Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Slow decaying buildings on perimeter

I have a deed on Celebration. I found a nice spot near a friend's place and decided to deed. It had some nice ramps and an area where I could put a vault, and it was next to a very nice mine. After some time here, I have decided to expand my deed. However, there are two structures preventing me from doing so.

4e381dc2601d73ea6f7dacfe6d6ab242.jpg

To the north there is a bridge which was created into a building that would serve as a support. Besides being a pretty ugly bridge, it is unusable, since the plataform where the "support" is has decayed, making the bridge impassable. This is a very important bridge in the area that connects the west section and villages with the road to Summerholt. Since the bridge is down, locals are forced to use a very terrible dirt path next to the mountain that is a nightmare to take, where wagons and carts and even horses get stuck constantly. The building holding the bridge is 66ql and has taken about 9 damage in all the time since its creation. I came across this bridge months ago.

9f67f4ec02ef954020eeeff3a690e361.jpg

To the south I have what seems at some time have been a horse stable, which has decayed to about 50dmg in at least 6 months. The prior owner of the deed told me that stable was there and he had it on perimeter for several months until he gave up and disbanded his deed. It has an average of 50ql.

I have been told my only recourse is to disband my deed and move elsewhere. I don't really want to move, given I have a pretty damn good mine with all kinds of ores all labeled and set up (Thanks Wargasm!) and a perfect setup where I want. Is there anything that can be done about this? These buildings are uninhabited, and they were never meant to be housing anyways. 

• Like 1

we have asked for a slower decay :) so be patient, or get a unique to bash all this :) 

I had a 65ql wood building that was at low damage for months on four walls while the other four had long since decayed so not sure what that was about. They were all under my perimeter so no one was able to repair the four walls. I had come back to the place a week or so later and the walls went from 9 damage all the way to over 60 so there was a buildup of decay that was not showing or something then caught up to itself so yes i think there is something wrong with it.

I did not say anything though since last time i did there was an uproar over the deal and it was just  a side deed anyway. 

Edited by Kegan

Well it's kinda a terrible situation for me given I can't do anything about these buildings. I'm very limited on my deed and I can't think of a reason why we should endure not having a proper bridge. It sucks :(

There's two sides to this feature.  On one hand, people want their off-deed buildings to decay slow, to prevent griefing of off-deed houses by people who spend 1s to drop a "perimeter deed" to make it decay faster.  If a deed disbands, and you see lots of goodies inside a locked house, just drop a deed next to it, build a wall around the whole thing (no one will come back to report you... right?) and you have your own personal treasure trove.

On the other hand, such as the case in Angel's illustration above, people building unnecessary bridges that block people's ability to build on a nice piece of land.  The bridge in the picture is about 20 tiles from a winding coast line that could have much easier been converted into a diagonal highway.  Now whoever deeds that spot gets to look at the above eye sore for the next 6 months.

I can see people disagreeing with both, and the only alternative is a case by case GM intervention, which I believe is a very bad idea.

• Like 3

buildings are actually decaying faster when their original owner stops playing/is inactive for a longer time. I don't know the specifics of it though.....but if that person just moved on without removing whatever they build and are still playing wurm, it could be a cause for things decaying slowly.
Have you thought about only expanding perimeter over everything? and make a new bridge?

Buildings decay faster on perimeter when the owner has been offline for 3 months or more. Up until then, the decay is fairly slow.

As soon as one of the walls comes down, I've been able to catapult the remaining ones down thus destroying the house, so you only have to wait for the weakest wall.

P.S.: Catapulting also works wonders for unwanted bridges. Trust me, I know. xD 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

Buildings decay faster on perimeter when the owner has been offline for 3 months or more. Up until then, the decay is fairly slow.

As soon as one of the walls comes down, I've been able to catapult the remaining ones down thus destroying the house, so you only have to wait for the weakest wall.

P.S.: Catapulting also works wonders for unwanted bridges. Trust me, I know. xD 

Yeah bridges are not the same as buildings, I did not know you could catapult a decayed house though, nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

.... The prior owner of the deed told me that stable was there and he had it on perimeter for several months until he gave up and disbanded his deed. It has an average of 50ql. ....

If you know who owns those stables, can't you simply ask him/her to get to the same server as where the building is and blow it up from his manage-list? Or was it not built by that prior deed-owner himself? (sorry not quite clear on that)

Edited by Kianga

3 hours ago, Kianga said:

If you know who owns those stables, can't you simply ask him/her to get to the same server as where the building is and blow it up from his manage-list? Or was it not built by that prior deed-owner himself? (sorry not quite clear on that)

I do not know who the owner is. I meant the prior owner of the deed area I am in. He told me those stables were there when he deeded and they still are. There is nothing he could do so he moved away. I don't know who owns the stables which is the problem. Same with the bridge.

As for the bride, I can't build next to it since the bridge itself blocks the area where I would be building on. I would need to drop a significant amount of dirt to raise water tiles so I could build a second eyesore next to the first, so I can bash it all down when the first bridge collapses. Would be pointless.

Waiting for a single wall to fall so I can catapult is impossible. That bridge has been there since before I started playing, and it only has 9 damage. I started playing 6 months ago or so. We are talking about what, 6 years before anything collapses? The wood floor/ceiling collapsed, making the bridge useless, but that's it. Am I forced to wait what, 6 years before a wall collapses? How is that rational?

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

If the building is not decaying, then that player is active on the server, perhaps a post in your server forums asking if they would mind blowing it up, it could be some old forgotten building and it will be a year or more for it to poof if the player is active.

Would help if I knew who the player was but there is no name on the building that indicates such.