header.png

Foggy Docks

Hi Everyone,

A huge week for WU, with 1.3 finally landing, and what an impact! I've seen fantastic meals, pink bee hives, and cows no taller than your knee (the mods some people think of!) We've got a bit to cover though, so here goes!

But first...

Patch notes

Spoiler

• Changed examine message on small egg to indicate fertility.
  • Dye amounts for bulk storage bins and food storage bins has been reduced to 3kgs needed.
  • Change:  Removed merchant contracts from mission items list.
  • Mailing costs for liquids and combined resources is now calculated at 1 copper/5kg weight.
  • Bloodthirst Changes:
    • Fix:

• Bloodthirst now properly gives 30 on a killshot.

Change:

• Changed how the power is gained on the BT weapon. Can cast on it to increase it up to 1000, increasing it to 1000 will be along the same difficulty of a normal cast to 100.

• Each cast with a power higher than the current power/10 will add that power to the cast. This will naturally cap it at around 1000, maybe a really lucky 1100ish before casting to increase is impossible.

• Power increase is now also gained when killing creatures as well as other players.

• Killing creatures will now increase the power equal to the creature's CR. Between 5000 and 7500 power this will scale down to half the creature's CR.

•  Stun times and frequency from creature combat moves has been reduced.

Bugfixes

• Bugfix: Removed Gift Pack from mission item list.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue where rift resources were not rewarded properly based on participation over 60.
  • Bugfix: Description for Red Dragon Madness achievement fixed.
  • Bugfix: Felled trees should now decay on deed.
  • Bugfix: Fix for client crash when managing citizens when a role name was blank.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug which changed the state of cakes as candles were added - This does mean cakes can no longer be wrapped however.
  • Bugfix: A few mailing issues regarding paper products were fixed. (details below)
  • Returned paper/papyrus items cost changed from 1 copper to 1 iron.
  • Second mailing screen text changed to reflect that paper/papyrus return costs are 1 iron.
  • Inscribed paper/papyrus now shows as inscribed while in the mail (and not as just paper or papyrus.
  • Bugfix: Fix for cookbook display of nameable recipes for those who already have one named for them and make another recipe which has not been named yet.
  • Bugfix: Fix for artifacts not dropping properly in some situations upon logging out.
  • Bugfix: Possible fix for time stopping issue in game. (Hotfixed March 5)
  • Bugfix: "You cannot dig in such terrain" error should now check the correct tile. (Hotfixed March 5)
  • Bugfix: Restored examine message that went missing from floorboards.
  • Bugfix: Change the order of focus loss in combat logs so that it appears after damage text to prevent confusion.
  • Bugfix: Citizens no longer blocked from freezing lava on deed if not part of an alliance.
  • Bugfix: When improving roofs, floors and walls, material is removed from inventory at the end of the action instead of at the 5 second point.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with checks for digging skill and slopes in some situations.
  • Bugfix: 100 Plate armour smithing title should now work correctly on Epic.

Art Update 10/MAR/17

• Horses, Hell Horses and Unicorns now show bridles
  • Hell Horses show all equipment and trait colours
  • Added new animations: groom, pull, throw (combat and snowballs), take, drop
  • Firstaid and push loop to properly reflect action time
  • Diamond hota medallion shows when worn

Deliverance  maintenance
On the 11th of march at 1400 server time we'll be taking down deliverance for some extended maintenance to address the hanging issues that have occurred recently. This will be a slightly longer maintenance, at around 2-3 hours, so if you want to play, maybe it's time to take a holiday to Exodus, or Release!

1.3 in WU and sale

Wurm Unlimited has been abuzz this week with 1.3 finally landing, it's taken a while but WU is now filled with al lthe awesome content we've had for a few months.

If you're looking to get in on the action, it's currently on sale at 33% off!

We'll also be looking at more WU specific subforums over the coming weeks, for WU specific suggestions, and bettert bug reporting too, so keep eyes peeled.

More animations
Today also sees more animations come to the game, with the following being introduced:

• Groom
  • Pull
  • Throw (combat and snowballs)
  • Take
  • Drop

These will continue to create that more immersive feel when playing and we'll continue to look at animations that increase that as we go on.

Hell horse and horse gear
This update also saw the hell horse colours, as well as hell horse equipment and bridles (bridles are awaiting a client update due out shortly!) The hell horse colours are incredibly awesome, and I have to say, this one is definitely my favourite, but which is it? dun dun dun....

horsey.png

Esert makeover

As many of you know, we ran the Esert starter deed makeover competition this week, and a clear winner by a mile was the redesign! I'm keen to see this design come to life, so congratulations to Joelle and crew. You'll have to keep your eyes peeled on the area!

Community content
So this weeks community content is a little different. With 1.3 out in WU youtube streamer Weem is back, and this time he brought friends! Weem did a fantastic series of WU on the Mythmoor server and starting tomorrow he's launching his new series - called Follywood - on the otherlands server. I can't wait to see it, and in the mean time, I strongly suggest checking out his previous series here:

That's it from me this week, I hope you all have an awesome weeekend cooking and crafting, and as always, keep on Wurming!

- Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 11

Love it! Can we get protected horse corpses for branded/tame animals and hitching HH past aged?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Love it! Can we get protected horse corpses for branded/tame animals and hitching HH past aged?

protecting corpses has been discussed and will be looked at as we go on.

Hitching hell horses past aged at this point isnt in the plans, as it stands it bypasses all skill requirements that are used as the tradeoff for the hell horses speed boost (taming/Charm and 31 body control)

• Like 2

If we could only get that third-person-view turned on, we would all probably appreciate the new animations all the more!

Thanks for the update!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Hitching hell horses past aged at this point isnt in the plans, as it stands it bypasses all skill requirements that are used as the tradeoff for the hell horses speed boost (taming/Charm and 31 body control)

Retro, thanks sooooo much for this explanation. Been wondering if I was on squelch or something ;)

Do they stay hitched and can be hitched after aged if tame? I didn't remember this part of so.

they unhitch at the last stage of aged, just before they turn old.

From young, they last at least 1.5, usually 2 months before turning old, plenty of time to have replacements handy.

Also, if they are hitched and you are captaining the vehicle when they age, they will skip the unhitching until the next age check (usually a couple of days, there's a LOT of substages to aging)

Won't the new mailing rates for combined resources mean that some items are vastly more expensive to mail, if their standard unit size is more than 1kg?

EDIT: Pseudonymous sources reveal that it indeed now costs 4c to mail a single 20kg rock shard.

The opposite effect is probably happening with things that have very tiny standard unit sizes, like source salt; 5kg of source is quite a bit!

Edited by Ostentatio

with all the cool horse updates, can we finally get a PMK barding? To show off our colors in battle

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

You could add saddlebags and give a horse inventory space. Allow them to be locked, gives horses permissions that way.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Community content
So this weeks community content is a little different. With 1.3 out in WU youtube streamer Weem is back, and this time he brought friends! Weem did a fantastic series of WU on the Mythmoor server and starting tomorrow he's launching his new series - called Follywood - on the otherlands server. I can't wait to see it, and in the mean time, I strongly suggest checking out his previous series here:

Weem has also done one of the best treatments I have ever seen in his video   Wurm Unlimited - Should You Buy It?  so if you have friends curious about the game and not sure whether they would actually like it, this video does a great job at explaining why some of us are so very addicted to the game and can happily play it for years and years, and others just cannot get into it.  

Nice link to send to friends who are curious why some of us love Wurm so very much!

PS: In fact, I would highly recommend Code Club to ask Weem if they can put this video (linked to his channel to get channel views for him)  everywhere they can, to Facebook / Twitter / WurmUnlimited.com  etc because it does such a great job at explaining what the game is, what it is not, and who might like it.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

How many new hell horse colours are there? I want to make sure I have them all :)

The one today looks the same as last weeks -- unless ...  today's is a bit more ... sparkly? Also looks like its hooves are more purple, less pink ...? 

it would make sense to have eight total to match the possible colors of horses and thus possible colors of hell horse corpses (currently the only way to tell a hellhorse base color)

Last week might actually be Bloodbay due to the lighter colored feet, maybe the sparkly one today is pinto/piebald (sparkles=spots), and they are saving ultimate best-for-last, ebony jetspeed next week?

But what can possibly top hot pink hooves and sparkles????

ooooh -- maybe a "rare shimmery glow" for the ebony ...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

they unhitch at the last stage of aged, just before they turn old.

From young, they last at least 1.5, usually 2 months before turning old, plenty of time to have replacements handy.

Also, if they are hitched and you are captaining the vehicle when they age, they will skip the unhitching until the next age check (usually a couple of days, there's a LOT of substages to aging)

Many of us are still very unhappy with this change to hellhorses, even moreso now that they have made them more interesting to use since the new colors and gear appearances. 1.5 months isn't a huge length of time if you have several people living on a deed that all need constant replacement hellies for wagons and carts. This is especially true since replacement breeders have to be bred also, and often the babies seem to come in batches by sex, so it can sometimes take 2-3 breed cycles to even replace the breeding females because everything wants to come out male. Add in the time it takes for babies to arrive and the occasional failed bad breed and yeah, its a PITA. The end result is tearing your hair out breeding hellies nonstop, and god forbid you need to take a break for a week or two for real life.

The fact that they have so many substages to aging that we as players cannot see is also a problem, because we have no clue when they are going to become unreliable and unhitch. I have asked several times about an examine feature so that we could at least tell when to expect this, similar to the pregnancy timer. Retro you stated you thought this would be a good idea, but there has been 0 further word on it happening. Nobody feels comfortable about gearing these hellies, because they can/will unhitch and run away with your gear, and since the idea of using them is better speed nobody wants to just use them ungeared.

We have been given numerous reasons/stories as to why this was done. The latest you mentioned here is:

5 hours ago, Aeryck said:

So, unlike every other skill in the game, we have no benefit to raising taming and body control? Most people that use hellies are already capable of taming and riding them. Even those that aren't yet, I am sure, would be happier having it made much simpler and more reliable by requiring those skills to ride and hitch them, and having the horses remaining hitched and reliable to use until death like they were prior. At least that way it is something that you can work towards and have an ongoing benefit, as opposed to a penalty you can never overcome that will eventually bite you in the rear end. 

I used to love my hellies, but they are now such a pain to replace and use and are so unreliable that I killed all of my hellie breeders to spare myself the headache of losing more gear. These new updates don't excite me, they just make me sad and seem like a waste of time. Breaking something and then making it prettier doesn't make people want to resume using it.

• Like 2

+1 i like the change to aged hell horses+ coming of carts

1 hour ago, Elizarya said:

So, unlike every other skill in the game, we have no benefit to raising taming and body control?

You don't need taming or body control skill in order to breed hell horses or hitch them to vehicles, so those skills have nothing to do with them unhitching.

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If the reason they come unhitched is to make up for the fact that it isn't based on your skills, then yes it has everything to do with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elizarya said:

These new updates don't excite me, they just make me sad and seem like a waste of time.

That's pretty much been my thought lately too. They are doing stuff like making pretty pretty ponies, when I've not even seen a single hell-horse in the game since I came back 4 months ago. I don't even sit on my deed like some people do. I travel 2-3 whole Xanadu map tiles from my deed (On the biggest map in the game, this means nearly 2-3 hours of travel time). Still not even seen one, and they are wasting time on 'features' like this rather than fixing things that actually need fixed to solve the lack of mob problems.

Not counting the fact that I'm just under 61 Animal Husbandry skill (And apparently higher skill makes it harder to acquire animals with good traits..which doesn't even make sense.), and I haven't even been able to breed a 5 speed, (Much less a 2-3 speed...I actually had to find someone else's 3 speed and breed it with a wild to get the 3 3 speeds I currently have.) and constantly get bad trait (I specifically make sure I'm not inbreeding them too.) horses.

But let's keep putting lipstick on the pig and hoping it'll look good later.

I came back to the game after a year long break because I'd seen they were beginning to listen to the player-base again, and had finally started throwing some of the Quality of Life stuff we'd needed for so long at us, but I'm starting to wonder whether I made the right choice in coming back again.

I'm 65 taming, and 39+ body control. You know, the type of player who could actually ride a Hell Horse. Someone who's been 'footing the bill' (Paying RL money to them, even bought coin to create more in-game money.) for the game devs to have money in their pockets... (Seriously, check my Niarja...and see how much skilling over 20 I have.) But yet, players like me have no say and are basically ignored more often than not.

When you scare off dedicated players who make you money, you really need to start looking closer at your priorities...(You already lost me twice, maybe 3rd time's the charm and will make it permanent.)

I don't want to leave currently, but this current track isn't making me want to stay either...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corsan said:

That's pretty much been my thought lately too. They are doing stuff like making pretty pretty ponies, when I've not even seen a single hell-horse in the game since I came back 4 months ago. I don't even sit on my deed like some people do. I travel 2-3 whole Xanadu map tiles from my deed (On the biggest map in the game, this means nearly 2-3 hours of travel time). Still not even seen one, and they are wasting time on 'features' like this rather than fixing things that actually need fixed to solve the lack of mob problems.

Not counting the fact that I'm just under 61 Animal Husbandry skill (And apparently higher skill makes it harder to acquire animals with good traits..which doesn't even make sense.), and I haven't even been able to breed a 5 speed, (Much less a 2-3 speed...I actually had to find someone else's 3 speed and breed it with a wild to get the 3 3 speeds I currently have.) and constantly get bad trait (I specifically make sure I'm not inbreeding them too.) horses.

But let's keep putting lipstick on the pig and hoping it'll look good later.

I came back to the game after a year long break because I'd seen they were beginning to listen to the player-base again, and had finally started throwing some of the Quality of Life stuff we'd needed for so long at us, but I'm starting to wonder whether I made the right choice in coming back again.

I'm 65 taming, and 39+ body control. You know, the type of player who could actually ride a Hell Horse. Someone who's been 'footing the bill' (Paying RL money to them, even bought coin to create more in-game money.) for the game devs to have money in their pockets... (Seriously, check my Niarja...and see how much skilling over 20 I have.) But yet, players like me have no say and are basically ignored more often than not.

When you scare off dedicated players who make you money, you really need to start looking closer at your priorities...(You already lost me twice, maybe 3rd time's the charm and will make it permanent.)

I don't want to leave currently, but this current track isn't making me want to stay either...

Okay but Saroman's job isn't to fix the unbalanced animal husbandry system or the spawns. His work for the art side of Wurm is a completely separate thing than the mechanics you mentioned, and these updates should not be discredited because there are other features of the game that you don't like. Apples and oranges.

Edited by Joelle
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joelle said:

Okay but Saroman's job isn't to fix the unbalanced animal husbandry system or the spawns. His work for the art side of Wurm is a completely separate thing than the mechanics you mentioned, and these updates should not be discredited because there are other features of the game that you don't like. Apples and oranges.

Which is fine and dandy...if there's people to see the stuff he spent his hours working on. The game has a massive turnover rate of newbs joining/leaving. The few who remain are the crazy dedicated people who can survive a niche game like this.

They need functional systems over pretty eye-candy.

Wholly barren areas of land with barely any mobs on it to fight, or to use for the other game systems isn't liable to keep people around.

A small pile of sweet-looking animals, that sit on the tip top of a server height mountain and nobody can get to...that's not a functional game. That doesn't keep people coming back for more, or bring their friends to come play.

Yes, I applaud his work on these things. They do look good. I just don't want his work to be for naught when the game goes under from lack of people because they focused on making it look good rather than fixing what needs done.

You keep making a rebuttal to my posts in these news posts with a 'Eh, whatever' type attitude, and it's also not helping matters. A CA is the 'helper' of the community. Why does it seem you are focused on browbeating the customer instead? 'You'll like it or else.' didn't win many customers over the years for most products on the market.

My previous post about the bless requirement for off deed lamps I got the same response...

I realize, they 'hire'(Collect volunteers) from the customer base, but it doesn't mean you should treat others with an indifferent or even a rude attitude as it doesn't make for acquiring more players easier. Treating people's ideas with disdain actually increases the likelihood they might leave instead.

27 minutes ago, Corsan said:

Which is fine and dandy...if there's people to see the stuff he spent his hours working on. The game has a massive turnover rate of newbs joining/leaving. The few who remain are the crazy dedicated people who can survive a niche game like this.

They need functional systems over pretty eye-candy.

Wholly barren areas of land with barely any mobs on it to fight, or to use for the other game systems isn't liable to keep people around.

A small pile of sweet-looking animals, that sit on the tip top of a server height mountain and nobody can get to...that's not a functional game. That doesn't keep people coming back for more, or bring their friends to come play.

Yes, I applaud his work on these things. They do look good. I just don't want his work to be for naught when the game goes under from lack of people because they focused on making it look good rather than fixing what needs done.

You keep making a rebuttal to my posts in these news posts with a 'Eh, whatever' type attitude, and it's also not helping matters. A CA is the 'helper' of the community. Why does it seem you are focused on browbeating the customer instead? 'You'll like it or else.' didn't win many customers over the years for most products on the market.

My previous post about the bless requirement for off deed lamps I got the same response...

I realize, they 'hire'(Collect volunteers) from the customer base, but it doesn't mean you should treat others with an indifferent or even a rude attitude as it doesn't make for acquiring more players easier. Treating people's ideas with disdain actually increases the likelihood they might leave instead.

I don't mean to have an 'Eh, whatever' attitude at all. Treating people with respect is actually something that matters a lot to me--which is why I'm sticking up for the hard work that I've seen out of staff lately by kindly reminding you that the two things you were comparing (the recent art updates and mechanic changes you'd like to see happen) aren't linked, because they're from two separate branches of staff. I see no reason for there to be so many posts similar to this one berating the Devs for various things. It's taxing for me to read, I can't imagine actually being on the receiving end. I dunno. Probably just a different mindset, and I apologize for coming off harshly about it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure corsan, is your issue the lack of wild hell horses?

Creature counts balance oddly, the more reason to collect something, the less room for wild ones there are. Breeders tend to keep large stocks for genetic purposes which hinders natural respawn, as both come under the cap.

Balancing this is an ongoing work, as the statistics tend to be very different to the "feel" of how many of a creature is around, so we have to work carefully.d

Btw, you're still searching a tiny portion of xan, hell horses spawn on steppe, and the north of xan still tends to have more creatures in general, so find your nearest steppe and head that way (theres about half a dozen just outside of local of glasshollow spawn too)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Breeders tend to keep large stocks for genetic purposes which hinders natural respawn, as both come under the cap.

We've been saying it for ages, Corsan just said it again:

It's all fine and dandy between 50 and 59.99 AH to get your 5-speeds, after that you basically need your entire stock to have the same extra trait or you'll have 4-speeds with 2 extra traits all over the place, situation which basically persists until you got 90AH where it's 5spd +4.  

And all that is not counting that 1/3 chance per trait of it being replaced by a bad trait because RNG.

In short, higher skill is penalized but there's no way to freeze one's AH other than using alts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I'm not sure corsan, is your issue the lack of wild hell horses?

It's not just hellhorses, it's a bunch of mobs. My deed area literally never sees a mob but maybe once a week. That's usually just a single spawn, that I make quick work of. I've been back for a few months now, and I have not even needed to build any buildings, because it's not even needed down here.

I know all about the ratios/and people hoarding animals...because back on Pristine we had a problem with ranchers who'd hoard 200+ horses and you'd see people complaining there wasn't any to be had. This isn't even that. It's like the mobs just don't even come down here at all.

There was a long running thread about Fixing the Creature Spawn on Xanadu that was pretty much ignored. They ran some 'This is a mob dispersion map and we are tracking where they are' thing on the news way back when, and that was all we ever heard about it again. People with priests would come down to the southern areas and they'd do their animal location check thing and literally get maybe 5. There was one that I believe picked up 1 mob...

I think some of the changes they introduced did allow a few more to start moving this way or something, because I can travel about 45 minutes away and find an occasional patrolling wolf or bear...maybe a troll, but it's really really bad...compared to back when I was playing on Pristine where it felt like a 'living world', and you'd run across something to have to run for your life from.

I'm not even asking for mob on top of mob on top of mob.

With my area, there's only just a small valley between a server max height mountain and a mountain about half or more of that down in here, so maybe that thwarts them too. But I travel around and I see spawners all over the place, with almost nothing around them (After I clean the area out it stays totally dead there except for an occasional random patrol.).

Due to how the Xanadu landmass is, I can't even get over to the 'mainland' section...I've been checking connecting areas. One has a bridge that is out (A connecting building decayed and left a bridge just hanging there that is incomplete)..and another bridge there allows you over, but then there's a building corner blocking driving access there...and no real way to terraform/fix to get around it...so I'm mechanically thwarted from going that way.

In between is a giant lake.

On the other side, there's a bridge that some people threw up a mass of oddly done fencing that blocks access to a bridge over the canal there (With a 'Stop breaking my fences!' written on a noob shack and a bunch of horses in there.), but it doesn't allow you over to the mainland over past there either...because you can see along the coast there, it's just another of the crazy high mountains there with no zig-zaggy road or anything.

So just to get over to that section, we're talking over an hour and a half of driving due to the terrain (Going up and down/winding through mountains/valleys and I don't have fancy geared speed horses). I have yet to make it around to check the last way because it's so time consuming...that I always have to turn back even with my crazy long play sessions.

So basically the only other option would be to load a cart into one of my boats, and sail around..but that's time consuming in it's own way. People keep just telling me to sail to another server to hunt. So I'm supposed to take a sailing trip that takes probably 45 minutes to an hour anyway just to reach server border..just to take out the wildlife some other server needs because my server is improperly done...and I wouldn't even be able to transport horses with me anyway...?

Sorry I'm long winded, but I'm really frustrated about this stuff and trying to explain from my side.

TLDR : It's not just hellhorses, it's almost all mobs.

Edited by Corsan
Added the thread I was referring to, and checked numbers on it.
  • Like 1

From my WO and WU experience, Wurm engine either can't handle a map the size of Xanadu properly or that server needs several SSD drives on RAID, a couple more cores, and way more RAM.... wasn't able to test THAT solution much since I don't plan to build a server just for that, but a smaller version of that upgrade on my PC made my 16x16 run sweetly and allowed me to boost the mob count like crazy.

(As in upgraded to SSD and added 8giga ram)

Edited by Mordraug