Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Why are coal piles decaying so fast?

I built 4 coal piles at about 9am my local, I take a break.  Come back at 1:30PM and the coal piles already have 9 damage on them?  can someone explain why they rot so quickly?

OK, JUST TO CLARIFY.  NONE OF THESE WERE LIT.  

Edited by Tallios

They used to take much longer to take damage, but unfortunately it's been much faster lately.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing but haven't built many so figured it was because mine was such low ql.  Would QL affect it beyond ql of coal, etc.?

Still same yield, just burns faster?  Or lower yield?

I'm on Xanadu, which has had some strange time vortices rolling through.  

If they just burn faster but put out the same yield, pretty sure I'd be ok with that.  They can get noisy when in multiples.

If they are burning faster then less amounts will be obtainable over time, since most take out the charcoal and ash as it burns. If it only burns for 8hrs in instead of the 24-30 hrs. (I think it is) then your getting less charcoal and ash.

11 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I'm on Xanadu, which has had some strange time vortices rolling through.

I'm wondering if that might be the issue also. They did a 'hotfix' for the time problems, and ever since then, some things have been 'different' on the server. All of a sudden the mobs I've been fighting seem more responsive/quicker to act...they are moving around a bunch more than they previously were...(Like, I used to fight a troll, fail miserably...have to back off and heal up and go back in and usually the troll would sit there in the same place...or maybe move x3 times at max. The last one I fought moved x8 times in the time I waited for a heal tick)

But yeah, coal piles always kinda burn pretty fast from what I've seen. (Only 33ish coalmaking) Mine rarely last a day now. I vaguely recall having to wait like 3 RL days for my old ones back on Pristine. Don't know. *shrugs*

13 hours ago, Talohan said:

If they are burning faster then less amounts will be obtainable over time

That depends on how "faster".

Since they produce their stuff on a decay tick...

if it's the same number of ticks over smaller time then you get the same amount of products.

If it's less ticks and more damage per tick then yeah, you'll get less products.

• Like 1

ok, just to clarify for my concern, none of my piles were lit at the time.  I totally understand they take damage as they burn.

Just now, JakeRivers said:

:rolleyes:

do your coal piles in a mine 8)

Nope center of deed.  I see where you're going but this really shouldn't be the best practice.

a few advantages in a mine, unlit piles take little decay and the noise and lag is tucked away in a area where its not noticeable

• Like 3

Ohh unlit, well yeah they bumped the decay numbers up for some unfinished stuff, like walls and I think. So maybe piles was in that nerf?

\

My coal piles still seem to take about a week to burn down :).

Coal piles burn at the same speed underground as above ground, or at least they did the last time I tested.  Every time you get a decay tick you get a coal/ash/tar if the pile is burning, if not you don't, is my observation anyway. All completed piles decay as if they were lit, regardless if you light them or not.  If you make the pile oak, you should get roughly 2/3 coal of the ql of the pile.  i.e. 30ql pile about 20 coal. If not oak, about 53% roughly. Over a 24 hour period you should get about 7 coal/ash/tar unless the pile is cedar, which delays decay but not the size of the decay ticks so you still get exactly the same amount of coal, just takes longer.

Finally, an unfinished pile will decay, but extremely slowly, will still be there many months later.

If testing shows something different than this, then there has been a change.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Tallios said:

I built 4 coal piles at about 9am my local, I take a break.  Come back at 1:30PM and the coal piles already have 9 damage on them?  can someone explain why they rot so quickly?

OK, JUST TO CLARIFY.  NONE OF THESE WERE LIT.  

Should expect a decay tick about once every 3.5 hours or so seeing a tick in 4.5 hours is expected.  The size of the tick is related to the coal pile ql so without telling us the ql, can't say if 9 damage is unreasonable or not.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, Corsan said:

I'm wondering if that might be the issue also. They did a 'hotfix' for the time problems, and ever since then, some things have been 'different' on the server. All of a sudden the mobs I've been fighting seem more responsive/quicker to act...they are moving around a bunch more than they previously were...(Like, I used to fight a troll, fail miserably...have to back off and heal up and go back in and usually the troll would sit there in the same place...or maybe move x3 times at max. The last one I fought moved x8 times in the time I waited for a heal tick)

But yeah, coal piles always kinda burn pretty fast from what I've seen. (Only 33ish coalmaking) Mine rarely last a day now. I vaguely recall having to wait like 3 RL days for my old ones back on Pristine. Don't know. *shrugs*

At 33 coalmaking, probably had 20ql piles, which should take about 3 days to burn down if you were making oak.  If you got the same 20ql pile burning out in a day now, that is a change, but need to know the ql and wood type of the pile or can't say anything at all.

They do decay quite quickly even when not lit. This is annoying when you are making a big batch of them and are waiting to light them all at the same time as the first few will start decaying before you've even finished making them all.

Pro tip,never finish them if you dont plant to lit them..let 1 log out.

Yes i know i'm late to the party.

Edited by Jonydowy
  • Like 1

This is indeed typical behavior over the years when a pile has not been lit immediately after creation.

Whether its intended behavior persay... is debatable.

Also fyi use an oak log for the last one.

• Like 1

Kinda off topic but is it maple or walnut that gives extra ash? And burning them in caves is as Jake said more friendly to your neighbors. :) 

none give extra ash, they all give the same amount per decay tick, walnut would give higher ql.

This is actually likely because xanadu is improving! With the time fixes we reduced how often some things are polled on xan, and the overall lag and timing has improved greatly.

• Like 1

Per the Wurmpedia :

Light as soon as possible. Unlit piles will soon start to take "invisible" damage till lit, which is when the damage becomes apparent.

15 hours ago, Corsan said:

Per the Wurmpedia :

yes and it's stupid.  not you corsan, but the logic.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, Talohan said:

Kinda off topic but is it maple or walnut that gives extra ash? And burning them in caves is as Jake said more friendly to your neighbors. :) 

Oak coal piles produce 25% more mats, coal/ash/tar than non-oak coal piles. Walnut increases the ql by 10%--not a big deal for a 10ql pile, but a nice perk for 82ql piles as it pushes them over 90ql mats.  Really no reason that I'm aware of to make piles other than oak or walnut as it only takes the last log to control.  But whatever you do, don't make them cedar, you will have to wait a fair bit longer for the same amount of mats.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:13 AM, Retrograde said:

none give extra ash, they all give the same amount per decay tick, walnut would give higher ql.

This is actually likely because xanadu is improving! With the time fixes we reduced how often some things are polled on xan, and the overall lag and timing has improved greatly.

Been working on my deed on Xan for the last several days and lag is not something I'm noticing all that much at the moment.  Thanks.