Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

Rolf's PvP on PvE Episode:: Stories...

On 23-3-2017 at 1:41 PM, rixk said:

move the good features (valrei etc) to the freedom and let epic rest.

Whaha Valrei is a good feature now, u really have no idea what u talking about man.

There was a point to having PVE separate from PVP. They are 2 different  types of game. Those PVE people who want to go PVP can choose to do so.

The PVE community that did not want to have PVP had it forced on us with no time to prepare. Most of us had low fight skills as we were not a fighting group.  So we were left defenseless, and we had all of our hard work and joy in the game destroyed. 

Leave us peaceful players alone. 

If you want drama go to Chaos. 

• Like 2

The pve/pvp situation was there in beta, and reared it's ugly head near the last beta map. Rolf didn't like the decision to split servers into pve/pvp as it was their sole intention to have one server during gold. People were pretty vocal about wanting a pve-only server.

There were angry posts and threads years before this event. This was just a way to try and bring back that original vision, in a very, extremely, poor implementation. It's pretty much how Wurm works: good initial idea generation that's never given strategic thought, and then implemented with piss poor execution. Nothing changes.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, Reylaark said:

I was not around back then, but I remember hearing of it after joining.  Being reminded now made me laugh, particularly "going home for the week-end."  I can only imagine Rolf was pretty upset with the PvE folks that day :P

You have really opened up old wounds here for those who were around at the time and found it not so amusing. Although it was a bit before my time I can completely understand the betrayal the PvE players felt, when unprepared the god of Wurm unleashed this frenzied griefing pvp faction upon them. I had always known the story since shortly after joining the game and seen this old reflection in Rolf's tendencies. I suppose it was just out of frustration that the pvp aspects of the game never drew the attention of most players who simply wanted to grow flowers and tiptoe through the tulips.

In the reverse, you can't make a silk purse into a sow's ear and so the game has evolved to this stage despite the creators wishes for a violent virtual death to those who oppose him. Yet just last week's Valrie International goes into a renewed focus upon pvp development. Old habits never die I guess, even when only the god of Wurm's ghost remains. Ever the battle rages on, trying not to be so blunt in it's emboldments. *shrugs* What can ya do...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The issue is really that people who played PVE Wurm wanted a game without that garbage. If we had wanted PVP we would have gone to WIld. Is that not the reason there was a choice? So to open up a black hole on us was just plain mean.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2017 at 9:34 PM, Shazaam said:

Imagine this, pre-BSB/FSB.

Haha, yes... but we had just gotten large carts, which were a hell of a lot better than the small carts we were all used to.

Plus, we were only allowed 100 items per person, and additional 200 per boat. Most of everyone's crap got left behind,

• Like 1

I was referring to the shitshow that the AoC caused later on, on Independence, when people started treating them like deeds because of the paranoia. Should've referred to it as "Area of Control Era" in my post really.

Edit: I actually quoted Spellcast's response to my post in this post, but the forums are malfunctioning and skipped that part. It also takes around 2 minutes to post something and to post edits so please ignore typos I've left in, I simply don't have time for them.

Edited by Aeris

18 hours ago, Ayes said:

You have really opened up old wounds here for those who were around at the time and found it not so amusing.

=Ayes=

My amusement stems from the idea that Rolf would flip such a switch... and then go home for the week-end.  *facepalm*  RoooLF!!! what were you thinking man!  Kind of like I still laugh at an old friend who once walked into a raucous party we were having to politely, softly and even shyly let us know that the couch on the back porch was on full-on fire and starting to light up the side of the house... *facepalm* mighta been a good time to make a fuss man!  type-o'-thing.  I'm not laughing at the fact that we nearly burned down the house.

Really appreciate all the responses from everyone.  It's been really informative, not just regarding this particular event, but also shedding light on how Wurm's servers used to be organized.  Even got a glimpse of Rolf's original vision in his own words.

I'd also really like to thank everyone, and commend everyone, for not letting these old wounds devolve into present-day arguments.  There's no turning back the clocks, and the opportunity to look back through the looking glass has been even more interesting than I had hoped.  All of you who were there, and are still here, have taken quite a journey together.  It's nice to sit around the campfire sometimes and just listen to the ole timers.  They may not have teeth, but they sure have good stories.

Keep on Wurmin'

• Like 5

Well, I read all this with fascination. Anyway, I beg to differ: "The Rolf, is he all that bad" ..

The interesting thing is that while I never heard about that particular story before, it sounds in my ears as a pretty old story. I have experienced, partially met in person, quite a number of online game inventors, designers, and programmers. Strange is that the waste majority of them, often never, seldom, or at least never intensely playing themselves, thought of "their" games as PvP games, with at best a niche for PvE players. And nearly always it turned out that the waste majority of players, at least of those staying over an extended period of time, were PvE players. On the mainstream games I observed the ratio of mainly/only PvE playing people vs mostly/only PvP players used to be around 85-90 vs 15-10, sometimes even more PvE leaned. Only in the beginnings of a game the numbers were more balanced towards the PvP community.

There are reasons. First of all, the active PvP community mostly is a highly mobile crowd, always up to new adventures on new games which are offered on the market in abundance. And a problem is that PvP achievements and victories tend to wear out quickly. Moreover, PvP puts heavy strains on participants causing burnout fairly fast especially for active players. I recall sleeplessness and even professional issues when prepared to alarm messages by phone or messenger calling the faction/clan/guild to arms. That is of course stupid, but I experienced not to have been the only one, and that was a cause for me to leave that particular community though it was a lot of fun and thrill. PvE is ways easier to be integrated into real life. Don't know if this problem has been observed here as well.

And I nearly always found game implementors trying to support the PvP part by new balancing, new incentives, new features, frequently on cost of the PvE part of the community. So the story, interesting as it is, is not really a new one. We can only hope that the mistakes of yesteryear will not be repeated.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 2

I wish this happened again.. but more on the scope of "The Purge" once a year? 

23 minutes ago, Drastox said:

I wish this happened again.. but more on the scope of "The Purge" once a year? 

I wish it happened again and stayed that way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I wish it happened again and stayed that way.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

i dont expect any result to change. I want PVP to be the only playable gamemode

33 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

i dont expect any result to change. I want PVP to be the only playable gamemode

Ok then it is just silly and immature, granted.

• Like 1

Just now, Ekcin said:

Ok then it is just silly and immature, granted.

Nope, it's the right way the game should be played. Think about it, PVE makes absolutely no sense. It has no purpose, no meaning. No risk, no strategy, no challange ->> no game.

1 minute ago, Gladiator said:

Nope, it's the right way the game should be played. Think about it, PVE makes absolutely no sense. It has no purpose, no meaning. No risk, no strategy, no challange ->> no game.

That is what I consider silly and immature: considering the own ways the one and only possible, which have to be forced on everybody no matter what's the damage from.

Fanatics are acting and opining that way. In fact, following your proposal would destroy the game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

That is what I consider silly and immature: considering the own ways the one and only possible, which have to be forced on everybody no matter what's the damage from.

Fanatics are acting and opining that way. In fact, following your proposal would destroy the game.

I want the game to be destroyed. If 90% of the population just quit and the only server left would be a PVP one, i would think it a much better game. Simply because it would make sense.

On 3/24/2017 at 7:25 PM, Ayes said:

Yet just last week's Valrie International goes into a renewed focus upon pvp development

The cycle has been renewed.

I have to say it was fun at some point. It also was a very bad decision though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gladiator said:

I want the game to be destroyed. If 90% of the population just quit and the only server left would be a PVP one, i would think it a much better game. Simply because it would make sense.

No matter what kind of elitist headcanon you've carefully cultivated in your little wonderland, wanting to destroy something because it "makes no sense" (to you, in an entirely subjective matter) but otherwise doesn't affect you is a categorically unhinged response. Reminds me of certain bigot groups really.

Edited by Flubb

27 minutes ago, Flubb said:

No matter what kind of elitist headcanon you've carefully cultivated in your little wonderland, wanting to destroy something because it "makes no sense" (to you, in an entirely subjective matter) but otherwise doesn't affect you is a categorically unhinged response. Reminds me of certain bigot groups really.

Who's the bigot? The guy voicing his opinion with arguments? Or the dudes insulting him without any? 

If you actually thought about it for a second, instead of ranting about how much of a bigot I am, you would realize that if PVE was no longer a thing, more people would be on PVP, so I would technically have more fun. So it would affect me, yes.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flubb said:

A person expressing their opinion can never be a bigot. The bigot is the person showing intolerance to the opinion being expressed. You might want to research terms before using them.

big·ot
/ˈbiɡət/
noun
  1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

• Like 1

To clarify, I don't necesarily agree with Glads position. I just hate when people misuse the term to push their own narrative. 

• Like 1