Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Wall types VS New textures

Vote with your heart  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Vote with your heart

• 6 new 95% complete textures + parapet discrimination
    • 5 new 100% complete textures + good castle designs, pretty cave dwellings

Apparently we're getting 6 new textures! And apparently all of them are going to be available for cave dwellings! BUT apparently there's a limit to quantity of wall types and all of new textures will come without parapets. Parapets, which make for the best castle designs. Parapets, which are the best option for  cave buildings' tops decorating (since we have no roofs there).

Would you rather not get one of these new textures, but have parapets be available for any kind of stone building, be it usual stone, slate, marble, etc.?

Here are the soon to come new textures. I'd vote for "rendered" to stay out.

Pottery and sandstone

Spoiler

house1.png

Round stone and Rendered

Spoiler

house2.png

Marble and Slate

Spoiler

house3.png

Just look at these awesome parapets. They don't want us to have them:

Lni7Vzo.png

U1JHyU0.jpg

I'd rather the devs fix the wall limit issue instead so we can enjoy a greater variety of walls in the future

As has been stated multiple times already, adding on parapets to this next update isn't possible at the moment because of the limit we've hit. The limit will eventually be raised and parapets for the new types will be at the top of the list for new fences, but it's not a simple change and is not going to happen immediately. Leaving out one full set of walls to make room for parapets at this time will just cause more strife I'd expect - whichever was left out would cause someone to be disappointed that their favourite was removed - not to mention doing this would cause the update to be delayed at least a couple of weeks, making even more people disappointed since we've already stated when the update is going to be.

TL;DR: They'll be coming eventually, just not immediately.

• Like 3

When you do the parapets don't forget about the tall wall versions of the new types too. (lets hope it is soon) :) 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Budda said:

whichever was left out would cause someone to be disappointed that their favourite was removed

I am on a fence about this. It sure makes sense, but is rendered wall (even though it's just an example) anyone's favourite?.. No offence, @Saroman

However we can only guess how many people would second this:

On 31.03.2017 at 11:42 AM, Kegan said:

For me with how much I use parapets I am stuck with the walls we have now. Maybe round stone might look okay but any of the others will just not work. :(  

Edit: It does not make a lot of sense to me to not have a matching parapet since they are such an important part of building a castle like structure. 

Edited by zigozag

The rendered wall doesn't look too bad, it's at least unique, I'd prefer the round stone be left out if any

2 hours ago, Budda said:

As has been stated multiple times already, adding on parapets to this next update isn't possible at the moment because of the limit we've hit. The limit will eventually be raised and parapets for the new types will be at the top of the list for new fences, but it's not a simple change and is not going to happen immediately. Leaving out one full set of walls to make room for parapets at this time will just cause more strife I'd expect - whichever was left out would cause someone to be disappointed that their favourite was removed - not to mention doing this would cause the update to be delayed at least a couple of weeks, making even more people disappointed since we've already stated when the update is going to be.

any plans to replace the 'stone and iron parapet' with something that does not look exactly the same as the 'iron fence'?

Uh. How about neither, because they won't fix the mob distribution issue and there's no need of buildings, much less walls/wall types in my area.

I have been back from a break for about 5 months now and haven't even needed to build a building...that's how dead my area constantly is. There's nothing to fear. I built a high iron fence around my place and didn't even seal it hoping things might come in and 'get trapped' bouncing off the fences, but I've only had one horse enter/get confused enough to stick around and that was probably pure luck.

But yeah, back when I was building castles...(I've built 3 in the past.)....I did think we needed more parapet options because the few we did have didn't look that good, so if I HAD to put a vote towards something...it would be adding more parapet options. I'd also rather have wood types back than most of these wall types, except maybe the pottery one.

I want to make a sandcastle, so parapets would be nice + tall stone walls. Hopefully the wait isn't a few years! :)

And the ability to make turret towers would be nice. One day maybe.

Edited by Niki

Just now, Niki said:

I want to make a sandcastle, so parapets would be nice + tall stone walls. Hopefully the wait isn't a few years! :)

I am going ahead and building on Budda posting that they will be added lets just hope it is soon.

He also liked my tall wall comment so taking that as a yes there will be tall walls too, lol

9 hours ago, Niki said:

I want to make a sandcastle, so parapets would be nice + tall stone walls.

And sandbridges. *holds fingers crossed*

Edited by zigozag

Why are devs wasting time on pointless wall arguments, when <insert pet issue here> is languishing without any dev effort since the dawn of history?!?  Seriously, the level of dev bias against <insert random sub-group here> is astounding!

(you know you were thinking it)

Ultimately, it's better to get part of the feature now, and the rest later than waiting for the whole thing to happen at some point in the future.  The bird in the hand, etc.

19 hours ago, Budda said:

14 hours ago, Kegan said:
14 hours ago, Niki said:

I am going ahead and building on Budda posting that they will be added lets just hope it is soon.

Is this the 'Soon' like Rolf's bridge promises? Or soon as in we may actually see it in our lifetime?

This is why being told 'It will come in eventually' and then watching it languish in development for ages gets annoying. We keep getting told things are going to come, and then years and years later, they aren't input.

We were told a long time ago we would get our wood textures back, but it's now been about 2-3 years since removal.

Devs not holding up their word/making promises they don't keep is one of the reasons people become so frustrated and pick up and take their money elsewhere. It's not just Wurm that this happens with either...you can read reviews/people who boycott whole companies left and right all over numerous websites.

This is carrot on a stick mentality, promise them the world and then renege when it no longer suits a specific vision someone had.

It's really quite tiring to be lead on like this...

New fences are not in active development, being told that the way the system currently works will be overhauled as time goes on is not languishing in development.

Hitting any limit usually raises plans to overcome that limit and move forward, but as we do have a small development team massively long projects tend to work in the background over a long period of time (bridges and cooking were both year+ long projects).

No doubt addressing this will occur at some stage, but it is no statement of they are being worked on, do not mistake the two.

When this limit will be adressed is very important. If it's going to be 1-2 months, then it doesn't really matter whether you take the poll results into account or not. But otherwise a solid part of this big work might end up being frowned upon or ignored a lot until the limit is dealt with.

Edited by zigozag

It wont be addressed in the near future, other plans have priority.

We wont be changing what goes live on thursday though, or delaying the update.

Honestly, this is the beginning of a new change. We're getting new wall textures, we're getting new floors and eventually fences, and there are a LOT of changes incoming. A lot of changes many of us have waited for. Let's give the devs some time to finish what they're working on and I'm sure we'll get associated parapets and other changes when the time comes. We just need to be a little patient and trust the devs with their decisions on what has priority.

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 2

I know there is not much that can be done now but in my opinion the round stone should have been left off and the others completed.  It is not that big of a difference over just plan brick and would have given room for parapets and tall walls for the rest of the new walls.

It does make building with the new stuff kind of pointless now since there will not be a matching parapet or tall stone version for what sounds like a longtime.  (I am sure those that build with roofs will be happy but the rest of us will be left out)

Edited by Kegan

On 10/04/2017 at 3:44 PM, Kegan said:

When you do the parapets don't forget about the tall wall versions of the new types too. (lets hope it is soon) :) 

bump