Sign in to follow this  
Theodein

Naval Combat

Oh captain my captain! 

Mostly aimed at PvP servers.

The naval combat that exists today is purely brawling next to each other when sitting in a boat.

Maybe implementing a Cannon , that can be loaded in larger ships such as Carval / Cog and manned individually by crew members and use sort of the same combat system such as arrows being shot.

Should do less damage than catapults and trebuchets on buildings though to encourage players to go on land and continue their attack. Do not prevent cannons from being fired from only ships though as they would make a great addition to coast deeds defences against what ? Ships of course! 

400px-BattleOfVirginiaCapes.jpg

7042ad7e1fdcfa986466b33fcdc942c6.jpg

-1 to cannons, ballistae would fit better.

but the "shoot arrows at boats to damage them" thing was brought up a while back anyways and noone in the pvp community seemed to think its a good idea and it was scrapped again. so i doubt this will go anywhere, sorry.

• Like 2

I'm into really keen for shooting arrows at boats, meant that the target system for cannons would work the same way targeting with a bow and arrow would work.

+1

Would love to see a change to ship battles.  Maybe make them like real battles if you use bigger boats and only the bigger boats.  Would make seeing more than a sailboat and a knarr on Chaos.

Maybe can load up (add) canons to the game like OP said and only on the big boats (no rowboat, sailboat or knarr) can use and these bigger boats get some type of advantage or not since they can be water based catapults pretty much.  So many ideas to think of for this.

Still brain storming after seeing this, but making a better boat battling system instead of boats only being for transport would be awesome.  Naval combat FTW!  Only thing replacing canons right now is a long/short bow.

Really sucks when 2 sailboats are the same speed and it's always a neck and neck battle and need shortbow skill.  Only reason for shortbow skill is for boat fights.  Canons are cooler.  Make people risk boat damage to a canon and want to bring out a bigger boat that can handle the canon fire.  Thinking out loud now.

Would be nice if ballista could be mounted on big boats

Imagining this.. makes me laugh.. but seems like a nice way to put shipbuilders back in business

ofc nobody on pvp likes to lose their shiny boat .. so.. what do we do...

r.i.p. idea

Mmm ballista and catapults on ships.... mMMmmmMMmmmmmm

Now, now... the ship doesn't have to be completely destroyed. Just rendered into a shape where it can no longer sail. Kinda how having the effective ql too low keeps a vehicle from being used.

Personally I'm all for equipping ships, especially one as "over-equipped" as this one:

• Like 1

the problem with shooting boats meant 3 boats of JK would have been able to out shoot one boat of Crusaders and we'd lose ql = speed and we'd be slaughtered, naval battles isn't about brawling more about the captain etc, the change itself would just deter 1 boat going against 3 and stop it becoming about skill and instead more about zerging arrows/cannon balls into the players boats.

when you make pvp rely on numbers you end up having less pvp...If you can go into battle out numbered because the chance of success is directly in your team play and communication, then there is more pvp and more fun to be had and skills to learn. 

I would like to see a catapult type machine on a larger ship tho, just so you can raid from the water on coastal deeds, lol.

Edited by _Teal_

On 4/14/2017 at 8:58 PM, Theodein said:

Cannon! No greek fire.

I'd bid on ballistas for boats.. instead of cannons/catapults tho.