I do not understand the  fear about  the sandstone change.

When rock salt tiles came out it did not take long to find them.

As it is now , I mine out an utmost rock tile in 50 shards, if I want it back I have Nacho priest collapse it and I get to mine same quality of rock again. Cost 13 chopped garlic.

I do same for rock salt tiles , but have to wait a few hours for the collapsed rock tile to turn into rock salt.

People need to manage their mines not trash them . Leaving behind large empty caverns is a bad practice, better to partially collapse the area and hope for new stuff to eventually spawn.

• Like 1

Much like cake, the sandstone is a lie!

And congrats Samool! :)

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Kegan said:

40-50 hits well that makes sandstone walls about out of reach unless you mine out the whole server. 

Well seeing that salt tiles appear about as random as rock now days, figure sandstone will be that way after abit.

If sandstone can be collapsed and it will still be sandstone, then there isn't an issue.  At least for anyone with a priest or access to one relatively cheaply.   Salt is not something you build with.  Which is why I think that the sandstone will be in more demand and it might cause some issues.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:58 AM, Retrograde said:

Dredging changes
Also in an upcoming patch, we'll be improving dredging with some long desired changes. Dredging will now have an option to flatten or level tiles, and also dredging will deposit dirt straight into your boat! This will only work if there's space in the dredge, but these two changes will definitely make dredging a lot easier!

Thank you for finally doing something about dredging. Too bad it wasn't done over a year and a half ago when I was dredging my whole harbor to 100 depth...but at least others won't have to put up with the pain us vets did back when. :P

I still think it would be better to just create a Dredge -(to location) mechanic, because that type of mechanic would be useful for other things...like say a Measuring Jug -(to cooking container), or maybe a Dig -(to pile) or all sorts of other uses.

But dredging to the boat is a step in the right direction...

Comparing some salt to a buildding material? We will need this in dozens of thousands! Of course, it's ought to be like marble and slate.

• Like 1

For underground dwellings, we miss a form of paving for tiles, to get a decent speed underground without making paving from buildings...

18 minutes ago, Rauros said:

For underground dwellings, we miss a form of paving for tiles, to get a decent speed underground without making paving from buildings...

Not really possible, reinforced floors are faster though

As for sandstone, the original lpan was for it to be quite common, far more common than veins and such to allow it to be spread out across the server.

We'll be changing it to operate as a vein, and randomly generate, but in fewer amounts, making it the same as slate and marble.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

We'll be changing it to operate as a vein, and randomly generate, but in fewer amounts, making it the same as slate and marble.

Now we just need those sandstone parapets and everything will be right in the world again, lol

Thanks for the change in the hit count on the sandstone :) 

29 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Now we just need those sandstone parapets and everything will be right in the world again, lol

Thanks for the change in the hit count on the sandstone :) 

the sandstone fences will work on buildings, so they will work the same as stone/iron parapets

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

the sandstone fences will work on buildings, so they will work the same as stone/iron parapets

Well the iron parapet is the same as the iron fence and those are ugly.  I am not sure what the sandstone iron fence thing is going to look like but if it is the same as the iron fence in just the sandstone texture then no it will not work. 

Look at the screenshot below the stone parapet used in the top one gives it the look and feel of a castle structure but the stone and iron parapets make it look ugly and not like a castle at all...

Spoiler

jQKd3Yy.jpg

Edit: Kind of dark and used a low settings alt to take the screenshot but here is a building with the stone parapets built in-game..

Spoiler

LFiZESx.jpg

Edited by Kegan

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Not really possible, reinforced floors are faster though

Why not? is not even possible to make something like "reinforce with paving"? I am planning a large area underground and having highways that are not actually 10km'h speed would be nice (also looking much better)

Assuming it works the same as Rocksalt veins that keep coming back.... I don't see Sandstone as a problem.

28 minutes ago, MootRed said:

@Kegan
 I don't think iron fence is ugly.

I don't think it is ugly for a fence but for a parapet it is in my opinion and it for sure is not the same thing as stone/sandstone parapet. 

What do you think when you think about a castle you think of a stone building with jagged parapets on top not iron fences. I am not asking for them to take out the iron sandstone fence just asking for the sandstone parapets be added that in my opinion should have been one of the first things added. 

Is it the end of the world... no but it for sure puts a damper on the new house wall update. It went from a very exiting thing to I don't really care anymore kind of thing for me.

It all sounds so yummy yummy yummy! LOVE the dredging improvements! Hallelujah!

On 4/2/2017 at 9:24 PM, Kegan said:

I don't think it is ugly for a fence but for a parapet it is in my opinion and it for sure is not the same thing as stone/sandstone parapet. 

What do you think when you think about a castle you think of a stone building with jagged parapets on top not iron fences. I am not asking for them to take out the iron sandstone fence just asking for the sandstone parapets be added that in my opinion should have been one of the first things added. 

Is it the end of the world... no but it for sure puts a damper on the new house wall update. It went from a very exiting thing to I don't really care anymore kind of thing for me.

I totally get where you're coming from Kegan. It's like this wonderful possibility of finally being able to build elegant and stately castles has been presented to us, only to discover that the one element needed for a castle to look like a castle: parapets - is not part of the deal. If it's a matter of texture limits, I agree with what you said in the earlier thread - that rather drop away one of the texture sets to assure that at least the ones that are there, are "complete".

• Like 2

Any chance you can allow people with stone buildings to essentially change the wall types with maybe one of the new stones. Maybe only for buildings prior to the update. My reasoning for this is because a lot of us have huge deeds already, it kinda sucks having to destroy them just for the slate wall aesthetic.

How would this work? Basically the new stone will be used on the wall type and convert it, it wouldn't change the layouts. Window will still equal window, door to door. Just with the new stone.

Only allow old buildings prior to the update or even a grace period if that's not possible.

Thanks.

I will be just bashing walls one by one and replacing them. Gives me something to do and I can take my time.

8 hours ago, Niki said:

Any chance you can allow people with stone buildings to essentially change the wall types with maybe one of the new stones. Maybe only for buildings prior to the update. My reasoning for this is because a lot of us have huge deeds already, it kinda sucks having to destroy them just for the slate wall aesthetic.

How would this work? Basically the new stone will be used on the wall type and convert it, it wouldn't change the layouts. Window will still equal window, door to door. Just with the new stone.

Only allow old buildings prior to the update or even a grace period if that's not possible.

Thanks.

This was already asked in a previous thread, so i'll put my response in from there

On 30/03/2017 at 6:53 PM, Retrograde said:

Like I said, this isn't going to happen for a few reasons

The reason we allowed the plain/stone walls to be changed as they required the same materials, and it was a simple trim. New house walls will require entirely different resources and just like timber walls weren't able to be changed like that.

The resources used vary, and while it may be a pain if you wish to go and redo your entire deed in a new wall type, but we won't be allowing a simple change for wall types.

Rendered walls also require stone walls as a base, so you could do that quite simply

Speaking of wood trims - will wood trim options be available for the new walls as well? And with the use of a mallet/pliers to switch between them?

48 minutes ago, Joneya said:

Speaking of wood trims - will wood trim options be available for the new walls as well? And with the use of a mallet/pliers to switch between them?

no

Thats too bad:unsure: But I suppose you cant have it all :D  At least I see you went creative with wall types as well as textures! :D Cant wait til update.