Sign in to follow this  
Horsch

Wurm Population Status Problem Solving.

15 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

Both chaos and freedom benefit from each other but not many really see that. 

Wrong, PvE servers can sustain themselves without a single issue. Most of us PvEers wouldnt even notice it if Chaos was permanently separated or deleted. Except for less cases of grief on our servers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

free to play games also have premium currency which is ONLY purchaseable through them.

They rely on a minority who pays hand over fist for ingame cosmetics and whatever else is sold via their premium item shops and do not allow player to player sales of premium currency in order to be the only one profiting off it. They also become quite pay to win in the simple fact they need to continue to generate revenue and reasons for people to purchase things, some games outright sell high level character creation kits and damage boosts.

I'm fairly positive that removing a subscription fee and disallowing player sales of silver would be a bad move.

EDIT; NOT GOOD MOVE, BAD MOVE.

The first part is true, back to the 80/20 proportionality of revenue generation. The second part...well, that's a statement for someone running a business in the early 2000's. Time to increase that knowledge about revenue generation, if you want...

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

Wrong, PvE servers can sustain themselves without a single issue. Most of us PvEers wouldnt even notice it if Chaos was permanently separated or deleted. Except for less cases of grief on our servers.

I want to reply to your and I don't know how to spell his name but he also commented similarly and I don't want to butcher his name... 

You are not realizing how much pvpers buy from pve. No one is arguing the fact most likely both servers could sustain themselves but the benefits from being connected severely outweigh what the outcome would be if they were disconnected. I'm sure others can weight in on that a bit more.

You are looking at an aspect of losing uniques to pvpers I can assure you being connected to PvP server is not the issue there... The reason why PvP groups are so dominate at finding penning and killing uniques in a timely and quick fashion is because they are used to playing in a larger tight knit community setting where there are a lot more hands helping out. No one can fault groups like that. (look at the pve release alliance they I think are one of the more successful pve groups with the same abilities)

There are still a lot that pve benefits from pvpers by means of weapons armor enchants... Yes there are plenty on PvP that are self sustained but when those in that position still lay down big money in purchase directly from pve. 

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 5:03 PM, Horsch said:

I agree. Changing a PVE server into a PVP server is effectively wiping the server.  It shouldn't be ever changed from a PVE to PVP.

Again, I don't recall mentioning making PVE servers into PVP ones and I agree that shouldn't be done, if I did then I'm sorry for the confusion.  I do believe I mentioned making PVP home servers have some safe areas that are non-PVP to encourage PVE players to join them.  I'm going to reread over all my posts to confirm though.

Sorry if I misunderstood your posts.

I believe community is important because otherwise you wouldn't have a reason to build things in Wurm.  You wouldn't have a reason to want to kill other players, or raid them.  You wouldn't have any reason at all to go grind your skills.  I believe community is important because that's ultimately what drives every single player to play Wurm Online.  If it was just you playing, you'd be playing Wurm Unlimited on your own server, by yourself.  Simple as that.

I do not build things in Wurm for anyone else but myself. I build things in Wurm because it pleases me to create and express myself in a virtual artistic way for my own enjoyment, and I do not seek others appreciation, approval, or validation... in fact I don't even want it. My opinions and worldviews are so different from 99% of everyone else that there are few that I would find anything in common with to base a relationship on, even in Wurm, so I don't seek community and play the game for personal reasons alone.... and as such the opinions of most others as to what my deed should look like, of if it looks good to them, are meaningless simply because their values and ideals are so different than my own.

Players can and do grief others alone... without the assistance of friends... simply because they derive pleasure from doing so (schadenfreude). They find all the reason they need to do what they will. I do not agree with this sort of motivation but I know exactly where it comes from and why some participate in it, and Wurm encourages it to a certain degree as does many online games.

I have all the reason I need to grind my skills... myself and what I want to be able to do in the game. That's enough.

Community is not what brought me to Wurm. I came to play in this virtual sandbox where I can build and do many things in a virtual sense that I will never be able to do in real life, and I reshape it and do it again a different way. I get my community from real life.

I will not play Wurm Unlimited at all under any circumstances as long as STEAM is affiliated with it or WU requires STEAM client, for reasons I stated elsewhere and will not repeat here. Your statement "you'd be playing Wurm Unlimited" will never apply to me since the Devs have made it quite clear WU will always be a STEAM software product (requires STEAM to run it). I will continue to play Wurm alone in Wurm Online thank you.

You're right though, we do have access to every skill and there is no limit to how many skills each character can gain (besides obviously the max 100).  But community is what strives each one of us to improve our accounts or make uber cool items or even houses or deeds!  Someone in this thread mentioned that they used Wurm Unlimited to test how their house or deed would look, so they could build it in Wurm Online.  Not just for themselves, because that person just did it in Wurm Unlimited, that is for themselves, it was for the community!

I do not gain skills because the "community" wishes me to do so, nor do I announce on kchat when I complete a skill gain goal. I congratulate others that say they reached 70 BS (or whatever), but I do this to be polite is all, nothing more. I do not raise my character skills/improve my character for community approval or for selling it as I will not sell characters/accounts. I do not see any value in "uber cool items". A cool item to me is a tool I made myself that I can repair myself by my own virtual hand. I do not care one iota what my neighbor thinks of my deed nor should I care, likewise I have no right to care what my neighbor does on their deed, it not my concern.

Restriction of player abilities might increase cooperation, but not community and it differs between PVE and PVP servers too.  Yes, Wurm discourages community by how the standards are now on the servers.  I think because of the lopsided communities on the Epic cluster, is what discourages players to stay and play on the Epic cluster, or being apart of the losing side.  Freedom PVE servers seem to have alright sized populations, as far as where everyone is located, I have no clue though what those groups look like.

Cooperation, even forced cooperation like in real life, can be the beginning of community. This community you seem to think exists won't mean much in a game where it's just for politics and not need. Need is a far better reason to work with someone than many of the other reasons often promoted on these boards, such as money or envy or pride.

I think it can be fixed, it just takes in-depth questioning of players to discover the true nature of the beast.

I never mentioned ending any players way of playing the game.  I completely agree that if PVP servers were turned into PVE and or PVE servers turned into PVP, would end lots of players subscriptions.  It's not what they subscribed too.  But also at the same time, players have to realize, that games are meant to evolve and change and not by turning PVP into PVE or vise-versa, but change and evolve by adding new things, or completely changing things up to keep the game interesting like they just allowed all kingdoms the ability to be any player made god they want, right?  That's an amazing change, but at the same time, it completely removes restrictions of players having limitations to kingdom specific gods.  That was a much needed change in my opinion but also makes certain other gods obsolete.  That's where changes need to continue to occur, by making use of those obsolete things and making them useful again to keep things interesting and always evolving!

Thank you for your reply. Sorry about misunderstanding some of what you wrote. I think it's quite obvious that how you and the majority plays Wurm is as alien and foreign to me as how my way of playing might seem to you. It is precisely why I do not participate with community in any online game, I would participate if I thought or discovered there are others that hold to what I hold to.

and I do not believe games are meant to evolve. Be fixed and balanced yes, but not all games should evolve. IMO too much is forced to change for the sake of change alone and not from real need for change.

Sorry for the messy formatting of this post, I am not very good with this sometimes.

Enjoy your time in Wurm and welcome back :)

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I'm fairly positive that removing a subscription fee and disallowing player sales of silver would be a bad move.

Most games ban account sales too, and we can see how positive an impact *that* has had on Wurm; it has caused an overabundance of high-level characters devaluing the achievement of such high skill levels.  Removing silver and account sales would cause a hit in player numbers; however, if Wurm's player base were large enough to endure this hit then the long-term health of the game would be FAR better.

My views on the subscription are simple; with it, we're going to see a continual decline in player numbers till it stabilises at the hardcore player level or bottoms out if this is below social critical mass; without it, we're walking into unknown territory financially speaking which may well close the game if extremely unsuccessful.

There are no "good" moves to make, as every path is fraught with complication, but there are certainly bad ones.  The worst would be sitting down and doing nothing.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2017 at 6:35 PM, Angelklaine said:

You don't understand because you draw a line between pvpers and pvers. That line is imaginary, falsely created by people who want nothing to do with the PvP aspects of the game and who think it does not bring anything to their game experience.

I encourage you to read up or watch videos about Bartle's Taxonomy. It will explain in detail why this line of thinking is flawed 

Pvpers and pvers are not different classes of people. They are the same: Wurm players. Pvpers do not exclusively participate in PvP: we don't login, kill each other, then log out. Sure, some do, but that's not what PvP is all about. 

As a player like any other, I get bored doing the same repetitive thing over and over again. So I PvP today. Tomorrow? I go build a castle. The day after? I spend the afternoon doing deliveries all over the different islands. The next day? I imp swords for skill and make materials for the economy. All these things are part of my playstyle and I'd be damned if I have my content reduced.

Separating Chaos from Freedom would mean that people like me would get divested from my Wurm experience. I wouldn't be able to participate in the freedom market or I would be forced to abandon my PvP. Why? Having a PvP island in the freedom cluster bothers no one, as it is your choice if you want to go to Chaos or not.

Don't cut out your content options. That's not a smart thing to do.

Honestly, I was going off of what others in this thread have posted about them not wanting PVP at all associated with their PVE experience.  I have no problem myself with some PVE with PVP.  I even mentioned safe zones that are essentially PVE for PVP servers, and PVP'ers jumped down my throat about it.  PVE'ers even mistook my post for wanting to merge PVE servers onto PVP servers and make those safe zones for them, but being on a PVP server, and they jumped down my throat.  And I don't understand the last line you said.

14 hours ago, Eobersig said:

Aye, if I remember right the standard F2P game relies on the 80/20 rule (or maybe even 90/10):

• 80% of the players (the large majority) create only 20% of the revenue, by buying an occasional cosmetic item or a name change, but that's it. You can't keep the game running off these sales.
  • 20% of the players create 80% of the revenue however. That's the revenue that keeps the game running and pays the bills. That are players that buy damage boosts (triple damage potion anyone?), xp potions and powerful gear that is only available in the cash shop.

I don't think anyone wants Wurm to go down that path.

Honestly, I'm one of the 20% that would pay for premium options and in-game things and I usually am when they're worth it or when I can use them to sell for in-game currency that is used to buy things that I may need as well.  I know for a fact name changes would probably earn a pretty penny for this game. Probably also server transfers off of Epic to freedom, since Epic is a dead cluster.  I'm sure plenty of players would also pay for customized things in-game that won't drop.  I mean, I bet if you had special items, such as those no drop bags to hold 3 items or an 80ql pickaxe that can't be improved, but enchanted, would sell as well, I bet items like these would sell like hotcakes and provide newer players who are willing to pay, to get a great start and be kind of safe from the elements!  Could even sell a max of like 100 a month and limit it to a purchase of 1 per account per month to limit abuse of purchasing.  I mean, the ideas for things to sell in this game is endless.  Just ask the players that sell items in game.  It's endless.  And theirs ways they can be implemented so its not pay to win.  And if you think about it, this game is already pay to win.  Just buy someone's account.  That's the biggest pay to win feature any game can possibly have.

But we don't really know for sure what would or wouldn't end Wurm.  You can only go with the current trends of the amount of money that Wurm is making, and it's projected trend based off of history, and tell if a change is needed or not.  And since Wurm hasn't made that change yet, we can only assume Wurm isn't in trouble of being out of money.  At least I hope.

8 hours ago, geode said:

I do not build things in Wurm for anyone else but myself. I build things in Wurm because it pleases me to create and express myself in a virtual artistic way for my own enjoyment, and I do not seek others appreciation, approval, or validation... in fact I don't even want it. My opinions and worldviews are so different from 99% of everyone else that there are few that I would find anything in common with to base a relationship on, even in Wurm, so I don't seek community and play the game for personal reasons alone.... and as such the opinions of most others as to what my deed should look like, of if it looks good to them, are meaningless simply because their values and ideals are so different than my own.

Players can and do grief others alone... without the assistance of friends... simply because they derive pleasure from doing so (schadenfreude). They find all the reason they need to do what they will. I do not agree with this sort of motivation but I know exactly where it comes from and why some participate in it, and Wurm encourages it to a certain degree as does many online games.

I have all the reason I need to grind my skills... myself and what I want to be able to do in the game. That's enough.

Community is not what brought me to Wurm. I came to play in this virtual sandbox where I can build and do many things in a virtual sense that I will never be able to do in real life, and I reshape it and do it again a different way. I get my community from real life.

I will not play Wurm Unlimited at all under any circumstances as long as STEAM is affiliated with it or WU requires STEAM client, for reasons I stated elsewhere and will not repeat here. Your statement "you'd be playing Wurm Unlimited" will never apply to me since the Devs have made it quite clear WU will always be a STEAM software product (requires STEAM to run it). I will continue to play Wurm alone in Wurm Online thank you.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry about misunderstanding some of what you wrote. I think it's quite obvious that how you and the majority plays Wurm is as alien and foreign to me as how my way of playing might seem to you. It is precisely why I do not participate with community in any online game, I would participate if I thought or discovered there are others that hold to what I hold to.

and I do not believe games are meant to evolve. Be fixed and balanced yes, but not all games should evolve. IMO too much is forced to change for the sake of change alone and not from real need for change.

Sorry for the messy formatting of this post, I am not very good with this sometimes.

Enjoy your time in Wurm and welcome back :)

Hey, thanks for sharing your outlook on this, I really appreciate it and I understand.  I've had plenty of friends that play games just have the ability to do whatever they wanted.  To have the freedom to have no limits.  That's a reason i like Wurm as well.  I joined Wurm, not for the community, but because I had the ability to customize and build a house, my own plot of land, however I could imagine building it.  That's why i chose to play this game over any others at the time in 2014.  Most games had their own personal dimension houses, or pre built houses that you couldn't change the exterior at all, but only things inside.  No, I wanted something that wasn't just visible to me and highly customizable, I wanted something that was apart of the map, the map players play on, and I could do whatever I wanted to my plot of land, however I seen fit.  So yes, I sort of want others to be able to see my creation, that's why I initially started playing this game.  That, and it's a medieval type game which i also enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome back. Don't worry about the formatting, It's a lot better then any of my posts!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:
Spoiler

free to play games also have premium currency which is ONLY purchaseable through them.

They rely on a minority who pays hand over fist for ingame cosmetics and whatever else is sold via their premium item shops and do not allow player to player sales of premium currency in order to be the only one profiting off it. They also become quite pay to win in the simple fact they need to continue to generate revenue and reasons for people to purchase things, some games outright sell high level character creation kits and damage boosts.

Yup, many examples of what you're talking about.  Freemium does make it easier for players to give a game another shot, in a way.  No cost to redownloading and trying again... but not sure it really hooks anyone.  Nice for a visit but either people really want to play the game or they don't.  I could be in ESO, BDO, Planetside, etc. for free but instead, I'd rather pay the sub for Wurm.  (Own WU and could even be there)

Would be curious on your take regarding paid expansion packs.  Wurm gets some pretty big content expansions.  Second floors, bridges, cooking, etc.  For WO, it's necessary for everyone to be on the same page so I guess you can't necessarily charge for it but what about WU? 

Given the depth and quality of content upgrades, I'd certainly consider paying for it.  I already do that for Arma 3 so I can use stuff in the DayZ mod, and those expansions aren't half as impressive as what Wurm sometimes pulls off.

Perk to playing WO, guaranteed longevity of servers and free expansions w/ sub.  For WU, no sub, but want to join a server that has bought and installed the expansion, ya buy the expansion.  Not this pay once free-for-life deal... imho.

Sorry for the bold, just trying to make it easier to skim rather than read.

16 minutes ago, Horsch said:

Spoiler

Honestly, I'm one of the 20% that would pay for premium options and in-game things and I usually am when they're worth it or when I can use them to sell for in-game currency that is used to buy things that I may need as well.  I know for a fact name changes would probably earn a pretty penny for this game. Probably also server transfers off of Epic to freedom, since Epic is a dead cluster.  I'm sure plenty of players would also pay for customized things in-game that won't drop.  I mean, I bet if you had special items, such as those no drop bags to hold 3 items or an 80ql pickaxe that can't be improved, but enchanted, would sell as well, I bet items like these would sell like hotcakes and provide newer players who are willing to pay, to get a great start and be kind of safe from the elements!  Could even sell a max of like 100 a month and limit it to a purchase of 1 per account per month to limit abuse of purchasing.  I mean, the ideas for things to sell in this game is endless.  Just ask the players that sell items in game.  It's endless.  And theirs ways they can be implemented so its not pay to win.  And if you think about it, this game is already pay to win.  Just buy someone's account.  That's the biggest pay to win feature any game can possibly have.

But we don't really know for sure what would or wouldn't end Wurm.  You can only go with the current trends of the amount of money that Wurm is making, and it's projected trend based off of history, and tell if a change is needed or not.  And since Wurm hasn't made that change yet, we can only assume Wurm isn't in trouble of being out of money.  At least I hope.

There are definitely a lot of things that would sell on a cash shop, but I think it would really be too much of a change to the very essence of Wurm Online, and why those who fall in love with it do.  Just about everything is craftable and available.  There are exceptions, but they are few, and they are (afaik) loyalty rewards for large swaths of the community.

Wurm's model may seem old-school.  It doesn't have that more glitzy feel of BDO, for example, with their cash shop.  However, I love the fact that I pay my sub and shazam, the game is accessible in whole.  What anyone can do, I can do if I put in the time.  It feels more authentic to me.  I could buy silver, and buy an 80ql pickaxe from a player.  Or, I can do what I prefer and live my way through wurm acquiring that special axe more organically.

Wurm Unlimited is a great place to experiment with all these things.  Servers with safe zones, buying a guard tower/clay tile/tar tile from a cash shop... these things exist in WU.  I've never known them to guarantee retention of their player-base though.  I just kind of wish there was a way that WU could continue providing modest income for CCAB over time, just as DayZ Mod has done for Bohemia.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 5:41 AM, Retrograde said:

Could you explain then why so many other markets have moved away from using the subscription based model?

• Like 1

Apologies @Retrograde, allow me to expand. The monthly subscription model was considered the "golden noose." It was a way to lock in players for a continual payment that far surpassed the very initial cost or any flat rate. It was actually a great model, but it wasn't a model designed for money believe it or not. At the time those business model games needed funding for servers, staff, but mostly for completely new expansions. Expansions back then were like entire new games. They completely changed the infrastructure of the original game. The problem with these subscriptions systems are that they do cut off a very large demographic of people (ages 12-17), players without a consistent income. Would a kid's mom be willing to pay $20 to get their kid a game? Sure, probably, is there parent wanting to spend a monthly fee each month for them to game? Ehhh, and what about when the kid wants a new game, they going to have to stop paying their monthly fee to afford the other. Besides that, it's proven factually that the subscription based business model has greatly declined in the past ten years, but so have MMORPGs. There are very few though left.

I don't think everything has to have a "pay to win" model as an alternative. Sorry, but that's just bad business mindset if you believe those are the only two options, and that if you stop a monthly fee suddenly the only option left is for rich people to prevail. In additional, I am not even saying remove the subscription fee, but there are alternatives and lower costs that seem more reasonable. Honestly, is this game now currently a bit pay to win? You can buy accounts, you can buy huge settlements, you can buy any item you want (nothing account-bound), guard NPCs, etc. I played Wurm a long time, please do not tell me that money has no sway in winning and losing. It may not directly in a fight, but there are elements that can easily be won with money.

Frankly and to be perfectly honest with you-- I don't really care. I don't play Wurm anymore, I quit two years ago and haven't stepped back. I've found nothing has changed. Nothing. It's a great game that feels like it's moment to really peak into the mainstream passed a few years ago. It's behind in so many ways compared to competitors. You have to ask yourself, "Is it really worth it?" Is it to me? Nah. To others, well in the past year:

paying-year.png

In the past year nothing gained, and a little lost. Perhaps to Wurm Unlimited. I don't have an issue paying for World of Warcraft (if I played it) because you know you pay for the service and content. There's 10 expansions, a dedicated professional staff team, instances, dungeons, battlegrounds. You get so much for the cost, but I do not see that here. I don't think the price tag is worth what I feel is a game that really just leaves everything up to the player, and has little support for. 

• Like 5

wurm%20pop_zps0wocwvt1.jpg

the numbers are dismal(mainly looking at you epic).  why they haven't consolidated servers is beyond guessing.  But as so many others before me has stated, there are too numerous flaws to be brought out into the light again.

one could comment on apparent flaws with the pvp system(from pvp vets).  one could comment on apparent flaws on certain pve models as well as "end game content" (from pve vets).  One could comment on the lact of advertising and decisions that have been the wrong decision from the owner.  does it really matter?

currently from my humble experience the best game that rivals wurm is Haven and Hearth.  you could say they are almost neck and neck in the above problems.  ATM There are 267 hearthlings playing(main server). (home page) and wurm boasts more peeps at this time.  the difference is that there is 2 servers in H&H(legacy being the old game ways and I have no idea the pop count on that, prolly just nostalgia peeps)

for my 0.02$ you wanna give wurm it's best chance(though I honestly belive it'll never be in its prime again)

consolidate all servers, and spend as much of the profit as you can for the next 3-6 months on advertising.

who knows

Edited by joojoo1975

On 4/1/2017 at 8:06 AM, joojoo1975 said:

wurm%20pop_zps0wocwvt1.jpg

the numbers are dismal(mainly looking at you epic).  why they haven't consolidated servers is beyond guessing.  But as so many others before me has stated, there are too numerous flaws to be brought out into the light again.

one could comment on apparent flaws with the pvp system(from pvp vets).  one could comment on apparent flaws on certain pve models as well as "end game content" (from pve vets).  One could comment on the lact of advertising and decisions that have been the wrong decision from the owner.  does it really matter?

currently from my humble experience the best game that rivals wurm is Haven and Hearth.  you could say they are almost neck and neck in the above problems.  ATM There are 267 hearthlings playing(main server). (home page) and wurm boasts more peeps at this time.  the difference is that there is 2 servers in H&H(legacy being the old game ways and I have no idea the pop count on that, prolly just nostalgia peeps)

for my 0.02$ you wanna give wurm it's best chance(though I honestly belive it'll never be in its prime again)

consolidate all servers, and spend as much of the profit as you can for the next 3-6 months on advertising.

who knows

even if that were done, we still wouldn't retain many new players because of the steep learning curve for the game.  I guess they're working on a way to solve that via tutorial, but I don't think it's going to be possible to solve the steep learning curve of this game by tutorial alone.  I think they need to rely on the community to teach players throughout the game, but there's not much of a community base.  For instance, if you log into any epic server, You'll be lucky if you find a CA in the CA chat.  And how do newbies even know to use the CA chat to ask for help?  plenty of villages with players to help assist newbie players, good luck finding one village with 2+ active players that have atleast 2 different players online at all hours to be able to assist newbie players in their village. those kinds of things turn newbie players off to the game.  even some veteran players get turned off by the game not having any activity to it.

i made a topic earlier in suggestions with merging all CA help channels of all epic homeservers so there is always anyone who can respond when a noob needs help

As expected this suggestion was smashed down hard with -1's

Hueh, wurm community in a nutshell 

• Like 1

Imrpoving CA help on the epic cluster is important, but there are two things in that aspect that need attention

1) suitable applicants for the position

2) enemy players using it to determine who is online.

Obviously the first of the two is the more important one, but the second also means many who would or could apply wont because their name would show up everywhere.

There's a few options and kinks to sort out, and we're looking at what we can do to boost that, because it is an issue we're aware of.

• Like 1

At the very least we need global ca help on epic if it's possible, so like MR JK and BL would each have their own ca help but its the same chat on all servers

As is right now there isn't even a ca help on Elevation for me/others to use, and most newer players that I've seen start on the home server

• Like 1

On 27.03.2017 at 7:04 AM, Retrograde said:

We've been explicitly clear that we will not be merging any servers, beyond the sheer headache of having to make sure any merging goes smoothly, you also face the fact you're removing the hard work of many players that lived on that server, and it does not mean server pop 1 + server pop 2 = 1+2, chances are you'll lose a huge amount in the merge and wind up with the same position.

What would Codeclub do if a certain server maintaining costs were higher than money income from players on that server?

On 29.03.2017 at 1:08 PM, Eobersig said:

triple damage potion anyone?

Triple damage? No.

Triple skillgain? Sounds like a good way to spend 8 euro in a very slow game.

Wurm is already f2p, there are a lot of ways to make silver ingame. It just requires some time investment. Remove premium as it is now and add optionts to grind faster for money instead. 

why did i make this post

5 hours ago, Badget said:

Remove premium as it is now and add optionts to grind faster for money instead. 

Yes make the game (even more) pay2win to fix population. What could possibly go wrong?

Wurm's model may seem old-school.

It's not old school, it's nonviable. Asking for anything else is like telling a nurse to do open heart surgery. I do enjoy the 'suggestions' from all these professionals. It's always good.

Yes make the game (even more) pay2win to fix population. What could possibly go wrong?

Considering the 'pay2win' model heavily favors the player-to-player transaction, with the business not seeing any benefit, I'd disagree.  It's not always so black and white.

This thread needs to die.

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Imrpoving CA help on the epic cluster is important, but there are two things in that aspect that need attention

1) suitable applicants for the position

2) enemy players using it to determine who is online.

Obviously the first of the two is the more important one, but the second also means many who would or could apply wont because their name would show up everywhere.

There's a few options and kinks to sort out, and we're looking at what we can do to boost that, because it is an issue we're aware of.

14 hours ago, MrGARY said:

At the very least we need global ca help on epic if it's possible, so like MR JK and BL would each have their own ca help but its the same chat on all servers

As is right now there isn't even a ca help on Elevation for me/others to use, and most newer players that I've seen start on the home server

Right now there is a global kingdom chat, why not copy and paste that code and modify it so ALL servers on freedom and epic can use this chat and rename it to be the new CA help chat? Theirs obviously enough CA's throughout all of Wurm to be able to monitor the chat, as well as players and reporting of others.  This would solve the issue of newbie players not requiring a village of members to help them out, when the CA from any server can give them advice on game questions and if not, can refer them to the Wurmpedia or the "h" button to search for stuff in-game.  When I started that's honestly what kept me playing the game, having the ability to ask questions and get answers.  I didn't know Wurmpedia was a thing till later.

• Like 1

Wurm is already p2w. Anyone believing diffrently is disillusioned. Especially in pvp but also pve.

Priest alts, deeds, sleep powder,  a tradeable ingame premium currency which people trade for ingame items and accounts (50% of deed upkeeps goes to traders, rare coins etc, its never unpaid). 

Not calling this game a p2w is just an outright lie.

Wurm is p2w

• Like 1

On 2017-03-29 at 11:41 AM, Retrograde said:

Magical Chests.

Sleep powder.

The special coloured garden gnome.

Ageless title.

Deeds.

Shaker orbs.

Rods of transmutation.

Ressurection stones.

Merchants.

Tuning forks.

Farwalker stones.

Farwalker twigs.

Seasonal items only given by having premium.

Uh... look at the stuff above.

Ya think 50% chance to not lose your items (items that can be valued to 300 euro) is something tiny?

Are ya freekin kidding? Let alone deeds?!

You are a P2W and you encourage trading where people swap your premium curency against ingame items. That premium currency eventually goes into deeds or premium time and thus become direct profits for you.

Your job is to talk, but im sorry you are a P2W by definition and nothing you say can change it.

Unless you talk about WU. :P

Edited by Zekezor

All those items above are purchasable by ingame currency as well.  For a game to be pay2win it must have an item/benefit that gives you an advantage over other players that is not accessible through ingame means.

Ironically because of how freely wurm works with real world trading, not only do these items not exist, you could even argue that they can't exist because of how the game works.  Wurm is by definition "pay to not grind" except all you do in this game is grind, so its really "pay to grind in something else."

Despite having said all that, there is no way I would play this game if I wasn't willing to spend some RL money on it. It's far too easy for Wurm to become closer to a job than a game if one isn't careful...

Right now its pay other players to win.  Not pay the game developers to win.  There's a big difference!