Sign in to follow this  
GarrySwamley

Review of Wurm Online

I got into gaming 5 years ago.  Wish I had known about Wurm sooner. I discovered this through the steam site because of WU.

Found out that this version was FREE to play and that is what I did for over 2 months before I started to buy premium.   For xmas my husband gave me a 12 month subscription.  If you love the game, ask friends and family who dont know what to give you for your birthday/ xmas to give you a month or two of premium. I have found that once you have that, upkeep for deed is easy to manage with ingame money.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:58 AM, Maxthx said:

See this is what quality story telling does!

Brings people together, starts discussion, makes you think about concepts and realities.

Seriously this guy should write more stuff. How about a negative review of the cooking system? I bet that would spark a lot of discussion.

Andddd lets open that can of wurms....The killing of the %100 nutrition no matter what you ate, call it a bug whatever, that came after cooking update makes it hard now for some to find something that gives a good ccfp AND %100 nut.

On 3/7/2017 at 6:19 PM, Keenan said:

But to say that "everyone" knows about Wurm is rather folly in an argument. In conversation when I tell actual gamers I know "hey, I'm a game developer" and they ask "oh? which game?" - I always get "Oh, never heard of it.". It's hard to maintain an ego when it's constantly crushed like this! On the flip side, I also have a good idea of who would like Wurm and who would not. There has always been a flavor to Wurm that not everyone can stand. I usually ask people if they fancy the idea of building a house from scratch and potentially dying a few times first. So there's a good mix of needing to update some of our concepts and mechanics as well as advertise.

Whenever i tell someone that i have a youtube that gives tutorials on a game i have to preface it with, "youve probably never heard of it" and "it's an indy game". When i tell him it is called Wurm Online/Unlimited they reply, "Oh, never heard of it".

if you don't like the game.. f*^%k off...simple as that.. I hate these I am gonna rate what you call enjoyment articles.. telling us that we like our game for the wrong reasons. if Rolf is happy with a couple k of steady players including returning and regurgitating players then so be It I am happy too.. thanks Rolf for sticking with the original great sandbox game.. we sure would like to hear from you once in a while though we got kinda used to you talking to us.. and even visiting us. teleporting fiasco anyhow Happy Wurmin.. 10/10 nand really just buzz off and let us adults enjoy our game.. go play robotcraft or whatever you call that simpleton block game..really go do it..

• Like 3

Some good points by the OP, some not so good.

Pay to play? This could not be any further from the truth. It is about the only game I have played that, when played right is literally the exact opposite of pay to play. in fact, it can be "PAYED" to play!

Wurm is Niche. You either love it or you don't! There are no inbetween's.   

I'd give it a 10 just for the soundtrack alone. The best of Tom E Morrison.  https://youtu.be/kLENMaLLeeg

23 hours ago, Psalamon said:

if you don't like the game.. f*^%k off...simple as that.. I hate these I am gonna rate what you call enjoyment articles.. telling us that we like our game for the wrong reasons. if Rolf is happy with a couple k of steady players including returning and regurgitating players then so be It I am happy too.. thanks Rolf for sticking with the original great sandbox game.. we sure would like to hear from you once in a while though we got kinda used to you talking to us.. and even visiting us. teleporting fiasco anyhow Happy Wurmin.. 10/10 nand really just buzz off and let us adults enjoy our game.. go play robotcraft or whatever you call that simpleton block game..really go do it..

Rolf isnt working on the game anymore which kinda tells me he's lost faith in it. Now he's just the guy who gives ideas now and then and collects the earnings.

Also this is the sort of thing people are alluding to. Because people are actually obsessed with this game whenever someone tries to critique it they're met with fierce nerd rage. It's like if you tell a mother that her kid is under performing at school because he cant keep up and he needs help outside of school, she'll turn into a banshee and snarl how dare you insult her little boy and demand to speak to your surperior in true soccer mum style.

I feel like the current demographic for wurm are the sort of people who play facebook games all day every day while their kids are at school. That needs to be dealt with so that a wider demographic is drawn to the game and not just mostly stay at home parents who are content with making key lime pie and whatever else is popular in the cooking update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madt said:

Rolf isnt working on the game anymore which kinda tells me he's lost faith in it. Now he's just the guy who gives ideas now and then and collects the earnings.

Also this is the sort of thing people are alluding to. Because people are actually obsessed with this game whenever someone tries to critique it they're met with fierce nerd rage. It's like if you tell a mother that her kid is under performing at school because he cant keep up and he needs help outside of school, she'll turn into a banshee and snarl how dare you insult her little boy and demand to speak to your surperior in true soccer mum style.

I feel like the current demographic for wurm are the sort of people who play facebook games all day every day while their kids are at school. That needs to be dealt with so that a wider demographic is drawn to the game and not just mostly stay at home parents who are content with making key lime pie and whatever else is popular in the cooking update.

Big call mate!

I tend to agree with the protectionist analogy, although not the assumption that the majority of Wurmians are cut from the same cloth.

Now i'm off to check those Lime pies.:blink:

Well, some good points raised, most important ones being the community which glue wurm together and the history around... others points, not so much, specially if you don't tell where you had your experience, which sounds like PvP (and is known for being meh...).

One of the trouble with new players is that they give themselve a goal, like build a house and start a farm, maybe sometimes even put a deed... and once that's done, they are gone forever. Is it because the game is bad or they achieved their goals, we will never know since they left.

Sandbox doesn't do handholding... and doing starter towns with handholding doesn't work anyway, is there somethng to be done here, not sure. Wurm is a game where you create your history within a way larger history and the rest of the community is rather creative when it comes to it.

The pay-to-win(or pay for some harder to access wurm feature) aspect can be irritating for sure... but it's also one of the only games on the market allowing you to trade for real money without breaking the EULA.

My largest gripe on that one would be the trader nerf, removing a large part of player investment in the game for some cash (limited by the numbers of traders on a server, not like they are illimited due to space between them) and moving to free coins for all without even spending a dime for wurm.

So yes, some features require you to pay silvers, which can be bought from CCAB or taken from the kingdom funds some others players are paying into (read deed upkeep) for free.

Also, someone said to throw the cooking update on the grill, what's up with the impossible to attain affinities guys?!?! :P

Traders just caused problems, as they were the main way money entered wurm's economy outside of buying coins for cash 

4 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Traders just caused problems, as they were the main way money entered wurm's economy outside of buying coins for cash

Heh, nothing stopped anyone from investing in them (ie, spend real cash and buy them firsthand) and then taking part in the economy. Don't tell me foraging for 1g per month without spending a dime on wurm is better nowadays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

Heh, nothing stopped anyone from investing in them (ie, spend real cash and buy them firsthand) and then taking part in the economy. Don't tell me foraging for 1g per month without spending a dime on wurm is better nowadays.

In terms of game-play for the game as a whole, I think it could be argued to be better now.

From what I understand of how traders used to work... you buy a contract from someone you know, so you get a discount.  Yes, it's an initial expenditure.  The trader pays for itself relatively quickly.  Subsequently, all further traders are bought with money from the initial trader + the discount of buying those new traders from the initial trader.

All that money, which other people are providing by actually buying funds from CCAB, is in a closed loop to a few people who have already made their initial payment back and from then on profit on everyone else's contributions to the game.  They, themselves, never need to spend another dime.

With how it works now, there's at least a chance the money I give CCAB every month may wind up in the pocket of multiple new players.  With any luck, that might help them get started, get addicted err fall in love, and one day themselves contribute to CCAB.

3 hours ago, Madt said:

Spoiler

You really have a lot of grandiose assumptions in there with little to back it up.  I'm just going to address your assertion that Rolf has lost faith in the game.  Think of how far he brought it on his own.  Think back to a world of all male green toons with arms stuck to their sides standing atop a horse, which wasn't itself animated at all.  If he had faith in it for all that time he was toiling away... what makes you think he'd lose faith now?  If Rolf was the type to lose faith, we wouldn't be playing Wurm today.

Now, you may very well be right, but I don't think you have a shred of reality to base it on.  I don't either, but given the evidence from knowing where Wurm has come from, and how far it has come... I'm inclined to believe Rolf didn't just suddenly lose faith in a project he's been insanely dedicated to all these years.  He's also faced threats and competition from copy cat games, some with superior graphics at the time.  Instead of losing faith and retreating, he upped his game and persevered.

For the record, I'm not Rolf's mother, I've never made Key Lime Pie, and I'm not on facebook.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

From what I understand of how traders used to work... you buy a contract from someone you know, so you get a discount.  Yes, it's an initial expenditure.  The trader pays for itself relatively quickly.  Subsequently, all further traders are bought with money from the initial trader + the discount of buying those new traders from the initial trader.

All that money, which other people are providing by actually buying funds from CCAB, is in a closed loop to a few people who have already made their initial payment back and from then on profit on everyone else's contributions to the game.  They, themselves, never need to spend another dime.

With how it works now, there's at least a chance the money I give CCAB every month may wind up in the pocket of multiple new players.  With any luck, that might help them get started, get addicted err fall in love, and one day themselves contribute to CCAB.

Heh, didn't had to buy the trader from someone you knew, just had to drain the money back from the trader yourself, effective cost of 35s or so. Well, the more trader on a server, the less quickly they pay out, pristine & release had a really high payout because none of the new players there checked the pedia to learn about traders, which i did when i started playing and had one in the first few weeks of my playtime.

More traders on a server = less money per traders owners, so it basicly become a race to whoever own as much traders as they can, the funds are finite and anyone can tap into them... not really an elitist system. It used to fund community deeds and marketplace... all the ones you see disbanding now and then.

Initial investment by traders owner were quite large, larger than what you can expect anyone from paying in one or two years between the trader form cost, the deed form cost, the alt premium and so on. It was a gamble on the future, that you will play long enough to rip some benefits from it in the long run, also a good way to keep players actively playing the game.

And for the last point, i'm sorry, but not a lot of new players can spend hours botanizing / foraging for coins without a good armor, weapon and the skills to resist random critters attacks. You are only paying others older players who are now making a lot of money without having paid into CCAB funds first. What was percieved as imbalanced was nerfed into the ground and a new one was created.

Coming back to the review, any changes or new imbalance drive players away from Wurm, any AAA games devs can easilly shrug off a loss of 50 players here and there. The trouble is, when your community is around 3K players, you might not want to shrug them off that easilly and not only consider a vocal minority before applying changes. 

• Like 1