Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Make Trees Solid Again

There are post in the past about this and bringing it up again.

Since playing on test server I found on accident you can't walk through trees so it's like "real trees" which is pretty cool.  At first I didn't think solid trees were a good idea, but after playing around on test server solid trees seems like it should be part of the normal experience instead of walking through them.

So I'm suggesting that solid trees "clipping?" be turned back on for PvE and PvP server.  I really want this on PvP servers.  Make my heart pound even harder being chased in the forest going around trees.

Maybe solid trees can block certain attacks while being chased or arrows?  Dunno, but putting it out there.

• Like 2

Would cause problems since a lot of people tend to "hide" their tokens within trees on PvE. Other than that , if it's properly made , yes.

I prefer it the way it is now makes foraging and moving around much easier.

• Like 5

i remember the times of good old solid trees that would bother you when running away from hell hounds or trolls.

back then the only really annoying trees were olive trees. now we got chestnuts too.

not sure if id really like to see it coming back but for those that want them back... well

I fully support this, it's a minor thing, and it brings back the realness of nature taking back an area.

• Like 1

+1. The silliness of walking through trees is just absurd, may as well walk through walls and fences.

• Like 4

BIG -1 

its a really stupid feature that should never have been added at all, causes mayhem and makes you lose your ###### in linden or olive forests

• Like 1

The major worries are about thick stumped trees.

This feature will be returning, but we are working on some improved collision systems, and will be taking the trees that block all access into accounts when looking at how we can address it.

When it was removed as part of bridges collision work, it was always intended to be returned. We delayed returning it on the live WO servers until the improved systems, but it exists on test and on all WU servers that do not mod it out.

• Like 8

I was worried about it returning as got used to it is gone - but since I also play on WU servers with the collision enabled I like it there. More realistic and still useful with a bit of player skill when climbing.

I'm looking forward the improved collision of trees though.

Being able to navigate through a forest is far more important to me than to be able to climb mountains without cheese sandwiches/lemonade.

• Like 3

Nobody who plays on Xan should up this. 75% of Xan is already impossible to see through forest. Let's not make it impossible to pass trough too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Nobody who plays on Xan should up this. 75% of Xan is already impossible to see through forest. Let's not make it impossible to pass trough too.

I'm on xanadu and I definately +! this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tallios said:

I'm on xanadu and I definately +! this.

what he said. +1 from me as well. Much better immersion

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Myriad said:

what he said. +1 from me as well. Much better immersion

You say that because you live in a pine forest. Come over to my olive grove with a hardened troll mound in it and they'll immerse your face ;) 

• Like 2

please no, tree collision made traveling a nightmare, it doesn't matter if it's bug free, it's just a major serious annoyance and pain

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

please no, tree collision made traveling a nightmare, it doesn't matter if it's bug free, it's just a major serious annoyance and pain

running over a flat map like elevation without tree collision just makes it bad when chasing and getting away too easy.
pick a random direction into the nearby forest and off you go, won't be such a case anymore. 
Sure people will cut them down but it will also force people to carve out roads and it was better with collision imo and I've hated trees ever since it was removed.

Hota would have to be thick-tree free for the better part on Elevation tho, otherwise we'll be starting expeditions into the Olive tree forest just to cut our way to pillars

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The major worries are about thick stumped trees.

This feature will be returning, but we are working on some improved collision systems, and will be taking the trees that block all access into accounts when looking at how we can address it.

When it was removed as part of bridges collision work, it was always intended to be returned. We delayed returning it on the live WO servers until the improved systems, but it exists on test and on all WU servers that do not mod it out.

Glad to hear there will be a return, i remember dodging my way through trees to get away from the enemy hoping they'd get snagged or unable to follow route. 
Ofc there was times I just ran into tree cages and the enemy just sat there archering my horse away, lol.

Edited by _Teal_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, _Teal_ said:

running over a flat map like elevation without tree collision just makes it bad when chasing and getting away too easy.
pick a random direction into the nearby forest and off you go, won't be such a case anymore. 
Sure people will cut them down but it will also force people to carve out roads and it was better with collision imo and I've hated trees ever since it was removed.

makes 0 net difference, anyone with half a brain can just look where they're going as they bounce around trees and turn slightly if there are multiple trees blocking a path

just an imaginary problem that less qol wont fix, and looking at the elevation map dump and memories of old elevation, there are a lot of roads already

Doesn't really seem like there's any question as to whether or not solid trees are returning... devs have decided solid trees are returning.

What's left to discuss now is how to mitigate the repercussions. 

• Groves can be replanted with trees "in the center." 
  • Paths can be carved out in the most troublesome areas ahead of time. 
  • Age of trees affects their circumference... will that be reflected in the collision box?
    • If so, it would pay to prune and maintain forests people plan to travel.
  • Etc... what else?

• Like 1