Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Modifications to champion animal system

I love champion animals and have a collection of them. However, I believe the current system could use some tweaking. Here are my ideas:

1. More champions! First prize would be for all animals to spawn from lairs and therefore as champions. If that would be a problem, I'd love to have a few champion animals added. Personally I'd vote for champion tortoises.

2. Make rideable champions bigger. Their size is a large part of what makes champions so awesome, and riding on a taller animal with a better vantage point would be great.

3. Make all champions leadable. I'm thinking here particularly of champion spiders and lava spiders.

4. Allow swimming champions to be led across server borders.

5. Let male champions have a small chance of passing on the champion trait if bred with a normal female (currently only female champions have a chance). It would be great if this feature could also be applied to Christmas animals, so that males could pass on their names (dove, bird, etc.) when bred with normal females.

6. Size-appropriate drops from champions. Let champions drop more meat, glands, etc. because of their larger size. I'd particularly love it if champion tortoises dropped large tortoise shells that would make shields equivalent to large metal shields - though it would need to be modified so that tortoise shields can be improved to be a truly useful function.

7. If we're going with making more animals champions, let champion horses and hell horses have a percentage chance of passing on their names at a high animal husbandry.

8. Let some of the other champions be rideable. For example, wolves are clearly too small to ride in their normal state, but champion wolves are bigger than horses and definitely look like they can be ridden. The same for rats, cave bugs, etc.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 1

+1 except for the 4th point. Animals arent crossing servers for now, and there should be no exceptions.

• Like 1

It makes sense that there shouldn't be exceptions to the server travel rule, so instead of just letting champions do it, it would be better to change it so that all animals can cross server borders.

Champion sheep...

*heavy breathing*

+1, with corrections by Gary

Edited by zigozag
Gary is the reason for edit

6 hours ago, Attenia said:

I love champion animals and have a collection of them. However, I believe the current system could use some tweaking. Here are my ideas:

1. More champions! First prize would be for all animals to spawn from lairs and therefore as champions. If that would be a problem, I'd love to have a few champion animals added. Personally I'd vote for champion tortoises.  Would rather see more variety and flavor of animals and less spawn issues, instead of more lolbigthingstohoard

2. Make rideable champions bigger. Their size is a large part of what makes champions so awesome, and riding on a taller animal with a better vantage point would be great.  Would like champs to be the same size as before sure

3. Make all champions leadable. I'm thinking here particularly of champion spiders and lava spiders.  No, this is clearly just for hoarding purposes, I don't see any reason this should exist

4. Allow swimming champions to be led across server borders.    No unless we get some server crossing thing for animals in which moot point

5. Let male champions have a small chance of passing on the champion trait if bred with a normal female (currently only female champions have a chance). It would be great if this feature could also be applied to Christmas animals, so that males could pass on their names (dove, bird, etc.) when bred with normal females.  I was sure male has a chance too?  dunno, don't see an issue if they don't and could be changed.  No for the christmas animals, those are custom named GM spawned mobs and nothing more

6. Size-appropriate drops from champions. Let champions drop more meat, glands, etc. because of their larger size. I'd particularly love it if champion tortoises dropped large tortoise shells that would make shields equivalent to large metal shields - though it would need to be modified so that tortoise shields can be improved to be a truly useful function.   I don't see a problem with larger butchered products, but don't see much necessity either.  Certainly doesn't add much flavor

7. If we're going with making more animals champions, let champion horses and hell horses have a percentage chance of passing on their names at a high animal husbandry.  horses just shouldn't be champs... as funny as it could be, no

8. Let some of the other champions be rideable. For example, wolves are clearly too small to ride in their normal state, but champion wolves are bigger than horses and definitely look like they can be ridden. The same for rats, cave bugs, etc.  Sounds like a lot of work for not much point other than 5 seconds of fun, so no point

• Like 4

Clearly you're not into collecting / 'hoarding' animals :P But more champs would benefit fighters as well because champions give higher fight skill. My main reasoning behind the larger butcher products would actually be the large tortoise shields, extra glands and meat and stuff is just a bonus. Males definitely don't have a chance to pass on. I see this as a problem because sometimes you can't get your hands on a female champ and male is all there is. In these cases I feel there should be at least a small chance of breeding them, or males with conditions are virtually useless for breeding purposes. And I agree that we need to get some server crossing capabilities for all animals. I don't really care if the server crossing code gets written through changing the champion system or something else, as long as it happens.