Sign in to follow this  
Malena

My new project: "Ultima Nostalgia" server based on UO map

12 hours ago, bdew said:

Lawn is non-graze-able. Only grass, steppe and fields can be grazed down.

Added: And by the way about horses not following GMs... by default you are invisible so it can't follow you (wogic :P), if you go out of invisibility (#invis) you should be able to lead animals.

Thanks bdew :). Well the lawn thing is certainly a relief to hear! See the reason I was suspecting that animals can graze those tiles is because: as you can see earlier in the video, I pretty much mark every single tile with either green lawn or the reddish brown pottery tiles. And yet, even during this video, you can see me encountering several packed dirt tiles (the dark brown ones) which really were not supposed to be there. I might have to do some further tests in a fenced in area. 

Malena... wow, just wow... You are a goddess.  Just amazing work. 

I registered here just to tip my hat to you. 

I've been struggling this past week with going back to UO and I just can't bring myself to do it... So I have been looking for an alternative and Wurm seems like "it" for me.  My wife and I are probably going to play the offline version for the time being because that's just our preference...  Hopefully we can mod it with some stuff we particularly enjoyed that UO had...

The question I have for you, in this amazing endeavor you have undertaken is, can you mod in your own 3d models?  My wife and I were watching your videos and wondered if that was possible, because that would just be the icing on the cake. 

At any rate, keep it up, the work you are doing is fantastic and the videos have kept us interested for the past few hours.  Looking forward to more.

~C~

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carlos_ar said:

The question I have for you, in this amazing endeavor you have undertaken is, can you mod in your own 3d models? 

Yes wurm can load custom models in DAE format, and it's not even that hard to get them in game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carlos_ar said:

I've been struggling this past week with going back to UO and I just can't bring myself to do it... So I have been looking for an alternative and Wurm seems like "it" for me.  My wife and I are probably going to play the offline version for the time being because that's just our preference...  Hopefully we can mod it with some stuff we particularly enjoyed that UO had..

Warm greetings to the both of you! *waves* 

First of all, thank you so much for the kind words and effort to register to the forum just to express them. I'm humbled and honored. *curtsies*

You folks are exactly the kind of people I was hoping to reach with this project: Fellow Ultima Online fans who just can't bring themselves to play UO anymore, but then look around and fail to see any game that delivers even half the experience that UO offered us back in the day. 

Now before you guys invest in Wurm Unlimited, I'd just like to point out that there are two Wurms. Wurm Online, which is the original version of the game and is a fully functioning MMO. It has a great (albeit small) community. Unlike UO shards which are identical copies of one another, in Wurm Online, the servers have different maps - and what's best: to go and visit other servers, simply hop on your ship and sail over the server border. Isn't that fantastic? I often go out scouting to other servers for "IDOCs", houses in danger of collapsing or that have already collapsed, gather up all the loot into my ship's hold and haul it back to place. In Wurm Online however, you cannot mod or change anything about it, which is good I think, as then it's a even and identical playing field for all. 

Wurm Unlimited is a more recent edition of the game and not really a MMO, but a standalone version that you can either play privately or publicly, having people come to live on your server if you so wish. But this of course opens up a whole new can of wurms ;-D. So although it is absolutely amazing to be able to mod, the downside is that you're either stuck playing alone or with a small assortment of friends, or else opening up your server to others who you will have to moderate, cater to, and it starts to become people management. Where as in Wurm Online, you can experience the game free of such responsibilities and as an equal among other players, like any other MMO, full with the possibility to explore vast lands, bump into many communities and people etc. 

If someone were to ask me which version they should start out on, I would warmly recommend starting with Wurm Online. Not only is it free, but it is so much more simple to get into, even from the technical side. Then you can get an idea of whether the game would work for you, and once you get a handle on things, then go to wurm unlimited and get creative. Trying to think back to when I first started Wurm, had it been unlimited - I doubt I would have played very long and would have been pretty overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who start wurm unlimited, choose a server and don't fully comprehend the fact that those servers are not "mmo servers run by the company" but in fact player run servers, where whoever runs them, has full control over your experience and the time and investment you put into it. In Wurm Online however, your investment is completely safe, as no-one is going to delete your character, suddenly change the balance of the game, shut down the server etc. 

That said, if you guys are very proficient tech-wise and the technical barriers do not phase you and if your primary interest is modding, only then can I recommend jumping right into wurm unlimited. 

Whichever direction you decide to go, the best of luck with your new adventures, and welcome to this amazing wurm community! As you'll soon learn, it's the bestest! 

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, bdew said:

Yes wurm can load custom models in DAE format, and it's not even that hard to get them in game.

Oooooh really!!? The only DAE model I have changed so far in Ultima Nostalgia is copying the large carpet model to the middle sized carpet so then I could have 2 large carpets. I eventually figured out that I could open the Carpet2.wom file in the text editor and set which dds texture it should use as well. I was so proud of myself haha!

But trying to make custom models to work for Ultima would be pretty interesting to try to do! I do have basic 3d modeling skills and the modeling/texturing/unwrapping part would not be a problem, however I have no idea how those would be put into the game so the game recognises them as assets. I'm guessing the mesh needs specific export settings etc. Do you know if there is a guide here somewhere on the forums for the whole process?

I'm pretty clueless about 3d modelling myself but it shouldn't be too hard. you just need to export your model as DAE then throw it in graphics.jar and change mappings.txt to point to it.

Say if you want to replace a fountain you make myfountain.dae then find this line in mappings.txt

model.decoration.fountain = structures/Fountains/Fountain.wom

and change it to 

model.decoration.fountain = mymodels/myfountain.dae

Scaling, orientation, etc. might require some trial and error to get right.

If you want to add new items (rather than replacing the models of existing items) that will require some actual coding but again shouldn't be super hard for someone with minimal programming knowledge.

WOM (the format that most vanilla models come in) is a separate proprietary thing, and i don't know of any available authoring/conversion tools for it.

Edit: Oh yeah and if you change graphics.jar - it will be replaced when WU updates the next time. So keep a copy of your changes elsewhere. You can also install the serverpacks mod that comes with the modloader. You'll need to have it on both the client and the server, but with it you can have a separate .jar file with all your art assets that gets automatically downloaded from the server to the client when you login.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

Malena, Something else you might be interested in to add to your servers are "live" animated models of the various dragon types, kyclops and forest giant. Ausimus has these "trophies" on his WU server Calysto, which are player created from the corpses of these Uniques. They are exact models of the real things. Also there are "living" animated models of the player gods too, which are player created. I am not sure about his policy on releasing the code to others but if interested you might contact him. They are pretty impressive to see on some players deeds there, as well as "trophy" living unicorns too, which can be created the same way as the Uniques.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdew said:

I'm pretty clueless about 3d modelling myself but it shouldn't be too hard. you just need to export your model as DAE then throw it in graphics.jar and change mappings.txt to point to it.

Say if you want to replace a fountain you make myfountain.dae then find this line in mappings.txt

model.decoration.fountain = structures/Fountains/Fountain.wom

and change it to 

model.decoration.fountain = mymodels/myfountain.dae

Scaling, orientation, etc. might require some trial and error to get right.

If you want to add new items (rather than replacing the models of existing items) that will require some actual coding but again shouldn't be super hard for someone with minimal programming knowledge.

WOM (the format that most vanilla models come in) is a separate proprietary thing, and i don't know of any available authoring/conversion tools for it.

Edit: Oh yeah and if you change graphics.jar - it will be replaced when WU updates the next time. So keep a copy of your changes elsewhere. You can also install the serverpacks mod that comes with the modloader. You'll need to have it on both the client and the server, but with it you can have a separate .jar file with all your art assets that gets automatically downloaded from the server to the client when you login.

Thanks for the info bdew! I'll definitely have to give that a try at some point. 

As for the graphics.jar, I had noticed that indeed there is a mod for that, but I couldn't figure out how to use it, so up till now I've just kept my custom textures in their own separate folder and opened up the updated jars and replaced the assets by hand. At first it was an easy thing to do, but the more textures I replace (which I really try to keep to a minimum), the more work it is to do. I'll have to give it another look some time.

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

Malena, Something else you might be interested in to add to your servers are "live" animated models of the various dragon types, kyclops and forest giant. Ausimus has these "trophies" on his WU server Calysto, which are player created from the corpses of these Uniques. They are exact models of the real things. Also there are "living" animated models of the player gods too, which are player created. I am not sure about his policy on releasing the code to others but if interested you might contact him. They are pretty impressive to see on some players deeds there, as well as "trophy" living unicorns too, which can be created the same way as the Uniques.

=Ayes=

Hey Ayes :). Oh that sounds fascinating, I didn't know that was possible. 

Speaking of dragons, I think the most beautiful dragon I've ever seen, is the UO dragon. It's anatomy is just so perfect. Now with this 3d info, I'm tempted to try and model it based on the UO one, and replace the files of the Wurm dragon with this. 

three_dragons.jpg

Also, the size compared to a human is much more along the lines of how I see a dragon should be. I feel the Wurm dragons are too small and not scary enough. The dragon below could crush a human head with one foot. 

vmm_dungeons_01.jpg

vmm_dungeons_02.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malena said:

Speaking of dragons, I think the most beautiful dragon I've ever seen, is the UO dragon. It's anatomy is just so perfect. Now with this 3d info, I'm tempted to try and model it based on the UO one, and replace the files of the Wurm dragon with this. 

Yes! Those UO red dragons were quite the enjoyable pet to have as a Tamer. Of course this also points out how the taming ability in WO is pretty useless in comparison, especially with taming being so difficult to raise in WO. Those were the days...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 6:47 PM, Ayes said:

Yes! Those UO red dragons were quite the enjoyable pet to have as a Tamer. Of course this also points out how the taming ability in WO is pretty useless in comparison, especially with taming being so difficult to raise in WO. Those were the days...

=Ayes=

They were so much fun! I loved how they seemed to almost have a personality. Proud, defiant, dangerous and hard to handle, but with enough animal lore and taming, so devoted and protective of you as their master. Perhaps their visual design contributed to that as well, how they held their heads up high and their wings poised and up in the air. Gosh being a tamer was soooo much fun, it was definitely my favorite thing to do in UO "skill wise". And how wonderful it would be if Wurm had something like that. In UO, becoming a tamer was my main goal, where as in Wurm, I've hardly touched it.

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

A question about portals/stones, actually many questions. So I'm in the process of building Trinsic right now, and there is a portal sitting on it which gives the texts of entering and leaving the area it's named after... I have so many questions since I don't know anything about these portals/stones.

If there is info or a tutorial or instructions on what these are and what you can do with them, please share (and in that case feel free to ignore my newbie questions below). But if there is no info available, can someone tell me...

1. Do these have anything to do with the portals being discussed on the wiki portals page? Or is the wiki only talking about the arched type of portals like the epic portals?
  2. Are these stones even called "portals" to begin with? Or are they called "stones" or what. I just need to know the correct term to google with to find more information. The reason I called it a portal was because when you right click on the stone with an ebony wand, it says model.structure.portal
  3. If they are in fact portals, can they be used to teleport from place to place in?
  4. If they are not portals, what are they used for? Or are they spawning points? So if a player dies, are they able to choose one of these stones to resurrect to?
  5. Can I safely destroy the stone/portal? Or is it stuck forever in Trinsic?
  6. And if I can, what is the correct way to do it. In the game or do I need to edit the database?
  7. Can I safely rename it to Trinsic?
  8. Can I safely push and pull it around?
  9. Can I create/spawn such stones for all my cities, which would be cool because then you could get that green text of entering a city. 

Speaking of teleporting, when I was trying to find out about this stuff, I stumbled across Lord Dan's mission ruler tutorials showing how to make teleporting tiles. So cool! So that would be a way I guess for me to emulate the moonstone teleport stones of UO. 

portal.jpg

Edited by Malena

You need to delete it in the database, that will get rid of the stone and the "you enter the west lake area"

We "think" it is in the Zones part, but was months ago we did it.

It is quite fine to do so, but as always, when editing the database, back up first :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

Yes you can create focus zones so that when you enter the city of trinsic, it will say, you enter the city of trinsic.

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!! Well I was able to find the spot in the database and successfully modified the old focus zone to be called Trinsic and adjusted the coordinates. Yay!!!

After I logged in, I expected the stone/portal to be named accordingly, but it still had the old name, so apparently it is a completely different entity. I decided to just try to destroy it with the ebony wand (it could be pushed and moved around btw!). Then I logged off and logged back on to make sure everything is ok, and all seemed to be fine. 

trinsic_focus.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the zones and the portals aren't really connected. You can destroy the stone with the gm wand ingame if you want. You can also add/delete zones and name them however you wish to get that "You enter whatever" message.

The stones in vanilla act as respawn points, since the "creative" template map doesn't have a starter town, you instead respawn at those stones, they aren't portals.

There is a mod (by Xype iirc) that adds portals that you can set their destination with a gm wand.

• Like 1

I get a bit more caught up in life, I think a better solution for this would be a custom mod for this project. It wont be the blue egg moongate but use the steel portals with the big glowing ball, make them teleport you to a random different one when you use it

It won't be complete without a naked theif standing beside each one though :P

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

Wasn't there at some point in ultima history an algorithm based on moon phases or something crazy like that... that set where each moongate goes? Not sure if it was in UO or the singleplayer games...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bdew said:

Yes the zones and the portals aren't really connected. You can destroy the stone with the gm wand ingame if you want. You can also add/delete zones and name them however you wish to get that "You enter whatever" message.

The stones in vanilla act as respawn points, since the "creative" template map doesn't have a starter town, you instead respawn at those stones, they aren't portals.

There is a mod (by Xype iirc) that adds portals that you can set their destination with a gm wand.

Thanks. Just to clarify and make sure I understood: so if a character were to die, they'd respawn at one of those stones. And would they get a dialog like we get in Wurm Online, and instead of offering a list of starter cities to res in, it would offer a list of stones? The dream would be to create a stone at each healer building of each city and name the Stone of Soulfall according. "Healer of Britain", "Healer of Trinsic" etc. Oh and what happens if I make the mistake of destroying all of those stones? Would people not be able to resurrect at all upon dying? 

18 hours ago, Xyp said:

I get a bit more caught up in life, I think a better solution for this would be a custom mod for this project. It wont be the blue egg moongate but use the steel portals with the big glowing ball, make them teleport you to a random different one when you use it

It won't be complete without a naked theif standing beside each one though :P

Hehe that's a cool idea. Hmmm I'm not sure how moongates worked in the single player Ultimas, but if I remember correctly, in Ultima Online, you'd get a choice of cities you want to travel to (versus ending up at a random location). So for now, what I'll probably do is make some sort of system like the portal hop Lord Dan has made which looks pretty cool since you can just walk right onto the tile and BOOM! Also have some arches and signs describing what city they take you to. Dunno, will have to see. But moongates are an essential part of UO so it would be nice to have something at least!

Just finished laying out the "floor plan" of Trinsic, setting the heights of the ground, adding bridges and terraforming the canals. Next comes the buildings!

trinsic.jpg

At least before EA ruined UO sad times qq... Moongates were random, but had gravity based on the moon phase. IIRC it was every 5 minutes the gates would shift to a random other gate, however the random code was manipulated by moon phases to make it even harder to predict, and sometimes annoying haha. There was always a naked thief there trying to steal your goodies, before the trammel days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xyp said:

At least before EA ruined UO sad times qq... Moongates were random, but had gravity based on the moon phase. IIRC it was every 5 minutes the gates would shift to a random other gate, however the random code was manipulated by moon phases to make it even harder to predict, and sometimes annoying haha. There was always a naked thief there trying to steal your goodies, before the trammel days.

Oooohhh now that you describe that, it's coming back to me. True, that does sound familiar! 

SANDSTONE PARAPETS! 

As many of you know, Trinsic is a city with tons and tons of sandstone parapets lining the canals and walkways:

sandstone-parapet-uo.jpg

The only problem is that we don't have sandstone parapets in the game (yet), much to the disappointment of many of our players, myself included. I've seen some discussion about this and vaguely remember there being a logical reason for it, but can't remember now what the issue was.

So, with a wistful sigh...  I accepted my fate and started lining the city with sandstone fences instead. 

But the city was not looking very nice. And I suddenly remembered the trick I had done with the large carpet, copying it's 3d file and renaming it with the name of the medium sized carpet, then going in to the .wom file with a text editor and changing the texture it should be fetching. 

So I thought... what if I take the wooden parapet, and replace it with the mesh of the stone parapet, then change the texture name to sandstone.dds. Would it work? And TADAAA!!!!!!!

sandstone-parapet.jpg

So while this does not help Wurm Online players, at least Wurm Unlimited folks can do the same trick if they badly want to have sandstone (or other material) parapets. If folks want the step by step instructions how I did this, just let me know and I'll post them here. 

Edit: Oh it looks like they are being worked on. How on earth did I miss this before? GREAT NEWS!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2

Well a little birdy told me they are working on those sandstone fence thingies, just it is challenging.

• Like 1

This time we rebuild one of Ultima Online's secret places, "The Hidden Valley".

• Like 1