Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Change/Reduce requirements for slate slabs

These items are by a HUGE margin the most diffficult form of paving to create and for the life of me i can't understand why.

Gravel - rock shard

Cobbles - 1 brick from 1 shard

Slabs - 1 slab from a few shards

Marble slabs - Same as above

Slate slabs - Make a buttload of ash, use this ash and Nat subs skill to make lye. Now you need mortar which you've prepped from clay and sand, which must be combined using nat subs to create concrete. You need 5 of these for one slab. But this is not all you need because you also need to mine out some slate and produce TWENTY shingles. With all this done you may now make an unfinished slate slab and attach all pieces to complete a ONE tile worth.

Oh and you need 2 of these things for a house floor.

Seems utterly ridiculous in comparison to other paving

• Like 7

Like you have said - you can make marble slabs, slabs, cobbles. You want something nice you go an extra mile. 

On another note, I personally made too many of those to see grinding of required skills to make them, and spending days of crafting them, to be useless...

And last but not least, Wurm market is right at the bottom right now, and hard things to make like that are the only silver income for some of Wurm traders.

Edited by bangzuvelis

So you want them to be hard to make, in spite of the only difference being asthetics because....you grinded some skills?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

So you want them to be hard to make, in spite of the only difference being asthetics because....you grinded some skills?

I would like them to be a luxury thing, yes. 

Ignoring the fact that having 99 in each of the required skills still wouldn't change the fact that you need to spend literally days to make enough of these to create a path from them? Seriously? You want to spend days on paving?

I don't understand this logic.

A difficult to make item should have some kind of tangible improvement over the easier alternatives that justifies its difficulty. Not just an asthetic difference and a players desire to make money off it.

Edited by Nadroj

2 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Ignoring the fact that having 99 in each of the required skills still wouldn't change the fact that you need to spend literally days to make enough of these to create a path from them? Seriously? You want to spend days on paving?

I don't understand this logic.

The reason of playing WO is to slowly see my time go to waste. If I wanted a quicker version I would go to one of those WU x100 servers.

Ok so to be clear, the reason you disagree with this suggestion is you want to waste your time, you don't want other people to have an easier time making something that you once had to do the hard way and you want to be able to make money off it being hard. I'll stop bothering to ask questions then.

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

Ok so to be clear, the reason you disagree with this suggestion is you want to waste your time, you don't want other people to have an easier time making something that you once had to do the hard way and you want to be able to make money off it being hard. I'll stop bothering to ask questions then.

No :) 

+1 would be great to see slate pavable with a created slab, or since they are more like bricks in the ground like stone bricks, pave with 1 shingle (or add slate brick into the game but using shingle is simpler)

noob: "wow this marble and slate looks amazing!!! how do i make it??"  vet:  "well marble you can mine some shards and make a slab it shouldn't be too hard. for slate you just loldon't yet"

• Like 2

I have chose slabs because how difficult they are to make and I can bet not a lot of us will chose to spend so much time for making them. That makes my little place different from others. Money side do not bother me. I would not be happy to see 50 actions to be squeezed into 1 though. 

This sounds like an argument of "i had to do it the hard way so i don't want it made easier for anyone else". That is called preventing progress.

• Like 2

In my playtime, I think I've made around 400-500 slate slabs.

I love them but effort to create is ridiculous.

So big +1 to make them at least little easier..

Wait, that wasn't big, here you are:

+1

Another thing. Let's say, I build slate slab road. Most players can easily destroy any tile with one click. Replacing destroyed tiles - another big effort.

Summing up: there should be higher skill/stat requirements to remove slate slab paving.

Edited by Wilczan

easier but not too hard would be the best, they are awesome for making things look good, but that always comes at a price. say 1 concrete and 5 shards maybe. that's bearable.

+1

Why not have slate slabs created like any other slab, mush a bunch of slate shards together and chisel it all in 1 go.

• Like 1

Maybe halve the materials cost, but otherwise no thank you. I like the effort it takes to create them, it makes a deed look like you put just that much more effort into it due to the difficulty of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Maybe halve the materials cost, but otherwise no thank you. I like the effort it takes to create them, it makes a deed look like you put just that much more effort into it due to the difficulty of them.

Half the material cost would be fine by me. I don't want them to be as easy as the rest, just not have this ENORMOUS difficulty spike from "chip a couple rocks" to "suffer fool"

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

+1.

Get rid of the damn concrete and just let us combine shards and cut a slab... like any other slab in this game.

• Like 1

imo it would be a lot more reasonable if it was 5 mortar instead of concrete and like...10 shingles. Still takes some work to make but doesn't have this insane requirement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nadroj said:

This sounds like an argument of "i had to do it the hard way so i don't want it made easier for anyone else". That is called preventing progress.

That's wurm online. Look at sotg changes, same reason people cried.

The massive difference here is that this crazy effort is simply cosmetic and they should either lower the requirements of this or higher the other ones because it doesn't make sense - and it would be a pain to raise the other ones sooo guess lowering the slate slab requirement is only way to go.

The following is a comparison of House Floors made from different materials by comparing the total actions required to make. Which includes actions to harvest raw materials, this is assuming a campfire is used to create ash and not a charcoal pile. They are listed in order of minimum Paving skill requirements. Not including the action to create the floor plan.

Paving 21 - Stone Slab Floor : 37 Actions

Paving 21 - Stone Brick Floor : 45 Actions

Paving 25 - Pottery Brick Floor : 112 Actions (Cooking the Bricks counted as one action)

Paving 30 - Slate Slab Floor : 167 Actions (Assuming Ash is combined for one action to make Lye)

Paving 40 - Marble Slab Floor : 37 Actions

Take what you will from this, but it seems to me if you oppose this change on the grounds it 'should be hard to make something nice' than you should support making Marble Slab Floors much more difficult.

But yeah, +1 from me. Feels like someone either gave up on Marble floors or the person that designed Slate Slab Flooring wasn't included in a memo. I mean its called Slate Slab Flooring... not Slate Shingle Flooring...

• Like 1

Changing slate slabs to use mortar instead of concrete would be a huge improvement.  Possibly dropping the shingle requirement a bit too, but having made a load, they are a bit over the top compared to everything else.  If you want them to be more 'exclusive', which I dislike but hey, then impose a minimum skill requirement.  Just like making house floors.

Also, floor boards - not the same level of silliness, but could still use a bit of a tweak.