Sign in to follow this  
Theodein

Third person view, Yes or No?

Third person view, Yes or No?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a third person view in Wurm Online?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/20/2017 at 8:02 AM, newman330 said:

I have talked to a few persons recently that tried Wurm and quit very quickly due to issues with first person perspective.  One even said it induced vertigo.

I think a 3rd person perspective OPTION would bring a lot of positive attention to Wurm

Completely agree. Some of my friends say it makes them feel dizzy and sometimes even a bit sick.

I voted yes, as having motion sickness, I have times I cannot even login, due to 1st person. My boyfriend had to take care of everything for one and a half month last time, whilst I slowly got over whatever bug had worsened stuff for me. :( But 3rd person would help me - and others like me - a lot  :) 

• Like 1

I'm assuming most everyone that wants 3rd person view from other MMOs and don't play FPS (first person shooter) games.  First person is so popular that PUBG (Player Unknown Battlegrounds) which used to default 3rd person view now has a First Person only mode because it draws you into the game more, but mainly when playing against others it removed the edge of being able to look around corners giving an advantage depending on your location.

I for one am fine with 1st person only mode.  I feel like "I am the character" and when I play 3rd person in other MMOs I feel like "I'm playing a character".

If people won't try Wurm because of the view then so be it.  These are the same people that won't play Wurm because they can't customize their character like "Black Desert Online" so I'm not worried about it.  Sounds like the first excuse to the next excuse not to like the game.  It felt weird for me at first too, but after a week I started liking it more and now would never want to see myself in 3rd person.

You mean I have to turn my character to see what's behind me instead of the just the camera?!?!?!?!?!?!?!..................

• Like 4

On 3/31/2017 at 2:43 PM, Budda said:

No it wasn't. It's on test, yes - it was never live.

After seeing an old PvP raid video recently, all I could think was "How the hell do you see people in this mass of horses" - 3rd person would make that a hell of a lot more legible - though that alone would likely spawn a huge debate. I also briefly had a play around with a top down view at one point which I think would work quite well for Wurm - though both 3rd person and top down views would need a fair bit of work to make them actually work well - making it so the camera doesn't clip through walls or roofs etc.

the best thing about pvp is the first person view and the fact YOU CANT see all the people. I love John Snows battle of the bastards, gives you that kind of feeling, just mass brawling and hard to see [in a legit chaotic good way]

I would probably be turned off wurm if 3rd person came, 1st person is so intense. I mean, enemy behind you and you have to look around, can't just pan a camera angel, it's more deeper and complicated than what meets the eye, imo.

I -1 for a lot of reasons, i just feel it would change the core game for me in a way. The fact we're forced first person makes the game great for me. But I always played games like Arma 2 with camera off, more immersive. 
and I wouldn't like the option because ik i'd use first and i'd feel i was at a disadvantage for doing so, look at Elder Scrolls Online - when they announced it was also 3rd person people cried that nobody would use 1st, cause you're at a disadvantage. 

Edited by Mclavin

2 hours ago, Mclavin said:

can't just pan a camera angel, it's more deeper and complicated than what meets the eye, imo.

Actually, with drones and digital eyepieces it can't be long before real life loses this complication.  But this is a medieval simulation after all. 

I'm happy either way really.  I'd just love it if they'd let me use RIGHT-click to move the camera around like 90% of the other games out there.  Baby steps.

There should be a choice - if you want it great - if not, disable.

I don't really like the idea of third-person in Wurm.

I understand the advantages, but it adds a weird metagamey element to it, where you'd have the incentive to manipulate the camera around in order to see over things, select items, etc. and that's just not an element of gameplay I'm interested in the game having.

• Like 1

Wurm is not designed for 3rd person, the entire games graphical design would have to be reworked.

It was extremely brief to the point I always thought it was unintended. 

From what I remember about the camera, it could go into a 3rd person mode, but the individual I know who tested that during that period found that essentially the camera that we look through in first person is also the interact for us personally. We are the camera.

When the camera has the ability to move without the player moving it can examine, and effect the area it is near while the model remains still.

From my understanding anyway.

7 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Wurm is not designed for 3rd person, the entire games graphical design would have to be reworked.

There is already a 3rd person mode.  It was once enabled for april fools.  

In my decompiled client I had a bug that enabled it again.  I fixed it, but it didn't seem to actually cause ingame issues besides that.  Turning your 3rd person camera angle also turned your player.  It was like when you're zoomed out behind your character in elder scrolls.

16 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

There is already a 3rd person mode.  It was once enabled for april fools.  

In my decompiled client I had a bug that enabled it again.  I fixed it, but it didn't seem to actually cause ingame issues besides that.  Turning your 3rd person camera angle also turned your player.  It was like when you're zoomed out behind your character in elder scrolls.

Check the post directly above. 

If you can replicate that situation I would really like to see it, genuinely.

Edited by FranktheTank

4 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Check the post directly above. 

If you can replicate that situation I would really like to see it, genuinely.

I did read that post before I posted my response.  

Maybe I didn't understand what you mean.

31 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

I did read that post before I posted my response.  

Maybe I didn't understand what you mean.

So basically the camera in the game is you, that is how you interact, like most game design.

The model of the character itself is not relevant, for the individual playing, only relevant in that it is attached to the model that other player see and interact with.

From what I understand by the last individual using the 3rd person camera, they found it can be detached from the model, and interact with the area around it as if it is the person. 

Essentially go up to walls and check damage and whatnot, while the model was stationary. 

• Like 1

aye, sounds right. you could turn on the spot with the keyboard as to give you some extra degree of camera control but there was no (free mounted) camera.
it is difficult to remember im told it only lasted half a week on live.

Edited by Steveleeb

18 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

So basically the camera in the game is you, that is how you interact, like most game design.

The model of the character itself is not relevant, for the individual playing, only relevant in that it is attached to the model that other player see and interact with.

From what I understand by the last individual using the 3rd person camera, they found it can be detached from the model, and interact with the area around it as if it is the person. 

Essentially go up to walls and check damage and whatnot, while the model was stationary. 

When i was doing it, the camera was positioned above and behind the character slightly over one shoulder, but still constrained to the player.  Turning the camera angle would turn the player.  The way you select things in the world is by using your cursor as a picker.  It still worked fine in 3rd person.  

What you are describing sounds like some sort of bug where the camera and player became detached from the player model

That gif of nightmare wurm that i posted somewhere shows how the third person was working, although with a ton of other unrelated bugs at the time, so just ignore that and look at the third person aspect bc i was swimming around and looking around with it

Edit: sorry that the only gif i have of it includes the world render and ui render bugs, but this should give you some idea of how the 3rd person was working

421e4bbeef73e44fc003be7b304808e2.gif

I personally feel like third person would immerse you in your character more because you would actually see it

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 1

Oh yeah not saying that there shouldn't be a Third Person, as long as it functions correctly go for it.