Sign in to follow this  
Romefire

Trouble downloading

Hello, I recently noticed this game recently, and wanted to try it. When I hit the play button on the website, it does a jnlp file in my downloads. I have not yet found a program that can make that run, any ideas?

you need java..

Edit: There is an orange thing on the top right of the main website that you can click that or just google java. 

Edited by Kegan

No idea then if you have java installed you should be able to click the file that was downloaded and run the game. 

If you've installed Java it should have the jnlp file associated with it, you want to run it by double clicking, not open it.

If you try to run the jnlp file and get the "pick what to run this with", navigate to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\javaws.exe and use that.

I try double clicking it in the download folder, and it asks if I want to open or save, which opening brings it back to the open or save option, and save just seems to indicate it saved it. Same thing happens in the downloads folder it saves it to.

Can you check what version of java you have installed? This can be found by going to the control panel and double clicking on  java, then the java tab and view button

It sounds like Java isnt telling your pc it can handle those files, so your pc doesnt know what to do. Let us know what y9ou see when you open the view option

Problem is in your browser handling the jnlp file correctly and not asking you if you want to run it... offering only the download option..

you could make a shortcut on your desktop with something like this 

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaws.exe" -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

or this(the extras above are supposed to help it run smoother)

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaws.exe" http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

place one or the other line in 'target' field

just get your path(start-in field) to javaws.exe right, and it will run as long you have (~latest)java installed

c65dfcd930684aedb2ea8e808e63e0f6.png

• Like 1

When I was looking for the target field for it to run in, I found what Retrograd meant "If you try to run the jnlp file and get the "pick what to run this with", navigate to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\javaws.exe and use that."

That seems to have got it running, thank goodness.

• Like 1