Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

WSA: Mailing liquids

WSA.png

Since 1.3 Mailing liquids has been charged at 1c no matter the volume, while this has been going on since then, it’s come to the attention of the dev team and it’s been discussed, with the decision to change how combined goods in general work. With the upcoming patch this will be fixed to reflect 1c per 1 unit of volume (e.g. 1c mailing cost for every 1kg of water/milk/alcohol).

We’re providing warning for this as we know many have enjoyed the discounted mailing, and to allow you all to make sure that when the patch comes in everyone is well prepared and informed.

Update:

After ongoing discussion and community feedback, we'll be addressing a few things, firstly, liquids will now be charged 1c per 5 kgs, regardless of unit size, a small barrel of any liquid will now cost 10c (1c container 45 / 5 = 9c)

Secondly, this will now apply to all items that can be combined and mailed, hopefully improving trade of smaller combined items without damaging bulk trade.

We appreciate all feedback, but I do stress that these threads are the very point of warnings like this is to provide information and avoid the changes just being pushed on as was done in the past, so keep it constructive and avoid bashing the devs!

• Like 1

That is definitely going to cut into the market of people selling milk and brews.  That kind of sucks.

• Like 6

Don't see why it's needed. 

Agree with what Pashka said above.

• Like 1

Why is this needed again sorry? What abuse was happening with people actually being able to send liquids in the mail for once I'm genuinely curious? I feel like there can be a better middle ground like max it out at 10c or something for a barrel full of liquid, 1c per unit is just going to stop it from being mailed almost completely like before since it costs stupid amounts just to mail small amounts of liquid with the old way.

Edited by Darklords

Created a new market of selling milk with ease. Now removing it? Can we get a detailed explanation of the change, and the reasons behind the decision?

( e.g. people were sending 250kg barrels of booze that gave 100% Stam after one sip , unintended issue, need to resolve ) 

Edited by Bramson
  • Like 1

What all liquids is this going to effect,  With the upcoming patch this will be fixed to reflect 1c per 1 unit of volume (e.g. 1c mailing cost for every 1kg of water/milk/alcohol).

Does this include oils too I am assuming? Please list all effected liquids as this is just targeting water/milk/alcohol?

It will hit every liquid.  Since we have been able to seal barrels, the cost has been low.  Now well it is going to get expensive fast.

It should at least be consistent.  Charge mail based on the weight of the mail for all the items or charge based on the number of items being sent.  It's so weird that some items are stupidly expensive to send over others because their "unit" is so small.  

Yes, lets kill more of Wurm trade.

It's bad decision and I hope you will realise it soon enough.

Make it 10c per barrel if you need to, but not 1c per unit.

Keep on Wurming, not ruining Wurm...

• Like 8

just remove mailing of beverages completely and require "Bootlegging" skill to transport them.

• Like 5

i was hoping that we started moving along with all these new additions and changes to game, and that players are finally being heard. My mistake. Do not know what are you trying to achieve cause nobody cods with this crazy prices , people would rather travel and deliver- so they wont be making any money of this.  what's next- charging border crosings? Ridiciolus

Edited by StarsHollow
  • Like 3

Cool.

Shaz's Score:

Client Feedback: Negative

PR Effectiveness : N/A

Alternative value-added content : None

Business value : None

• Like 7

Cheap mailing costs encourage trade and thus encourage more player interaction, which is good for the game and player retention.

Increasing mailing costs discourages trade and player interaction, it forces people to spend hours on their boats, which is overall still quite boring (and will likely result in their produce getting hit by some lovely decay). Both of those things logically harm player retention.

I hope the devs reconsider, as this change is neither in their best interest, nor in Code Club's best interest, nor in the players best interest. At least, as far as I can see. I'd love some more insight into the reasons behind this change to help better understand the direction the game is moving in.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

why not add a static charge for liquid volume that makes sense, is 1c too low yes I think so.  Should it be 45c per small barrel, no I can not see a good reason for that.

Something like 5-10c per small barrel makes much more sense. You are wanting to charge 45c for 20c worth of milk. There by killing that market because no one is going to buy it at those cod prices. 

It is always sad to see someone push something like this through because they like to lower QoL or bash emerging markets.

• Like 3

So with this change, you're making concrete effectively worth gold.  

Concrete (one of the most difficult mechanics in the game because of how much material is used on each tile) requires a LOT of lye.  Lye is a liquid.  Being able to buy lye from folks who have excess is really important to users of concrete. Again, not because we can't create our own lye, but because we need so much of it just to effect change on one tile.

2 hours ago, DevBlog said:

WSA.png

Since 1.3 Mailing liquids has been charged at 1c no matter the volume, while this has been going on since then, it’s come to the attention of the dev team and it’s been discussed, with the decision to return it to how it worked prior to 1.3. With the upcoming patch this will be fixed to reflect 1c per 1 unit of volume (e.g. 1c mailing cost for every 1kg of water/milk/alcohol).

We’re providing warning for this as we know many have enjoyed the discounted mailing, and to allow you all to make sure that when the patch comes in everyone is well prepared and informed.

What has come to the attention of the dev team?  What has been discussed?  Oh, that players are selling liquids like crazy, and are only getting charged 1 copper for mailing!   1 measly copper?  THIS IS WRONG!!!  We MUST do something about this GRIEVOUS SIN! 

What's next?  Are we going to see mailing fees for everything based on weight?  A small barrel full of milk is going to cost 45c to mail?  That's how much they sell for!!!

I swear, every time I take a break from Wurm, come back, plunk down money for a few months on my toons and learn the devs did something GOOD while I was away, they discover their mistake and correct it.

Bah!!!

• Like 10

If this change goes through I think all items should be based on weight. Otherwise, what is the justification? I would really like to hear what the reason is and I think others would too. At least if we know what direction this is driving the game then we can decide if we agree with that direction and want to continue to support it.

• Like 2

I see no value or purpose in this. I agree that the 1c fee is probably too low for full barrels, but think there should be a REASONABLE set fee per type of item (small barrel, etc). When the cost of mailing an item exceeds the value of the item altogether, mailing it becomes no longer a viable option; and nobody wants to sail around delivering anything they don't have to. Making changes to this game that make trade and/or travel more difficult only make the economy and community weaker. 

My biggest objection to this is how it will impact the players that have set themselves up with dairies; in particular with the types of players that seem to be doing it. Wurm is cool in that many, if not most, of it's more useful skills are difficult to grind and slow in coming. This means longer term players generally have several options they can pursue to make a bit of coin here and there. This is not true of newbies, who have limited options on ways to make money. Selling milk is one of the few things that a newbie can do to produce a product of usable ql that has any appeal to an established player. We need to take that away from them why? We already lose a large number of new players to the game because they cant generate any income in the game. I would prefer keeping those people around, and with preferably with a bit of coin to spend, so that the community and economy overall are stronger. After all, the long term players also struggle to find customers that need their products and have the silver to be able to buy them. Please leave the newbies and their cow farms alone.

• Like 6

come back rolf, and quick... mad as you can be, u need to stop this kinda thing asap!

• Like 1

i don't know for you, but when i go to my local post office (yah, still happens), i have a fixed price per weight and/or containers... not the amount of items i put in it. Why not do the same in wurm. Sealed barrels for 10c. Small transport crates for 100 items for 40/50c (arrows, lumps and whatnot).

Community is spread too thin nowadays, trade by mail is the only option left, reducing the mailing price was a good thing, raising it on items that are needed in large amounts is just silly. +1 to anything improving players interactions. big fat -1 to everything else adding tedious to the game.

• Like 10

Just curious, how many people are selling vs. sending between multiple deeds?  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it sure seems like there's an awful lot of people in the liquids market...

In theory, the thought of the milk truck making deliveries, or the mead truck, would be my preference.  However, there is a lot of geography to cover.

Is this to try cover the loss of income from declining premium subscriptions?

• Like 6

Please take player feedback here and change your stance. I can't word that any other way without being angry either. Player retention should be your utmost priority in Wurm Online. QoL should be second in line. Adding new stuff third. Making changes like this that only make players upset and it makes absolutely no sense at all. 

That's all I'm going to say, thanks. :(

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this