header.png

And we're live with the new housing update!
I know everyone's busy hunting sandstone and making bricks (red brick for me!) so this week will be a short recap before the Easter long weekend, but first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Changes and additions:

• New method for getting rid of unwanted hedges:
    • Hedges can now be cut down similar to trees and bushes with a cut down action or the CUT_DOWN keybind.
    • Destroying hedges on deed is tied to the “destroy fences” permission.
  • Dredging additions and changes:
    • You can now flatten and level with a dredge.
    • You must not be embarked when using flatten or level.
    • When dredging from a boat, the dirt/sand/clay will go directly into the hold if there is room. (You must have room in the dredge for this to happen).
  • The spawning of Valrei mobs has changed so that they spawn spread out across the server instead of in groups of 10.
  • Keybind MILK added.
  • Underground housing will now be enabled on PvP servers.
  • Happy Easter! Hot cross buns have been added as a recipe, you’ll have to find out how to make it yourself though!

New housing addition

• SANDSTONE INTRODUCED:
    • Will act like marble or slate vein.
    • Will spawn randomly out of rock tiles across the server.
    • Can be created with a transmutation rod.
  • NEW ITEMS:
    • Sandstone bricks (Sandstone shard + chisel).
    • Sandstone slabs (Sandstone shard + chisel).
    • Slate bricks (Slate shard + chisel).
    • Slate slabs (Slate shard + chisel).
    • Round stones (Rock shard + chisel).
  • CHANGED ITEMS:
    • Slate slabs now are created with 88kgs of slate shards and a chisel.
    • Pottery bricks now require 5kgs of clay instead of 15.
    • Pottery brick floors will have new textures.
    • Stone slab house floors will have new texture.
    • House stone slabs will be changing to sandstone slab flooring to retain the same texture (if this is not immediate it will be addressed).
    • Round cobble roads are now paved with round stones.
    • Rough cobble roads are now paved with colossus bricks.
  • NEW WALL TYPES:
    • Left arch.
    • T arch.
    • Right arch.
  • NEW WALL TEXTURES:
    • Rendered wall – Plain stone wall + 20kgs of clay
    • Sandstone wall – 20 sandstone bricks and 20 mortar.
    • Pottery brick wall – 20 pottery bricks and 20 mortar.
    • Slate wall – 20 slate bricks and 20 mortar.
    • Rounded stone wall – 20 round stones and 20 mortar.
    • marble wall – 20 marble bricks and 20 mortar.
  • NEW PAVEMENT TYPES:
    • Sandstone slab pavement.
    • Sandstone brick pavement.
    • Slate slab pavement.
    • Slate brick pavement (existing slate slab pavement will become slate brick pavement).
    • Marble brick pavement.
    • Pottery brick pavement.
  • NEW FENCE TYPES:
    • Pottery brick fence.
    • Pottery brick iron fence.
    • Pottery brick iron fence gate.
    • Sandstone fence.
    • Sandstone iron fence.
    • Sandstone iron fence gate.
    • Marble fence.
    • Marble iron fence.
    • Marble iron fence gate.
    • Rendered fence.
    • Rendered iron fence.
    • Rendered iron fence gate.
    • Slate fence.
    • Slate iron fence.
    • Slate iron fence gate.
    • Round stone fence.
    • Round stone iron fence.
    • Round stone iron fence gate.

Siege weapon changes:

• CATAPULTS AND TREBUCHETS:
    • New algorithm now used for Catapults/Trebuchet projectiles that properly takes into account starting power, gravity and firing angle of the siege weapon:
    • Starting power determined by number of winches for catapult, and loaded amount for trebuchet – power directly relates to starting velocity (so 20 winches is 20m/s).
    • Arc of the projectile is checked along it for any walls, floors, bridges or fences it hits, otherwise it will travel the full arc until it hits the ground.
    • Anything within a small radius of the landing position will take damage, radius depends on the size of the thrown projectile.
    • Weight, quality, and final velocity of the projectile all add into how much damage it deals to the things it lands on – metal and stone projectiles do the most damage.
    • Projectiles still have a maximum of 20 damage per shot.
    • Added new actions to catapults and trebuchets to allow changing of the firing angle.
    • Firing angle defaults to 45 degrees, can be changed to be between 5 and 85 degrees.
    • Added messages when winching and changing the firing angle of a catapult or trebuchet that will give an approximate firing distance of the projectile.
    • Action time for winching now takes skill into account, will be 33% faster at 100 skill.
    • Projectile landing messages now give a full breakdown of everything they hit, and how many of each thing – as well as naming which structure(s) received damage.
  • BATTERING RAMS ADDED:
    • Minimum 21 body strength to use it.
    • Uses the War Machines skill for skill checks – action time is 33% faster at 100 skill with a base timer of 30 seconds.
    • Checks a short area in front of the ram for anything to hit, first thing it hits will take damage. Area should be closely lined up with the model.
    • Can only be used by one person at any time, user must be quite close to be able to use it.
    • Damage dealt increased by the ram quality and the skill check result.
    • Ram does double damage to walls underground.
    • Citizen or ally with destroy wall permissions will deal bonus damage.
    • Cannot be used on steep slopes.
  • ARCHERY TOWER AND MAGIC TURRET CHANGES:
    • Turrets and archery towers now have increased range based on their quality – up to 5x their base range at 100ql.
    • Turrets and archery towers will now shoot faster based on quality – up to 33% faster at 100ql.
    • Turrets that fail to fire anything when they have a chance to will now do a firing animation without sending out a projectile.
    • Changed the projectile starting positions of turrets and archery towers to line up with their models – This should allow them to fire from anywhere they have proper line of sight to a target.
  • Added a 3x bonus to damage when bashing arched walls manually.

Bug Fixes

• Bug fix: Fix for negative quality rift resources as participation reward.
  • Bug fix: Fix to prevent most unique creatures from spawning inside a deed.
    • The green, blue, black, and white dragon types use a different spawn mechanic and may still spawn in a village.
  • Bug fix: Christmas trees and snowmen were removed from the mission items lists.
  • Bug fix: Fix for offline tamed/charmed pets sometimes not logging back online with their owner.
  • Bug fix: Addressed a few spelling and text errors.
  • Bug fix: Hot stills can now be picked up from the ground if empty.
  • Bug fix: You can now properly use the /join village command even if the village which recruited you has more than one word in its name.
  • Bug fix: Some recipe fixes:
    • Eggnog can no longer use itself to make more eggnog.
    • Sausage skins can no longer be nested inside each other.
  • Bug fix: Improved checks to allow pushing items from a house floor onto a bridge and from a bridge onto a house floor.
  • Bug fix: Improved bridge checks, if a bridge is destroyed or decays, planted items on that bridge should no longer give the error message ‘You need to be on the same bridge’ when interacting with them.
  • Bug fix: Addressed infrequent issue in which roof and floor damage exceeded 100.
  • Bug fix: Fixed dual faith issues between Chaos and Freedom PvE servers.
    • Leaving Libila on Chaos and joining no other deity will now properly set you to no deity when crossing back to Freedom servers.
  • Bug fix: Deity colossi can now be destroyed by owner and/or mayor on a deed.

KNOWN ISSUES

• Deed export system is not currently configured for new pavement and house types. Will be addressed in the coming updates.

Housing update
Naturally the big part of this update is the huge expansion to house types, and I'm excited to see just what you all come up with now, I know that there are other desired wall types and fences and we'll keep this in mind as we move forward.

We're always expanding and addressing limitations as we meet them and this is no different. We will undoubtedly continue to provide more options as time goes on, just plenty else to work on as well while we do.

Easter
We're nearing the eve of the anniversary of the horrific bunny massacre of 2016, and I'd like to take the moment to wish you all a happy and safe Easter, don't party too hard on the chocolate eggs!

Hot Cross buns!
We've also released a new recipe for hot cross buns to celebrate Easter! Hot cross buns are my favourite part about Easter, and I think it's pretty cool to see some more holiday themed recipes come in, we may just do more later...

WU Beta

With the launch of the housing update, we'll begin looking at a WU beta to come out in the next week or two with the update, there's a few changes to things that may need some modders to check in the beta but it shouldn't last long before going live.

Community Contest winner!
There were quite a few good entries, and it came close to some (Who doesnt love Star Wars references?) but the winner of this contest is MacOofer with the following:

caption.png

Fred: so let me get this straight....THIS is our Trojan horse for chaos??? You really expect me to go in there and stick my arm out his head to replace the missing horn??
Tom: Actually you have to get in there naked.. I won't look, I promise!

To claim your prize, shoot me a PM MacOofer!

The amount of people who took the time to add their ideas was awesome, will definitely have to repeat this in the future!

There's a lot more already being worked on, and I'm keen to begin sharing it with you all in preparation for its launch, but that may be a few weeks away still.

I'll be back next week with more news and showing off just what we've been up to on our side, but until then week, keep on Wurming!
Happy Easter,
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 15

Oh reminds me... the turret skill going to get a use, or removing it?

Congrats M!

Thanks team for all the stuff added to game, another hook in my skin enslaving to this world...

Happy birthday R.... 

Thanks for all the lovely new building and paving options, I'm going to be having a blast!

Also - happy birthday@RetrogradeB)

(and lol at the post tags) 

Woot!  tnx :)  Tried to pm you, but you werent online :)

And happy b-day ofcourse!!

Hey, I missed that! And I even asked you once Retro, anyways Happy B-day!

Have a Happy Birthday and a good Easter!

other links broke. has to manually find this section :) Happy Easter All.

Edited by Vortexxx

Congrats MacOofer - very funny indeed - well done.

Happy birthday Retrograde.

Nice update - look forward to finding some sandstone and trying out some of the new bits, particularly the fence gates, which were somewhat limited in the past.

new pavements new walls...  but no NEW roofs? :S  come on

I have to say, i keep deciding not to then looking at it again.
the pottery brick floor upgrade texture looks fantastic. 3 times better than the last. lovely stuff, ty.

Edited by Steveleeb

1 hour ago, Steveleeb said:

I have to say, i keep deciding not to then looking at it again.
the pottery brick floor upgrade texture looks fantastic. 3 times better than the last. lovely stuff, ty.

I do like the new pottery floors as well. Are the old pottery floors still availabe or are they completely replaced by the new pottery floors?

Edited by McGarnicle
Grammar