Sign in to follow this  
EarthsDefect

Ceiling mod Request!

I don't know if its just me but wurm buildings would look much better with ceilings. Please let me know if your interested in making this mod. ;-) 

You need someone who can model and change the floor model  really don't need to code anything at all. The floor model just needs a bottom. adding a ceiling to the floor model you can just get ride of the extra polygons and replace most of the bottom with a flat texture like the top of the floor giving you the ceiling look on the bottom. Then you will want to change the texture if I recall floor uses a 512 x 512 so you would want a 512 x 1024 to replace it on 512 x 512 of the new texture you will want the existing texture and the other 512 x 512 the ceiling texture. The reason for a new texture this size is to have 1 draw call and not 2 draw calls from 2 different textures.

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

You need someone who can model and change the floor model  really don't need to code anything at all. The floor model just needs a bottom. adding a ceiling to the floor model you can just get ride of the extra polygons and replace most of the bottom with a flat texture like the top of the floor giving you the ceiling look on the bottom. Then you will want to change the texture if I recall floor uses a 512 x 512 so you would want a 512 x 1024 to replace it on 512 x 512 of the new texture you will want the existing texture and the other 512 x 512 the ceiling texture. The reason for a new texture this size is to have 1 draw call and not 2 draw calls from 2 different textures.

Will need to alter the roof as well if your going this route.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Will need to alter the roof as well if your going this route.

Not really. You can mod in the ability to place a floor tile on the same spot as a roof tile so you can still have open roofs and place a floor on same spot on spots you want to be enclosed.

• Like 1

if this can be made into a mod it would be great for wurm! I like the idea of keeping the ability to leave the floor open you could also you use a ladder so you can have an attic.

If you can make this a mod pm me ;)

we all want this mod, but the chances of getting it, slim at best I would say

was just going to make a new thread requesting this lol - would REALLY love the option to have roof sections have a lower ceiling so that the top floor doesnt have to be exposed to the roof if you dont want. (looks silly having a gap between the top of the walls and the roof)

• Like 1

would need to be client side change to models or possibly serverpack model change on server side.

Either way requires adding models to the game which only a handle full of people have managed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cuddles said:

would need to be client side change to models or possibly serverpack model change on server side.

Either way requires adding models to the game which only a handle full of people have managed.

as Arkonick mentioned above couldn't we use the floor models to place on top of walls, like a 2nd floor but still allow building of roof above that floor? I really don't care if it looks like the bottom of the floor texture, I just want some kind of ceiling over the walls, so you don't have stupid looking walls under the roof.

It should be simple enough just need to allow building a floor under a roof tile so you don't get message "There is already a roof there"  when planning a floor under the roof.. Could someone PLEASE make this mod.

Edited by Darkness1990

hopefully this explains what i mean in more depth.

• Like 1

ok this is for testing, don't go throwing it up on a live server just yet. It shouldn't really break anything as long as I did the item creation and such properly, anyway the video explains that towards the end.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjnBltNOSFjCgmm8F0opWdGbvEnV

---== Edit ==---

Fixed materials, fixed messages, it's pretty much ready to go tbh unless people find issues in testing. 

Enjoy.

Edited by Cuddles
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cuddles said:

ok this is for testing, don't go throwing it up on a live server just yet. It shouldn't really break anything as long as I did the item creation and such properly, anyway the video explains that towards the end.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjnBltNOSFjCgmm8F0opWdGbvEnV

Awesome work! This is looking great and thanks for the videos. I didn't know that the ceiling needs to sit on top of something, also didn't know the roof wasn't really at the top. so I guess the only way now to get the ceiling lower, so its "under the roof" and on top of inside walls/rooms, without a gap between walls and ceiling is to remove colliders from roofs but without the collider it will just drop to the ground or as you said make it a solid object like "floors above" this is something wurm devs should have done a long time ago. I guess ceilings aren't solid objects and as you said the roof is still there so you couldn't put a ladder into the ceiling area to allow players to remove the ceiling from the top or use it as a  attic. I don't know much about coding, but from what I can understand wurm unlimited doesn't have gravity its more a positions hence why the ceiling just drops to the ground because there isn't something for it to collide with.

Edited by Darkness1990

tbh - iv just been reading the WO news and sounds like we might get something added to the game natively this year as part of "frontier" as its going to focus on construction.

• Like 1

As wurm unlimited is no longer been supported/updated can someone please add a new model for roof with ceilings.

Edited by Darkness1990
  • Like 1

what about adding a additional roof options so you have build roof with ceiling, removes the extra struggle of trying to make something fit between the roof and wall tiles.

also makes it less messing around to build i imagine... 

i may revisit this in my decorations topic, just as an item that can be dropped on the ground.