Theodein

poll
Third person view, Yes or No?

Third person view, Yes or No?   103 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you want a third person view in Wurm Online?

    • Yes
      57
    • No
      46

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 posts in this topic

I voted 'No' even though I realize the view choice would be optional.  The desire is not to restrict the gameplay of others, but to maintain the "stuck-in-body" restrictive (immersive) aspect of the game.

 

I would rather prefer an improved first-person view; allowing a way to look around with your head independent from the direction you are walking.  This would be similar to the ability to look around freely when mounted, except with a limited range of motion for your head (even though you can do 360o while riding). I use the 'glance left/right' commands very often, but I could really benefit from a mouse-controlled direction of view without turning my body.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote 3rd person camera but it want make a diff cause WO has always been under pvp control so close this thread cause after 9 years following wurm this topic is old and useless cause it always gets meet with the same fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arkonick said:

I vote 3rd person camera but it want make a diff cause WO has always been under pvp control so close this thread cause after 9 years following wurm this topic is old and useless cause it always gets meet with the same fate.

 

I will not close this thread. It currently needs to adjust according to a bit of PvP yes, that does not exclude third person though. Everyone saying there will be a problem but I don't really think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be cool if we could easily and quickly switch between them

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was on Wu for awhile as an experimental setting, worked really well but the main issue at the time was the clipping issue and abuse concern on pve and PvP maps. PvP is more obvious but both server types can have issues with it.  

 

If we have a dev saying they would add it if those would work proper then there would be no reason to exclude the "option" for it.  

 

My point I'll add, in RL we would maintain shapes and not be able to walk through another player, so the argument against third person being situational awareness seems moot when you wouldn't be so lost in combat if 10-20 things wouldn't occupy one or two tiles simultaneously.  TLDR, if we can walk through things then 3rd person can is an awesome outlet for that, if we maintain space and cannot collide anymore then the situational awareness argument does hold up, but both cannot be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its safe to dismiss all the people voting -no, since hey claim they would vote yes if it was an option, or restricted in PvP.  So, all thats left is to hear from the devs to give an ETA.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im on the fence on this one, i tried playing gears of war i think it was, and it was only 3rd person, needless to say it didnt last long. i like the idea of being able to switch between 1st and 3rd 1st when you are walking etc, and 3rd when crafting or something, both have their advantages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rathgar said:

I think its safe to dismiss all the people voting -no, since hey claim they would vote yes if it was an option, or restricted in PvP.  So, all thats left is to hear from the devs to give an ETA.

 

On 4/1/2017 at 1:17 PM, Meldichoir said:

I voted 'No' even though I realize the view choice would be optional.  The desire is not to restrict the gameplay of others, but to maintain the "stuck-in-body" restrictive (immersive) aspect of the game.

 

No, not everyone is confused by the wording of the poll.  Some people value certain elements of difficulty.  This argument is not about 'unfair advantages' due to enhanced (unnatural) vision, but about maintaining the mandatory hardships that many of us actually cherish.  You are inside your body looking out through your eyes, just like as you are reading this post at this moment!

 

In the non-poll version of this thread there are people who say their friends won't play Wurm because of the first-person perspective... if they can't even tolerate that then I really don't think they would tolerate much of the rest of the game.  Sounds like they give up on things quickly.  I mean, how long did they even try the game?  (no offense intended to those people)

 

When I first started playing Wurm the controls felt very awkward to say the least.  After some practice and keybinds the gameplay can become so fluid and natural that you can move about and perform all actions with minimal effort.  It is my personal opinion that the challenges and hurdles included with this game serve as a filter to sort out the more casual types;  they should try WU.  It might be a good idea to make a third version of this thread in the Modding Requests board so that those people who won't play Wurm can finally give it a chance.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't vote because: Don't care; would never use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

Didn't vote because: Don't care; would never use.

 

I admire your huge contribution to this topic.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 3/31/2017 at 9:43 AM, Budda said:

 

No it wasn't. It's on test, yes - it was never live.

I know you already corrected yourself but

like sme said it was live for all of like 12 hours one day years ago

 

specifically it was a checkbox under options in the launch window that said like "Third Person View" and was unchecked by default

Edited by Cornchips
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 2:14 PM, Meldichoir said:

 

 

No, not everyone is confused by the wording of the poll.  Some people value certain elements of difficulty.  This argument is not about 'unfair advantages' due to enhanced (unnatural) vision, but about maintaining the mandatory hardships that many of us actually cherish.  You are inside your body looking out through your eyes, just like as you are reading this post at this moment!

 

In the non-poll version of this thread there are people who say their friends won't play Wurm because of the first-person perspective... if they can't even tolerate that then I really don't think they would tolerate much of the rest of the game.  Sounds like they give up on things quickly.  I mean, how long did they even try the game?  (no offense intended to those people)

 

When I first started playing Wurm the controls felt very awkward to say the least.  After some practice and keybinds the gameplay can become so fluid and natural that you can move about and perform all actions with minimal effort.  It is my personal opinion that the challenges and hurdles included with this game serve as a filter to sort out the more casual types;  they should try WU.  It might be a good idea to make a third version of this thread in the Modding Requests board so that those people who won't play Wurm can finally give it a chance.

 

 

I understand that the 3rd person view issue is probable the smallest factor when it comes to player retention, but theres no need to force the game to be as unplayable as possible just to prove the endurance of newcomers against the game.  In fact, all ideas that dont affect the core of the game, that helps make the game a bit more aproachable, a bit user friendlier, should be considered.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, Cornchips said:

I know you already corrected yourself but

like sme said it was live for all of like 12 hours one day years ago

 

specifically it was a checkbox under options in the launch window that said like "Third Person View" and was unchecked by default

 

Oh, how splendid! You have a bunch of screenshots. Looks like a whole different type of MMO , I'm sure a lot of players will be more interested if the "media" under website contained a few of those, same goes for youtube videos etc.

Come on Devs! Let's do it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes, 

This is a feature I've always craved simply because It's an MMO... and who does not want to look at their character besides inside a window? Maybe even an open to circle the camera around your character without movement would work for me, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that would love to take more cinematic screenshots without having to use multiple accounts.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The screenshots posted by @Cornchipsare very cool.  Thanks for those.

 

I'm not voting on this, largely because I'm not sure of the timing.

 

A new UI is in the works.  PvP is going to get an overhaul.

 

While I think 3rd person is a cool idea and does seem to be fairly commonplace in MMO's today, I'm concerned it would have a negative effect on features currently in-progress.  I would hate to see those current efforts handicapped from the get-go on account of implementing 3rd person view right now.

 

To me, that would imply 3rd person would either need to come first so that pvp and UI changes etc. can be done with 3rd person in mind.  Not sure it'd be wise to delay ongoing features though.

Otherwise, stay the course, release the upcoming features, tweak them, let the dust settle, and then revisit 3rd person later.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what of sneaking up on someone for some sweet stabbity goodness?

 

Or being able to "peek" around corners?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Klaa said:

But what of sneaking up on someone for some sweet stabbity goodness?

 

Or being able to "peek" around corners?

 

As of right now, all of that is very much possible already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm not for a 3rd person view, but an idea if it ever does get added would be to make 3rd person view more like when you press a hotkey the camera could jump up above you and you can look left and right up to 3 seconds.  This hotkey could be used once every 10 seconds.

 

Was playing a bomberman mini game where you can only see your little area your standing in, but when press a hotkey you can see 30% more of the map for a few seconds to figure out which way you want to go.  So makes it not a full feature you can use all the time, but nice to see around you from an angle above you every so often to see what's going on around you.

 

There's also a hotkey to look left and right while standing straight in the game already I just remembered.  Wonder if that moves your head.  Be cool if it did.

Edited by nicedreams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I'm not for a 3rd person view, but an idea if it ever does get added would be to make 3rd person view more like when you press a hotkey the camera could jump up above you and you can look left and right up to 3 seconds.  This hotkey could be used once every 10 seconds.

 

Was playing a bomberman mini game where you can only see your little area your standing in, but when press a hotkey you can see 30% more of the map for a few seconds to figure out which way you want to go.  So makes it not a full feature you can use all the time, but nice to see around you from an angle above you every so often to see what's going on around you.

 

There's also a hotkey to look left and right while standing straight in the game already I just remembered.  Wonder if that moves your head.  Be cool if it did.

 

That would ruin the entire third person idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for keybind/option to turn 3rd person on pve

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-04-13 at 11:58 AM, Finnn said:

+1 for keybind/option to turn 3rd person on pve

 

Agree , or attach to mouse scroll.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would be perfectly happy with a better character view for selfies :P, I mean look back at April fools day you couldn't even see the full gnome in the character screen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Farmboy102 said:

I personally would be perfectly happy with a better character view for selfies :P, I mean look back at April fools day you couldn't even see the full gnome in the character screen.

 

 

 

Haha , yeah that was a bit wierd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have talked to a few persons recently that tried Wurm and quit very quickly due to issues with first person perspective.  One even said it induced vertigo.

 

I think a 3rd person perspective OPTION would bring a lot of positive attention to Wurm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now