Sign in to follow this  
revann1

Looking to hire Modder for innovative server

Recommended Posts

Hello there, a lot of people think wurm is dying, I think otherwise, I think a good mod can bring wurm unlimited to its golden age, just as dayz Brang Arma II so much more players.

 

 

 

which comes to my point,  I'm planning on opening a Hyper Realism Server in the near future (1-2 months after all mods are developed) where there will be

 

1) Permadeath after 5 deaths

 

2) Marriage & marriage bonuses

 

3) Woohooing(the sims) & pregnancy

 

4) NPCs spawning as descendants in your home untill another player spawns as the NPC

5) being able to spawn/start as a descendant of another player by choosing the option & taking over their "NPC Descendant"

 

6) being able to Lock your descendant for your use only & be able to spawn as your own descendant when your original char permadies. Your descendant playing as you will have x2 skill ramps for your past character's life.

 

7) there are a lot of ideas for this heavily modded server, as well as a lot of loopholes to fill. But these are some so the modder knows the level of difficulty this will be. 

 

 

If your your interested in getting paid to mod, let me know :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are looking for someone to mod "the sims" into wurm?

 

This might just be me... but if someone has the time to make that many changes to wurm-unlimited they may as well create their own new game. I'm not quite sure if you realise how much you are asking for here. How much are you hiring for? Do you have any coding experience yourself or any experience running servers or wurm servers? Do you have anyone else in your team?

 

I am a modder by the way. But more curious at this point for more information and working out whether or not this is just a joke or a pipedream or if you are actually serious and know what you are doing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah not going to happen, it would take a team of programmers to achieve this and impo it would wreck wurm.. so -1 sorry dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see how this could be done, but I'm curious how much you think this is likely to cost (or how much you're looking to pay, come to that)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, let's go take a look at this request. As a developer by profession I can probably tell you how likely you are to receive support with your request(s).

 

1 is very well possible and not too difficult to achieve. A perma-death is never too difficult to program into a game... although honestly in a game like Wurm I personally don't understand why you'd want it.

 

2 would be a new feature but could be done fairly easily. It's a new mechanic but none that would require severe modification of anything, you'd simply use existing mechanics to create a new status (marriage) and the associated benefits.

 

3 well, if you're looking to "breed" humans like the rest of the animals, sure. If you're looking for a visible animation and/or pregnancy looks on females... good luck finding someone because that would require a LOT of new stuff, including animations (which are going to be fairly difficult to implement for most modders).

 

4 NPC's spawning as decendants.. yea, no problem. REPLACING said NPC automatically upon player spawn would be a lot more complicated... with Wurm mechanics I'm not sure it would be possible even. (Stuff is usually possible in some way but I think with this game it might be almost impossible to mod into it)

 

5 Being able to spawn as a descendant could probably be implemented by allowing one to choose parents upon registration and having the parents (or at least the mother) confirm their "spawn" as descendant before allowing the character to spawn. For the second part I'd have to repeat my concerns from the 4th point: Not sure if it's possible.

 

6 Connecting two characters by more than a name (for a skill ramp) could be a little tricky. Wurm isn't the kind of game that generally supports a lot of connections between the player characters. I guess there could be a type of "referral" upon permadeath to get that skill ramp going still, so not impossible. Not sure what you mean with "lock your descendants for your use". The way I'd imagine that working nobody can just spawn as your descendant without your approval. That just wouldn't make sense.

 

7 Shoot me your ideas if you need feedback on anything. :) 

 

P.S.: Whoever you choose for your modder, keep one thing in mind: It's easy to think of new features you'd like implemented but in some ways, modding can be even more difficult than creating a game from scratch; instead of basing your game on whichever features you want to focus on, you are hereby forced to work with pre-existing conditions, mechanics and restrictions which you aren't always able to bypass. As someone who's hiring someone to mod your server, I assume that your experience with programming and modding is limited, so the important thing to keep in mind when you hire someone: BE PATIENT. A mod of the dimensions you're asking for isn't something a single developer can throw together in a month. It will take its time, there will have to be a lot of communication and there will be setbacks and errors. Encourage your modder to continue rather than abandoning him or focusing on delays or mistakes. These things happen... to all of us.

 

P.P.S.: Be very careful when you hire someone for money. Only pay for work that has been completed - do NOT pay in advance, especially not to someone you don't already know. In every community there are those who jump on the opportunity of easy money by pretending to work on something but never showing you results - and believe me, some people are REALLY good at it. Just make sure you're not being ripped off. Also, make sure you get a contract established that signs over the rights to the mod after payment if you're looking for an exclusive mod. Otherwise modders might consider selling it to others, making your point of hiring them for what I believe is supposed to be an exclusive mod, quite meaningless.

 

Best of luck, feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Iberis said:

So you are looking for someone to mod "the sims" into wurm?

 

This might just be me... but if someone has the time to make that many changes to wurm-unlimited they may as well create their own new game. I'm not quite sure if you realise how much you are asking for here. How much are you hiring for? Do you have any coding experience yourself or any experience running servers or wurm servers? Do you have anyone else in your team?

 

I am a modder by the way. But more curious at this point for more information and working out whether or not this is just a joke or a pipedream or if you are actually serious and know what you are doing.

I appreciate your skepticism, the more information I can give out the better.

 

1) the hiring depends on the negotiations

 

2) i have experience in running servers, websites, and other experience that I consider myself qualified for this project.

 

3) developers outside of wurm from previous projects, but I need an inside modder who knows the game.

 

4) it's not a joke

 

5) it was a pipe dream about 5-7 months ago, but as I waited for games like my idea to pop up, with nothing popping up, I decided once my rl business gets stable, I might open a unique WU server, now, it's officially in Planning, consider this post as the announcement.

 

6) in terms of when modding, no, I do not know what I'm doing, but That won't stop me either lol, which is why I need inside boys who do know. 

 

 

Thanks for the Qs, feel free to drop any more ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yldrania said:

Alright, let's go take a look at this request. As a developer by profession I can probably tell you how likely you are to receive support with your request(s).

 

1 is very well possible and not too difficult to achieve. A perma-death is never too difficult to program into a game... although honestly in a game like Wurm I personally don't understand why you'd want it.

 

2 would be a new feature but could be done fairly easily. It's a new mechanic but none that would require severe modification of anything, you'd simply use existing mechanics to create a new status (marriage) and the associated benefits.

 

3 well, if you're looking to "breed" humans like the rest of the animals, sure. If you're looking for a visible animation and/or pregnancy looks on females... good luck finding someone because that would require a LOT of new stuff, including animations (which are going to be fairly difficult to implement for most modders).

 

4 NPC's spawning as decendants.. yea, no problem. REPLACING said NPC automatically upon player spawn would be a lot more complicated... with Wurm mechanics I'm not sure it would be possible even. (Stuff is usually possible in some way but I think with this game it might be almost impossible to mod into it)

 

5 Being able to spawn as a descendant could probably be implemented by allowing one to choose parents upon registration and having the parents (or at least the mother) confirm their "spawn" as descendant before allowing the character to spawn. For the second part I'd have to repeat my concerns from the 4th point: Not sure if it's possible.

 

6 Connecting two characters by more than a name (for a skill ramp) could be a little tricky. Wurm isn't the kind of game that generally supports a lot of connections between the player characters. I guess there could be a type of "referral" upon permadeath to get that skill ramp going still, so not impossible. Not sure what you mean with "lock your descendants for your use". The way I'd imagine that working nobody can just spawn as your descendant without your approval. That just wouldn't make sense.

 

7 Shoot me your ideas if you need feedback on anything. :) 

 

P.S.: Whoever you choose for your modder, keep one thing in mind: It's easy to think of new features you'd like implemented but in some ways, modding can be even more difficult than creating a game from scratch; instead of basing your game on whichever features you want to focus on, you are hereby forced to work with pre-existing conditions, mechanics and restrictions which you aren't always able to bypass. As someone who's hiring someone to mod your server, I assume that your experience with programming and modding is limited, so the important thing to keep in mind when you hire someone: BE PATIENT. A mod of the dimensions you're asking for isn't something a single developer can throw together in a month. It will take its time, there will have to be a lot of communication and there will be setbacks and errors. Encourage your modder to continue rather than abandoning him or focusing on delays or mistakes. These things happen... to all of us.

 

P.P.S.: Be very careful when you hire someone for money. Only pay for work that has been completed - do NOT pay in advance, especially not to someone you don't already know. In every community there are those who jump on the opportunity of easy money by pretending to work on something but never showing you results - and believe me, some people are REALLY good at it. Just make sure you're not being ripped off. Also, make sure you get a contract established that signs over the rights to the mod after payment if you're looking for an exclusive mod. Otherwise modders might consider selling it to others, making your point of hiring them for what I believe is supposed to be an exclusive mod, quite meaningless.

 

Best of luck, feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

 

Thanks, this post was incredibly helpful, yeah the replacing NPCs will be an obstacle, but we may never know untill we try yes?? Sending you PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a game coming with those features. It isn't as in depth as wurm for the building/terraforming etc, but it does have you grow old, you die, you then start over as your own decendant. It is something of elysia or something like that. I dunno I peaked at it, not for me, but seems to be what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xyp said:

There is a game coming with those features. It isn't as in depth as wurm for the building/terraforming etc, but it does have you grow old, you die, you then start over as your own decendant. It is something of elysia or something like that. I dunno I peaked at it, not for me, but seems to be what you want.

 

q4 2017 the MUD comes out, im a count backer :D,  its where i got the ideas & inspiration, but the game will take years to fully develop, meanwhile all the people waiting for that game would flood this server if its done right, alot of backers waiting for Chronicles of Elyria with spare $$ wanting to play a game similiar to it while the years pass by for CoE to come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

which is why I need inside boys who do know.

 

Maybe I'm not right for you then because some modders are actually girls :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this