Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Blessed lamps, and theft.

I'd like to make a request, that an additional improvement to the blessed lamps that stay on at night off deed.

Can you make the blessing disappear when they are un-plant due to damage?  I'm not the greatest blacksmith in the world, and when trying to do community positive work.  I've had people come and steal my lamps.   I'd just like it so that all they get are the materials, not all the benefits.  Thanks

Edit:  To clarify my suggestion.   A lamp would only lose it's blessing IF it becomes un-planted due to damage.  No other circumstance would do this. 

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

I'd say that bashing a lamp of any realistic QL will cost far, far more time and energy than just getting someone to cast Bless on a new one.

the reason as I have said is that I get a priest to bless them, and someone steals them.    I don't make 50+ ql lamps  my smithing currently sucks.  Additionally if I bless a newbie lamp I want them to enjoy it, not someone else.

And bless costs.  just because you have an alt priest on tap doesn't make it cost zero.

Edited by Tallios

not sure if that possible with the way blessing works, impossible to dispel it for example, the concern remains valid though and bashing a lamp doesn't take that much time when you have the strength and tools for it (luckily those peeps are also the ones with alts priest - ie, old time players).

Being stuck in a situation where you have to hope everyone will be nice and not take what is yours (or destroy something you have done for the community) is not right nor fun. Lets hope something can be found which doesn't make impossible either to bash a lamp, because sometimes they are in the way of a collapsing job and the player who planted them is gone or on another server.

Just now, Odynn said:

not sure if that possible with the way blessing works, impossible to dispel it for example, the concern remains valid though and bashing a lamp doesn't take that much time when you have the strength and tools for it (luckily those peeps are also the ones with alts priest - ie, old time players).

Being stuck in a situation where you have to hope everyone will be nice and not take what is yours (or destroy something you have done for the community) is not right nor fun. Lets hope something can be found which doesn't make impossible either to bash a lamp, because sometimes they are in the way of a collapsing job and the player who planted them is gone or on another server.

I'm just saying if a lamp "pops" out of being planted it "dispels" any enchants on it.  it's a fairly simple mechanic, not asking the whole world to be turned upside down.

Why should this be a thing? Don't you think you're just being greedy? Nobody will ever bash decent ql lamps for their blessed state, and if they were unrepaired and unimped for a year and you have to not only make new lamps, but also get them blessed, that's your fault.

3 hours ago, zigozag said:

Why should this be a thing? Don't you think you're just being greedy? Nobody will ever bash decent ql lamps for their blessed state, and if they were unrepaired and unimped for a year and you have to not only make new lamps, but also get them blessed, that's your fault.

It's a fair question.  but I think you missed the part where if it pops it enchants disappear....  this is due to bashing or decay... same difference.

Edited by Tallios

I feel like this thread has become a "everyone has a high lv blacksmith and everyone has a priest and if you don't it is your fault" sorta thing. Think about it from a n00b perspective if you only have 20 bsm and don't have a priest and you are just getting into the game and you ask a neighbor to bless your lamps. Does it sound reasonable that a jerk or another n00b will come by to bash and steal the lamps because it will take 30secs? yes 

I haven't played this game long and I don't normally play on freedom but I have already had someone break my fences that were just off deed. Took me a week but I figured out who it was and I told them to stop. I was told that my "n00b fences" should be on deed or I should expect that they will get bashed. They explained that the enclosure rule is no longer enforced and if it is not deeded then I should expect to lose it. 

People are going to be jerks just for the sake of being jerks. My "n00b fences" were a 2x2 tile area for me to breed my horses that are attached to my cart and was empty at the time. It was empty at the time and they bashed in just cause they could. And to I guess prove a lesson to me *rolls eyes*.

Long story short if people are going to bash into fences off deed for no reason I think it is safe to say that veteran or n00b players will bash lamps off deed for a similar reason. I 100% support for a simple implemented deterrent such as losing the blessing. If it is true EVERYONE has a high lv bsm and EVERYONE has a priest to bless then it shouldn't affect 99% of Wurm but will help the 1% that don't. As long as it isn't hurting anyone then I'm not sure why people are saying no to it and using reasons that not everyone has access to.

+1

• Like 2

As a counterpoint, if you go check on your own lamps and find they have lots of damage so need repairing, it's going to be even more annoying if you have to get them re-blessed as well.

• Like 4

Alternatively just post the names of whoever is stealing the lamps, KOS should do the trick. Pretty terrible person whoever it is though.

Edited by Niki

33 minutes ago, Wraithglow said:

As a counterpoint, if you go check on your own lamps and find they have lots of damage so need repairing, it's going to be even more annoying if you have to get them re-blessed as well.

I think Tallios suggestion is they become unblessed if they get to the point them are unplanted. Off the top of my head I think that is below 10ql? And at that point it falls under what Zigozag said of

and if they were unrepaired and unimped for a year and you have to not only make new lamps, but also get them blessed, that's your fault.

As long as you are keeping them up it should not be a problem. And if you mess up and let them fall under that is your fault. If someone comes by to be a jerk and bash them then they don't get the reward.

• Like 1

I don't agree with them coming unblessed if they are not planted.  If they do that, I think the priest is going to have to travel to each lamp after it is planted to bless it.  Currently we can bless a group and send them on their way with whoever is going to plant them on their road.

5 minutes ago, Pashka said:

I don't agree with them coming unblessed if they are not planted.  If they do that, I think the priest is going to have to travel to each lamp after it is planted to bless it.  Currently we can bless a group and send them on their way with whoever is going to plant them on their road.

This is a misunderstanding of the mechanic I suggest.   You bless the lamp, it's fine.....IF after it is planted, it unplants due to damage.  THEN it loses the blessing.  If you take it, nothing happens, it stays blessed.  This is a specific mechanic that would kick in on items that become un-planted due to damage or quality.  That is only when it's checked.  This is how it would discourage theft, because the only way to take it would break it.

I'm not really seeing that blessed lamps are enough of a scarce commodity that they'd be worth the effort of bashing, or hard to replace.  I get that not everyone has high BS or a priest alt, but there are enough priests around - I know I'd happily throw out a few free blesses on one of mine if there was someone asking for them, and I also know that others in my alliance would too.  I have to imagine the situation isn't that different on other servers.  We haven't seen a spate of people bashing high ql public lamps to steal them so far, and planted stuff de-planting on damage has been around for a while; I don't see that blessed lamps being desirable is likely to be that much of an issue either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tallios said:

This is a misunderstanding of the mechanic I suggest.   You bless the lamp, it's fine.....IF after it is planted, it unplants due to damage.  THEN it loses the blessing.  If you take it, nothing happens, it stays blessed.  This is a specific mechanic that would kick in on items that become un-planted due to damage or quality.  That is only when it's checked.  This is how it would discourage theft, because the only way to take it would break it.

The way Wurm checks things like that is on interaction. That's why sometimes you need to "push/pull/move" an item once you improve it & get a drumroll to see if it went rare. You could bless lamps in your inventory & when you moved them into your cart / wagon / whatever and it would check the status. It'd see that it was 1) not planted and 2) blessed and remove the bless. At least I believe that's the process... correct me if I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, zethreal said:

The way Wurm checks things like that is on interaction. That's why sometimes you need to "push/pull/move" an item once you improve it & get a drumroll to see if it went rare. You could bless lamps in your inventory & when you moved them into your cart / wagon / whatever and it would check the status. It'd see that it was 1) not planted and 2) blessed and remove the bless. At least I believe that's the process... correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, all I know is that there are different interaction options when the damage is greater than 70 or the effective quality is less than 10.   Only the dev's could really comment on how the code interacts in this fashion.  Maybe it would be to complicated.  I'm throwing this up there for consideration.

I really don't see the problem with this suggestion.  Either blessing costs nothing, at which point it's a non-issue to recast it after so much decay, or blessing does cost something at which point this is just more love for priests.  There's really no good reason to reward theft on PvE Isles.

I'm actually pretty surprised people would steal it just for the sake of blessing.  Are you sure that's why they're taking it?  I mean, if one is blessed, the other not, do they only take the blessed one?

Is it in someone's front yard and really annoying to them?

Another idea, make it possible to cast AOSP on blessed lamps, get popcorn, watch thief from a comfortable lawn chair with your friends.  Everybody wins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

I really don't see the problem with this suggestion.  Either blessing costs nothing, at which point it's a non-issue to recast it after so much decay, or blessing does cost something at which point this is just more love for priests.  There's really no good reason to reward theft on PvE Isles.

I'm actually pretty surprised people would steal it just for the sake of blessing.  Are you sure that's why they're taking it?  I mean, if one is blessed, the other not, do they only take the blessed one?

Is it in someone's front yard and really annoying to them?

Another idea, make it possible to cast AOSP on blessed lamps, get popcorn, watch thief from a comfortable lawn chair with your friends.  Everybody wins.

If only AOSP worked that way!

6 minutes ago, Tallios said:

If only AOSP worked that way!

Yeah, guess it's dependent on the armor wearer's damage taken... but man it'd be funny :P

• Like 1

Those planting the blessed lamps off-deed can always make a habit of checking them at a regular time to repair as part of maintenance.

Just treat that as a responsibility for the players doing it rather than making some special case exception to standard high decay unplants code.

As Wraithglow noted, ignoring ones needing repair will cause the lamp to decay away in time, enchantment and all, anyways.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 2

I don't think blessing a lamp makes it so valuable that people would steal them. The effort to bash them is greater than the value of the lamp, let alone the cast.

Bless is a low level spell that every priest there has. Anyone can bless. If you can't find a priest to bless your lamps for free or a pittance, then you should go out there and make some friends. Hell, bring me garlic or chopped veggies and I'll bless all lamps for free!

As per the issue of lamps being stolen, that's a risk we take when we put them outside if deed. Yes, is wrong for people to steal lamps off roads and bridges and beautified areas, but that is a completely different matter. If someone does it just to be a stiff, then they should be set KOS and the community should be made aware.

I don't think the issue is the lamp being blessed, but it being a quality lamp. 10 50ql lamps can net someone about 2 silver, blessed or not. I don't think your issue is the blessing, but the lamps themselves.

I'd rather they just stop using bless for every damn new thing they put out...or like I said before in the news thread...allow a follower to cast bless on things.

I'm a 75+ Blacksmith/58ish overall smith, so I personally wouldn't have this problem unless I absolutely didn't bother to re-imp/repair lamps, but I also don't bother putting lamps off deed because of the shenanigans people pull.

I can totally see where it would be a problem if you're a low smith...

• Like 1

Bashing lamps is very time consuming especially if your lamps are around 50QL 

Imp the lamps over 50ql, they not going to keep stealing them, takes 20 or more minutes to bash just one lamp like that. I know I have bashed a few rare ones and at the end I have to say, was it really worth the time?

Now a simple solution to this is, and I am assuming you are doing these lamps along a highway if its to help folks during the night. The GM's could simply add lamps to the highways rule and that stealing blessed lamps off of highways is against the rules.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 3