Sign in to follow this  
Hordern

Pot plants (herbs and/or berries)

Well obviously, it's not drugs, this is Wurm

Nomatter how the English language deals with verbs and nouns, it can still only mean one thing, a plant in a pot.

I'm trying to say this is a locality issue...

I have NEVER heard of a potted plant referred to as a pot plant.

I guarantee I am not the only one.

I was just saying the thread could be retitled to make it more clear.  When I see a suggestion thread titled "pot plants", I think, "what an idiot...".  But this thread has merit and should therefore be titled in such a way to get it the attention it deserves.

Enough derailing....

Well if you wanted to be picky, a potted plant COULD be a plant that is high... you never know, Wurm is a fantasy land, other crops might start smoking the wemp :P

As for a potted plant being a plant in a pot, to me it more means a plant (more usualy a fruit or something) that has been harvested and put inside a jar or something to store...

Anyway, complete digression, they're pot plants, and that's how it's staying :P

We need glass for that

Yeeaaaa... Glass is something else I've been fighting (begging) for.

I'm trying to say this is a locality issue...

I have NEVER heard of a potted plant referred to as a pot plant.

I guarantee I am not the only one.

I was just saying the thread could be retitled to make it more clear.  When I see a suggestion thread titled "pot plants", I think, "what an idiot...".  But this thread has merit and should therefore be titled in such a way to get it the attention it deserves.

Enough derailing....

Same here. a plant in a pot is called a 'potted plant' where I'm from. A 'pot plant' is.. well, something else entirely.

Derailment has plagued the thread from the beginning (all the pottery fixing for instance). It is a potted plant in my part of the world as well. The argument that it could not be a drug reference is invalid as well (with the assumptions given) since this is a suggestion.

The potted herb garden

Perhaps the plant pots (and not the pot plants) should require about 2kg of clay to produce a "clay pot", which is then baked into a 2kg "Pottery Pot". It has a volume of about 12 liters (12kg of water, same as a bucket) and holds both liquid and solids. It is also a cooking vessel that derives all it's recipes from the cauldron but will fit in an oven. When dropped it will form or join a pile.

A Pottery Pot can be combined with 3kg of dirt to form an "unfinished potted plant". The quality of the pot determines the chance, with failures damaging the dirt. The ending quality is determined by approx 50% gardening skill, 40% the quality of the dirt, and 10% the quality of the pot. Both these objects decay at the rate of pottery items (very slowly, if it all).

To this is added a sample of an herb or berry. The quality of the sample determines the % chance, with failure destroying the sample. The resulting "Potted Plant" object weighs 5kg. When dropped it will join a pile. When examined it tells you what type of plant it is, if it needs water, if it needs pruning, and if it can be harvested. All potted plants look like a big, fat and short pottery jars (without the lid) about the size of a bucket with a little green nondescript plant on top of it.

Failing to water or prune it by using water or a sickle (or maybe scissors) on it relatively promptly (within a RL day?) will result in the object taking approx 10% damage. Also, performing watering or pruning at the wrong time will damage it around 5%. If it ever reaches 100% damage the plant dies, and becomes an "Unfinished potted plant". Caring for it at the right time will likewise reduce the damage by 10%.

Every RL day that the plant is at 0 damage, it can be harvested, with quality capped by the Potted Plant's quality. The plant can store up to three harvests, denoted in the examine description.

Ideally a player should be able to log in daily and keep them at an perfect state. Logging in every few days should lead to 50%-75% of ideal production, and if left alone for a week at a time they should fail to grow and ultimately die.

The potted decorative plant

Take the exact same "unfinished potted plant" as above (pottery pot + dirt) and instead add a flowering plant's sprout like rose, lavender, camellia or a bouquet of flowers. Once completed, the item, much like a statue, can no longer be picked up, but can be pushed. Each has a full graphic of the type of plant inside it. Seasonal plants can be harvested when in season, but unlike bushes, the plant can not be sprouted.

Decorative plants are cared for in the same way as potted herbs and berries, but are far more resilient to negligence and time. Instead of being harvested, they go through a range of states ranging from badly overgrown to perfectly cultivated. If at all possible outdoor plants should be "watered" by the rain, but can not be damaged by it raining at the wrong time. In general I am of the opinion that outdoor plants should also grow better in general from house plants.

Ideal cultivation and care causes the plant to change in appearance to show lusher and fuller blooms of the plant type. At its highest stages it has much denser and fuller flowers than the natural variety of bush or flower. This is an open invitation to Kinoss or another artist to really amaze us with detail.

Inadequate care results in the plant becoming overgrown, sickly, with fewer and fewer flowers until ultimately it dies.

Caring for the plant on a weekly basis should be enough to keep it alive and in a state comparable to the original bush. More frequent care should make a much more lovely plant. If no care is given, the plant should die within approx. a RL month.

This is brilliant, and a great example of where this idea could go.

I would also like to see a box of some sort(a few planks and nails) that you can add dirt to as well to create an 'unfinished planter box' or something like that.

The wood variety should not last as long, but do the same job.

+1 to everything about this idea.  growing herbs for cooking would be very convenient.

Thanks for hauling this thread back on topic Othob, and I like the idea of the new use for scissors, afterall, sickles aren't used to trim bonsai trees!

I'm don't know what this whole discussion is about (only read first 3 posts) but I rly like the idea of potter's glove. Like previously mentioned - imping high QL pottery items with unenchanted, 50QL hand would be a pain. It doesn't have to be a new item - just let us use cloth or leather glove (eqiuped and activated) as a tool.

I'm don't know what this whole discussion is about (only read first 3 posts) but I rly like the idea of potter's glove. Like previously mentioned - imping high QL pottery items with unenchanted, 50QL hand would be a pain. It doesn't have to be a new item - just let us use cloth or leather glove (eqiuped and activated) as a tool.

Lol, yeah, this thread went off topic pretty fast didn't it...