Sign in to follow this  
Mykoal

Auction House

It's pretty simple idea, however not sure how simple it would be to code...but every game I played with trade and markets have always had an auction house...I think this would be a great additionto the game...It would maybe even stop people from posting fake auctions, or even having their friends boost up the bids...also for those that can't pay, can't pay the auction game...anyway, what is everyone else's thoughts?

I had always thought this is what the traders should morph into but it has always been said it was to big/hard of a project to do back when Rolf was conducting the show. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

It's probably something that is expected in games nowadays.  Many players have probably never played a game without one if they are more recently born.

If it is something that needs to happen to modernize the game and appeal to the latest generations... well, devs gotta do what devs gotta do imho.

On the other hand, I really like the grassroots style merchants and markets in Wurm.  I don't use them often, admittedly.  I like the personal touch of having people with high skills have their own merchants.  I like the fact that markets sometimes need to go above and beyond to attract customers, making the deed look spectacular, building mazes out of hedges, innovating new ways to deliver goods, etc.

It's awesome when a market owner takes the time to post and update what's in stock so people are more likely to make the trip.

==========================================================================================

I guess, if the devs have too much time on their hands :P, I'd rather see something like a merchant API developed so a website can automatically be populated with inventory and kept current.  It would put the tool in the players' hands and see what they come up with.

• Like 1

All Wurm needs is a grand Capitol accessible with portal, maybe on its own island - where no one is allowed to do anything else than put up merchant and trade.

Edit: Well, i forgot to add that this just was a thought. To ease on the fps or number of merchants; allow only 1 merchant per premium character, and expand inventory of merchants on this place.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 4

I'm not so sure I'd like to wade through hundreds of merchants in one giant large town.. to which I should add would kill fps beyond what Kyara on chaos is possible of doing.  Further, I have 5 merchant contracts... imagine the space needed to allow for the number of merchants the entire game population has.

Rolf was always about travel if I recall correctly.  I'm pretty sure the current mindset of the dev team is to push people to travel, it's just part of the game.  Auction houses in general take away the need to get off your server; and depending how implemented, your deed.

I'd hate to lose a reason to visit other servers or leave my island :/

Edited by Nomadikhan
grammatical and spelling issues.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

To my suggestion or OP?

No one really travels, they sell and buy via the forums or trade chat....

24 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I'm not so sure I'd like to wade through hundreds of merchants in one giant large town.. to which I should add would kill fps beyond what Kyara on chaos is possible of doing.  Further, I have 5 merchant contracts... imagine the space needed to allow for the number of merchants the entire game population has.

Rolf was always about travel if I recall correctly.  I'm pretty sure the current mindset of the dev team is to push people to travel, it's just part of the game.  Auction houses in general take away the need to get off your server; and depending how implemented, your deed.

I'd hate to lose a reason to visit other servers or leave my island :/

16 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

To my suggestion or OP?

To both, really.

2 minutes ago, Mykoal said:

Many do, how do people get all those bulk items and non-mailables being sold on the forums :)

I like the idea, really so plese don'tget me wrong, it just doesn't fit with the wurm idea imo

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

I can't seem to agree. I think the trading works well the way it is now. 

• Like 2

I understand  that, but really bulk and unmailable involved sailing because of them not being able to mail...but I get what you mean, I'm sure that there will be a lot of people that would not want this, but really if it can't be mailed then I see no reason it it couldn't involve the same idea as mailboxes...

2 hours ago, Mykoal said:

Not really true, I do some selling through the trade chat but most of my selling is done through my merchant.

Not sure I can really agree with an auction house, those tend to end up with first guy posting X at Y price and then guy two comes along and posts X at Y*0.95 and then the third guy comes along and before you know it the market has been destroyed, even more then it already is. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you got a point...but don't they do that already? As much of a pain as it might be, I guess I'll have to deal with forums and the play phone tag via PMs from trade chat...I just really like being able to look up what I want when I want it, because the WTB here or trade stinks for my taste...

Now, if there was a lower limit for price of an item, plus a fee. Then we would rule out the 1 dirt auctions, and still welcome the same auctions we see on the forums.

And to make it a real auction house feel, add a lower limit of time an item has to be there. Say it has to be open for bids for atleast a week.

That would maybe not compete with the bulk sailing, it would also give more people a chance of bidding, and last it would be easier to drop a line in trade chat if you want something gone right away.

When I think about it, this is actually a bad idea (according to me) to implement codewise but would be great to implement community wise. 

If someone could make a "Auction house" deed called something like Birka , where they offered people to place their own merchant or managed the trade for them via merchants for a small fee your idea would exist.

That would be a great way to gather up players to meet via trading and still keep the immersion you get from actually traveling and picking something up? 

Do people agree with this?

1 hour ago, Theodein said:

If someone could make a "Auction house" deed called something like Birka , where they offered people to place their own merchant or managed the trade for them via merchants for a small fee your idea would exist.

We could even call it a market. Oh wait...

Rather than an "Auction House" what I would really like to have, would be the ability to, from my local merchant to see the inventories of all other merchants on my server. That would often be a big help in determining where to travel for that new high QL rope tool i might need. Because for once maybe one of my neighbours might have it  on his merchant, which would mean that I wouldn't have travel as far to buy it :-)

Once we had that ability, next step would be a search function which could be used to for example list all long swords for sale on all the merchants of the server I'm on. The list would have to include stats and prices set for each item as well as the name of the merchant holding it.

For this to be usefull we would have to have maps of the whereabouts of all merchants.

• Like 1

I would say no to auction houses. Some way to merge traders together however might be pretty good. Perhaps a window that would bring up all possible places to trade within 100 tiles, then either a list of all the items they have or search for an item by name. This leads to having a trade hub but not having to look through an incredible number of inventories.

I've suggested this before and loved it when playing Ultima Online, but heard a lot of people saying no one would travel to the auction house in wurm meaning probably pointless without some kind of quick travel.  I'd still like to see a player made/run auction house though.

Edit...found it.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

What wurm needs is... somebody to 'copy' http://poe.trade/ for wurm.. and get this market going.... or.. keep old scammers shank new players as it have been for years...<_<