Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

bad news no one

this morning I went into my local hardly normal (Harvey norman store, equivalent I guess would be Walmart or somewhere that sells all kinds of shite no one can afford lol) after seeing on the website that they had a computer that would replace my ASUS. but I get in there, they have none in stock, even though the website said that they did only the display model. the keyboard and mouse didn't work. it had to be reset right there and then, and I end up resetting the display model while he went searching for a box for it. came back and he couldn't find a box for it.

so then he tried to sell me something else I couldn't afford or had no interest in it. so to say i'm pretty f angry this morning would be slight. so then I come home and I call a couple of computer companies and one said they wouldn't be able to give me anything on my budget and another said it would cost me another 140$ on top for a copy of windows 10, are you friggin kidding me, plus I would have had to pay shipping,

talk about having a sucky Monday... on a happier note though my computer has stopped lagging at least for the moment, I haven't gone to wurm U as yet. so that may change rather quickly

understanding website stock and in-store stock is the first step to not going to walmart for your computers

Avoid Hardly normal like the plague, over priced ###### everywhere, go pccasegear or msi for decently priced gear.

When buying windows licences its generally more cost effective to go with OEM copies.

Edited by cccdfern
  • Like 1

Agreed with the posts above. 

P.S.: Don't get Windows 10 xD IMHO the best options are to stick with an earlier Windows (7, 8 mostly) or to switch to a Linux based OS. 

37 minutes ago, cccdfern said:

Avoid Hardly normal like the plague, over priced ###### everywhere, go pccasegear or msi for decently priced gear.

When buying windows licences its generally more cost effective to go with OEM copies.

you must be #strayan by the sounds of  that..

8 hours ago, Yldrania said:

Agreed with the posts above. 

P.S.: Don't get Windows 10 xD IMHO the best options are to stick with an earlier Windows (7, 8 mostly) or to switch to a Linux based OS. 

Well, they were trying to force us to have it for free...

7 hours ago, ozmods said:

you must be #strayan by the sounds of  that..

Correctamundo

1 hour ago, cccdfern said:

Well, they were trying to force us to have it for free...

If someone was randomly trying to give me something for free, I would be very suspicious at least. And when there is a large company behind that... :D

When it comes to buying computers in shops... Don't do it, even in tech shops like Media Markt. I think the best solution is to go to tech forum and post your budget + what you want to use computer for.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Warlander said:

If someone was randomly trying to give me something for free, I would be very suspicious at least. And when there is a large company behind that... :D

When it comes to buying computers in shops... Don't do it, even in tech shops like Media Markt. I think the best solution is to go to tech forum and post your budget + what you want to use computer for.

Or piece shop and assemble it yourself. Then you know you didn't get, say, a nice motherboard and a 1990s graphics card stuck into it.

• Like 1

Still no complaints here from windows 10, I don't understand what some of you do on your computers that run into so many issues with windows 10, then again I have been building my own computer since my first computer, and have gone through many OS.. I was quite fond of XP... then had to move on to 7 due to some games requirement.. I skipped 8 all together as it just turned your desktop into a tablet.. and then I tried windows 10, and yeah the first windows 10 install sucked bad it practically destroyed my pc.. but then I found another way to obtain windows 10 and installed it on a fresh SSD.. and it's been years since I've had to do anything to my computer.. let alone reformat or install another OS. I guess a lot of people run into problems when they try to upgrade from windows 7/8 to 10 using the "free" offer.

You can still get windows 10 for free by the way.  Anyone can.  Search google for "windows 10 for hearing or visually impaired"   It's the ful version of windows 10 with added extras to aid impaired people.. none of which are on by default upon install lol..  You pretty much just agree to typical terms or conditions and click download, after windows 10 corrupted itself a year ago this was how I got it again without paying... retarded you have to pay for something that you got for free that corrupted itself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Don't feed the company trolls...

P.S. - avoid windows 10 like the plague unless you don't value your saved data (music, videos, etc)

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Legios said:

Still no complaints here from windows 10, I don't understand what some of you do on your computers that run into so many issues with windows 10, then again I have been building my own computer since my first computer, and have gone through many OS.. I was quite fond of XP... then had to move on to 7 due to some games requirement.. I skipped 8 all together as it just turned your desktop into a tablet.. and then I tried windows 10, and yeah the first windows 10 install sucked bad it practically destroyed my pc.. but then I found another way to obtain windows 10 and installed it on a fresh SSD.. and it's been years since I've had to do anything to my computer.. let alone reformat or install another OS. I guess a lot of people run into problems when they try to upgrade from windows 7/8 to 10 using the "free" offer.

2015 - I installed windows 10 as an upgrade over 7 pro, upon install all my files were set to trusted installer as the owner.  I took ownership of files per microsoft's guide and promptly lost access to everything.. was not allowed to even click the start button.  Was not allowed to access  task manager. 

2016 - Again installed windows 10 after giving it a year to fix bugs... upon install I was locked out of files repeatedly due to the One Drive bug that would periodically alter permissions.  After disabling one drive and finally fixing my permissions I continued life as normal until....

2017 - I turned my PC on, it said hey I did an update to windows so let's restart, I clicked ok, PC restarted to a corrupted hard drive that kept booting to check disk on a loop.   Check disk started before my keyboard would enable, could not even use recover due to not being able to select alternate boot device.

Windows 10 is just crappy and I've found it really depends on the PC hardware..  My laptop has had it installed for 2 years, zero issues.  My desktop, well you read above I hope.

Im thinking if and when this shitbox asus does die, buying an IMAC  lol..

last night i deleted some redundant, or what i thought were redundant drivers, it wiped me out. So im going through this whole process again.. 

On another note who here has an SSD are they worth the money and can they be installed in a laptop?

Stuck with Winblows 10 for my work machine - I've just about gotten it to the point where it's usable, after a LOT of tweaking and manual reconfiguration.  It's not perfect, but it's at least usable.  If you can, stick to 7 - there may still be a downgrade option on business licenses, allowing you to buy a new license of 10 (or 8), but actually install 7.

• Like 1

Tonight i got about an hours worh of wurm playd, i would have been in longer but i was doing other stuff too. The lag was almost non exsistent, so im not sure whats going on with, one minute it lags awfully the next its fine. I think my pc,has a multiple personality lol...

as for windows 10 yes I ran that for a short time, but the pc ihave didnt play well with it,so it got booted, now with 8.1

17 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

2015 - I installed windows 10 as an upgrade over 7 pro, upon install all my files were set to trusted installer as the owner.  I took ownership of files per microsoft's guide and promptly lost access to everything.. was not allowed to even click the start button.  Was not allowed to access  task manager. 

2016 - Again installed windows 10 after giving it a year to fix bugs... upon install I was locked out of files repeatedly due to the One Drive bug that would periodically alter permissions.  After disabling one drive and finally fixing my permissions I continued life as normal until....

2017 - I turned my PC on, it said hey I did an update to windows so let's restart, I clicked ok, PC restarted to a corrupted hard drive that kept booting to check disk on a loop.   Check disk started before my keyboard would enable, could not even use recover due to not being able to select alternate boot device.

Windows 10 is just crappy and I've found it really depends on the PC hardware..  My laptop has had it installed for 2 years, zero issues.  My desktop, well you read above I hope.

Never ran into any of these issues, the only problem I had the first time I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 was the first time I installed it I ran into the issue were it would be using like 100% of your computer resource making it super slow, this did not stop until I finally formatted I have 2 HDD and 2 SSD on my computer, 1 SSD is solely for OS 250GB, the other is 250gb for video games, and the 2 HDD 2tb each are for storage.

Seems that most the issues arise when you do the "upgrade"

Again I have yet to encounter any problems with windows 10 other than that first time when I decided to "upgrade" using the windows free option, I guess that is how most people upgrade to windows 10 and that is probably why so many run into issues ruining the experience =(