Sign in to follow this  
thorgot

Higher Animal Husbandry makes it harder to breed good horses

I don't consider this to be a bug, just a game mechanic.

My AH is 92 or 93, with good breeding stock and a little planning I can reliably breed horses with 8 good traits: the 5 speed traits + tough bugger + strong&healthy + spark in eyes. I reckon about 50% of all horses I breed have these traits.

I don't understand why people defend the way it "works".

For the vast majority of players a horse is all about the five speed related traits. With your 90+ AH take two pure 5 speed, no extra trait, horses, breed them and you'll get extra traits. Excluding corrupted there are 13 other traits which have the possibility of being introduced. Of those 13 traits, 8 are negative traits. That's 8/13 or 61.5% chance that the first newly introduced trait will be bad and 3 of those traits directly affect speed, that's a 23% chance that the first introduced trait will affect the speed negatively.  Then of course there is the chance that RNG may lose you one of those speed traits anyway. Don't even try it with 8 trait horses that don't fully match, I gave up with that when breeding the new horse colours way back. Regularly getting 3 and 4 speed horses only contributed to my butchering skill.

Now try breeding that pair of 5 speed horses with only 50 AH, you only have RNG to worry about as no extra trait is going to be introduced. You are regularly going to produce a foal that is better than that produced by the poor sap with 90+ AH.

Bug or bad game mechanic? Having worked in software development for 30 years before becoming a publican I can't think of a single customer who would have been happy with such a "mechanic". As for my customers now! Let me see, I'll put your beer into a larger glass and there's a chance you'll get an extra trait to make it tastier, but there's a 61.5% chance that something's going to taste like crap as well. 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

I have recently hit level 60 of AH, and what I can observe I got more extreme trait set, I breed around 30 horses and hellhorses (all having all or almost all positive traits) and most offspring I got was either very good or very bad (bad traits, that earlier rarely happened). But I got several maxed horses that also never happened before. However, the fact genetics play so little role in offspring colour is very annoying. 

Edited by Platyna

bump

Can this please be looked into again?

Players who only wish to breed pure 5 speed horses are frustrated when they hit AH 60+

Players who only wish to breed 5 speed horses + 1 more trait (for example: certain spark) are frustrated when they hit AH 70+

I'm also using a second, non-premium character just for the grooming to delay the skillgain as long as possible.

We don't need an overhaul of the whole system, a simple option in the Character -> Body -> Profile or a new chat command "/breedingtraitsmax <1-8>" would suffice and make everyone happy.

All it has to do is limit the maximum number of traits to a chosen number between 1 and 8 (obviously also still limited by AH skill)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigrosaur said:

We don't need an overhaul of the whole system, a simple option in the Character -> Body -> Profile or a new chat command "/breedingtraitsmax <1-8>" would suffice and make everyone happy.

All it has to do is limit the maximum number of traits to a chosen number between 1 and 8 (obviously also still limited by AH skill)

That's a nice idea, would be a step in the right direction. You would get more control over your breeding at higher levels, putting you on a par with those at 50 skill.

Thanks for bumping this.  Here I thought HumidDrizzle was worthless.  😜

I am selling horses to many people, no one has problem if some horse has more traits than basic 5 (good or neutral of course), many are happy when the horses have CS...my AH is 70. One thing that kind of frustrates me, I started to get more bad traits after hitting 70, especially in rare coloured horses, the higher AH the lower should be probability of getting these. But I am also getting more top-notch horses, sp4 are occurrence, bad traits I just kill off. What annoys me in my ranching work is deed animal ratio - it would be really nice if it would decrease along with increase of mayor's AH. 

Edited by Platyna

On 3/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, Aeryck said:

Agree that speed traits should have higher chance when pulling from the pool at higher skill levels.

Just a quick note to say... if considering suggestions to increase / prioritize the speed traits, specifically, and not just "good" traits in general..... AH skill and trait breeding math also effects breeding for animals other than horses. 

I appreciate that horses are much more important in Wurmian society than a pig or cow. But - I don't care if my pig is 5 speed. When breeding the other domestic animals, my breeding priority is spark and disease resist, first. If I have to wait until 60+ AH to get past a weighted priority for the 5 speed traits to reliably breed for spark or health in my sheep, despite having 2 parents with matching traits, I will loose my frikkin' mind. 

Anyway, I know that horses with speed traits are a Wurm priority.... but please, when formulating possible solutions to the AH skill vs traits problem, remember the other breed-able animals are effected, too. 

I would like to see 1 of 2 changes.

1. For every 10 skill in AH, one random negative trait to be removed from the possibility of being bred so that by AH 80, breeders will no longer be breeding negative traits.

2. Or, for every 10 AH skill, the chance to breed any negative trait(s) be decreased by 10% so that by AH 90 there would only be a 10% chance of getting a negative trait and by AH 100, no chance at all. The exception being for related animals.

At least this way, there is a reason to intentionally progress in AH.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Whane said:

I would like to see 1 of 2 changes.

1. For every 10 skill in AH, one random negative trait to be removed from the possibility of being bred so that by AH 80, breeders will no longer be breeding negative traits.

2. Or, for every 10 AH skill, the chance to breed any negative trait(s) be decreased by 10% so that by AH 90 there would only be a 10% chance of getting a negative trait and by AH 100, no chance at all. The exception being for related animals.

At least this way, there is a reason to intentionally progress in AH.

More good ideas, but the development time is best spent on more PvP changes .....

Related comment in a more recent thread:

I'm not sure why it needs to be a "complete rework" but that language seems to translate to "no, it's too hard" even though I don't think a complete rework is needed over something like a formula change to reduce the chances of getting a negative trait as AH skill increases.

I feel like its not that easy as ppl think. Its not like they do this to make few ppl sad who feels this problem is highest and should be highest priority. There is reason for these always. For the time being if the chance of making just 5speed horses with high AH is lower than with 50AH, just make more breeding partners and slaughter bad ones at good age and they still give you leather, nat sub and food items.