! 

I look forward to seeing more of your videos too! 

On 8/14/2017 at 7:38 PM, bdew said:

Regarding what you said in the last video about people visiting the server using default textures... When you get to that stage you could make a pack with your textures and have people with modded clients automatically download them and activate for your server only without affecting their game on other servers. It's really easy to do with serverpacks mod (comes with the modlauncher).

Added: Also you should probably mention to your viewers to back up their changes to graphics.jar so that they won't be wiped next time steam updates.

Added 2: Regarding changing the database while the server is running... It shouldn't break anything but the server likely won't pick up any changes until next restart since it loads most of the data to memory on startup. Some things changes also get overwritten when it shuts down. So yeah it's best not to touch the DB while running. For focus zones specifically you can create and delete them ingame using the GM wand.

Ooooooohhhhhh! Well now! That sounds great! I remember you mentioning this mod before and I did try to add it but just didn't understand how to use it at the time, and well, I didn't want to be a bother as you've helped me already so much. Now that I have a little bit more understanding of things, I should have a new look-see, as I'm starting to have so many textures that doing ye olde zip drag and drop thing is getting annoying, even for myself. 

And before you and Retro mentioned the focus zone thing here, I had no idea. Great! Well that will certainly make things easier!

Thanks again :)

On 8/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, Retrograde said:

Awesome work malena, I love the sandstone parapets! 

Focus zones can be done via ingame with an arch+ account (I assume you have an implementor)

Aw thank ye kindly Retro! And well, not my work really, as I just mimicked the method wurm guys did for the stone parapet. I'm assuming that when we get the real parapets in the game, they will be identical (other than the color changes I did).

Hmmm, all I know is that I've set my character's level to 5 in the server settings. I guess that's the highest level right? Perhaps the same thing as "implementor"?

Focus zones are found by activating the ebony wand and right clicking on it, then server > Create focus zone.

Wow! Thank you so so much for all of these instructions. This will certainly make life easier and I can hardly wait to log onto one of my test "throw away" servers to test all those commands out!

I look forward to seeing more of your videos too! 

Aw thanks. Well I'm still having as much fun as before. The actual building bit is the most fun, the most work is actually making the videos and it's those I find myself getting a bit burned out on. They are so much work, it's insane. But I just need to keep it real and go at a comfortable pace without putting too much pressure on myself I guess. 

By the way, I've gotten a TON of people (mostly UO players) who would like to come and live on the server once it's done and would be willing to buy WU if it's possible to live there, but for that to happen at this point, I would really need this thing:

And of course for any new feature of wurm, it should be something that is useful for a large majority of the players, and not merely cater to the needs of a few. Thus, I'd love to share this thread with anyone wanting to make this happen, but at the same time if this is a full out utter impossibility, I don't want to waste anyone's time either. So what I'm trying to say here is: would you mind prodding around to see if this is even technically feasible? If it is, then it would be worth my time to seriously consider making this a proper server where people can live and play on. I would probably then making a video for the Ultima Nostalgia series to pose the question just how many would be interested in living there and whether they would like to contribute to campaigning for this tile permission suggestion. 

If however it is technically completely impossible, then I will gracefully accept that reality and alter my mindset back to the original plan, which was the "look but don't touch" idea. At least then, I could tell those inquirers a straight answer and instead of directing them to that tile thread, direct them to the first video I made

Edited by Malena

New problem: So little did I know when I made the server map, that I should leave enough "breathing space" along the server edges. And thus, for both Dagger Isle and Fire Isle, I get spammed by these popups over and over:

server-border.jpg

Sooooooo... is there any way for me to set that server border "buffer zone" to be thinner?

Regarding tile based permissions (or sub-deeds, or the other variants of this idea that have been floating around...) - This seems like a huge amount of work, the permission system and it's various interactions between kingdom/village/building levels is already overcomplicated both in therms of code and UX, all the permission related bugs that pop out every now and then and just people failing to correctly set them and getting griefed/robbed is a testament to that.

Adding another layer of complexity to that doesn't sound like a good idea, and honestly i doubt how useful the end result would be. Wurm as a game is built around modifying and exploiting the environment around the player... you need to mine, farm, plant and cut trees, hunt, etc. Being confined to a small plot in a town and being constantly told "no you can't do that" sounds like something that will get old extremely fast.

Personally if it was my project, i would just deed the cities and other notable locations, gm-protect roads and such and let people mostly freely roam outside that. Maybe give out town houses to players that want them for RP purposes and such.

Hope this doesn't come out as too negative. I love your work, just don't think that particular idea is viable.

On 8/18/2017 at 0:50 AM, Malena said:

Sooooooo... is there any way for me to set that server border "buffer zone" to be thinner?

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll take a stab at it when i get some free time.

35 minutes ago, bdew said:

Hope this doesn't come out as too negative. I love your work, just don't think that particular idea is viable.

Not at all Bdew! This sort of "reality check" is exactly why I was asking. I have been hesitant to push for or promote that idea too much because I was afraid of something like this. So this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear - whether it's realistic or not. Good to know now that it isn't. Thank you for that. 

As for deeding various towns, I was under the assumption that I can only have 1 deed though. That's why I deeded the entire server. Or am I able as a GM to have many? *scratches head*

35 minutes ago, bdew said:

Shouldn't be too hard. I'll take a stab at it when i get some free time.

Oh thank you! I tried to dig around in the database files to find something about it, but didn't manage to find anything.

9 minutes ago, Malena said:

As for deeding various towns, I was under the assumption that I can only have 1 deed though. That's why I deeded the entire server. Or am I able as a GM to have many? *scratches head*

You can just make multiple GM characters and let each one of them hold a deed. Make a new character with a different name and either give them GM powers via the server launcher window or ingame (i think it's called "manage player powers" in the wand).

I have like 8 different GM accounts in my cluster (4 connected servers) for holding various "official" deeds.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 0:50 AM, Malena said:

So i have discovered that shrinking the threshold on server borders would be an enormous bytecode-editing pain in the rear side. Instead i just disabled the "You see dark shadows...", "An enourmous shark..." and "If you keep going in this direction..." messages.

https://github.com/bdew-wurm/noborderalert/releases/tag/v1.0

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bdew said:

So i have discovered that shrinking the threshold on server borders would be an enormous bytecode-editing pain in the rear side. Instead i just disabled the "You see dark shadows...", "An enourmous shark..." and "If you keep going in this direction..." messages.

https://github.com/bdew-wurm/noborderalert/releases/tag/v1.0

Yayyyyyyyy it works! Thank you so much. Bdew to the rescue! And this is perfect, it was only the popup that was ever bothering me. And would I be right in assuming that if someone visits the server, any mods will impact them as well? That it's only replaced textures etc that they won't see (unless they replace them)? Also, is there any way to tell what is a server mod and what is a client mod? This time of course, I knew this would be for the server, but was just wondering if it's up to just using plain common sense or whether there is some certain way to see this. 

And as for multiple GM characters, right! I had no idea I could make more than one! If I were to do it that way, this server would probably end up needing at least 50 GMs then, as there will not only be cities but also dungeons, points of interest etc. Well, I'll have to think about how to handle this.

8 hours ago, Malena said:

And would I be right in assuming that if someone visits the server, any mods will impact them as well? That it's only replaced textures etc that they won't see (unless they replace them)?

Yep.

8 hours ago, Malena said:

Also, is there any way to tell what is a server mod and what is a client mod? This time of course, I knew this would be for the server, but was just wondering if it's up to just using plain common sense or whether there is some certain way to see this. 

Not easily, mostly common sense and comments from the author. Pretty much every mod thread on the forum clearly states what side it runs on. And if you get it wrong it will complain very loudly in the logs :P

Technically you can look at the actual class file of the mod to see but you would need a decompiler and some level of programming knowledge.

My mind is blown.  I'm in love with this project.  It would be so awesome playing a UO map in Wurm.  It would be so weirdly nostalgic knowing where everything is and yet experiencing it all new!

• Like 1

Good lord, talk about a trip in the WAYBACK machine...  This is an amazing project and cant wish you enough good luck and love on your endeavor!

• Like 1

Aww, tugged at the strings of me heart, those comments did @JackBinimbuland @Andrexea! 

It's been a while since I've worked on this project because I was having some bad luck IRL. First my computer broke and during the weeks I was trying all sorts of things to fix it, I then got a nasty infection that had me bedridden and taking two different antibiotics, one in IV form and the other orally. So I wasn't really properly up on my feet until a month after that, and then back to trying to fix the computer. Eventually had to take it to a repair shop and decided to upgrade my graphics card while I was at it. Once I got (what I like to call) "my precious" back, I was of course super curious to see how all my old games looked with the new graphics card and got distracted for a while playing GTA San Andreas among other things. Also been working on my deed in Wurm, since Wurm Online had not been getting any loving from me for the entire time I was working on this project. Right now I'm constructing a pylon in Wurm Online, and once that's done I'll get back to continuing this. I also noticed that Richard Garriott subscribed to my YouTube channel, and I'm guessing it is to follow this project, so that gives additional incentive to get back to work haha!

• Like 2

Back working on the project and busy as a bee building the icy Dagger isle and creating a dungeon for the first time! In this case, Dungeon Deceit. This has definitely been one of the more challenging cases since the dungeon is inside the mountain, however in UO, the dungeon when mapped out against the environment, overlaps the boundaries of the mountain. The maps are separated, which allows them to do that. So in a way, I guess you could say that the way Dungeon Deceit is mapped out, it would not be realistically even possible since it would expand out of the outer bounds of the mountain wall. So I've had to do some very careful calculations and some compromises to make this work in Wurm, since it's all one seamless world, even the tunnels. In the end, I found a satisfactory solution and it's all working beautifully now. 

That aside, I stumbled upon something very interesting. As I was decorating the dungeon, there was a little spot that required a bed roll. Well Wurm doesn't have bed rolls as far as I know? But what I did manage to find from the create menu, was a "straw bed". This worked perfectly for this purpose, and it even has the going to sleep menu integrated as well. So was wondering if anyone knows about this, and whether this will be an "official" wurm item in the future? There was no mention of it in Wurmpedia. I would love it if we could have this. It would be perfect to decorate stables with as well, to simulate hay stacks. @RetrogradeWould you happen to know about this?

strawbed.jpg

• Like 2

So friends, a kind soul sent me a private message about the straw bed. Apparently it's....

Spoiler

a piece used in the wagoneer which is only used in the Wurm Online version.

So no, it's not anything we can decorate with, unfortunately. 

Anyhoo! Here's my latest problem: On Dagger Isle I have this big huge chunk of mountain that I had to completely level so that I could get a dungeon inside and had to create high enough bedrock for that.  

mountainblock.jpg

And currently I'm busy digging away at the dirt to make it look like a mountain again...

mountainsculpted.jpg

See all those bulk storage bins to the lower right? It's what I've been using to "destroy" the accumulated dirt with. 

And that is exactly would I'd love some advice for. What is the best way to dispose of tens of thousands of dirt in your backpack? At first I was using a keybind to just directly spam destroy in my backpack, but that takes foreeeeeeeeeeveeeeer. And dumping tens of thousands anywhere, makes the game crash. 

So what I'm doing now is creating bulk storage bins and moving 100 dirt at a time (the max amount you can transfer now apparently) until the bin reaches maximum capacity (853 dirt), then destroy the bin. 

But this is also taking foreeeever. Any ideas?

Ugh. First of all in the future you can set your wand's aux or data1 to 1 (sorry i don't remember which one) and it will not produce dirt when digging. But that doesn't help you retroactively.

About the existing dirt, if you are ok with some database editing...

0. shutdown server and backup everything

1. get sqlite browser and run it

2. open yourserverfolder/sqlite/wurmitems.db

3. go to execute sql tab

4. paste this: delete from ITEMS where TEMPLATEID=26;

5. press run button

6. it will say something like "Query executed successfully: delete from ITEMS where TEMPLATEID=26; (took XXXms, XXXXX rows affected)" in the bottom window.

7. click write changes button

This will remove all the dirt piles from the server (including in your inventory, on the ground, etc. but not in BSBs or crates).

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bdew said:

Ugh. First of all in the future you can set your wand's aux or data1 to 1 (sorry i don't remember which one) and it will not produce dirt when digging. But that doesn't help you retroactively.

Bdew to the rescue once again! <3 

Well I've already dug and emptied maaaaaaaaaaany times. Just got through emptying my inventory of 30 000 dirt the hard way haha! So this aux data thing is all I need, thank you sooooooooooo muuuuuch! 

Ok before submitting the reply, I of course went to test it out. None of the following worked: Setting:

Auxdata: 1

Auxadata: 0

Data1: 1

Data1: 0

Data2: 1

Data2: 0

All of the above: 0

All of the above: 1

Hmmm... And it is the Ebony wand we're talking about, right?

Edited by Malena

Oops you're right it doesn't work with manual digging. i could have sworn it used to but i checked right now and it doesn't, so either i'm crazy or it was changed at some point.

Leveling with auxdata=1 still does that (not produce/consume dirt), but manually digging seems to ignore it.