Sign in to follow this  
Madt

Cooling items down from a forge in water

We cant put horse shoes on a horse when they are too hot. Why not allow us to use a bucket of water or something to cool smithed items from a forge in like tempering but this is to cool the item down completely to be used.

Having the options to cool to searing and hot would be good as well. I'd like to be able to reprocess scraps fast.

+1 Being able to cool scraps would be great without having to make an extra forge or cauldron or whatever that bug is.

We cant put horse shoes on a horse when they are too hot. Why not allow us to use a bucket of water or something to cool smithed items from a forge in like tempering but this is to cool the item down completely to be used.

I wouldn't say this is a problem if it weren't for the fact that wurmians can wear glowing hot studded leather items (and chain too?) without problem, but...

I suggested this several months ago. I believe it was all -1s that makes forging too easy QQ type thing. /shrug.

But I am still in a +1 status for it.

We cant put horse shoes on a horse when they are too hot.

This is a good idea, but it would change smithing all together. If it is water that is used to cool, then the items being imp'd would need to be reheated for the next imp action. Or they would need to be able to be placed into a container of liquid but that would destroy the liquid or whatever it says. likely not a simple game mechanic to change.

If something other then water could be considered, maybe it could be implemented easier.

I know I hate the time it takes just to get a meal to be edible from taking it out of the oven... sometime i just can't wait and burn my tongue.

+1

Although doesn't cooling with water cause the metal to temper? So pretty much metal scraps would turn to being rock hard and even more useless.

Of course that's real life, and this is wurm; so what ever works.

Maybe if you dropped the item into a barrel of water rather than added water to the item as it is for tempering the game could know the difference...? Obviously in RL there'd be no difference, but I'm sure we'd all rather suspend a little belief there rather than have to heat up metal again after every attempt at Tempering...

dip it in olive oil to cool

Yes because you really would dip an extremely hot object in oil to cool it down...

Really putting water onto it while it was searing hot would make it weaker/more brittle, but this isn't reality and I think we do need a way of cooling down scraps/lumps and I can't think of any other suggestion of how.

+1