Sign in to follow this  
Evening

Dairy food making products ql

The difference in quality between some finished products of dairy food making are way too high.

Skill:

[10:34:20] Dairy food making increased by 0.0119 to 28.8717

Tools used (all tools around 70ql):

spoon

fork

cheese drill (cheese drill rare, that would add 1-1.5ql to the finished product)

Sheep milk, undamaged (the results are more or less identical for any type of milk), 100 ql

Results:

Butter 92% chance to be made, 25 difficulty, average ql of butter: 97

Cream 96% chance to be made, 15 difficulty, ql identical with dairy food making skill: 28.87

Feta cheese 97% chance to be made, 15 difficulty, average ql of cheese: 85

Something seems wrong, the higher difficulty one should end up lower ql, or all of them should be more or less of same ql; 60-70ql difference doesn't seem right.

Bug?

well I predict that what is going to happen now, is the same as when devs decided 100Q water was "overpowered" for blacksmiths to temper

Cream will stay the same but now butter & cheese will ignore milk "quality" since 100Q milk is "OP", and also come out in 28Q range.

High quality tools will have only minor impact vs low skill level since otherwise all crafters could simply buy the best tools and not worry about skill.

For blacksmiths, it meant that now tempering was broken but in the opposite way.

I guess dairy farmers get their turn next.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

How many of each item did you make in your tests?

Well over 1k cheese, several hundred bits of butter, few barrels of milk turned into cream.

8 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

well I predict that what is going to happen now, is the same as when devs decided 100Q water was "overpowered" for blacksmiths to temper

Seems to me that it is milking that is bugged here not dairy food making xD If milking would give milk ql scaled to skill instead of always 100 there wouldn't be problem....

It's fine, and why force people to level up a pointless skill especially now that the skillgain was nerfed on milking?

7 hours ago, kochinac said:

Seems to me that it is milking that is bugged here not dairy food making xD If milking would give milk ql scaled to skill instead of always 100 there wouldn't be problem....

there would still be a problem, because now players have low quality milk that spoils before they can even finish milking their cows thanks to milk's insane decay rates. So  we will get player requests to revisit milk decay rates. Plus it ends up closing the door on one of the few remaining business opportunities for new players (dairy industry).  Devs  end up spending weeks untangling all of that because touching any one part of rolfcode is like playing JengaI am not sure The Complexities And Wogic of Milk is that high on the priority list of players.   But heck maybe it is.  I guess this is why getting sheep took 6 years.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

14 hours ago, Evening said:

Butter 92% chance to be made, 25 difficulty, average ql of butter: 97

Cream 96% chance to be made, 15 difficulty, ql identical with dairy food making skill: 28.87

Feta cheese 97% chance to be made, 15 difficulty, average ql of cheese: 85

It doesn't look right to me either. 60-70 difference could well exist but not between average QL of hundreds/thousand in those conditions... I can't think of anything similar. (Right now I am not ingame and don't remember their exact ingredients/process though. Maybe there is something that can explain it?)

@Anarres

All of them are one-action products, simply using a fork, a spoon or a cheese drill on milk, why I believe it is a bug on the final ql.

Most things in similar skills (like making flour in milling or dough in bakery) would yield a higher ql product than your skill, and while I'd expect the same in dairy food making, having the highest difficulty item (butter) being of highest ql, while the low difficulty item (cream) is capped at skill level doesn't seem right at all.

I didn't post the oddities asking for final ql to be nerfed, some skills are very hard to raise (dairy food making is one, you can only have so many animals on deed and you can milk them only so many times in 24 hours for the mandatory milk), but is more than obvious something isn't working right.

I've been working on both milking and DFM skills. (45+ milking, 36+ DFM currently) I'd noticed this too after the cooking update dropped. I was getting 97 QL cheeses and couldn't figure out why. Thought maybe it was a bug but I asked around...

Apparently it's because of the always 100 QL milk. Now I get majority 100 QL cheese/butters...with 36 skill. My cream comes out at level with the DFM skill.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:13 PM, kochinac said:

Seems to me that it is milking that is bugged here not dairy food making

Yes, it seems so.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, Niki said:

It's fine, and why force people to level up a pointless skill especially now that the skillgain was nerfed on milking?

Not sure what you mean about the skill-gain being nerfed as my milking seems to be gaining just fine. If you're referring to DFM...that could use a real pickup in skill-gain though because I've made over 2.3K cheese and barely budged on it.

But milking now receives the same +1/+2/+3/+4 as foraging/botanizing used to get. At 26/53/80 skills you gain +1 weight of milk per milking now. I am nearly to the +3.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:08 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

Devs  end up spending weeks untangling all of that because touching any one part of rolfcode is like playing Jenga.

That's why I'm iffy on them fixing this one. Milk is probably spaghetti code madness...

I do not think ql of the milk / milking skill are the issue. Milk takes extremely fast decay, after unsealing a barrel of milk, it will take damage in the next 2 to 5 minutes, so capping its ql to milking skill level would be a sort of a disaster.

The problem here is the finished product - butter, cheese, cream - using the same skill, dairy food making - using same ql tools - being of different ql when made, with the low difficulty one ending of lower ql, and higher difficulty one being of much higher ql than the skill itself.

Which, I suppose, can be fixed by increasing the ql of cream to match the average ql of cheese or butter.

Since I've been doing so much cooking/cooking exploration, I've noted a lot of things they tied to specific skills like this (Example : Pastas/Cheesecakes come out at exactly your cooking level, and the eggnog comes out exactly at your baking level. That's just a couple examples I can remember off the top of my head.). If they 'fix' one, then you'll have people questioning why their products don't come out at tip top with barely any/no skill. I'd rather they fix the underlying problem. I don't even get why we're getting a 'boost' to cheese/bread QL's anyway. It kinda makes leveling the skills pointless after 30-35. This specific issue is tied to the 100 QL milk...and you're basically asking them to match the cream's QL with the weirdly boosted stuff.