Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Default "Guards!" hotkey.

We all see them, poor little newbies trying desperately to call guards in the wrong tab, so panicked they sometimes miss the people trying to explain to them they are in the wrong tab. 
Easy fix, have call guards bound to say G by default.

Sounds good to me. I have guards bound to G, though I rarely use it on purpose these day.

If we do that, I won't be able to use my h keybind set to "Sorry, but the guards in this channel are on vacation. Please try local instead."

I have it bound to ctrl+G, since when I did have it bound to G i inadvertently called for guards a number of times while typing, or rather thought I was typing.....

But in principle I agree it's a very useful option to have by default.

24 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

We all see them, poor little newbies trying desperately to call guards in the wrong tab, so panicked they sometimes miss the people trying to explain to them they are in the wrong tab. 
Easy fix, have call guards bound to say G by default.

I don't think a default would help.  I have it bound to G, but the chat channel I'm in still comes into play.

They would need to remove it from "interface" as in chat commands, and move it to console... but it's not really an action like MILK, or PRAY, or MINE...

Perhaps they could do:

• Command: Call Guards
  • Default: G
  • Category: Action
  • Keybind: CALL_GUARDS
  • Type: Bind
  • Description:  I don't wanna die, oh god oh god, please no.

and then have guards triggered by a console keybind rather than a chat command.  Not sure how easy that part is, but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

Nubs still need to know a few basic things to survive.. targeting the creature chasing them.. asking for guards help, being within tower's range, not counting on 5-6 guards vs a champion, etc...

Best you could do is.. explain the whole gig to a new player :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

I don't think a default would help.  I have it bound to G, but the chat channel I'm in still comes into play.

They would need to remove it from "interface" as in chat commands, and move it to console... but it's not really an action like MILK, or PRAY, or MINE...

Perhaps they could do:

• Command: Call Guards
  • Default: G
  • Category: Action
  • Keybind: CALL_GUARDS
  • Type: Bind
  • Description:  I don't wanna die, oh god oh god, please no.

and then have guards triggered by a console keybind rather than a chat command.  Not sure how easy that part is, but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

You do know that if you have it keybound it automatically calls guards in local right, regardless of the tab you are in?

9 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

You do know that if you have it keybound it automatically calls guards in local right, regardless of the tab you are in?

F1 for console in-game:

bind G "say guards!"

you'll have to target the troll/wolf/spider/etc... than use the keybind.. and be within tower's range, and have a free guard around... to get it's help

Just now, Finnn said:

F1 for console in-game:

bind G "say guards!"

you'll have to target the troll/wolf/spider/etc... than use the keybind.. and be within tower's range, and have a free guard around... to get it's help

I am aware of this...
What I am saying, if you read my op, is that it should come pre bound as a default for newbies.

I read it and replied to that, and still.. new players have to know more to successfully survive their first troll and guard tower encounter. Nothing teaches you to select the creature you wish to fight.. or that you need the same mechanic to point the enemy for the guards, newbs need a new tutorial or helpful vets to teach them how to wurm.

2 hours ago, Greyfox said:

:lol:  Nope, did not realize that.

i use P for guards

my keybinds for everything are extremely different from the default bc when i set stuff it usually later gets added as a new keybind, like paperdoll and stuff