header.png

House of Kha - Affliction

Hi Everyone!

Another week down and more action on the test server, with siege weapon testing underway and some people snooping around at the updated housing (no graphics yet though!). Time to fill you in on what's been going on in the world of Wurm.

Samool Joins the dev team!
I'd like to give a big welcome to our newest volunteer dev Samool! Samool has been a member of the volunteer team for some time, and has stepped in to help with optimising and improving the new client. I'd like to give him a warm welcome to the dev team and look forward to seeing his work on the new client come out!

Sandstone
Some clever people on test have worked out we have a new rock tile, Sandstone! Sandstone will be randomly seeded on rock tiles throughout the world, and have 40-50 hits in each, and the shards can be made into sandstone bricks or slabs.

Check out a preview of the sandstone slab tile here:

Spoiler

sneak.png

April Fools.

Siege weapon testing
Siege testing on the test servers continues, with several changes already in, and battering rams now added! There's been a lot of work on improving how catapults and trebuchets work, improving the usefulness of archery towers and turrets, and now battering rams have been added to testing.
I've been building some test scenarios for the weekend of testing, including deed walls and token pits, so make sure to jump on and check it out!
Full thread can be found here:

New pavement
Along with the new walls, is new pavement! Adding to the potential pavement list is Slate slabs (existing slate slabs will be changed to slate brick tiles), sandstone brick and slab tiles, marble brick tiles, and pottery brick tiles. This means a lot more new options for decorating your deed, and making your place truly unique!

Cave dwelling changes
Of course, some have asked about how the additional houses will have any effect on underground housing, and the answer is, yes!
With this update all housing options will be available for underground dwellings, meaning you can build your underground village just how you want it!

Dredging changes
Also in an upcoming patch, we'll be improving dredging with some long desired changes. Dredging will now have an option to flatten or level tiles, and also dredging will deposit dirt straight into your boat! This will only work if there's space in the dredge, but these two changes will definitely make dredging a lot easier!

Hedges
Removing hedges will become a lot easier next update, with the ability to cut down a hedge with an axe! The damage dealt will be dependent on the ql and height of the hedge, but should improve removing those pesky remains from fallen deeds.

Community Content

This weeks community content is another video by kaydawg, with his video of setting up in Wurm online. I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction and will definitely be waiting for more!

Spoiler

A close second is the timelapse video of MootRed's new deed, i have a special spot for timelapse videos, they really show just how much can be done in the game!

Spoiler

that's it for this week from us, we're working towards a big update with a lot of awesome changes, so stay tuned!
Until then though, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 25

40-50 hits well that makes sandstone walls about out of reach unless you mine out the whole server. 

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

New pavement
Along with the new walls, is new pavement! Adding to the potential pavement list is Slate slabs (existing slate slabs will be changed to slave brick tiles), sandstone brick and slab tiles, marble brick tiles, and pottery brick tiles. This means a lot more new options for decorating your deed, and making your place truly unique!

good one right there ;)

grats Samool. and awesome changes on allowing all building types inside mines. finally no more grey on grey inside our dwarfen fortress.

Aye, seems like sandstone will not be a common thing in buildings.

Dredging: yes!

Please give us a better way to raise dirt piles also, I'm currently working at a slope of 1250 under sea level.

And please let us dredge deeper than 300 slope.

If i buy a transmutation rod will sandstone be an option and will it have the 10k hits? 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Arium said:

good one right there ;)

grats Samool. and awesome changes on allowing all building types inside mines. finally no more grey on grey inside our dwarfen fortress.

Ye ain't no true dwarf if ye ain't got grey as yer favourite colour.

• Like 7

Exactly how many sandstone bricks will a wall require?

Big grats to Sam for joining the devs team, he was always one of the nicest and most helpful people I worked with!

About chopping hedges, will be there a specific permission for it on deed, not shared with something else? Because I would have to remove (for example) allies cutting trees if hedges would fall under the same category, since most of my pens are hedge based.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Exactly how many sandstone bricks will a wall require?

Spoiler

20 sandstone bricks and 20 mortar for a house wall

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Dredging changes
Also in an upcoming patch, we'll be improving dredging with some long desired changes. Dredging will now have an option to flatten or level tiles, and also dredging will deposit dirt straight into your boat! This will only work if there's space in the dredge, but these two changes will definitely make dredging a lot easier!

Huh? If it deposits into the boat how could there not be room in the dredge?

• Like 3

Nice pic of the affliction deed. :D

\o/    battering rams    \o/ 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Cave dwelling changes
Of course, some have asked about how the additional houses will have any effect on underground housing, and the answer is, yes!
With this update all housing options will be available for underground dwellings, meaning you can build your underground village just how you want it!

Topic up for 57 minutes and still no reply from @JakeRivers? Madness!! :P

Anyways, awesome things to look forward to, really liking the dredging update.

• Like 1

How lovely ^_^

"Lots of new things I cannot make or interact with and the things I can make are now flimsier." - My first thoughts

"The giant hedge I spent months planting to keep my forest populated with wild deer and unicorns is now easily removable." - My second thoughts

"Oh well, at least others will be happy I guess?" - My final thought

• Like 1

" slave brick tiles "

That doesn't seem appropriate. :D

1 minute ago, Etherdrifter said:

"The giant hedge I spent months planting to keep my forest populated with wild deer and unicorns is now easily removable." - My second thoughts

anyone who would  cut it down would be able to prune it anyways

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Very true, the impact is likely minimal.

Will priests be able to remove hedges as well?

Will pottery floors be changed (or given new options) to match the type of brick that the new brick walls will have? As-is, they would clash pretty severely.

What about having the parapets upgraded in the same type as the new walls?

• Like 7

Congrats to Samool! :) 

Interesting features coming up... just few hours ago someone dredging said in the alliance chat that he'd wish all the dirt would go to the ship instead of inventory. Well, he got his wish to come true quicker than none of us thought in the alliance. :D 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

pruning is a separate permission than cutting down on deed perms

nice update, fun police on vacation?

8)

Edited by JakeRivers

Won't you need a very large amount of sandstone tiles to build any structure out of sandstone this way? Why is it being implemented differently from marble and slate?

And how will this work with a transmutation rod? Will that result in a tile with 10k sandstone, or will sandstone not even be an option?

Great to hear about the dredging changes and the new pavement options :)