Sign in to follow this  
Lily

Feeling the Wurm itch

So I've been playing wurm on and off for years - GV, Indy, Deli an Celi. Last time I spent any significant time online was just before that huge server opened up and decimated the 'old' server populations. The collapse of the village I was in was the last straw and I gave up.

About a year ago I got the Wurm itch and tried out WU. After joining a developed deed I suffered a severe case of culture shock as most the players were already 99 in the major skills. Having skills become almost irrelevant just seemed to kill a part of what makes wurm wurm.

So here I am again. Wurm is calling. But I'm lost as what to play. Deli was depressing last time I logged on, seeing decay and abandoned deeds everywhere. WU seems to be glorified minecraft with the focus on creativity, not skills. I rather like seeing skills ticking up.

What's the current mood at the moment? Which game type? Which server? Is there any positivity anywhere? Would love to find a happy little deed somewhere.

• Like 2

Indy is a good place to start. Plenty of old lands to claim or start a new deed. 2nd most populated Freedom cluster server around too next to Lagadu 

• Like 3

I'm sure there are many happy deeds on probably every server.  You should not worry about comparing your skills to someone else's.  Do what you enjoy and have fun with.  If you are around people with higher skills then you are lucky to have people around to help teach you how to get there if you want to.

There is plenty of room on Xan and I think there is a rise in positivity on the Western side. I see development happening in roads bridges and deeds.

I see nice deeds that have been abandoned as only an easier means for new people to come in and bring their vision.

Happy deed hunting no matter what world you choose :) 

Indy is far superior compared to Lag-anadu. If you're looking for a stable experience, I'd recommend that. North or South Indy is fairly unoccupied.

• Like 1

I take it from people only suggesting the various old servers, that people on the forums don't play on WU at all?

I play exclusively WU now. I would suggest looking at one of the WU servers without the fast action/skill timers, such as Mystic Highlands (light roleplay server) which retains vanilla Wurm's 1x/1x rates. There are also non-RP servers that do not have accelerated skill/action, or maybe one with a lower increase (Foreverlands, Sklotopolis)  is all you need.You might find after a short time, you actually DO want to catch up a little faster to your old WO characters, , just not THAT fast.

Trick is maybe to start a half dozen characters on a half dozen different servers and keep trying till you meet That Perfect One. Besides skill/action rates & mods, you will want to consider the temperament and the technical abilities of the server admin. Will they still be running this server a year down the road? Do they know how to prevent database corruptions and weird glitches? Do GMs exist to assist players with problems? Are the server admins non-drama, mature, and treating all players with equal fairness?  I play on Sklotopolis a lot and I highly recommend it if you want something "like vanilla Wurm .. but better."  It has a busy, friendlly player base however many have had an 18 month head start on you, so a lot of "high skill" players.  I also enjoy Otherlands in part because their PVE White Light server is only two weeks old, so everything is still fresh and new, but it's super fast skill/action rates may not be a good match for you. Mystic Highlands is still "semi-new" as it only opened in December, and with vanilla 1x/1x skill/action rates, you can catch up easy enough to the early joiners. 

Wurm is a game for years and so spending days to find a right fit is time well spent.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

Thank you Brash, that's incredibly helpful.  I hadn't realised that the timers were different on various servers. I presumed it was just wurm speed or super speed. Something in-between would be quite nice!

3 hours ago, Lily said:

Thank you Brash, that's incredibly helpful.  I hadn't realised that the timers were different on various servers. I presumed it was just wurm speed or super speed. Something in-between would be quite nice!

I think Brash layed out the WU server's differences pretty well for you. Sklotopolis is a very good mid ranged skill/actions server with a long WU history and dedicated server admins taking attentive care of it. I play there sometimes but prefer a much faster skill/action server such as Calysto, which is a much newer one.

Yes, each WU server is set to the server owner's particular desires with various mods added to it to improve gameplay in various ways. The great thing is that many are Public and free to try by anyone who has paid the one time fee for WU and then logs onto Steam to choose which server to enter. There is even a forum section here under Wurm Unlimited in which many server owners describe their particular servers with timers, skill gains and various mods listed. So this can easily be browsed through for some indication of which to try out.

Heck, you can even play both WO and WU if time allows, which I do so myself. In WO I still prefer Deliverance though and do remember seeing you around there in the past. Yea, it might seem a bit depressing to you if you don't care for the fact that a lot of the players and deeds from your time there might have crumbled into the dust of memories. If you want a lot of players around I would think Xanadu is best but you'd need to research the local to best settle in for the most player interaction.

Both games can be a lot of fun to while away the hours. Best of luck on finding yours.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

And as mentioned, there is a rebirth going on to the old servers. Notice the pops are gaining more players logged in and a lot of the old abandoned places are being reclaimed and redone.

Looking for a great vanilla plus more restrictive 1x pvevp server try TheTrust collective.  Community makes the server great, tons of helpful people.

They make creams and salves for that.

I'm going to 2nd the suggestion to join up on Inde.  Great server.

I live on deliverance my self, three deeds there, but I am a deli rat and have been there for years. I would also recommend Independence as the people are rather helpful over there.  I do a lot of traveling and that server as an active chat channel.  Deli seems to have started to shift towards the new guys and the old guys club.  Xanadu, every time I go over there I get a lot of chat that paraphrased to go back to your server we don't like your kind over here.

Lost the itch due to countless nerfs to my kingdom without reason and no attention to the pvp side of the game.

Will get the itch again when religion is getting a overhaul and pvp server population aren't treated like 2nd class citizens/players

• Like 2

Adding to the Indy love. It's a great server with friendly people and plenty of space. 

• Like 1

Indy is best server for sure, but smaller servers are fine too, if you prefer hermit style and smallest lags ...

When talking about WU servers, KangaWU is great one ... with Budda as operator, there is good promise of its longevity ... there are only 3x skills and 3x action speed. It is faster than in WO, but not that crazy fast as some other WU servers. Free premium, free deeds ... deed's "time to disband" is raised by villagers activity. There are special events such Hunt Event and occasional contests. Daily refreshed map. As new feature now even no priests have limited ability to cast spells ... and much more http://kangawu.com.au/

When you first started on GV I offhandedly mentioned your name to someone I was greeting. By some chance it happened to be Ivan. :P  "Yeah it's my daughter" he said. Twas just one of those moments when you wonder how the hell that just happened, were we talking about girls or daughters at the time? Neither, I just dropped your name out of the blue on a packed GV and we ended up with daughters the same age. Your ol man's awesome btw, glad you still play.

I'm always going to say join a big town on pvp whether you pvp or not but I think it's bad timing for that. Epic deeds can come and go like the wind, specifically meaning pmk capitols on Ele (so it turned less in to kingdom making than recruitment drives for raiding). On the home servers there, in theory there should be the sweet spot of other peoples mayhem and crazy drama, news of wars, heroics and skirmishes carried on the winds, vague threats of the huge unknown influencing your every loom action. Is it strong enough for cotton, and BC? We were going to succeed. :) Cause these prime deeds are supposed to be a bit of palatial (or castle like) entry to some seriuzly Wurmy bidniz.. Chaos was rocked by pmk. You're right, don't ever forget MRC. JK took a smart-bomb and MR was put to the sword. So.. I'm glad to say JKC is survive :D  and someone like you Lily, hope you get to want to play some kingdom style tainted pve on Wurm, if there's another chance that you can find a stable kingdom with a stable town, carry that thought.