Sign in to follow this  
Alendhor

Paved rock tiles

I'm sure this is just a minor pet peeve of mine, and it really doesn't add to/detract from game play, but I have a suggestion for a new paving surface. I'd like to be able to pave tiles, on the sides of mountains, for instance, and have them actually look like rock tiles. The current options don't allow us to make a natural looking rock surface on hillsides. Using stone slabs to pave next to rock tiles just looks terrible, and gravel or very steep grass slopes aren't much better. For example, I surface mined a path up the side of a mountain, but had to lay down dirt to pave it, which consequently created very steep slopes down on one side. I planted trees on the slopes in an attempt to make it look natural, and it does look pretty good, but it would look so much better if I were able to pave the lower slopes like rock tiles, so it actually looks like a path up a mountain. Just a thought.

Alendhor

Aven Linuath, Newspring, Xanadu

I +1 the natural rock looking pavement, would improve the look of quite a lot of castle designs on top of raised mountainsides.

Sidenote: as a workaround you can leave the path as rock, waling speed on rockface is the same as on paved roads.

I would agree to your suggestion if it were simply changed to being able to pave rock tiles with any type of the various pavements. No new pavement types or requirements necessary. As is rock tiles require dirt on them to be paved so just remove the dirt requirement and there ya go.

Now that I think about it a bit more, players might then pave whole mountainsides with crazy pavements turning them into severe monuments to ugliness. So yea, I guess it is best to just keep things as they are in this respect.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

All I'm really suggesting is that we have a new craftable item for paving called a "rock slab", that actually looks like  a rock tile when used to cover dirt on hills and mountains.

I get the feeling this would lead to a lot of confusion about exposed rock

• Like 2

google/images your idea and post some of the images that are close you what you'd imagine to see in the game :huh: (could help)

On 4/17/2017 at 2:33 PM, Finnn said:

google/images your idea and post some of the images that are close you what you'd imagine to see in the game :huh: (could help)

you need google images to see what rock looks like ingame?

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Retrograde said:

I get the feeling this would lead to a lot of confusion about exposed rock

I suppose that would depend completely on how it is used. Used in construction areas it would look really nice. Of course, just paving random areas to make them look like rock could be confusing. There's a large mountain pass that was refinished by Ostentatio on Newspring Island (New Sealand) on Xanadu in the SW corner of R10 which is very nicely finished, but all the dirt areas are, out of necessity, paved with stone slab which, in my opinion of course, looks terrible. It would look so much nicer if all those stone slabs looked like the surrounding rock. (I'll get a screenshot of it and post it when I get a chance.

Okay, so here are links to images of the mountain pass and highway I mentioned. It's pretty easy to distinguish the stone slab areas from the rock tiles. Imagine how it would look if all the stone slab areas looked just like rock tiles (sorry, I'm not an artist at all, so I don't know how to actually make the pictures look that way).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd4hr2atvju2i1p/MtPass1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr1ami68mxcl472/MtPass2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mixvgs8urmfxa3o/MtPass3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdab7yztee2mgf1/MtPass4.jpg?dl=0

Sorry about the links, I couldn't figure out how to attach the images.